Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SOTD Friday 9 December 2011

Good morning. For today's synch (A Fave Frag of Yours Slammed by 'The Guide') I'm in AP Eau Emotionnelle, dismissed with 2* and described by Tania as 'cheap and a little tiresome'. Well I like it's peppery, rosy lightness, so there!

Have a great day all!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SOTD Friday 9 December 2011

Good Morning,

Égoïste for me today.

Hope everyone is well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. Caron French Can Can extract.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Back to Black - By Kilian

Currently, I am in Mouchoir de Monsieur (it's fading) and I will later sync and wear Tabac Blond for the Christmas market on the castle Rosenburg (yep, that's where the birds of prey show took place ). I can not take TS' review seriously (one star)... whether you like Tabac Blond or not, there is nothing like it - it is so singular, complex and I cannot detect any florals apart from the ylang-ylang, which is a leather contributor
    Best to all

Post Thanks / Like

Hermes Rouge
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone Today I finally got an appointment at the hairdresser to dye my hair. It's defenitely about time, because the colour that used to look almost henna red is now ( due to not using the permanent colour last time and sun bleached hair ) almost peach some places, pinkish some spots and not much colour at all underneath. So...a relief to get that sorted out :P For the synch ( slammed by Luca Turin and "The guide") I'm in Crystal Noir. I can see how this might not be terribly exciting and innovative, but I love it anyway Gotta get the book myself, because now I'm really curious about his actual review :P Have a nice day all!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! My SOTD is Serge Lutens Gris Clair.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning !. In synch with Creed Erolfa.

Happy Birthday rickbr
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 9th December 2011 at 12:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck, Ine! I sometimes have the same problem, my mom says because of all them heavy metals (gold?) naturally occurring in my hair.

Got some sniffles, one guy at the restaurant was sneezing all day yesterday, I guess I caught something airborne. My fingers are hurting as the skin is cracked, blame our weather.

Slammed by The Guide? We got those aplenty. The one featuring the "boring synthetic woody-amber drydown plus PVC raincoat" (p.73) aka Vivienne Westwood Anglomania for me today.

TGIF, right?

Will join TWolf in Anglomania. I love it. Was never one for this new Newsday version of Le Guide

Not in synch today (should have used my Love in White!!),in Chanel no 22...it's looooove!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Zibs, how are you doing? So nice to see you!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Got some sniffles, one guy at the restaurant was sneezing all day yesterday, I guess I caught something airborne. My fingers are hurting as the skin is cracked, blame our weather.

TGIF, right?

Feel better soon ((Wolfie)).

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Friday 9 December 2011

Bom aniversário Henrique, tudo de bom
    Happy Birthday Rickbr, all the best

Jean-François Laporte's

( 1938 - 2011 )

PARFUM
    D'HABIT
    ( Vintage )

Maître
    Parfumeur
    et Gantier

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, the storm lasted a long time (about sixteen hours here) and it was quite ferocious. There is surprisingly little damage here, lots of branches down, massive ivy rolled of the side of a building like a rolled up rug, and one whole big tree down in a neighbours garden, but otherwise all fine.

Here is what I want to say... I was so touched by the stay safe messages from this most wonderful of little communities. You do realise that by thinking about me your poweful magic meant that wind, rain, hail, torrents, the hounds of hell, the four riders of the apocalypse and even Auld Nick himself couldn't have got me yesterday!! Thank You all.

The beautifully still Bois Des Iles for me today.

Warum, when I grow up I am going to marry Larimar. So there!

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Well, the storm lasted a long time (about sixteen hours here) and it was quite ferocious.... but otherwise all fine.

Glad you got away and it's over now! Heard it on the news today.

*blush*... oh, thank you!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfie, I hope you feel better soon. I'm sure you've tried everything for the dry, cracked hands, but have you tried taking flaxseed oil capsules? I started taking them as soon as the weather cooled down and didn't think they were doing anything until I forgot to take them for a few days, then noticed my skin felt worse without them. Some people take fish oil capsules but I don't like them because they cause -- excuse me -- burps. And I bet you've tried every hand cream in creation like I have, but I *swear* by this: Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Ointment, Concentrated Therapy. Non-greasy, unscented, sinks right in and really does heal the skin. Here's a link (I bought mine at Stop n Shop)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultimate-H...erapy/13908298 Good luck. xo

Back to our regularly scheduled SOTD:

Parfums de Nicolai Balkis
    notes include raspberry, Turkish rose, black pepper, coffee extract, iris, benzoin and vanilla

Take care, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

...............................................Montale ~ Taj

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear that Jon and Foustie are okay after that storm. You had some serious winds there.

Twolf, have you tried pure lanolin? It's very sticky so really only good to put on overnight, but is very effective when there are cracks. I used to buy it at Walgreen's-- the most commonly known brand is Lansinoh. It's marketed to heal cracked nipples but works equally well on hands. A little bit goes a long way.

Hubby and I are headed to Westport for a date. Mexican food for lunch, smellies to sniff etc. Then back home to walk my mother to her dinner. I want to be absolutely sure she can consistently go the distance and back without the wheelchair before handing that task over to the caregiver. Yesterday she nearly pitched forward over the walker while over-reaching for the elevator button. Clearly there is a bit more training to be done.

Foustie, so glad that you, and your home, survived the storm!

I, unfortunately, am not going to be in synch today. I have an uncontrollable urge to wear Chanel 31 rue Cambon, because I love it. Unfortunately, Turin agrees with me on this one. I can't remember if he gave it 4 or 5 stars, but it is a 5 star for me.

Chanel sent out an email last week, presenting their winter favorites of the les Exclusif line. The picture shows their Christmas presentation box with gold ribbon, and stacked in front of the boxes are Bois des Iles sitting on top of Coromandel and 31 rue Cambon. I want a poster of that to frame and drool over (like Ducs poster ) That picture is the staple of my wardrobe. I always just have to figure out which sits on top, but usually Bois des Iles wins. 31 rue Cambon I think is second.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Givenchy Xeryus this mild and overcast morning.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, everyone!

I'm in Eau du Soir, the "cheap chypre" by Sisley.

Oh no...sending healing hugs to ((Wolfie)) - you feel better fast! I agree - that wretched weather can be blamed for a whole host of miseries!

Hey ineespenes, here's what LT has to say about Crystal Noir - "This is described as gardenia in the press material. No such thing, of course, merely a trashy white floral. The creative direction is by Donatella Versace, which explains a lot."
    That's a cheap shot ...he certainly doesn't shy away from getting personal.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Xerjoff Homme

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

L'Homme Libre by YSL
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain - L'Instant Pour Homme Extreme

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

In sync in:

Tabac Blond (parfum) by Caron

Yeah, Tania gave this 1 star (woody floral) and yet I think it's absolutely divine stuff. Perhaps this is because I never smelled / wore the vintage stuff.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Guerlain's Heritage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    In sync in:

Tabac Blond (parfum) by Caron...

Yeah, Tania gave this 1 star (woody floral) and yet I think it's absolutely divine stuff. Perhaps this is because I never smelled / wore the vintage stuff.
    That's such a pretty pic Mike! And, fwiw, I believe something can be absolutely wonderful, even if it was once a lot more wonderful. If we limited our enjoyment to all the things that have never been monkeyed-with, we wouldn't have anything left to love ....and that doesn't stop at perfumes, either.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 9th December 2011 at 02:23 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Balmain Jolie Madame-current

Post Thanks / Like

In synch with Rumeur by Lanvin. TS gave it one star and a one word review, "Baseless". I like it, and it might even be one I could wear for a week straight (see that thread), maybe. I see there are quite a few fragrances by Francis Kurkdjian that I have admired in the past, and so I will make it a point to explore his Maison Francis Kurkdjian fragrances in 2012.

Love to everybody! ♥

Feel better, Twolf!

Glad our Scots have weathered the gale with no injuries/damage. Very glad.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

SotE - Parfums de Nicolai Maharadjah.

Take care all.

Post Thanks / Like

Get well soon Twolf.

I'm wearing a couple of spritzes of En Avion extrait tonight. Am I in synch ?

Hooray for the weekend ! Love the dancing Elmo Jon!
    Best to all.

Post Thanks / Like

I was saddened and stunned by the news of the death of Mona di Orio today. What a loss!

Rick, Happy Birthday Sweetie!

DK Black Cashmere is my SOTM.

Stay well, ALL.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I'm wearing a couple of spritzes of En Avion extrait tonight. Am I in synch ?
    Yep, two stars and bad review! Changed my mind this afternoon... no, I did wear Tabac Blond , but went to another Christmas market at castle Grafenegg (closer) and was surprised that so many Austrian whiskies are being offered now. I had a wee sip of two (had to drive) and bought a small bottle of one to try more at home.
    In case, anyone is interested - seeing mike's pic of the Tabac Blond Parfum being yellow in color - it is NOW (light-)amber again.
    Tonight I think I will go for Ambre Russe, one I find sickly sweet on fabric but fine on my skin.
    Enjoy your evening and weekend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Henri Rousseau, The Snake Charmer, 1907

Nuit de Noir
    Exquisite leather and deepest orange liqueur;
    a swirl of woods and dark delight.
    Dancing, running, into dangerous night.
    Animals; cunning, strong and still loving,
    the smooth blackness of the ancient trees.

Top Notes
    Orange Flower, Cardamom, Ginger, Orange

Middle Notes
    Oliban, Cinnamon, Tuberose, Sandalwood, Clove, Cedarwood

Base Notes
    Amber, Leather, Musk, Tonka

Mona di Orio,
    Rest in Peace. You will be greatly missed.
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th December 2011 at 08:53 PM.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I can not take TS' review seriously (one star)... whether you like Tabac Blond or not, there is nothing like it - it is so singular, complex and I cannot detect any florals apart from the ylang-ylang, which is a leather contributor.
    My choice for today is also a leather bashed by The Guide. LT gave Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather two stars. If you think about it, one star can simply symbolize a personal mismatch between the sniffer and the sniffed. But two stars could be considered even more insulting. It's saying a fragrance is purely lousy. I mean really -- bitter leather sweetened with raspberry and jasmine and amber, using quality ingredients ... how could that be bad?

Another NOLA returnee with a cold? Just not right. Quick healing, Matildaben. More anti-viral and -biotic vibes to iechris and Twolf and any in need.

Reading your account of Scotland's weather bomb, Foustie, had me googling for your weather news. Of the videos I found, this one just got me laughing, not at anyone's expense, mind you. It just hit my funny bone, and it continues to every time I watch it.

Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea if I'm in synch or not (I haven't read the book and I'm having trouble downloading the file) ... I'm wearing Blue Amber. I don't care if LT likes it or not, I happen to love it!

Such sad news about Mona di Orio. RIP

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Rochas Absolu for the afternoon ...I had forgotten how nice this is.

Yes, the death of Mona di Orio is such a shock ...so sudden, so sad. May she rest in peace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am in sync with Lancome Poeme.
    I don't have the book and don't remember exactly what it says, but it gives Poeme one star and says something like, "synthetic floral". Not at all the way I experience the scent. I find that our minds perceive "synthetic" smells in a very different way. So many people love Ormonde Jayne Ta'if, and I cannot wear it at all because something comes up in the heart that I perceive as "synthetic" and cannot get past it. So no Ta'if for me, Holy Grail for many is "synthetic" for me. But I can wear Poeme with its flowers, flower pollen and beeswax. Seems very natural (athough of course it is not). Interestingly, honey notes from Serge Lutens respected by many are also "synthetic" on my skin and in my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I can not take TS' review seriously (one star)... whether you like Tabac Blond or not, there is nothing like it - it is so singular, complex and I cannot detect any florals apart from the ylang-ylang, which is a leather contributor
    Best to all
    No, I cannot believe it. Really? I did not realize that it's a one star in the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    Hermes Rouge
    Is this one slammed by the guide as well? Or are you not syncing, Sophi?

I don't want to believe the news about Mona di Orio. Is it really true?

Wearing No.5 parfum.
    I don't know -or care for that matter- what The Guide says about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I am in Parfum Sacre, which the Guide does not slam, but tonight I will be in N'aimez que Moi, which it does slam.

(Adding my two cents for Twolf -- make sure you keep your hands out of water as much as possible. This time of year offers such a Catch-22 -- we frequently wash our hands to avoid getting sick, then we witness our hands getting unbelievably dry and cracked. You might also try something that contains lactic acid, which can help. I often rub Vaseline or Aquaphor into the worst areas, after I have applied a heavy cream or lotion. That usually works for me.)

Take care, all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Darn it, someone beat me to spitting it out. Again!

Such a shocking piece of news about Mona di Orio. Too young, too gifted. Slammed by the Royal Couple, too. Peace.

Thanks for all the advice about my finger cracks.
    Last edited by Twolf; 9th December 2011 at 08:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ha Quarry! I am still laughing! I am going to show everyone.

Have a good weekend all. Take Care.

Post Thanks / Like

There really is something very funny about that, Quarry. I have a friend from Glasgow (lives here now) who would love that. I will have to send her that.

My husband really hates my SotD, Rumeur. He has complained about it several times today, and threw the office windows open right after I first applied it. This afternoon when I came back from doing shopping and errands he asked me whether I had scrubbed it off, and I said no, and he said he didn't think so. :-/ I'll probably have a nice warm bath tonight with a nice new bar of Bourbon French Perfumes' vetiver soap. He loves vetiver, so that should be no cause for complaint.

I forgot say before...Happy Birthday, rickbr!

Post Thanks / Like

Wearing a mixture of scents: Montale Sandalsliver (having acquired a decant after getting turned on to it by a sample from the New Orleans pile), a bit of Geisha Amber Rouge (I dropped by Knows Perfume to test it, but do not like since it contains my nemesis honey note), and Frou Frou's night cream, which I'm using as a hand cream.

I should try those flax seed oil capsules - I know my husband has some.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Darn it, someone beat me to spitting it out. Again!

Thanks for all the advice about my finger cracks.
    Wolfie, you do surprise me!

Yeah, i second the regular supplementing of flaxseed oil or even more valuable hempseed oil to boost your skin 'performance' from inside. Go for it but regularly! Forget the salmon oil... yep, burp...

NR For Her EDT.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We did a ton of smelling today and some buying...of herbs and spices! My husband and I spent a happy half-hour sniffing the sample jars at Penzey's Spices in Norwalk and selecting what to buy. Between the various peppers and chilies, I spent some time sneezing as well!

I re-tested the various Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo fragrances at Bluemercury and ended up wearing Mandorlo di Sicilia the rest of the day. It is still wafting up at me very pleasantly so I bit: used my $15 gift card at Sephora online to buy a 2 oz. bottle.

I will say this about it: if you like Hilde Soliani Conaffetto but balk at the stiff price and lack of smaller sizes, do try Mandorlo di Sicilia-- it's very close. I actually find it nicer, in fact.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a nice day, 30 Roses. I love to browse the Penzey's here. I haven't been there in a while, you've just reminded me.

SotE/SotN is Slatkin Black Fig & Absinthe lotion after a shower with Hové Vetiver soap. I have a mug of peppermint tea and a good book and my jammy jim-jams on and I'm ready for a cozy evening in bed. I really love evenings like this. Night, all.

Lolita Lempicka after an evening of indoor tennis.

Post Thanks / Like

(Histoires de Parfums)

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Finished up in Antidote
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time