Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Women under 35 and classic perfumes

Hi Ladies,

I'm wondering how many women under 35 enjoy wearing very classic, powdery, rich perfumes. I mean things like a vintage version of Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue, Le Dix, No. 5, etc. If so what is your favorite and why?
    Last edited by Puente; 15th December 2011 at 12:25 AM.
    Eliam Puente, Novice Perfumer

Default Re: Women under 35 and classic perfumes

I have a female relative who enjoys these scents. She enjoys Habanita.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm 32 and I will wear powdery & /or classic scents when I feel like it.
    Arpege, Pretexte, My Sin , Autumn Woods, Golden Autumn, Wind Song, L'air du Temps, Farouche, Bal A' Versailles,
    No 5,22,19, Caleche ,
    and modern powdery Love's Baby Soft, Heaven Sent, Bvlgari Blv, Blv Notte, Barbara Bui and Infusion De Iris too .
    I wear what I am in the mood for . Sometimes it's powdery ,sometimes it's floral, gourmand,aquatic,fruity,spicy....?
    Fragrance Omnivore

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife is 35 but seems younger, and she wears Shalimar. She actually wore it when she was a teenager for a while when she received it as a gift from an aunt. She also has a good friend that just turned 30 and has been wearing No. 5 EDT for a some years.

Not all young-ish women like fruity florals :-). I'm glad mine doesn't!

Post Thanks / Like

I am well over 35 now but in my early twenties wore Shalimar and L'Heure Bleu.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

I turn 32 soon and some of my favourite scents are Mitsouko, Shalimar, L'heure bleue...etc When I think about it, just check my wardrobe :P In general I prefer spicy scents or scents with a bit of history. Not that into fruity florals, but there are always exceptions of course

Post Thanks / Like

I am a male over 35 and I like to wear them .

I'm 22 and I love the vintage LHB, I use it at night mostly. I use it more as a winter sleep-scent than an everyday frag, but I do wear it on special occasions too. It's comforting, yet uplifting. I don't think it's too old for me, and it's definitely my favorite, it evokes warmth and emotion within me. I love, love, love it..

I'm under 35 and wear Chanel no 5 on a regular basis,turned out to be one of my most used ones..because (at least the edt) it's so versatile.
    Habanita is in my top 5 (maybe even top 3),I own,use and love Shalimar and Chanel no 22 and am planning to buy Amouage Gold...so,yeah!

I'm now slightly over 35 but I started wearing Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue in my early twenties.
    Same as Donna!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I'm very glad to hear that there is still a lot of younger women who enjoy these classics. The reason I asked is because I just received small vials of Guerlain's vintage Rue de la Paix and Pois de Senteur and wondered why so many younger people these days hate these classics so much. Sure, they are vintage and smell from another era but that's what makes them beautiful in my book. I showed them to my roommate (female 23) and she hated them, but then again, she's into the whole fruity, fresh, modern scents of today. I'm just a novice perfumer still exploring and discovering my style but I would LOVE to make a collection of scents in the style of these classics, powdery, rich, vintage. Thank you for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

I think some people, regardless of age, are just more interested in scent and perfumes, and others do not have that passion. Maybe they wear fragrances but are not so intensely interested in them. When I was in my 20s I enjoyed Guerlain classics, particularly Shalimar, but also Chamade; and I also enjoyed Caleche, Le Dix, Arpege (looks like I was into aldehydes!). I also wore fragrances that are now classics but were not yet at that point. I am older now.

Post Thanks / Like

My beautiful girlfriend is 22 years old, and her favorites are Mitsouko, Opium, Organza, and Spellbound. She always gets compliments, but I can imagine those being scents that not everyone can pull off. She does have the air of a woman from a different time...

That really is her. Tell me she doesn't scream "Mitsouko!"

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, most definitely! She has a very beautiful, classic look to her and she can pull those perfumes off perfectly.

I am over 35 now but I always liked the ''classics'' best, I never liked sweet or fluffy. Your taste in perfumes has nothing to do with your age, but only with your taste.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Im 24, im male, and i own and wear them with a huge passion.

Favorites are Bal a Versailles, Opium and Shalimar

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I am over 35 now but I always liked the ''classics'' best, I never liked sweet or fluffy. Your taste in perfumes has nothing to do with your age, but only with your taste.
    I strongly agree. It annoys me to no end when people say that the classics smell like "an old lady". I love smelling these perfumes on women of any age. Every decade has its fashions in perfumes, but the classics stand the test of time because they are truly great.

Exactly. The only connection you should make with these fragrances is not ''old lady'' or ''classic fragrance for the mature woman older than 35'' but: ''For the woman/girl with discernment''
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. The only connection you should make with these fragrances is not ''old lady'' or ''classic fragrance for the mature woman older than 35'' but: ''For the woman/girl with discernment''
    I agree totally. Thank you all very much for your comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I loovvve the scent of Coco Mademoiselle on a woman
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

And let's not forget, all these perfumes were designed for women. Not ''old ladies'', for women.

And even that doesn't mean a man can't wear them.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2000 View Post
    I loovvve the scent of Coco Mademoiselle on a woman
    That's great, but that's not a classic. That's a flanker, sweet and synthetic, aimed at ''the younger woman who cannot appreciate the ''classic'' #5''.
    The pink color of the juice is a dead give away.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fair enough FrouFrou...I guess 10 years old isn't a classic but the notes are powdery if you ask me : )

But does ''powdery'' equal ''classic''?
    When I think ''classic'' I think of a perfume which has withstood the test of time, by women buying it over many decades.

Interesting, what exactly makes a perfume a ''classic''? And how much time needs to have past for a perfume to become ''classic''?
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FrouFrou,
    Interesting question....I was wondering what after your last post.
    What makes a perfume a "classic"? Does time play a part? or can something be an instant classic?

I think time does play a part, otherwise it wouldn't be a ''Classic'' but it could be a ''one day wonder''. until it has proven itself for a number of decades, but then we are back to ''a lot of time''...
    Mitsouko was a hit and it is still loved, so a classic. But at the time it was brought out I am sure nobody would have seen it as a ''classic'' but as a daring new perfume, thoroughly modern.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

double comment
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FrouFrou.......Well said

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes Puente, Mirah, lovingthealien, and Charlie2000!

Just echoing Frou Frou's post- that "powdery" does not define "classic" for me, either. There are classics which are non-powdery- chypres, greens, and spicy orientals.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by GelbeDomino View Post
    I started wearing Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue in my early twenties.
    Same as Donna!
    Yeah, me too! I even wore Samsara and Rive Gauche in high school.
    But now that I am in my thirties, I am exploring fruity scents.
    I just don't think age has a smell. It's as simple as that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the welcome knit at nite. FrouFrou and Charlie2000, I also don't believe that "powdery" automatically means classic though a very good amount of classic perfumes (from late 1800 to the 1980's) were powdery. There can be a good discussion on what makes a perfume a classic but I go by these two basic definitions:

1) Judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.

2) A work of art of recognized and established value.

I also consider old perfumes that are no longer around but were considered great while on the market, to be classics. However, I don't consider perfumes that have been completely or cheaply reformulated or have been reintroduced to the market with a different formula to be classics. For these, I look for the vintage bottles. Those are the real classics.

I'm just under 35 and love some of the classics you mentioned, though not all of them. Big hitter aldehydes are not always my thing (No. 5, Le Dix, Quadrille, etc.), I can appreciate them but don't really feel like wearing them. Some exceptions are Dana Ambush and vintage Arpege.

I can appreciate powdery scents more when they are dominated by other notes and the powder is only there to make the round and lush. For instance I am wearing L'Heure Bleu right now (love it in all forms) and adore Shalimar in all its incarnations be it vintage or modern, parfum or EDT. I also love Habanita and Tabu.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    I can appreciate powdery scents more when they are dominated by other notes and the powder is only there to make the round and lush. For instance I am wearing L'Heure Bleu right now
    Hi bonsai, have you tried vintage L'Heure Bleue? On my skin it turns to pure powder and I love it. I haven't tried Habanita yet but have heard great things about it. I'll look for a vintage sample of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Knit at Nite

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puente View Post
    Hi bonsai, have you tried vintage L'Heure Bleue? On my skin it turns to pure powder and I love it. I haven't tried Habanita yet but have heard great things about it. I'll look for a vintage sample of it.
    Puente, Habanita in modern is still a wonderful scent. The vintage has more tobacco, the modern more vanilla
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I am 20 and I love classics like No. 5 and Shalimar. I wear them because I love them but also because they make me feel refined, classic and just so womanly. I feel like a woman and that's what I love. I have a few age appropriate pieces in my wardrobe which are good for casual spraying and school but what really gets me going is Shalimar. I'm just happy to see I'm not alone. One more Coco Mademoiselle and I would have broke down in tears. xx cheries

Oh and Coco herself said that for one to be unforgettable she must be different. Something along those lines.

The ''classics'' were never meant to be ''age appropriate''. They were made for beautiful women. Or to make women smell beautiful. (or men)
    There are no ''age appropriate'' perfumes. When I was 16 I thought Miss Balmain and Chanel no19 were quite ''appropriate'' for me.

Maybe the pink sweety, fruity, flowery girly fragrances Óre ''age appropriate'', because they are designed towards the silly teen bimbo.
    A least that's what the advertising for them seems to tell us.

Nice quote by Coco, and very true I think.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Post Thanks / Like

The ''classics'' were never meant to be ''age appropriate''. They were made for beautiful women. Or to make women smell beautiful. (or men)
    There are no ''age appropriate'' perfumes. When I was 16 I thought Miss Balmain and Chanel no19 were quite ''appropriate'' for me.

Maybe the pink sweety, fruity, flowery girly fragrances Óre ''age appropriate'', because they are designed towards the silly teen bimbo.
    A least that's what the advertising for them seems to tell us.

Nice quote by Coco, and very true I think.
    I love your comments FrouFrou. They are so direct and true.

L'Heure Bleu frankly tried to smother me on our first meeting, so she's not a friend. But several of the other softish classics are: Habanita, Chantilly, No. 5, Arpege, and (depending on your idea of classic) Krasnaya Moskva and vintage Evening in Paris. I can see why the fierce chypres and the really dense orientals might be challenging to those who only really remember nineties minimalism and modern gourmands, but I don't entirely see why the powdery and/or aldehydic scents aren't more popular with younger women. They're so comforting and dignified and easy to wear.

Mind you, I give B&BW mad props for sticking a distinctly old-fashioned powdery floral blend onto a modern white musk base and getting young ladies across the country to buy Moonlight Path. It's a perfect gateway drug.

Post Thanks / Like

I am guessing what was meant is heavier frags and or non-commercial. Well, I turned 35 this year but in my teens I wore frags like Poison, White Linen, etc. What one wears depends on personal taste, looks, moods and how refined a taste someone has. What I mean is that most women have absolutely no knowledge of or passion for perfume, what they consider good is what is commercially well known, mostly blah, fruity, watery, etc. etc. and oftentimes horrible, they may also call most things a bit more interesting, heavier, refined, complicated and/or just really well composed "old-lady", where in fact we know no such thing exists really.

I also have very dark hair and eyes and pale skin and am a passionate person, I will also often wear a true red lipstick and a dark, heavy fragrance would suit me really well. I love them too, I am not personally a fan of Chanel as much but I love Dior like Diorissimo (vintage), Clinique Aromatics Elixir, etc..

All in all perfume is a personal choice dependant on so many factors but not age.

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blkbrd View Post
    Mind you, I give B&BW mad props for sticking a distinctly old-fashioned powdery floral blend onto a modern white musk base and getting young ladies across the country to buy Moonlight Path. It's a perfect gateway drug.
    No joke. Moonlight Path was my signature scent in high school (I'm 27 now) and I was ALWAYS complimented on my smell by men: boyfriends, guys sitting next to me in class, even DEBATE OPPONENTS (seriously, happened all the time). Girls were the ones who said I smelled like an old lady. Didn't bother me then, doesn't bother me now. BRING ON THE POWDER!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I wore Opium, Poison, Byzance, Shalimar, Mitsouko, No 5, No 19 and Givenchy III and Interdit from my teens and through my 20s. I still love them all and now feel I own them more than when I was younger. Think it's more personal taste than agr

Post Thanks / Like

Like most I wore *these classics* from my teens.......my fun/(nicky????) name used to be Coco because I loved it so much!

It seemed normal at school as most of my classmates fathers were also at sea, and I recall *Jicky* being a hit one summer ...as someones father gave us all a bottle for his daughters name day! We were 14!

The only thing ever banned at school was straight patchouli oil as it gave the teachers headaches.

The only fragrance that ever seemed *for an age * was 4711......and that was for people under 9 and over 90!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes Puente, Mirah, lovingthealien, and Charlie2000!

Just echoing Frou Frou's post- that "powdery" does not define "classic" for me, either. There are classics which are non-powdery- chypres, greens, and spicy orientals.
    I have to echo this sentiment.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore No.5 as a teenager - from the age of 18 until I was 21-ish. It's funny, I would never wear it now (I'm 30) as it would feel too old.

Obviously perfume can be worn at any age according to individual preference, but I personally feel that with these "classic" powdery scents there are two ages at which they work best: firstly as a very young woman when they are unexpected... they become somehow edgy and daring in this context; and then secondly as a mature woman, when they complement your complexity and elegance. I feel like right now, I am too much in between those poles and that they (or at least No.5) wouldn't work well, it would be aging rather than interesting.

One "classic" scent that I think actually works for all ages, is Arpege... I just feel classy in it, no matter what age I am.

I'm 27 and have been wearing Shalimar for years. I like what I like, powdery or not. I also enjoy cacharel Lou Lou, YSL opium, YSL Yvresse (which I have loved since I got a mini at 14), YSL Paris, Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt... You get the idea. I don't wear these exclusively - I have lots of fruity florals, aquatics etc.