Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Women under 35 and classic perfumes

Hi Ladies,

I'm wondering how many women under 35 enjoy wearing very classic, powdery, rich perfumes. I mean things like a vintage version of Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue, Le Dix, No. 5, etc. If so what is your favorite and why?
    Last edited by Puente; 15th December 2011 at 12:25 AM.
    Eliam Puente, Novice Perfumer

Default Re: Women under 35 and classic perfumes

I have a female relative who enjoys these scents. She enjoys Habanita.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

I'm 32 and I will wear powdery & /or classic scents when I feel like it.
    Arpege, Pretexte, My Sin , Autumn Woods, Golden Autumn, Wind Song, L'air du Temps, Farouche, Bal A' Versailles,
    No 5,22,19, Caleche ,
    and modern powdery Love's Baby Soft, Heaven Sent, Bvlgari Blv, Blv Notte, Barbara Bui and Infusion De Iris too .
    I wear what I am in the mood for . Sometimes it's powdery ,sometimes it's floral, gourmand,aquatic,fruity,spicy....?
    Fragrance Omnivore

My wife is 35 but seems younger, and she wears Shalimar. She actually wore it when she was a teenager for a while when she received it as a gift from an aunt. She also has a good friend that just turned 30 and has been wearing No. 5 EDT for a some years.

Not all young-ish women like fruity florals :-). I'm glad mine doesn't!

I am well over 35 now but in my early twenties wore Shalimar and L'Heure Bleu.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Alaďa by Azzedine Alaďa

I turn 32 soon and some of my favourite scents are Mitsouko, Shalimar, L'heure bleue...etc When I think about it, just check my wardrobe :P In general I prefer spicy scents or scents with a bit of history. Not that into fruity florals, but there are always exceptions of course
    Currently wearing: Dune by Christian Dior

I am a male over 35 and I like to wear them .

I'm 22 and I love the vintage LHB, I use it at night mostly. I use it more as a winter sleep-scent than an everyday frag, but I do wear it on special occasions too. It's comforting, yet uplifting. I don't think it's too old for me, and it's definitely my favorite, it evokes warmth and emotion within me. I love, love, love it..

I'm under 35 and wear Chanel no 5 on a regular basis,turned out to be one of my most used ones..because (at least the edt) it's so versatile.
    Habanita is in my top 5 (maybe even top 3),I own,use and love Shalimar and Chanel no 22 and am planning to buy Amouage Gold...so,yeah!

I'm now slightly over 35 but I started wearing Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue in my early twenties.
    Same as Donna!

Wow. I'm very glad to hear that there is still a lot of younger women who enjoy these classics. The reason I asked is because I just received small vials of Guerlain's vintage Rue de la Paix and Pois de Senteur and wondered why so many younger people these days hate these classics so much. Sure, they are vintage and smell from another era but that's what makes them beautiful in my book. I showed them to my roommate (female 23) and she hated them, but then again, she's into the whole fruity, fresh, modern scents of today. I'm just a novice perfumer still exploring and discovering my style but I would LOVE to make a collection of scents in the style of these classics, powdery, rich, vintage. Thank you for the replies.

I think some people, regardless of age, are just more interested in scent and perfumes, and others do not have that passion. Maybe they wear fragrances but are not so intensely interested in them. When I was in my 20s I enjoyed Guerlain classics, particularly Shalimar, but also Chamade; and I also enjoyed Caleche, Le Dix, Arpege (looks like I was into aldehydes!). I also wore fragrances that are now classics but were not yet at that point. I am older now.

My beautiful girlfriend is 22 years old, and her favorites are Mitsouko, Opium, Organza, and Spellbound. She always gets compliments, but I can imagine those being scents that not everyone can pull off. She does have the air of a woman from a different time...

That really is her. Tell me she doesn't scream "Mitsouko!"

Yes, most definitely! She has a very beautiful, classic look to her and she can pull those perfumes off perfectly.

I am over 35 now but I always liked the ''classics'' best, I never liked sweet or fluffy. Your taste in perfumes has nothing to do with your age, but only with your taste.
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Im 24, im male, and i own and wear them with a huge passion.

Favorites are Bal a Versailles, Opium and Shalimar

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I am over 35 now but I always liked the ''classics'' best, I never liked sweet or fluffy. Your taste in perfumes has nothing to do with your age, but only with your taste.
    I strongly agree. It annoys me to no end when people say that the classics smell like "an old lady". I love smelling these perfumes on women of any age. Every decade has its fashions in perfumes, but the classics stand the test of time because they are truly great.

Exactly. The only connection you should make with these fragrances is not ''old lady'' or ''classic fragrance for the mature woman older than 35'' but: ''For the woman/girl with discernment''
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Exactly. The only connection you should make with these fragrances is not ''old lady'' or ''classic fragrance for the mature woman older than 35'' but: ''For the woman/girl with discernment''
    I agree totally. Thank you all very much for your comments.

Blog Entries

I loovvve the scent of Coco Mademoiselle on a woman
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

And let's not forget, all these perfumes were designed for women. Not ''old ladies'', for women.

And even that doesn't mean a man can't wear them.
    www.aafke-art.com

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2000 View Post
    I loovvve the scent of Coco Mademoiselle on a woman
    That's great, but that's not a classic. That's a flanker, sweet and synthetic, aimed at ''the younger woman who cannot appreciate the ''classic'' #5''.
    The pink color of the juice is a dead give away.
    www.aafke-art.com

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Blog Entries

Fair enough FrouFrou...I guess 10 years old isn't a classic but the notes are powdery if you ask me : )

But does ''powdery'' equal ''classic''?
    When I think ''classic'' I think of a perfume which has withstood the test of time, by women buying it over many decades.

Interesting, what exactly makes a perfume a ''classic''? And how much time needs to have past for a perfume to become ''classic''?
    www.aafke-art.com

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Blog Entries

FrouFrou,
    Interesting question....I was wondering what after your last post.
    What makes a perfume a "classic"? Does time play a part? or can something be an instant classic?

I think time does play a part, otherwise it wouldn't be a ''Classic'' but it could be a ''one day wonder''. until it has proven itself for a number of decades, but then we are back to ''a lot of time''...
    Mitsouko was a hit and it is still loved, so a classic. But at the time it was brought out I am sure nobody would have seen it as a ''classic'' but as a daring new perfume, thoroughly modern.
    www.aafke-art.com

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

double comment
    www.aafke-art.com

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Blog Entries

FrouFrou.......Well said

Welcome to Basenotes Puente, Mirah, lovingthealien, and Charlie2000!

Just echoing Frou Frou's post- that "powdery" does not define "classic" for me, either. There are classics which are non-powdery- chypres, greens, and spicy orientals.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Bronze by Ellen Tracy

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by GelbeDomino View Post
    I started wearing Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue in my early twenties.
    Same as Donna!
    Yeah, me too! I even wore Samsara and Rive Gauche in high school.
    But now that I am in my thirties, I am exploring fruity scents.
    I just don't think age has a smell. It's as simple as that.