Code of Conduct

Cool In Defense of Cool Water

I find it interesting that Cool Water has such stigma attached to it, being that it's such a quality fragrance with an almost universal appeal amongst everyone except the perfumeratzi. I think this has less to do with the merits of the cologne, and more to do with status, snobbery and conspicuous consumption of those who wish to use cologne like Paul Wahl uses his Grillz. One certainly could buy a bottle of Green Irish Tweed which is virtually identical, but the question is, why would you?

You see, all this chatter about GIT being "natural" versus Cool Water "synthetic" comes to naught when you consider that no cologne is "natural" and anything mass produced (GIT included) is the artful creation of a set of busy chemists whose work is disguised by clever marketers trying to convince you that their signature ambre gris note isn't in fact "1-4-7 polethylglycol" . This stuff sits on shelves for months, maybe years, and fragrances tend not to take nicely to such treatment, hence the idea that anything "au naturale" is in that bottle of Chez Bond you've got kicking around in your shelf is naive beyond comprehension.

Owning several bottles of cologne, I think I'm up to about 40 now; everything from Millisime Imperiale to garden variety Farenheit by Dior, I settled on Cool Water because on the criteria that matter, it was simply without equal. For longevity, projection, price, and the most important "does this smell good;" the answer was unequivocally yes.

So while I could've spent upwards of $160 to buy a 4oz bottle of GIT, I instead opted to spend around $45 for a 6.7 oz of Cool Water. The scent is virtually identical on drydown, it has greater longevity than GIT and it's drawn more compliments than all the other colognes I have combined. It's true, I don't get to post videos on youtube about how "money" I am because I just blew $380 on a flacon of GIT; but that sort of thing lost its appeal shortly after puberty.

Cool Water is now my signature scent, the others get some wear if I want variety, but I have to say it's the cologne I feel most comfortable in. For those curious, don't be dissuaded by the silliness that goes on about Cool Water, at the end of the day, that fragrance smells like bottles more than quadruple its price (GIT, Chez Bond), which means you might want to try it before dismissing it off hand as "Eau de Hoi Poloi." It's fresh, versatile and incredibly well priced.

Simply because something is popular doesn't mean it's bad, in fact, it's probably popular for a reason.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: In Defense of Cool Water

Real question is cool water vs acqua di gio . .

Post Thanks / Like

Some eight or so years ago I posted here about GIT smelling very similar to Cool Water, and that it really wasn't worth getting GIT for that reason.

Unfortunately, the time came when I looked back at that post and wondered "What on earth was I thinking".
    I currently have a big and a small bottle of Cool Water, and two tubes of Cool Water aftershave balm - it is a very good scent.
    And I've just finished a bottle of GIT, and still have two more unopened bottles.

You are correct though. There is a tendency to put down distinctive scents that have been extremely popular, and that most often happens from US posters. Drakkar Noir is usually treated as a joke, and Eternity is just unloved. At least Cool Water gets occasional respect, as evidenced by your post. People seem to miss the point of the scent - it's not all about artistic and aesthetic merit - instead it's meant to last long, keep you fresh, and smelling pretty good.
    Regards,
    Renato

I love Cool Water but the problem is that way too many people wear it where I live, and I like to smell at least somewhat unique. That means if I'm going somewhere (besides family etc) I'm not going to wear Cool Water, ADG or JPG Le Male because I know 80% of the people there will be wearing it.

To me it's more than just smelling good, it's a way of expressing myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I still enjoy Cool Water sometimes. Longevity isn't that great on me. Eternity and Drakkar I just don't like.

Cool Water will always have its detractors, but it's still a nice scent IMO.

I love Cool Water, but I must say that, besides from the opening, Davidoff´s and Creed´s offers go separate ways.

Here in Brasil a Perfume House called "O Boticário" makes an Eau de Cologne called Quasar, wich is an cheaper version of Cool Water. By cheap I don´t mean bad, but clearly with cheaper components.

When I first try GIT I thought of it. "Cool Water is to GIT the same Quasar is to Cool Water".

But there´s some substancial differences that become obvious: In my skin, one of the star/main notes of GIT completely lack in Cool Water: the Violet Leaf. This note, combined with verbena make them total different beasts to me.

But I do like Cool Water, though, and believe is an awesome fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy Cool Water and believe it or not, I have not came across anyone using CW in a while. Im fortunate enough to have been exposed a whole lot of natural plants, flowers and woods so I never look for that in fragrances.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

never smelled cool water on anyone here, serious. but always smell le male, adg

Post Thanks / Like

If your cheap buy Cool Water. I you like Cool Water, but want something that's superior buy GIT. Pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    If your cheap buy Cool Water. I you like Cool Water, but want something that's superior buy GIT. Pretty simple.
    Although I don't think you meant to be insensitive, inadvertently labeling people cheap who opt for Cool Water instead of GIT (at many times its price) is not really fair. I think people opt to go the "bang for buck" route are smart with their money. If you can afford GIT, more power to you, but people who buy Cool Water are not cheapskates. Again, I really don't think you intended for it to come off that way. It's more a reminder of the power of words and how to chose them carefully. Please don't take this as a personal attack because it's not my intent. I'm just a perfectionist sometimes that likes to correct things I see as slightly unjust.

However, for those who do consider themselves cheapskates and are proud of it, Aqua Quorum is a good replacement for Cool Water. ; ) I actually don't like Cool Water.
    Last edited by jclaxton78; 10th December 2011 at 07:19 PM.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    Simply because something is popular doesn't mean it's bad, in fact, it's probably popular for a reason.
    Justin Bieber

[/argument]

you lose

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Cool Water = synthetic mess

G.I.T = arguably one of the best frags ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Justin Bieber

[/argument]

you lose
    Brutality! lol

Cool water = dish detergent
    GIT = the best fresh scent out there

My guess it that CW was reformulated, because I find it to be "synthetic" and "blob"-like. By contrast, a similar frag like Molto Smalto is fabulous (that one was just discontinued rather than being reformulated, from what I understand). The point is that the idea is good but it still has to be done right.

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell an obvious difference between CW and GIT. I think GIT smells much better and more upscale. It is entirely overrated IMO. In it's defense many colognes have tried to copy it, CW especially. Aspen copied it better though. I do however, reach for GIT more often than my bottle of CW, but neither are high on my favorite colognes list. I agree with the OP though. CW is a good cologne. Nobody wears it around here that I've noticed either.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Post Thanks / Like

I think Cool Water is still a relevent scent as well. But I think GIT is more refined and has a more beautiful presentation. And for me, GIT does have elements that CW does not on my skin. CW can be a bit brash on me actually. I own both and easily discern the differences. If you look around, you can find GITfor much less than $160 for the 4.0. Walgreens ran the 4.0 for around $106 with a coupon receintly. But that is still a stretch from the CW tag. GIT may not be twice as good as CW for some, but it is worth the extra to me.

Trying to change a perfume snob's mind is like trying to get the rich to pay their fair share of taxes.

BRO, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

I will admit that Cool Water is better than people give it credit for especially given the fact that it was made by the same perfumer who made GIT. I have GIT but to me it does not seem to last long like many Creed scents. Maybe it olfactory fatigue but I can clearly smell many other scents such as Pure Malt until they die out 8 hours or more later. This clearly is a definite advantage Cool Water has over GIT. Synthetic = yes. Bad = absolutely not. Anything can become sickening with overexposure and that is what happened to masterpieces like Cool Water and ADG. They are both still masterpieces though and this is backed by their worldwide acclaim.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really see the similarities between Cool Water and GIT. On my skin, the violet leaf and verbena in GIT give it something magical but Cool Water's mint and lavender blend just comes off as sharp and harsh. I've tried a knockoff or two of GIT that have been slightly more synthetic, but longer lasting - they also did not come off as harsh like Cool Water did on me.

If Cool Water works for you and makes you happy, awesome!

I'm glad you have found your signature scent in Cool Water. It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. If you like it better than GIT, then so be it. I own both, but prefer GIT. GIT seems more vibrant than Cool Water, which I view as pleasant but dull. In the end, all the talk about perfume snobs really is meaningless. It's what you buy and wear that counts. The rest is interesting commentary, which is the heart and soul of Basenotes.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Cool Water. It´s a must Have, no doubT!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't defend Cool Water. Lets leave the GIT vs Cool Water battle for now - its not worth discussing when Cool Water is having trouble standing toe to toe with current designer fragrances. The way Cool Water has been watered down in its current incarnation is a travesty. Its synthetic "blue lavender" note is beyond annoying, and the plasticky heartnotes which were always knock against it stand out even more. From a high level design and impact point of view it can be praised but as something to be worn on skin its had its day.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

I don't particularly care for GIT or Cool Water.

Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I can't defend Cool Water. Lets leave the GIT vs Cool Water battle for now - its not worth discussing when Cool Water is having trouble standing toe to toe with current designer fragrances. The way Cool Water has been watered down in its current incarnation is a travesty. Its synthetic "blue lavender" note is beyond annoying, and the plasticky heartnotes which were always knock against it stand out even more. From a high level design and impact point of view it can be praised but as something to be worn on skin its had its day.
    Yeah the original version of Cool Water was 10X better than what it is now. I remember 4 to 5 sprays of the original would almost choke you and it lasted for a long time. With the current formula it's 6 to 7 sprays and within a half hour it's already into the dry down. In it's current state it's a CHEAP synthetic fragrance that can't even compete with AXE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    Although I don't think you meant to be insensitive, inadvertently labeling people cheap who opt for Cool Water instead of GIT (at many times its price) is not really fair. I think people opt to go the "bang for buck" route are smart with their money. If you can afford GIT, more power to you, but people who buy Cool Water are not cheapskates. Again, I really don't think you intended for it to come off that way. It's more a reminder of the power of words and how to chose them carefully. Please don't take this as a personal attack because it's not my intent. I'm just a perfectionist sometimes that likes to correct things I see as slightly unjust.

However, for those who do consider themselves cheapskates and are proud of it, Aqua Quorum is a good replacement for Cool Water. ; ) I actually don't like Cool Water.
    Well the OP is mentioning how much money he saved by buying Cool Water and how outrageous the price of GIT is. You don't have to try and correct me because that's exactly what I meant.

My problem with CW is longevity.....It just does not last on my skin.....GIT lasts all day!!!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I do notice it all the time here in Greece and it's usually older people reeking of it who probably think of fragrance as nothing more than a deodorant. So, this is what really CW is in my eyes: a glorified deodorant for older people.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Water garnered me most compliments of all frags in my collection. Cool Water is easy to be found in Croatia, perfumeries are loaded with it, but you will seldom feel it on anyone (I myself never felt it on anyone whilst Le Male, Armani Code, 1 million etc are so common - everyone reeks of them). There was hardly a time when this scent wasn't noticed while I was wearing it.

Post Thanks / Like

My complaint with Cool Water is that it has an extremely sharp metallic note to it that is nearly unbearable to the point of making it feel like my nostrils were in pain. The only other fragrance I've had that unpleasant experience with is Antartic by Yves Rocher.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Resurrecting a kinda-sorta old thread here. My two scents: I agree with ZZ that Cool Water has been watered down into a shadow of its former self. Some may or may not like this. I'm somewhat ambivalent towards it. I do like it in general, though. I think Cool Water is a good one. The comparisons to Green Irish Tweed are apt but the truth is that they're totally different fragrances. Green Irish Tweed is a violet-leaf centered fresh fougere. Cool Water is not.