Code of Conduct

Thread: Bottega Veneta

Sur la Plage

Default Bottega Veneta

I searched but didn't see where this fragrance had it's own thread - and it should! This for me is by far the best mainstream release of 2011. It's a beautiful leather fragrance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From fragrantica.com:

The fashion design house of luxury leather accessories Bottega Veneta launches its first fragrance in collaboration with Coty Prestige. Bottega Veneta fragrance is described as a leathery, floral chypre, representing the scented signature of the house—the "invisible, private luxury."

Tomas Maier, the creative director, describes the inspiration for this creation: “An old house in the beautiful countryside in the Veneto region of Italy with rolling green hills, where we’re from. I envisioned a room with old wood floors, library walls and leather-bound books with the windows open wide, the breeze coming in and cut grass, hay, moss, garden flowers, growing through the room and everything mixing up. That’s where we started.” (wwd)

The nose of the composition is Michel Almairac from Robertet who blended notes of Italian bergamot, Brazilian pink pepper, Indian Sambac jasmine, oak moss, patchouli and Indian patchouli.

Top notes: bergamot, pink pepper
    Heart: jasmine
    Base: patchouli, oak moss

The face of the campaign is Nine d'Urso, the daughter of French fashion icon Inès de la Fressange and Italian art dealer Luigi d'Urso. The campaign was shot by Bruce Weber in South Florida.

The perfume bottle is made of Murano glass (limited edition), decorated with a metal cap and a leather bow. The perfume extract, which comes in the Murano bottle, is available in limited numbers at Bottega Veneta boutiques around the world at the price of $ 395. The fragrance is available as 50 and 70 ml EDP with body cream, body lotion and shower gel for more broad distribution.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

happy is the bleu heart<3

Default Re: Bottega Veneta

I've been so curious about this, as I love anything leather. Plum is not listed in this note pyramid, but some reviewers have talked about the noticeable plum note, a note that I have been so fond of lately.

Does anyone know if Dillards is carrying this?

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I've been so curious about this, as I love anything leather. Plum is not listed in this note pyramid, but some reviewers have talked about the noticeable plum note, a note that I have been so fond of lately.

Does anyone know if Dillards is carrying this?
    Hi, bleu! I don't know whether or not Dillards has it. Saks gave us samples of it in NOLA. I just pm'ed you, and would be happy to forward you my sample. I tried it once, but there is plenty left for you to try, too. I think it's a great fragrance, full bottle worthy.

Basenotes Plus

Saks has it- very nice but to my nose, did not get leather out of it-
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Institution

I didn't know that Tomas Maier creative-directed this for Bottega Veneta. Neat!

I, like lilybelle, got a sample of this from Saks and I finally gave it a spin this past week. I was expecting to like it (I'd heard such good things about it on the blogosphere and from many of the Basenoters smelling the tester @ Sak's) but when I put it on my skin I didn't like it at all.

Of course, I'm going to try it again, but for now I have to say I don't like it. Perhaps its the plum note that lilybelle is mentioning above (that strangely is not listed in the notes??), because usually this note ruins a fragrance for me. Or maybe it's the patchouli, again a tricky note for me.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I agree Joe, surely the best designer fragrance of this year (together with the Elie Saab) even if the white flowers make of it a no-go for me. Said that this is still a stand out.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

This is an extremely interesting suede-ish scent that I find really comes alive with heavy application (what scent doesn't ) It's halfway between Cuir Amytheste and Chaos.

Blog Entries

I enjoy it as well. I found it vaguely interesting in the store, the first time I smelled it. The second time, as one of about 8 new scents I was testing, it really jumped out.

There is a substantial sweetness, which I think is balanced very judiciously with the suede, floral, citrus, and cool/fresh notes. The end result sounds like it should be weird, but it turns out to be very nice. It's a bit odd in that it seems to appeal simultaneously to both old-school and modern tastes, but I think it does so nicely. Wife likes it, too, but she ordered me not to even think about the Murano glass version.

Added later: wearing it tonight. Very nice. Has a nice sillage and drydown, too.
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 11th December 2011 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Saks has it- very nice but to my nose, did not get leather out of it-
    I am sampling it now, co-incidently... no leather for me either. Its main business is patchouli with a sweetness that could be too much for me soon, unless it is pulled back by further development. I think it is something along the lines of Pierre Guillaume.

This for me is the release of 2011!!! I spotted remember reading something about it, sniffed liked got a sample next week went in and bought the 50mls size. Is has that vintage feel not like the mainstream moderns being released over the past 10 years or so. I actually find Bottega Veneta slightly addictive, if I wear I want to wear the next day and the next and the next. Infact I admit its the first fragrance I could wear 3 days straight and not get tired of.

Reading other boards many are comparing it to Daim Blond. Questions popping up which one should I get BV or DB?
    Last edited by donna255; 11th December 2011 at 09:08 AM.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Reading other boards many are comparing it to Daim Blond. Questions popping up which one should I get BV or DB?
    Test them if you can, they're not very much alike. I certainly wouldn't buy one over another, far better to have the one you like or both

I've only tested once. Really enjoyed the opening and almost bought on the spot, but then the leather came through very strongly on me, very animalic (almost farmyard), which I didn't like. I don't like to rule out frags after only a single wearing, so need to re-test. But so far I prefer Daim Blond (also Cuir de Lancome and Cuir Ottoman).

When it comes to best designer release of 2011 Bottega Veneta is on my short list along with Prada Candy, Maison Martin Margiela Untitled, and Tom Ford Violet Blonde.
    One of the things I like so much about Bottega Veneta is the hint of leather from a company known for leather goods.
    Elie Saab was my most disappointing fragrance as I expected much more from Kurkdjian between that and Aqua Universalis Forte Monsieur K had a dud of year for me.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Test them if you can, they're not very much alike. I certainly wouldn't buy one over another, far better to have the one you like or both
    I do own both. LOL

I do not rate Elie Saab at all, it smells like disinfectant on me. I even turned the sa selling it off it. OOPPSSS!!!
    DONNA

Blog Entries

I tried BV on paper first and was completely put off by the fruit note. Then in the store I sprayed it on skin and liked it much better! Unfortunately, it was during an event in the store and I sprayed lots of different things and was not able to give BV a full wear. Based on that spray, now I would like to give it a full wear. I think it's very nice and nowhere near as fruity as the paper test gave me.

I'm a HUGE fan of leather fragrances, so I was excited to try this fragrance. I got no leather. It is however, quite pretty. Subtle, elegant, and suade-like, which is as close to leather as it got on me.

Update: I decided to test BV again...and lo and behold, this time I got leather!

I love the different stages this delicate fragrance goes through, the drydown is just beautiful.
    Last edited by pomander; 25th December 2011 at 05:59 AM.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

happy is the bleu heart<3

I tried this a few days ago (thank you, lilybelle!) and mentioned in the SOTD thread, that I was a tad disappointed. I thought it would be more leather-y. But the more I wore it, the more I liked it. It reminds me a little of Cuir de Lancome ... and I can definitely see the resemblance to Daim Blonde, which I do not own. I will be wearing this again, for sure!

Basenotes Institution

I must agree with the last few posts, once I stopped waiting for it to turn into a leather scent, I actually started liking it.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Member

Hmmm...very soapy almost immediately on me and then dries down to spicey-spice, almost no leather detectable for me. Will try again I very much want to love this but so far disappointed.

I managed to wear it from a sample, and it could very well end up on my to-get summer list.

I also expected more leather, but I feel more suede, a gentle whisper of suede at that. It creates more of an allusion to leather rather than leather itself. In this sense, there is a nod to other perfumes, such as SL Daim Blond and even Keiko Mecheri's version of a suede fragrance.

The citruses are quite obvious, at least on my skin, especially in the beginning, and they remain there, although not prominent, in the stages that follow. The citrus makes the fragrance a tad problematic for me.

Fruit is there, too (another nod to Daim Blond), but not so literal and not sweet at all. The apricot in Daim Blond is stewed; here, it is more like the skin of an apricot. I would like to feel more plum. If it's here, it is very subtle.

The patchouli in the base is very modern, very bright. Same for the oakmoss. In fact, in the latest stage of development, just because of the way the patchouli and the oakmoss are handled, it reminds me of La Belle Helene, which is otherwise very different in structure.

This is a winner. Like catnip,, I bookmarked it for summer, or trips to warm and balmy places.
    DH loves it, too.

I immediately visualized a Venn diagram with Eau Claire des Merveilles, Daim blond, and Bottega Veneta, based probably more on the mood they evoke for me as on the notes themselves.

EDIT: Received as a holiday gift. Wearing it often. It is not very leathery on me. Maybe a little suede. Or microfiber. Love it. It has become a go-to for me.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 16th February 2012 at 06:08 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I have tested it twice, I like BV much better than Cuir de Lancôme which I find offputtingly sweet.
    I plan to give it a full go next week.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

My initial test run was of plummy suede with a light dusting of patch in the base. It was soft, delicate and very well blended. But it did not wow me. More trials to come, but that was my initial feel on the one sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    My initial test run was of plummy suede with a light dusting of patch in the base. It was soft, delicate and very well blended. But it did not wow me. More trials to come, but that was my initial feel on the one sampling.
    I had a similar reaction. I thought it was very well done, but it did not knock my socks off. Comparing it to its closest analog, Daim Blond, I find the latter more interesting and angular, maybe. I also have questions about BV's longevity. That said, however, if someone gave me a bottle I'd be thrilled.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I bought a 50ml about 2 months ago as it reminded me so much of one of my favorites from Serge Lutens, Daim Blond. Just a little more plummy & velvety. Not exactly ground-breaking but nice!

I also like the bottle design esp. the way the Bottega's trademark intrecciato /lattice-work base reacts with ambient light sources to create interesting interweaving patterns. Definitely a contender for designer release of 2011.

Personally, I think it's closest to Cuir Amethyste by Armani. BV is way too sweeeeeeet to be anything close to a potential favorite for me, but it smells nice in passing.

Sur la Plage

I received a very nice Bottega Veneta gift set for Christmas - 2.5 oz EDP, 3.4 oz body lotion, .17 oz mini EDP.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I received a very nice Bottega Veneta gift set for Christmas - 2.5 oz EDP, 3.4 oz body lotion, .17 oz mini EDP.
    Good gift! This was almost my wife's fragrance gift this Christmas. I would have preferred it, myself, but she liked the new Cartier better. She may still get this, though. She smelled a sample on me and made some nice comments!

I would love to smell the body cream, they never have a tester out. I was told they didn't want people sticking their fingers in a pot.
    DONNA

I got a sample of this and I gave it to a friend and she said it smelled too masculine for her, so she gave it back to me and I gave her something else instead.
    She likes strong florals and fresh aquatics, apparently...anyway, I did not think to try it before I gave it to her, so when she gave it back to me and I tried it, I loved it. I could totally see myself wearing this (as a guy in his 20s), in fact I'm going to wear it tomorrow.
    It was a surprise to me, but I really like it....the plum note is out of this world...really great...and I've worn way more feminine scents than this and pulled them off ^_^

I love Bottega Veneta.

Basenotes Institution

I quite liked BV but it was not instant love when I tried this duty free. I will have to re test this .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm still testing this but I just can't see myself buying it while I have Daim Blond. I just don't feel like I need a lighter/everyday version of DB in my wardrobe as this style of fragrance is only an occasional wear for me anyway.
    Great release though. I can understand why it gets a lot of love.