Code of Conduct

Question Shalimar parfum application technique?

Until recently, my wife has used EDPs in spray bottles. A few months ago, I gave her her first bottle of Shalimar parfum. She absolutely loves it, but she feels like it's gone a few hours after application. I got her a bottle of EDP later and decanted some into a purse atomizer that she can carry around to re-apply that during the day.

Her application method for the parfum is to hold the bottle up to her neck and then lean back for a moment to let the parfum hit her skin. She usually does this once on each side of her neck.

This is pretty subtle. I almost never smell it on her after 15 minutes or so, unless I get very close. Very little sillage, and to her longevity is less than about 4 hours. When I see her again at the end of the day, there is no trace of it that I can smell.

Is there an application technique that will give her better longevity?

Should she be applying it to another part of her body?

Would spraying it from an atomizer onto clothing work better?

She wears it primarily because she loves to smell it on herself. She doesn't mind a bit of sillage (and I would love her to have more), but she doesn't want to fill the room with scent. What can she to to improve longevity, either with the parfum, EDP, or combination of them?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Shalimar parfum application technique?

Of course, when it comes to longevity/projection/sillage discussions of any fragrance, everyone's experiences are always different and everyone's perceptions are subjective: Subtle means many different things to many different people. So...take my advice with a grain of salt.

As a lover of Shalimar, in all of its formulations (except for the EDT & the new Parfum Initial), I must start off by saying that the Shalimar being sold now is just not as lovely, full, deep or tenacious as the vintage juice. I'm assuming (you didn't say otherwise) that you bought her 'new' parfum and while this is a lovely version of the scent in it's current modern (re)formulation it has been toned down, the sandalwood in it is (of course) not Mysore, it's been...LVMH'd, for lack of a better word. Nonetheless, it's lovely stuff, a lot more lovely than many of the feminine releases hitting the fragrance counters, but still a shadow of it's former self. So keep this in mind. And if you have the time and desire to do so, start searching for vintage parfum on Ebay, where I have successfully bought bottles for many years. The versions I have are from the sixties (in that black zig-zag pattern box) and it's my favorite.

Now...even vintage parfum is subtle...compared to the EdT, EdP, EdC. So, since she is applying 'new' parfum, it seems to me that to get the most bang for her buck your wife should try the following:
    - If she has dry skin, moisturize her body with a scent-free body lotion or cream prior to applying her parfum
    - Decant her parfum into an atomizer and spray it on
    - Spray away from her neck (she might be fatiguing her nose too quickly with the scent, applying it in an area that is TOO CLOSE to her nose) and instead scent her wrists, crook of her elbows, chest area, back of her neck or even her torso or upper legs - remember scent usually travels up
    - Try a light application versus a liberal application to see which one works best for her nose/skin type/nose sensitivity/climate/etc...
    - Layer the parfum with Shalimar lotion (or even better the Body Cream) and/or shower with the Shower Gel. There's even Shalimar scented powder. That might be a nice luxurious Xmas gift for her rubegon and it's easy to find these at a discount online. Furthermore, she might try layering the parfum her Shalimar EdP - I do this with the parfum and EdC and it works wonderfully. Just remember she won't have to apply as much, with these layering methods.
    Selling used bottles of vintage Heritage Eau de Parfum (Guerlain), Anima Dulcis (Arquiste), Noel au Balcon (ELDO), Santal de Mysore (Serge Lutens), Aedes de Vensutas (L'Artisan) and more, click HERE

Thanks for all the suggestions Mike! Yes, the parfum I have bought her is the current formulation. It's sad to hear that even Shalimar has not been spared reformulation. I'll look for some vintage when it's time to replace her bottle.

I'll also look into getting her the lotion or cream. She uses lotion already, so this would be an easy way to layer without changing her routine.

I'm also planning to get her a nice atomizer to use with her parfum. I've heard so many times that the parfum should be dabbed on pulse points, so I was a little hesitant to put it into an atomizer.

You know, before I bought the parfum, I had the impression that it would be this nuclear strength elixir - a drop behind each ear would create powerful sillage and last all day.
    After all, on a per ml basis it costs about 10x as much as the EDP, so I assumed it must be super potent. The SAs I spoke to certainly reinforce that impression - they are the ones that say a couple drops is all you need.

The truth is quite a bit less dramatic than that. It seems not much stronger than the EDP, but deeper and more complex. The EDP really seems like a bargain by comparison.

queen of the universe

Agree with Mike Perez, esp re: Shalimar lotion and/or body cream, which are lovely in their own right. I have both the extrait and the EDT. I apply the extrait with a tiny wad of cotton to pulse points at neck and wrists, crook of elbows, then tuck the cotton wad into my bra. Follow with a more all-over spray of EDT. If I'm using lotion, which is usually in cold weather, I apply that first, then extrait, then EDT. I do save the extrait for special occasions.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Follow mike's advice! I feel that the Guerlains (even vintage) are all perfectly fine sprayed. I would spray around the neck and chest plus wrists and spray some on fabric too. Unfortunately, longevity of the new parfum is no more than 4 hours maximum on my skin. The vintage zig zag boxed Shalimar parfum (the only one I truly love and hoarded) is a daylong affair and its smoky smelling remainders on your clothes on the next day are MAGIC! Funnily, I don't much care about the vintage Shalimar in the black-golden box as it has a weird artificial vibe being present for nearly the whole progression time.

Wear More.

A trace on the neck, inside the wrists, décolleté and even behind the knees.

I decant mine into a purse spray( I also have the 8mls spray version) older version Shalimar and I spray it as I do with all edts or edps. Wrists, inner elbow, neck on each side about half an inch below earlobe, base of throat and along the hairline at the back of the neck. Mine lasts for hours and hours. But I am lucky as all perfumes stay on me really well.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

I prefer the body cream over the lotion.
    Selling used bottles of vintage Heritage Eau de Parfum (Guerlain), Anima Dulcis (Arquiste), Noel au Balcon (ELDO), Santal de Mysore (Serge Lutens), Aedes de Vensutas (L'Artisan) and more, click HERE

I showed her this thread and she's sold on the idea of spraying it on. I'll get her a nice little atomizer for it for xmas, i think, and then keep my eyes open for vintage extrait and some cream or lotion.

The cream is very expensive compared to the lotion. Is it worth the extra cost? Does it have a higher concentration of perfume, like an EDP vs an EDT? I've never purchased a perfumed lotion before. Is using the perfumed lotion or cream with the perfume equivalent to using an unscented lotion and extra perfume, or does it do more somehow?

Body Cream is well in the better perfume houses the same as parfum. I have Angel,Opium, Feminite du Bois in body cream and the fragrance will last for hours and hours even up to 6 without problem.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions Mike! Yes, the parfum I have bought her is the current formulation. It's sad to hear that even Shalimar has not been spared reformulation. I'll look for some vintage when it's time to replace her bottle.

I'll also look into getting her the lotion or cream. She uses lotion already, so this would be an easy way to layer without changing her routine.

I'm also planning to get her a nice atomizer to use with her parfum. I've heard so many times that the parfum should be dabbed on pulse points, so I was a little hesitant to put it into an atomizer.

You know, before I bought the parfum, I had the impression that it would be this nuclear strength elixir - a drop behind each ear would create powerful sillage and last all day.
    After all, on a per ml basis it costs about 10x as much as the EDP, so I assumed it must be super potent. The SAs I spoke to certainly reinforce that impression - they are the ones that say a couple drops is all you need.

The truth is quite a bit less dramatic than that. It seems not much stronger than the EDP, but deeper and more complex. The EDP really seems like a bargain by comparison.
    I just wanted to add that I have recently bought a bottle of Shalimar pure perfume, vintage, and I am experiencing 100% the same things the OP reported. One other pure perfume I owned before was Chanel no 5. which left me with the exact same conclusion: no, the pure perfume is not this amazing elixir, sillage monster that will please you with just two tiny dabs behind the ears. It remains very close to the skin, yes, it is perhaps more dense/concentrated than the EDP when you put your nose into it, but it will NOT create the big bang many people are led to expect by SA-s talking about how little you need compared to the other formulations. I absolutely need to spray it with an atomizer and almost in the same amount I would with the EDP. Which means the pure perfume is absolutely NOT worth it. This is the last time I messed with a pure perfume bottle. A good EDP will absolutely do the job better - for me.
    The problem with progress is that it has been going on for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
    no, the pure perfume is not this amazing elixir, sillage monster that will please you with just two tiny dabs behind the ears. It remains very close to the skin...

Which means the pure perfume is absolutely NOT worth it. This is the last time I messed with a pure perfume bottle. A good EDP will absolutely do the job better - for me.
    I agree with you very much in the first part, but finally you are losing me. Most extrait versions are far more sophisticated and luxurious (no, not only the price, but the quality and richness of ingredients and yes, you can smell it) and there is nothing like it. It is a matter of taste, personality and style and, of course, price, unfortunately.

I don't think the parfums are a ripoff either, but they are quite an extravagant luxury. They contain about 50% more fragrance oil than the EDP, but cost almost 10x as much as the EDP per ml. They may use higher quality ingredients as well, but clearly the profit is much higher on the parfum.

Subjectively, the parfum is richer and more beautiful than the EDP, and I don't think its just a matter of it being "denser". It is like foie gras to the EDPs pâté. You may eat the same amount, but its not the same experience. I feel the same way about Habit Rouge l'Extrait. I would wear only this one if cost were not an issue. Sadly it is, so I save it for special occasions and wear the EDP to the office.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I showed her this thread and she's sold on the idea of spraying it on. I'll get her a nice little atomizer for it for xmas, i think, and then keep my eyes open for vintage extrait and some cream or lotion.

The cream is very expensive compared to the lotion. Is it worth the extra cost? Does it have a higher concentration of perfume, like an EDP vs an EDT? I've never purchased a perfumed lotion before. Is using the perfumed lotion or cream with the perfume equivalent to using an unscented lotion and extra perfume, or does it do more somehow?
    Great rubegon, there's no reason she should feel afraid of decanting the parfum & spraying it on - IMO it will make it easier to apply but it will also enhance the fragrance once its applied. Since you're already familiar with spraying a parfum on (the Habit Rouge L'Extrait you own) I would remind her of the obvious - the parfum is a tiny bit thicker and it would be sensible to spray very close to her skin to avoid wasting previous juice when it aerates out of the sprayer.

The lotion is like the EdT and the body cream is like the parfum, in terms of strength and complexity. IMO, the cream is worth the higher price. I see tubes of 'vintage' cream (in the gold boxes, pink cream) available for much less than the 'new' cream in the glass tubs. This is much better than the Lotion which I own and rarely wear - it has that nasty 'baby wipe' note that I hate in Shalimar Eau de Toilette that just rubs me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I agree with you very much in the first part, but finally you are losing me. Most extrait versions are far more sophisticated and luxurious (no, not only the price, but the quality and richness of ingredients and yes, you can smell it) and there is nothing like it.
    They certainly are. The trouble is that they DO NOT create "an experience" for me if I apply sparingly, as everyone recommends extrait should be applied. Instead, the EDP does that for me with 3-4 nice sprays.
    If I just dab two drops of extrait behind my ears or wherever, I still feel like I barely have any perfume on, that there is no sillage and that no one under the Sun knows I even wear any perfume at all. Talk about a feeling that you're wasting money. I like to feel enveloped by fragrance and leave a slight, delicate trail behind - and extrait just doesn't do that for me.
    The problem with progress is that it has been going on for too long.

I was happy to come across this post. It's nice to know it's not just my imagination the uber-expensive parfum extraits of some scents do not quite live up to the longevity and sillage expectations of others. I first noticed this with Chanel Cuir de Russie and it has taught me a wonderful life lesson. Don't be afraid to USE the beautiful expensive "luxuries" in life. (this applies to everything to me by the way. USE the good china...eat at the formal dining table...don't be afraid of getting scratches on the good furniture...and wear your "good" perfume even when doing yardwork ) . I was treating the parfum extraits like little precious gems and lightly dabbing on pulse points. Then was disappointed when I noticed the scent was fading quickly and staying too close to the skin for anyone else to detect. Then, one day I decided to go all out and over-apply (at least in my opinion at the time) the Cuir de Russie parfum. What a difference! It was only when I threw caution to the wind and really applied the scent, unafraid of becoming a sillage monster or "wasting" too much of the parfum that I was able to really enjoy the beauty of the scent and, thankfully, I found out using more did not choke others around me or clear elevators and hotel lobbies as I had feared Now I view all my extraits in a very "you can't take it with you when you die" kind of way and revel in their scented glory. I take those little stoppers and run a nice long line starting at the neck and run it all the way down over the shoulder, down the arm, all the way to the back of the wrist. (so it can be detected by someone next to me or when I start "talking with my hands"). Then another line from shoulder blade to shoulder blade behind my neck (for when I'm seated at a chair and someone is looking over my shoulder or nuzzling me from behind. Also flashes a brief moment of scent if I toss my hair a bit or am wearing a ponytail). Then a small line from decolletage to the base of the neck (for the more direct moments of nuzzling ). I've found this application technique to keep the scent detectable from only a close distance (don't want to choke others or clash with their personal scents) but still at least detectable when close enough. I vary the above technique depending on the scent of course. Some parfums have more sillage than others.

Hi Rubegon,

I haven't had a chance to read everyone's comment so apologies if some of this is redundant. Parfum extract is (and has always been) the most concentrated type of alcohol perfume, but it is also the most "intimate". I haven't tried the new Shalimar parfum but I did wear a vintage Shalimar parfum (I bought it on ebay) and the scent lasted ALL day. If you're not getting the longevity from this parfum than I suggest the same that others have; spray a bit on fabric. It may still remain more subtle than the EDP but should smell more complex and beautiful, though I have to totally agree that new Shalimar is just a shadow of its former self (based on EDP and Toilette variations).

Definitely try getting a vintage from ebay, or, if you want to just try a little bit, you can get vintage Shalimar from www.theperfumedcourt.com. I've bought several vintage perfume vials from them.

I hope this helps.
    Eliam Puente, Novice Perfumer

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves View Post
    I was happy to come across this post. It's nice to know it's not just my imagination the uber-expensive parfum extraits of some scents do not quite live up to the longevity and sillage expectations of others. I first noticed this with Chanel Cuir de Russie and it has taught me a wonderful life lesson. Don't be afraid to USE the beautiful expensive "luxuries" in life. (this applies to everything to me by the way. USE the good china...eat at the formal dining table...don't be afraid of getting scratches on the good furniture...and wear your "good" perfume even when doing yardwork ) . I was treating the parfum extraits like little precious gems and lightly dabbing on pulse points. Then was disappointed when I noticed the scent was fading quickly and staying too close to the skin for anyone else to detect. Then, one day I decided to go all out and over-apply (at least in my opinion at the time) the Cuir de Russie parfum. What a difference! It was only when I threw caution to the wind and really applied the scent, unafraid of becoming a sillage monster or "wasting" too much of the parfum that I was able to really enjoy the beauty of the scent and, thankfully, I found out using more did not choke others around me or clear elevators and hotel lobbies as I had feared Now I view all my extraits in a very "you can't take it with you when you die" kind of way and revel in their scented glory. I take those little stoppers and run a nice long line starting at the neck and run it all the way down over the shoulder, down the arm, all the way to the back of the wrist. (so it can be detected by someone next to me or when I start "talking with my hands"). Then another line from shoulder blade to shoulder blade behind my neck (for when I'm seated at a chair and someone is looking over my shoulder or nuzzling me from behind. Also flashes a brief moment of scent if I toss my hair a bit or am wearing a ponytail). Then a small line from decolletage to the base of the neck (for the more direct moments of nuzzling ). I've found this application technique to keep the scent detectable from only a close distance (don't want to choke others or clash with their personal scents) but still at least detectable when close enough. I vary the above technique depending on the scent of course. Some parfums have more sillage than others.
    Mmmmmmmm your turning me on with your perfume application...!

I like layering shalimar edp with heritage.... A touch more spice..... Completely sensual

Ear lobes are a good place to apply parfum, as they are level with your nose you get lovely trails of scent when you move your head.