Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Designer "Type" Scents from The Fragrance Shop: Anybody Have Experience With These?

I'm looking at the webpage of thefragranceshop.com

They specialize in replicating designer scents with oils.

It sounds really interesting. Seems like a legit site and they have everything. Based on the customer reviews left on the website they sound pretty good.

I'm thinking about ordering some samples and seeing how they compare to some originals that I own.

But I'm wondering, have any of you tried these? Of all the 'designer type' retailers, these guys seem genuinely legit...and the idea of Millesime Imperial with enhanced longevity or Tobacco Vanille at a quarter of the price is intriguing.

But of course, I'm highly skeptical.

Anybody try this place before?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Designer "Type" Scents from The Fragrance Shop: Anybody Have Experience With These?

I've never heard of this site before but I've heard of another that does the same thing. Not sure how accurate they will be compared to the original but it's possible. I own 4 bottles of cologne from a company called Design Imposters and they specialize in copying colognes. Their version of Acqua Di Gio, Abercrombie Fierce, Unforgivable, Eternity, Drakar Noir, Curve, and Armani Code are spot on in both the scent and the longevity compared to the real thing. If any of those are what you want from the fragranceshop.com, I'd suggest you go with Design Imposters. $8 for a 2oz bottle of juice that smells just like the real thing is a pretty good deal.

I've smelled other so called designer impostor colognes and they are not even close. This company however is legit.

http://www.amazon.com/Mascolino-2oz-...3620215&sr=8-2

This website has me intrigued now though. You have to send them a sample of the cologne you want them to replicate so they can reverse engineer the scent. If they don't get it right the first time they will take your suggestions and try 2 more times before refunding half your $60 replication fee. They even have some Creeds on there including GIT and VIW. I wonder how good they could actually replicate Millesime Imperial and make it last longer...
    Last edited by mesaboogie; 11th December 2011 at 03:41 PM.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Default Re: Designer "Type" Scents from The Fragrance Shop: Anybody Have Experience With These?

Looks like a very interesting place and legitimate. Seems great for anyone who's down to their last bottle of their favorite fragrance that has long been discontinued.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    They even have some Creeds on there including GIT and VIW. I wonder how good they could actually replicate Millesime Imperial and make it last longer...

I'm wondering the same thing.

I think I'm gonna order a sample pack of 5 and see how the MI compares to the real thing.

I'll be sure to report back with my findings!

Post Thanks / Like

If that MI they sell smells just like the real thing I'm ordering some up! Definitely let us know!
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if the other guys who ordered samples would report back, but I guess I'll start. Service more than lived up to the positive comments on their website. I got two sample packs, one replicating designer scents, and the other of originals. The designers I chose were GIT, MI, TdH, TV, and Gucci Envy. GIT and MI, to my nose, are almost indistinguishable from the real thing, although I have to admit that I can't seem to find the topnotes in GIT that everyone says are identical to Cool Water. But I can't find those in the original either. TdH is very close to the parfum version, although the orange is a bit more restrained. TV seems a bit spicier and less rich than the original, but I actually prefer it (I find the original comforting, but lacking in complexity and somewhat boring). I don't have a reference point for Envy. For each, sillage seemed to be decent and longevity was pretty good. They also sent along a sample of their Tom Ford type, but as with Envy, I've got nothing to compare it against.

The non-designer type scents I tried were Jivako, Earth, Teak, Almadina Musk and Tunisian Opium. Four of these I sampled awhile ago and don't recall much. Jivako captured my attention - it's rich but elegant, and well blended. The citrus topnotes are round and slightly muted (a bit like Sycomore in the Exclusifs line), and the leather notes are very restrained (not at all like Tuscan Leather, but a bit more like Keiko Mecheri's Cuir Cordoba, if a leather scent applies). I'm actually having a bit of difficulty pinning down the drydown, but I like it.

I ended up getting a bottle of Jivako and will probably get GIT or MI when my decants of those run dry. Hopefully someone will find this useful.

/mytwocents

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indaco View Post
    I was wondering if the other guys who ordered samples would report back, but I guess I'll start. Service more than lived up to the positive comments on their website. I got two sample packs, one replicating designer scents, and the other of originals. The designers I chose were GIT, MI, TdH, TV, and Gucci Envy. GIT and MI, to my nose, are almost indistinguishable from the real thing, although I have to admit that I can't seem to find the topnotes in GIT that everyone says are identical to Cool Water. But I can't find those in the original either. TdH is very close to the parfum version, although the orange is a bit more restrained. TV seems a bit spicier and less rich than the original, but I actually prefer it (I find the original comforting, but lacking in complexity and somewhat boring). I don't have a reference point for Envy. For each, sillage seemed to be decent and longevity was pretty good. They also sent along a sample of their Tom Ford type, but as with Envy, I've got nothing to compare it against.

The non-designer type scents I tried were Jivako, Earth, Teak, Almadina Musk and Tunisian Opium. Four of these I sampled awhile ago and don't recall much. Jivako captured my attention - it's rich but elegant, and well blended. The citrus topnotes are round and slightly muted (a bit like Sycomore in the Exclusifs line), and the leather notes are very restrained (not at all like Tuscan Leather, but a bit more like Keiko Mecheri's Cuir Cordoba, if a leather scent applies). I'm actually having a bit of difficulty pinning down the drydown, but I like it.

I ended up getting a bottle of Jivako and will probably get GIT or MI when my decants of those run dry. Hopefully someone will find this useful.

/mytwocents
    Thanks for reporting back with your findings! It's very useful!

I got sidetracked and forgot all about this thread and forgot to place an order too. I'll have to put one in soon, and when I do I'll resurrect this post with my report.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, thanks for the heads up on this brand. Continue with more reviews when you get the time!

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else have experience with them?

I am thinking of ordering.

I have ordered a few "designer-type" fragrances from them, mostly in the form of aftershave lotion, and I am mostly content. Their Bora Bora wasn't the best, in my opinion, but their version of Beyond Paradise for Men is exactly as it should be! Just got Millesime Imperial, which I have never smelled before, and really like it. (Was surprised it smells very similar to CK's Euphoria.)
    Updated Favorites:

Spicebomb * Viktor & Rolf

CK One Shock * Calvin Klein

Fields Of Rubus * Kerosene

Dark Kiss * Bath & Body Works

Midnight Pomegranate * Bath & Body Works

I have tried some of their stuff. Their version of MI is pretty good, that lovely watermelon note lingers and I love that. I have also tried their versions of New Haarlem, A'men and Tobacco Vanille and I thought they were spot on. They are also very good with service and shipping, I would definitely buy from them again

I am ordering their Egoiste, I will be comparing it side by side with Vintage Egoiste, if it is a dead ringer, I will be taking advantage of their mothers day sale which ends this Sunday, buy one get one free.

I am hoping this one is a dead ringer, tempted to try M7 as well, but I have not smelled original M7 to compare it to.

How good is the longevity/sillage, of those who have ordered?

You cannot go wrong if you order their Bulgari for Men, it has actually become my Signature Scent, after trying several other oils. But about the longevity/sillage, not too good. I wear their fragrance oils because they don't give me headaches like "the real stuff", but some of their oils are quite weak. But to clarify, I am referring to www.thefragranceshop.com I say this because there's *another* place called Fragrance Shop, and I don't have any idea how their products rate.
    Last edited by Allen-at-home; 9th May 2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added info
    Updated Favorites:

Thanks Allen, I am referring also to the same place, they have a Mothers Day Buy-1 Get-1 sale so upon my satisfaction of the Sample Egoiste, I will buy one of those, and as the Freebie, I am debating on a few choices of very hard to find fragrance, D&G By, YSL M7, Gucci Pour Homme I or a second Egoiste.

I would mainly be choosing the second bottle trying to be helpful to others to test if those are good copies.

People are claiming great longevity in the reviews, its my main concern, most fragrance seems to fade after 2-3 hours, I am hoping to get 5+ hours, I wish I ordered more samples instead of just the Egoiste, but I will find out on Sat. when it arrives

Check this out: http://thefragranceshop.com/sample-five-pack/ This 5-pack sampler costs $30, but they will take $30 off your next order.
    Updated Favorites:

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home View Post
    Check this out: http://thefragranceshop.com/sample-five-pack/ This 5-pack sampler costs $30, but they will take $30 off your next order.
    Wish I saw that earlier, I am trying to meet the deadline for their buy 1 get 1 free, I could EASILY come up with 5 to sample too.

Got the Egoiste, it was actually REALLY close, very very good interpretation. It might be dead on to the new formulation, I only have the vintage, comparing the 2, the copy (its called 0242) 0242 had less cinnamon and less of the 2nd hand smoke to it, I dont know if it was just that the other notes were overpowering those. It lasts longer and definitely projects more. It developes slower so a side by side was not possible, Egoiste was in different stages of developement while 0242 was taking its time to get there, I personally like Egoiste more, but I would not mind at all if I ran out of Egoiste and replaced it with 0242.

But since I have some bottles of Egoiste, now I want to try some others, and they will have to be blind buys if I want to get in on the sale, I have no worries in terms of quality, and I would go off reviews of the actual fragrance and have faith that the oil would be near identical, so I am probably going to end up with some others that are discontinued and see how I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddysLittleHelper View Post
    Wish I saw that earlier, I am trying to meet the deadline for their buy 1 get 1 free, I could EASILY come up with 5 to sample too.
    I think you can STILL take advantage of the Sampler special. If you're like me, you will order again and again. My favorites include Millesime Imperial, but I like One Million lots better. In fact, One Million is way ahead. But Bulgari trumps them all, in my opinion (the original,and NOT Bulgari Black, an awful fragrance to my nose). Too bad they don't have Platinum Egoiste.
    Updated Favorites:

I just purchased a sampler pack and if the scents are as everyone describes, I will def. be buying from them. Just an FYI, if I am impressed I will also be sending a sample of by Killian Straight to Heaven to be replicated. I was told that quite a few customers ask for it but nobody has sent any in to be replicated. They keep all of the formulas from replication on file so if you would like to try it, you won't have to pay the replication fee. I'm going to do this around Mother's day to see if their sale applies then.

Quote Originally Posted by jchebert1979 View Post
    I just purchased a sampler pack and if the scents are as everyone describes, I will def. be buying from them. Just an FYI, if I am impressed I will also be sending a sample of by Killian Straight to Heaven to be replicated. I was told that quite a few customers ask for it but nobody has sent any in to be replicated. They keep all of the formulas from replication on file so if you would like to try it, you won't have to pay the replication fee. I'm going to do this around Mother's day to see if their sale applies then.
    Hello, and welcome. I just got another order from the Fragrance Shop yesterday, I think I keep them in business, ha. But seriously, I will have to smell Straight to Heaven someday, must be good. Concerning the Fragrance Shop, oils are available, but I always prefer the body lotion version, less messy, and easier to apply.
    Updated Favorites: