Code of Conduct

Default Azzaro Pour Homme (Blind)

i will have my Azzaro Pour Homme (1978) next week , now I've never smelled this one before but i told my traveling friend to get me a bottle from duty free because it is a cheapy and am really curious about all the hype from this one...

so what shell i expect from this fragrance ? Am 26 years old and I've read everywhere that it is an old man scent , so does this scent will end on my dad's shelf lol ? or it is a keeper ? i appreciate a little review guys , thanks

Default Re: Azzaro Pour Homme (Blind)

It is a fresh musky aromatic fragrance that smells really pleasing to the nose. Good purchase.

Its one of the best fragrance that a man can wear.

You may get a bottle of it, but it's not what you would have gotten in 1978 !

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an Everyman scent (as in Every man should be wearing it). Classic and ageless.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

It's a smooth, classy scent that really does smell timeless. I'm a youngish guy and I get plenty of compliments while wearing this. Nobody has ever said it struck them as outdated, so I think you will really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadi007 View Post
    so what shell i expect from this fragrance ?
    A very pleasant surprise IMO.

Azzaro PH was one of the fragrances that turned me to Fougères (and Chypres), the categories that have this 'old man' vibe to them.

You're 26, great time to explore these categories and have some mature scents in your wardrobe. Maybe like me you'll feel more mature, confident, distinct from the rest of the age pack.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Post Thanks / Like

It's classic, but not as dated, as not be pulled off easily by someone aged 26, IMHO it adds a touch of maturity and elegance without being stuffy, obnoxious or antiquated

Azzaro is a classic fougere scent that is absolutely required in every wardrobe. It is very inexpensive, but is of high quality. Depending on what you wear now, it may take a few test runs before your nose picks up the true nature of Azzaro. For example, if you've been wearing light, aquatic or sporty fragrances, don't expect the same from Azzaro. Expect better, much better. This one is a winner. Good luck!

It does not have as much old school vibe as you could expect from date of release but it is very masculine, spicy, dry fragrance. I like it and do not feel it is that much dated but my girlfriend said to me that I should not wear it till I am 50 lol... I am 30 btw but look younger.
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in my mid twenties and I can't imagine myself ever wanting to smell like it. Definitely an older-man scent.

Post Thanks / Like

When you first put it on, it will smell like a pleasant, somewhat generic aromatic fougere. Nothing wrong with that, but let it develop for a couple of hours for the real fireworks. It becomes a scrumptious, can't-stop-sniffing-your-arm extravaganza that lasts and lasts.

This really is one of the gems of the fragrance world. If you don't take to it at first, do at least give it several complete wearings.

thanks for the replies guys , i didn't receive it yet , i will receive it around the weekend...
    well i know Paco Rabanne pour homme which they say it is similar to azzaro and i think PR smells outdated...

I am 31 ( although i look much younger ), and i could not feel comfortable at all wearing this fougere. I surely see where the "old man scent " association comes from ! Maybe it's the way it was blended, maybe it's the spices , i don't know . I just think it did not suit neither my personality nor my age. It "smelled" outdated and old fashioned ( don't ask me to explain that ) .

I do hope the case would be positively different for you though !
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Post Thanks / Like

Some may say it smells outdated as it is simply not a trendy lighter aquatic / sweet smell of today's best sellers. That's all. Think of it as unique. I adore this fragrance. Pound for pound, this has to be my all-time complimented fragrance out of 50 bottles. Tuscany is somewhat similar. I hope you enjoy it. I honestly don't think the formula has not changed over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

It's brilliant. It is an amazing scent in the fougere style, and a real compliment getter, which is a surprise to me. It is hard to describe a fougere, but it's definitely that, with a great animalic note. It turned me on to fougeres, which I realize I adore. It and Rive Gauche share some similarities, but Azzaro is much neater and smoother around the edges, while Rive Gauche is more 3-dimensional.

Bottom line, it smells great. Calling it "outdated" is such a cop-out. If you can enjoy a good movie from the 70s, you can enjoy a good fragrance from the 70s, and this one is a bit like the Shining; awesome.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    It's classic, but not as dated, as not be pulled off easily by someone aged 26, IMHO it adds a touch of maturity and elegance without being stuffy, obnoxious or antiquated
    Hmm, well said! I agree completely with this fragrance adding a touch of maturity.

Some might consider this one a little dated, but it definitely can be pulled off today. If you gave this to your cliche 18 year old, however, they may consider this one of your "old man" fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Expect an incredible base accord.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the legendary fougeres that should be in everyone's collection. The "old man scent" idea is nonsense, so enjoy formulating your own opinion about it.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

...and then give it to your dad
    Disclaimer: idk lol

and my dad have the original aramis and i don't like it! , but my late grandfather used to have aramis devin as his signature ; this one i like...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have much of an "old man" associatiation with fragrances anymore, and I never really had much of an "old man prejudice" to begin with. I like what I like, and I typically like super masculine stuff(not always). The first cologne I bought for myself was Drakkar Noir at 16 years old in 2002. Anyway Azzaro is spicy and dark green smelling, and it is powerful but almost never overpowering. Azzaro is very well balanced, and really is very nice, and I think if you are an aquatic kind of guy you will still like it but feel it is more of a formal cologne.
    Some people say it is barber shopish and it is in a way. It does have a slight barbasol type smell to it but more spicy, and less sweet. It is really hard not to like Azzaro, and I have been complimented on it by girls younger than me. I have never smelled Aramis Devin, but I have heard it's like Polo which is actually more brash, and loud than Azzaro.

Post Thanks / Like

Azzaro is of course a classic. I don't wear it too often because I find it a bit sour--but angular fougered tend to be that way. It is in line with Tuscany, Sartorial, Paco Rabanne, and others. It has a somewhat strong anise presence.

Post Thanks / Like

Azzaro is the type of scent you wear when you stop wearing jeans and start wearing slacks or suits. It's not an "old man" scent, but it's definitely a mature, sophisticated one. Definitely one of the best scents out there, and affordable, to boot.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Post Thanks / Like

It's just as good in jeans and a t-shirt as it is in a suit.

I saw this in a discount perfume emporium the other day, and smelled it from the bottle curiously. It struck me as more 'heavy' than is my usual preference - in a masculine sort of powerhouseish way. I'll apply it to the skin next time I'm there, though. At that price point, it would be convenient to like. I don't normally like anise, so hopefully I can accommodate that note.

Post Thanks / Like

You should like it. Very different from PR
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

old man? no. it's an woody aromatic (read: spicy) fougere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    It's just as good in jeans and a t-shirt as it is in a suit.
    Right, but try wearing jeans and a t-shirt to a job interview.

My comment wasn't on what type of fashion that Azzarro PH should be paired with, but rather a way of saying it is a classy, sophisticated scent.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Azzaro Pour Homme and YSL Rive Gauche are my go-to working fragrances. Im 35 years and work as a management consultant... and those never lets me down. Lately, I also started to wear them casually. IMO they are both excellent fragrances, good longevity and sillage, high quality and best of all... rather cheap! No brainers and should be in everyones collections... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    and this one is a bit like the Shining; awesome.
    wasn't The Shining creepy as well?

I tried this on skin yesterday. I honestly can't think of a fragrance less wearable for me. It smells a lot like Brut, but a tad sour - ruggedly masculine, which is not necessarily a good thing. Doubtless others wear it better, though, for it to be so generally well-regarded.

Some frags simply aren't "young," but a lot of BNers like to say "wear what you want." Not everyone, however, is at the same level of emotional/social development, and they don't take that into consideration. And many newbies are clearly not aficionados and are just looking for something to fit in with certain youthful social situations. Unfortunately, they usually don't ask their questions in a way that would likely lead to more appropriate responses.

I wear plenty of "women's" and vintage frags, but I also know that APH is "old" smelling to most people. I find it lacking in dynamism, which is why I'm not a huge fan of it, and which is why I prefer the similar Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration (which I view as even "older" smelling that APH). So what is my "solution?" If you see a frag getting tons of praise on BN, by all means, sample it. Plenty of us are willing to swap or sell samples, along with sites like TPC, but keep in mind that even if you like this kind of frag, you might not like a particular one.

Post Thanks / Like

First time I sprayed it - it reminded me of my dad. (I blame my weak, untrained nose).

Now I own a FB and love it, but wish it lasted longer/projected more past the first 20 minutes.

so my friend is back but i still didn't see him , am so excited about trying this one... i have a work Christmas party next week , somehow a formal one ... hope this one will fit the bill...

Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    First time I sprayed it - it reminded me of my dad. (I blame my weak, untrained nose).

Now I own a FB and love it, but wish it lasted longer/projected more past the first 20 minutes.
    It's so strong that it's the only frag that bothered anyone. That was two sprays to the chest, about an hour after application. I suggest you spray it on, wait until you think it is "gone," then walk into a room with a few people in it and ask them if they smell your frag. My guess is that they will be gagging if you spray more than once !

Post Thanks / Like

i've always thought that azzaro must be aimed at modern/modernist italian men, charming, neither young or old, handsome. that means of course mainly at men who wanted to feel that way. ;)

it's nice when you combine both worlds , azzaro PH represent what is old classic and mature , chanel allure homme sport represent what is modern fresh and young...

so what's the best way to apply azzaro PH ? if you want to wear it lightly for the office for example

Quote Originally Posted by Fadi007 View Post
    so what's the best way to apply azzaro PH ? if you want to wear it lightly for the office for example
    Two shots to the chest or a shot to the chest and arm. Best not to apply to exposed skin to wear lightly as this is a aromatic fougere and will project.

I wear 2-3 sprays of Azzaro Pour Homme when at work (offices, meeting rooms, clients - Im a management consultant).

1 spray chest under shirt
    1 spray lower neck
    1 optional spray back of neck

Post Thanks / Like

steer clear of any spots within a constant radius of ca. 35 cm from the nose. your nose will adapt to the odor and you will gradually lose your sense for it (nothing too worry about, it will come back shortly after the odor is gone). fabric dampens and diffuses the odor molecules, so that can help in this case, especially in colder climates when you wear more clothes. never spray on the neck or above it.

i think in most cases, and especially when you work in a smaller non-air conditioned office space, anything more than one spray is indiscreet. in a larger and/or air conditioned or well ventilated space, you could do two sprays. but make sure you apply at least half an hour before you arrive, a full hour would be even better.

in my opinion, the best place for application is the wrists. you could spray inside the sleeve (the fabric will slow the evaporation rate and thus prolonging it's effect) which would work fine with azzaro pour homme. if you only use 1 spray, then it makes sense to apply to whe wrist of the arm that you write with. this arm moves around more, spreading the molecules, treating you to more whiffs of azzaro goodness.

for very loud perfumes i recommend to dampen the wrists/underarm, spray once, and rub the scent over both your underarms. this gives a nice diffusing effect and makes the odor less in-your-face. think angel, things like that. scent bombs that are in most cases too loud for their own good.

there you go, a complete manual. :)

ps. this happens to be my post number 1000 on basenotes.

Spicy and has a lot of patchouly...everything else is said!
    Last edited by socalwoman; 23rd December 2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spam
    http://bleauog.blogspot.com/ - my blog

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One spray should do it. To your dad's chest
    Disclaimer: idk lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    It's a smooth, classy scent that really does smell timeless. I'm a youngish guy and I get plenty of compliments while wearing this. Nobody has ever said it struck them as outdated, so I think you will really enjoy it.
    +1. -But the recent version is so much "watered down" that the longevity and sillage is very weak. At least on my skin :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Been wearing Azzaro on and off since the 80's. It's a good 'un!

I just prompted an Azzaro blind buy! A mother was shopping at TJ Maxx for something for her 22 year old son and asked an employee for advice; however, the person who normally staffs the scents was off so there wasn't much help available. She was initially trying to decide between gift sets of Deauville and Z-14, but after talking with her for a few minutes she settled on Azzaro. Certainly hope her son likes it!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's a great fougere. The only thing is that the recent formula is far weaker than the older formula. Anything with the clear embossed logo on the bottle is the newer and weaker juice. It comes across as a classy sport fragrance to me, especially in the first five minutes, but eventually settles into a remote representation of its former self. That's good news for me because the old version was way too strong, I couldn't even wear it. This version is much more wearable. Hope you like whichever kind you get.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this fragrance but I think it is a little over-rated. I think if I bought it blind I would be underwhelmed but not disappointed.
    I smell herbal opening that smells like earth or rain near the dry down.