Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cheap Perfume Guilty Pleasures

Hi there, I have been a lurker here for ages, and recently decided to start posting. I ''used'' to think I was a perfume snob (only bought scents that were pricey and trendy) until I started visiting this site. Lately I have been feeling adventurous and realizing that my so called perfume snobbery has been holding me back (and that I really knew little about perfumes as opposed to what I believed)

For some reason, I feel like adding guilty pleasure perfumes to my collection (Charlie and Chantilly are the two that most interest me at the moment)
    I most likely would NEVER have the guts to wear them out (I am not that brave yet) but I am starting to realize that scents are not always about a price tag, but a feeling, or a memory and would love to have those two to wear around the house just for me
    What are other suggestions for guilty pleasure perfumes?
    My GF , whom I always looked up to for perfume advice , told me she recently purchased a bottle of White Diamonds and has secretly been wearing it around the house (she said it is really too strong for her chemistry but she loves it all the same, so I guess I there are others out there who see the fun in this

Default Re: Cheap Perfume Guilty Pleasures

Well...here is my update from 2011 - I have been loving vintage Chantilly. It isn't such a "guilty" pleasure but it is a cheap one. I like Wind Song in the metal body spray cannister, too.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 29th October 2012 at 03:57 PM.

Welcome to Basenotes - you will love it here!
    My guilty cheapies include Yves Rocher's Fleur d'Oranger,
    Cacharel's Loulou and The Sanctuary Classic Scent.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Elizabeth Arden Green Tea is one of mine. Kewart's already mentioned Loulou, and I think there are other great (and cheap) Cacharels out there - Noa (the original, not the myriad of flankers), Eden (so bizarre it's fab) and not forgetting what every teenage girl seemed to be wearing in the early 80s - Anais Anais. Cacharels always seem to be on discount in the UK.

Almost forgot - Tommy Girl! Which seems to sell at pennies/litre round here (an exaggeration maybe, but only slightly)

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MJ101 View Post
    For some reason, I feel like adding guilty pleasure perfumes to my collection (Charlie and Chantilly are the two that most interest me at the moment)
    I personally like Chantilly very much. It's a touch like Ciara by Revlon (another cheapie), but not as nuclear.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Welcome to the nicest, friendliest forum on the net!
    I adore Chantilly, but only in the vintage version, which you can get quite cheaply at times. And I like TABU. I think it's brilliant if a scent is good ànd cheap, much better than good and prohibitively expensive
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

I agree with Devilcat on Eden, it's a cheap and challenging scent, though I don't wear it often, I would hate to be without it.

I also recommend Cuir de Lancome, a floral leather, unisex and great if you want a touch of leather, not smelling like the whole tannery
    Currently wearing: Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I had completely forgotten about Tommy Girl ! Great suggestions, thank you I saw Tabu for 10$ today and I think I regret not getting it, of only for the back story alone, hehe

Blog Entries

Stila Creme Bouquet

And Tea Rose

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Currently wearing: Guirlandes by Carven

Well, the only cheapo one I like at the moment is actually Japanese Cherry Blossom by BBW. I was surprised that I liked the scent as I usually don't like scents from BBW. I love the body spray. That's my only guilty pleasure atm. Though, EA Green Tea is nice enough to buy as well I think.

Oh I forgot I LOVE YR Orange and Chocolate but the lasting power is like 0...need to also try the Almonds & Orange.
    Last edited by kalli; 12th December 2011 at 05:44 PM.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Lady Stetson (Stetson for men is one of my faaaaavorite smells on a guy)
    Bal a Versailles (High in quality but I count this as cheap 'cause I find it for around $30 at places like Ross & TJ Max)
    Tabu
    Coty Wild Musk (before they reformulated it)
    Any of those little cheap decorative "guest soaps" that smell like roses, lilac, honeysuckle, etc.

Welcome to you MJ101! Glad you de-lurked!

There are many cheap and cheerful guilty pleasures I've acquired and enjoy for under 10 USD: Chantilly, Wind Song, Bal a Versailles, Jean Nate body splashes (I especially like the peach with a touch of vanilla one), Cabotine Rose, Cabochard, Tea Rose Perfumers Workshop, Priscilla Presley Roses & More, Stetson, Lady Stetson, B&BW Lemon vanilla.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Welcome to Basenotes!
    I also like Loulou and Noa and Eden (although I wear it infrequently). Bought some Cabochard recently at TJMaxx and really like it. (I know, I know, the vintage is soooo much better, but this cheapie is pretty good.)

I'm wearing modern Cabochard right now! I think my entire, giant bottle of EDP cost about $19. I think it smells lovely, and I wear it out and about.

The cheapie I'm actually ashamed of is J.Lo's Deseo. I paid $15 at Marshalls, it's a celebrity scent, and the bottle is silly - but it smells great to me.
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

yep, Thalia and carolina girl- My cabochard came from TJ maxx too for 7.99 & I think it smells grrrrraate!
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Well, the only cheapo one I like at the moment is actually Japanese Cherry Blossom by BBW. I was surprised that I liked the scent as I usually don't like scents from BBW. I love the body spray. That's my only guilty pleasure atm. Though, EA Green Tea is nice enough to buy as well I think.

Oh I forgot I LOVE YR Orange and Chocolate but the lasting power is like 0...need to also try the Almonds & Orange.
    +1 BBW Japanese Cherry Blossom Body Spray

I bought Cabotine Rose, and I love it, but it smells horrid on me, I found someone who might want to trade for a Diamonds and Rubies (I really seem to be craving over the top inexpensive perfumes lately, hehe, I tend to go through phases where I obsess about certain things )
    Although I would most likely let everyone know I was wearing an Elizabeth Taylor scent, it seems out of character for me, and that is half the fun

I bought Cabotine Rose, and I love it, but it smells horrid on me, I found someone who might want to trade for a Diamonds and Rubies (I really seem to be craving over the top inexpensive perfumes lately, hehe, I tend to go through phases where I obsess about certain things )
    Although I would most likely let everyone know I was wearing an Elizabeth Taylor scent, it seems out of character for me, and that is half the fun

I wear lots of Bath and Body Works around the house, to bed and so on.

I would consider Demeter frags my guilty pleasure, though. As I often choose to buy silly scents just to enjoy for an hour before they disappear.

queen of the universe

Carlos Santana for Women. Spicy yet cool. Perfect for when I go salsa dancing.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Walmart knockoff scents!
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Tabu is wonderful. The Yves Rocher scents are all worth trying out. From the cheapies I enjoy Bambou, Cedre Bleu, Monoi de Tahiti, Pour Desir de Pivoine and Pour Desir de Lilas. From the "real fragrances" I love Vanille Noire and Neonature Cocoon. The entire Secrets d'Essences series is really good. And the rest is of course also worth a try.

Another wonderful cheap line is L'Erbolario. Lots of great scents for a steal.

I recently found Mackie for 25$ (I seem to remember it being pricey in the 90's) I forgot how much I loved it and couldn't believe my luck ! (I think it is one of those great but forgotten perfumes, the sales girl says she often suggests it to people and they claim to have never heard of it !)

This looks like a good thread to bring back from the dead.

My guilty pleasure perfume is VS Lovespell. Memories...

Well...here is my update from 2011 - I have been loving vintage Chantilly. It isn't such a "guilty" pleasure but it is a cheap one. I like Wind Song in the metal body spray cannister, too. Also, Toujours Moi and Tabu, both better in vintage formula. I am in an oldie phase.

I'm loving my eBay cheapies at the mo.

Chantilly, Eau de Joy, Panthere, Must de Cartier, Givenchy III and older formulations of Chanel No5 of which part bottles are available for under a fiver. I've been really fortunate as I'm happy to buy part bottles and minis.

Me, too, Alityke. I love finding old treasures on ebay for next to nothing.

Intimately Beckham Woman, basically Dior Pure Poison at a fraction of the cost, I can't stop smelling it!!!

Always & Forever by Jessica McClintock
    Currently wearing: Kiss me Tender by Nicolaï