Code of Conduct

Default Cheap Perfume Guilty Pleasures

Hi there, I have been a lurker here for ages, and recently decided to start posting. I ''used'' to think I was a perfume snob (only bought scents that were pricey and trendy) until I started visiting this site. Lately I have been feeling adventurous and realizing that my so called perfume snobbery has been holding me back (and that I really knew little about perfumes as opposed to what I believed)

For some reason, I feel like adding guilty pleasure perfumes to my collection (Charlie and Chantilly are the two that most interest me at the moment)
    I most likely would NEVER have the guts to wear them out (I am not that brave yet) but I am starting to realize that scents are not always about a price tag, but a feeling, or a memory and would love to have those two to wear around the house just for me
    What are other suggestions for guilty pleasure perfumes?
    My GF , whom I always looked up to for perfume advice , told me she recently purchased a bottle of White Diamonds and has secretly been wearing it around the house (she said it is really too strong for her chemistry but she loves it all the same, so I guess I there are others out there who see the fun in this

Default Re: Cheap Perfume Guilty Pleasures

Well...here is my update from 2011 - I have been loving vintage Chantilly. It isn't such a "guilty" pleasure but it is a cheap one. I like Wind Song in the metal body spray cannister, too.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 29th October 2012 at 04:57 PM.

Welcome to Basenotes - you will love it here!
    My guilty cheapies include Yves Rocher's Fleur d'Oranger,
    Cacharel's Loulou and The Sanctuary Classic Scent.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Elizabeth Arden Green Tea is one of mine. Kewart's already mentioned Loulou, and I think there are other great (and cheap) Cacharels out there - Noa (the original, not the myriad of flankers), Eden (so bizarre it's fab) and not forgetting what every teenage girl seemed to be wearing in the early 80s - Anais Anais. Cacharels always seem to be on discount in the UK.

Almost forgot - Tommy Girl! Which seems to sell at pennies/litre round here (an exaggeration maybe, but only slightly)

Quote Originally Posted by MJ101 View Post
    For some reason, I feel like adding guilty pleasure perfumes to my collection (Charlie and Chantilly are the two that most interest me at the moment)
    I personally like Chantilly very much. It's a touch like Ciara by Revlon (another cheapie), but not as nuclear.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Welcome to the nicest, friendliest forum on the net!
    I adore Chantilly, but only in the vintage version, which you can get quite cheaply at times. And I like TABU. I think it's brilliant if a scent is good ànd cheap, much better than good and prohibitively expensive
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I agree with Devilcat on Eden, it's a cheap and challenging scent, though I don't wear it often, I would hate to be without it.

I also recommend Cuir de Lancome, a floral leather, unisex and great if you want a touch of leather, not smelling like the whole tannery

I had completely forgotten about Tommy Girl ! Great suggestions, thank you I saw Tabu for 10$ today and I think I regret not getting it, of only for the back story alone, hehe

Blog Entries

Stila Creme Bouquet

And Tea Rose

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Well, the only cheapo one I like at the moment is actually Japanese Cherry Blossom by BBW. I was surprised that I liked the scent as I usually don't like scents from BBW. I love the body spray. That's my only guilty pleasure atm. Though, EA Green Tea is nice enough to buy as well I think.

Oh I forgot I LOVE YR Orange and Chocolate but the lasting power is like 0...need to also try the Almonds & Orange.
    Last edited by kalli; 12th December 2011 at 06:44 PM.

Lady Stetson (Stetson for men is one of my faaaaavorite smells on a guy)
    Bal a Versailles (High in quality but I count this as cheap 'cause I find it for around $30 at places like Ross & TJ Max)
    Tabu
    Coty Wild Musk (before they reformulated it)
    Any of those little cheap decorative "guest soaps" that smell like roses, lilac, honeysuckle, etc.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to you MJ101! Glad you de-lurked!

There are many cheap and cheerful guilty pleasures I've acquired and enjoy for under 10 USD: Chantilly, Wind Song, Bal a Versailles, Jean Nate body splashes (I especially like the peach with a touch of vanilla one), Cabotine Rose, Cabochard, Tea Rose Perfumers Workshop, Priscilla Presley Roses & More, Stetson, Lady Stetson, B&BW Lemon vanilla.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Welcome to Basenotes!
    I also like Loulou and Noa and Eden (although I wear it infrequently). Bought some Cabochard recently at TJMaxx and really like it. (I know, I know, the vintage is soooo much better, but this cheapie is pretty good.)

I'm wearing modern Cabochard right now! I think my entire, giant bottle of EDP cost about $19. I think it smells lovely, and I wear it out and about.

The cheapie I'm actually ashamed of is J.Lo's Deseo. I paid $15 at Marshalls, it's a celebrity scent, and the bottle is silly - but it smells great to me.
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

Basenotes Plus

yep, Thalia and carolina girl- My cabochard came from TJ maxx too for 7.99 & I think it smells grrrrraate!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Well, the only cheapo one I like at the moment is actually Japanese Cherry Blossom by BBW. I was surprised that I liked the scent as I usually don't like scents from BBW. I love the body spray. That's my only guilty pleasure atm. Though, EA Green Tea is nice enough to buy as well I think.

Oh I forgot I LOVE YR Orange and Chocolate but the lasting power is like 0...need to also try the Almonds & Orange.
    +1 BBW Japanese Cherry Blossom Body Spray

I bought Cabotine Rose, and I love it, but it smells horrid on me, I found someone who might want to trade for a Diamonds and Rubies (I really seem to be craving over the top inexpensive perfumes lately, hehe, I tend to go through phases where I obsess about certain things )
    Although I would most likely let everyone know I was wearing an Elizabeth Taylor scent, it seems out of character for me, and that is half the fun

I bought Cabotine Rose, and I love it, but it smells horrid on me, I found someone who might want to trade for a Diamonds and Rubies (I really seem to be craving over the top inexpensive perfumes lately, hehe, I tend to go through phases where I obsess about certain things )
    Although I would most likely let everyone know I was wearing an Elizabeth Taylor scent, it seems out of character for me, and that is half the fun

I wear lots of Bath and Body Works around the house, to bed and so on.

I would consider Demeter frags my guilty pleasure, though. As I often choose to buy silly scents just to enjoy for an hour before they disappear.

queen of the universe

Carlos Santana for Women. Spicy yet cool. Perfect for when I go salsa dancing.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Walmart knockoff scents!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Tabu is wonderful. The Yves Rocher scents are all worth trying out. From the cheapies I enjoy Bambou, Cedre Bleu, Monoi de Tahiti, Pour Desir de Pivoine and Pour Desir de Lilas. From the "real fragrances" I love Vanille Noire and Neonature Cocoon. The entire Secrets d'Essences series is really good. And the rest is of course also worth a try.

Another wonderful cheap line is L'Erbolario. Lots of great scents for a steal.

I recently found Mackie for 25$ (I seem to remember it being pricey in the 90's) I forgot how much I loved it and couldn't believe my luck ! (I think it is one of those great but forgotten perfumes, the sales girl says she often suggests it to people and they claim to have never heard of it !)

This looks like a good thread to bring back from the dead.

My guilty pleasure perfume is VS Lovespell. Memories...

Well...here is my update from 2011 - I have been loving vintage Chantilly. It isn't such a "guilty" pleasure but it is a cheap one. I like Wind Song in the metal body spray cannister, too. Also, Toujours Moi and Tabu, both better in vintage formula. I am in an oldie phase.

I'm loving my eBay cheapies at the mo.

Chantilly, Eau de Joy, Panthere, Must de Cartier, Givenchy III and older formulations of Chanel No5 of which part bottles are available for under a fiver. I've been really fortunate as I'm happy to buy part bottles and minis.

Me, too, Alityke. I love finding old treasures on ebay for next to nothing.

Intimately Beckham Woman, basically Dior Pure Poison at a fraction of the cost, I can't stop smelling it!!!

Always & Forever by Jessica McClintock

These may be cheap in Britain, but not in the US. All my fumes are cheap because I buy them at thrift stores, but of those that started out cheap, I'm really digging my vintage bottle of Jontue. Such memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    I'm loving my eBay cheapies at the mo.

Chantilly, Eau de Joy, Panthere, Must de Cartier, Givenchy III and older formulations of Chanel No5 of which part bottles are available for under a fiver. I've been really fortunate as I'm happy to buy part bottles and minis.

+1 for EA Green Tea, Coty Wild Musk, and TABU.

I'll throw in Halston Z-14. Love that stuff, although since it was reformulated, it's a mere shadow of its former self (like the original Halston "for Women"). It smells just enough like the old version that I can wear it and love the memory.

Jessica Simpson Fancy and John Varvatos for women are my cheapies.

Forever Sunshine by Bath and Body Works
    Florida Water

BBW Sensual Amber.

I will always love ZZZ Sleep Well lavender mist from The Healing Garden. I believe it is discontinued, but I still have half a bottle and it has lasted longer than some of my perfumes--the bottle has still not turned.

I use lots of Bath and Body Works-- shower gels, lotions, and now and then body splashes. White Tea and Ginger is my favorite, ever. If you told me to give up high-end perfume I could, as long as I could keep White Tea & Ginger. I also use White Citrus and Wild Honeysuckle products.

Khaliji Perfume oil by Al-rehab
    On Amazon, I paid $6 (including shipping) for 6 mL of concentrated perfume oil. This is an interesting scent that starts out musky-clean with citrus and cardamon and then morphs into a "dirty" musk with a touch of cumin. This stuff lasts forever.

Coty ~ Wild Woods
    BBW ~ Black Amethyst

How about Cabaret by Gres? Smoky roses.
    Swimming in scented seas

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
    How about Cabaret by Gres? Smoky roses.
    That sounds amazing! Not what I want to smell like though.

Coty Vanilla Musk.

LUSH American Cream solid perfume. I'm generally not a fan of solids, but cheerfully make an exception for AC. What can I say? I'm a sucker for benzoin.

I'm not kidding when I say I still wear Love's Baby Soft (mostly in the house) and its spinoffs, like Berry Sweet, Heart Throb, Sugar Kiss, and most importantly, the lemon one! I was dying for them to bring back the Love's Lemon and they did, but the staying power is awful. It's gone within five minutes tops. Baby Soft and the others stick around for a pretty decent amount of time though.

Skin Musk is another favorite, along with this little bottle of orange blossom fragrance I got from Smallflower. Murray & Lanman's Orange Blossom Cologne is heavenly. Most of these scents are centered around memories. Love's makes me think of my 9th birthday party, which is when I got a bottle of it, and the orange blossom scents remind me of the trip my family took to Disney World when I was five. To be honest, I hated every minute of it (heat has never been my friend, not even as a child), but one night it was cooler and my mom went in this shop and brought back these little soaps that smelled of orange blossoms. The colognes take me right back to that moment. Lush makes one too that is very similar, but more expensive.

I have a few scents that I consider my "junk food fragrances," and get embarrassed to admit I like them sometimes. J. Lo's Glow, Justin Bieber's first scent (it reminds me of Electric Youth, which I was too young to have, but really wanted) and Demeter's Little Twin Stars, My Melody and Kahala Pina Colada. There was this seller on Etsy that made these great strawberry and grape scents that smelled just like Lip Smackers and I stocked up on those. (Those are also ones that are only worn in the house because they are really childish!)

They're not super cheap, but I have some BPAL oils too. I have a really hard time with those and have given up. Most smell like plastic.

My cheap but not so guilty pleasure is Halston EDC both modern and vintage. I picked up huge bottle at TJ Maxx for $9.99 and vintage from Ebay was relatively cheap too. I also enjoy No Regrets by Alexandra Markoff - for $15 it's a beautiful fruity floral (almost) chypre. The drydown alone smells like its worth a lot with a very generous helping of oakmoss.

TheBaroness -Welcome to Basenotes. I remember liking J Lo's Glow too .

The Iceberg Fragrance Peppery suede and pistachio ice cream! And all for around a tenner. Whats not to like. I don't feel guilty though.

I like some perfume from Yves Rocher and it is cheap. I see no problem with something being cheap, as long as it has good quality.

Lady Stetson. A confident, sunny perfume, with a very sparkling aldeyhdic opening. Floral without being cloying or girly. Very wearable.

Welcome Sweet_pea, TheBaroness and Lady Grinning Soul I've been remiss in not welcoming you to our lovely, warm, friendly little group. Enjoy the undoubted joys of BN.

JLo Glow is my simple go to scent. I've gone through loads of bottles since its release. I'm partial to SJPs Lovely too

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post

TheBaroness -Welcome to Basenotes. I remember liking J Lo's Glow too .
    I just wanted to thank you, Whitefluffy, for the welcome. I wanted to introduce myself somewhere, but wasn't sure where to do it, so I just added my .02 to a couple of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaroness View Post
    I just wanted to thank you, Whitefluffy, for the welcome. I wanted to introduce myself somewhere, but wasn't sure where to do it, so I just added my .02 to a couple of posts.
    That is a great way to introduce yourself, this is how I started too. You can also post on the SOTD (scent of the day) thread, there are many wonderful welcoming people there .

As this is a cheap guilty pleasures thread I need to leave a related comment . I recently got a back up bottle of wonderful Organza by Givenchy - 1.7 Oz for $12.50 on Ebay (including shipping). It is definitely a guilty pleasure, and I love it!

I'm not kidding when I say I still wear Love's Baby Soft (mostly in the house) and its spinoffs, like Berry Sweet, Heart Throb, Sugar Kiss, and most importantly, the lemon one! I was dying for them to bring back the Love's Lemon and they did, but the staying power is awful. It's gone within five minutes tops. Baby Soft and the others stick around for a pretty decent amount of time though.
    Love's Baby Soft XD

If you're ever wearing perfume for a guy you could do a lot worse than this for a lot more money.

Cacharel Amor Amor is a nice one.
    I also like BBW Sugar Warm Vanilla - but this one in a form of body cream - the sillage is great though!

I really like Blue Grass though it's kind of hard to find and not exceptionally cheap, and I like Karma by Lush. I've always like Old Spice, too.

How could I forget? Patchouli Sumatra by Jeanne Arthes is a smooth patchouli with a perfect balance of earthiness and sweetness. It never becomes cloying but still has enough amber-y character to keep it from sliding into hippy armpit territory. I actually prefer this over some niche patchouli fragrances (that will remain nameless) that tend to dry down into benzoin bombs or baby wipes. Decent sillage and tenacity, and best of all, $18 for 100 mLs.