Code of Conduct

Default Similar to Montale Dark Aoud?

I've been tearing through a sample of Montale Dark Aoud, and am really enjoying it. I like the somewhat sweet sandalwood mingled with the resinous and smoldering oud note. I'm tempted to buy a bottle, but I also just read about how the whole Montale house may be based on a sham. That makes me feel uneasy about buying it. Not only that, but given that I'm really enjoying the dark, slightly spicy, resinous, sandalwood-tinged effect, I figure it would be worth exploring other fragrances along the same lines.

So far, I've noted down Black Tourmaline and Amouage's Epic Man and Memoir Man, along with Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain. Am I on the right track? Anything else to look into?

Default Re: Similar to Montale Dark Aoud?

I have Dark Aoud and I think Black Tourmaline is a good choice. Perhaps Micallef Aoud Homme is another to consider.

I really don't think that Montale is a sham. The person who was the fragrance designer decided to leave and go do other things - if I understand the situation correctly. How many houses have had principal fragrance designers who were not the person whose name is on the label. Thats all that happened with Montale - the guy behind the scenes left town. That inevitibly happens with every upscale product line that has plenty of success so that the design talent decides to take off and do their own thing. Same thing happened at S. Lutens when Chris Sheldrake went to Chanel and others. Just because the perfumer who designed fragrances departed Montale doesn't mean that Montale house is a sham. This just gives Montale the opportunity to hire a new designer who is maybe even better - like L' Artisan did with Bertrand Duchaufour.

How about TF Oud Wood?

Basenotes Institution

Are you looking for a scent that smells like Black Aoud? Try Midnight Oud by Juliette Has A Gun, Dark Rose by Czech & Speake and/or Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Are you looking for a scent that smells like Black Aoud? Try Midnight Oud by Juliette Has A Gun, Dark Rose by Czech & Speake and/or Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle.
    Actually it's Dark Aoud that I'm springing from in this case. I tried Black Aoud, but the rose note was too feminine for me personally.

If you like dark Aoud (like I do), just buy it! I don't believe Montale is a sham. Just like some people will not buy Bond No.9 because of politics. Always a choice we all make with our dollars... But the biggest sham is oil prices and you don't see people not driving or not heating their house because...just saying. If you like it, buy it! It's great stuff.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Tom Ford Oud Wood sort of similar, but I don't "get" the whole "sham" thing. Can you clarify that?

If you like Dark Aoud, what's the issue with Montale?

I have Dark Aoud and quite like it.

This is the discussion I'm referring to: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289...pany-disbanded

But you're right, of course I may just go ahead and get Dark Aoud. However, I'm also curious whether there are other fragrances I should consider first, maybe some with even a bit more development and texture, that nevertheless share a similar idea.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I have Dark Aoud and quite like it.
    Same here.

If you're up for a challenging price-tag, give a chance to byKilian Incense Oud and Pure Oud (the refills are much more affordable than the regular bottles).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Wonderwood was similar to Dark Aoud to my little nose.

Dont know Dark Aoud to recommend something similar, but why not the former?
    Only for the house history?

So do you believe in all the marketing tales from other brands?
    Good luck!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Actually it's Dark Aoud that I'm springing from in this case. I tried Black Aoud, but the rose note was too feminine for me personally.
    Oops, sorry 'bout that.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Actually, my hesitation was because I initially misunderstood the news being posted about Montale. For some reason (I was reading late at night), I took it to be that there was some sort of deception involved, when it looks like it was more a matter of the main nose leaving. I do hope this means the existing formulations maintain, at least for a while. Meantime, though, I was just curious about other scents in this category, since I'm realizing it's one I really enjoy. (Sandalwood? Oud? Incense? Darkness? A bit of floral or sweet to complicate things? Yes please!) Hardly the only category I like, but right now it's really pushing the right buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Oops, sorry 'bout that.
    Maybe they'll release a Dark Black Aoud. Or Greyish-Blackish Really Not Light Aoud.

I clicked on this thread because I figured Dark Aoud and Black Aoud would smell very similar, but it sounds like that's not the case.

Actually, my hesitation was because I initially misunderstood the news being posted about Montale. For some reason (I was reading late at night), I took it to be that there was some sort of deception involved, when it looks like it was more a matter of the main nose leaving. I do hope this means the existing formulations maintain, at least for a while. Meantime, though, I was just curious about other scents in this category, since I'm realizing it's one I really enjoy. (Sandalwood? Oud? Incense? Darkness? A bit of floral or sweet to complicate things? Yes please!) Hardly the only category I like, but right now it's really pushing the right buttons.
    I think the sense of deception comes from Montale's attempts to position itself as a French take on Middle Eastern fragrance and the marketing that makes it seem like Pierre Montale is the nose behind the scents.

Just sampled Pure Oud by Kilian. It's very similar to Dark Aoud, especially the leathery oud note.

I've been tearing through a sample of Montale Dark Aoud, and am really enjoying it. I like the somewhat sweet sandalwood mingled with the resinous and smoldering oud note. I'm tempted to buy a bottle, but I also just read about how the whole Montale house may be based on a sham. That makes me feel uneasy about buying it. Not only that, but given that I'm really enjoying the dark, slightly spicy, resinous, sandalwood-tinged effect, I figure it would be worth exploring other fragrances along the same lines.

So far, I've noted down Black Tourmaline and Amouage's Epic Man and Memoir Man, along with Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain. Am I on the right track? Anything else to look into?
    Dark Aoud is a great fragrance though hard to get at the moment. The entire fragrance industry is pretty much a sham (Do you think those designers and celebrities actually create their own fragrances?? Hoo boy.) so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Basenotes Plus

If Montale is a sham fragrance company they still deserve praise for coming up with a great fragrance in Dark Aoud. I really appreciate the piney balsamy note in DA. Can't think of anything too terribly similar offhand. Black Tourmaline and Epic are definately scents worth trying. Are they like Dark Aoud at all? Ummm.....maybe not too much. Memoir and LADM are loved by quite a few BNs here so you should try those too. I'm not a big fan of either. But try everything.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Just sampled Pure Oud by Kilian. It's very similar to Dark Aoud, especially the leathery oud note.
    This is a good call although the sandalwood in Dark Aoud is a nice touch while Killian's is more stark.

yes, it reminds me also to OudWood....

The drydown is exactly the same as CDG's Wonderwood.

similar ones for me are wonderwood and black afgano

I never understood this train of thinking. If finances are not an issue, just get what you love and then continue to explore juices in a similar vein. Dark Oud is one of the finest Montale has ever released.