Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Creed Aventus Is A Waste Of Money

...as are all Creeds...!

Bulgaria pour homme extreme? I dont get that at all. Aventus is super unique IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manlyman 007 View Post
    Bulgaria pour homme extreme? I dont get that at all. Aventus is super unique IMO.
    Hey, Man. When I started this thread, I was new to Creed fragrances and I didn't know anything about the bath variations. The first batch I had did smell like Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme, but when I bought another sample, it smelled slightly different. I don't remember the batch number for the first one I had, but I do know that it was from 2010.

I kinda like the woods in Aventus..that part of it is kinda nice I suppose but I wouldn't buy a bottle. Idk..it just doesn't smell worth the money imo. The big pineapple note(Dole pineapple juice opening) and just the juice in general doesn't really do it for me.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

I wonder if anyone has tried layering Aventus with something like Molecule 01 or maybe a really woody scent? I think Aventus is excellent, partly because I love the smell, and partly because it's quite simple yet elegant. I doubt Creed would ever do this, but Aventus would be the perfect scent to create flankers of because I think many great variations could be made, some of which could even be better than the original. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a dark/night/winter version, perhaps with incense and more woods.

As for the topic of this thread... is Aventus a waste of money? It's a ridiculous question. How can one person decide what is or isn't a waste of money for anyone else? If it's a waste of money to you, don't buy it. Problem solved.

The other ridiculous question that gets asked here again and again is "Is it worth it?" Only you can decide if something is worth spending your money on, and only you can decide how much of your money you'd spend. It's your money. Only you know how much of it you even have, so only you can make that sort of decision. I decided that if I could get a 4oz of Aventus for under a certain price, I'd buy it. If not, I wouldn't. I waited a while, but thanks to a fragrancenet sale plus ebates, I got it for less than I was willing to pay. And I'm glad.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Girls absolutely love it, and no one else seems to know what it is. Worth paying a bit more $$$ in my books.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slesperado View Post
    I'm looking for a fruity fragrance. That's why I bought the Creed Aventus. The pineapple note is what caught my attention. I have tried another Creed, but I forgot the name of it. It had a strong coconut smell,and I kind of liked it.
    Do you know of any good fruity masculine fragrances?
    Try this :
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/312...uity-fragrance

By the way... since this thread started with the topic of money... if you're trying to save on Aventus, don't forget about ebates! It may take ages, but eventually you'll get a check from them. I got back somewhere between $15 and $20 from ebates when I bought Aventus, on top of the fragrancenet sale.

All Creed frags are overrated and overpriced.

There, I said it.

And I feel sorry for those who spend all that $$$$$ because girls love it.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it strange how polarising this fragrance is. In my experience this is a good fragrance. It is made of good ingredients and has a decent, if not outstanding composition. It has interesting notes, the balance isn't perfect but it works.
    It is similar in quality to a good designer scent from 20 - 25 years ago back when they still spent some money on their formulae. A large dose of dihydromyrcenol emphasises this recollection of the 80s and 90s (for anyone who doesn't know dihydromyrcenol is sometimes described as grey-citrus but I smell it as soapy. It was the main feature in drakkar noir and many creeds such as GIT, neroli sauvage, MI feature it heavily).

I own Aventus and enjoy it. It doesn't shake my world and I struggle to see how it could do to anyone who has been around frags for many years. Equally it is undoubtably made of good stuff and smells good.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rafikz View Post
    All Creed frags are overrated and overpriced.

There, I said it.

And I feel sorry for those who spend all that $$$$$ because girls love it.
    No need to feel sorry for me. I am very happy with Aventus, and all the other Creed products that are part of my collection, unlike yourself, I am old enough not to worry what Girls like. It is what I like that counts the most.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought a decant to sample it. It smells "nice" but nice is not enough to justify a FB purchase. For that price i want "omg that's divine" and some amazing longevity. I didn't get either of those.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you may have answered your own question when you wrote, "I don't seriously don't see....." Most persons who "Don't See...," cannot appreciate the complexity that makes up Creed's Aventus. It takes a trained nose my man. If you think that Aventus smells similar to Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme, than you have a long ways to go in discerning fragrances. This is not meant to demean you in any way. It is more of a constructive critique. Enjoy your fragrances.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, Creed fragrances are on the expensive side. However, I always manage to find a bottle at a discounted price or a decant at a very reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    No need to feel sorry for me. I am very happy with Aventus, and all the other Creed products that are part of my collection, unlike yourself, I am old enough not to worry what Girls like. It is what I like that counts the most.
    I dont worry what girls like

THey like me anyway; I could wear BO imperiale and still bang hot women, haha

Aventus is one of the best out there. You probably got a bad batch. And yes, Virgin Island Water is another good one. More of a summer frag though.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Another lengthy Aventus thread. Can't wait for the next one. Oh yeah, CREED SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it is. I'd rank it ahead of MI or GIT. I receive more compliments on Aventus than any other scent, and if anything, that just means that in general, it smells really good and people like it. As far as a personal scent, I think it's great--original, appealing, and never cloying or irritating. Versatile as well. What more can you ask for?

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's a very nice scent. Glad I have it and it does get the compliments.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rafikz View Post
    I dont worry what girls like

THey like me anyway; I could wear BO imperiale and still bang hot women, haha
    Well good for you, You da man!

Aventus is the best bang for your buck.

I bought a decant of Aventus from a member here who did a split not long ago and was pleased with it. I did put Aventus to the test during a trip to my home town in Puerto Rico in which we had a big local festival full of people mainly hot looking Hispanic women I mean thousands of people! Not one compliment from anyone! Some of my old family and friends both males and females were there and no one said a word about it which was very unusual because I could smell it on me myself so I know the projection was there. I was very disappointed!!! I even went back to my rental car and sprayed a bit more just in case the humid weather had an effect on it but nothing changed even after doing that. I even danced with a few of my ex girlfriends and not one word on my cologne...............that sucked!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitealltrac View Post
    I even danced with a few of my ex girlfriends and not one word on my cologne...............that sucked!!!!
    Funny you should mention that. I was hanging out with an ex last month and she told me I smelled different. I was wearing Aventus, but I didn't tell her anything about it. I just told her I was trying something new and asked what she thought of it. She said something like "It's nice I guess but it's not as good as what you used to wear."

I used to wear Curve around her.

I love Aventus, and I wear it because I enjoy it. I also love occasionally spraying a cotton ball with it to stash in my top desk drawer. I do that once every other month or so. Every time I reach in for a pen, I get a hint of smell that's just fantastic. But I'd never recommend Aventus as the ultimate compliment getter. It's quite good, but other scents including some which are MUCH cheaper get me more compliments, not to mention more enthusiastic compliments from women.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^interesting point, in my experience, the sweeter, warmer stuff draws more compliments than something like Aventus

Post Thanks / Like

I had a good sniff of this today out of curiousity. A potent, blunt, citrus with a similar heady drydown to GIT. Similar ingredients to GIT all round, I thought... apart from the citrus. Very long-lasting.

I didn't think it was bad and can certainly see how it's popular. It bore a heavy resemblance to air-fresheners and bathroom cleaners - just a bit more refined, obviously. I don't know what it costs but I imagine it's not cheap coming from Creed.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some samples last week. I ordered Aventus too. I wanted to smell what the fuss is all about. For the obsessed, my sample is from the C42B11Z01 batch. First impression: is this all there is to it? What's so special about it? I don't get it. Unpleasant? No not unpleasant. Smells OK but not great. Aventus didn't bowl me over. Must sample it some more, see if the penny drops later. Waste of money? Not full bottle worthy for me. YMMV.

Other samples I ordered: Yatagan, Knize Ten, Colonia Intensa and Colonia Intensa Oud (this one does bowl me over BTW).
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you may have smelled a fake. I haven't found anything that resembles Aventus in any way. I too was looking for a scent that was similar because I didn't want to shell out the $$$... I just bough a bottle.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Noir De Noir
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Bois D'Argent
    5. Aoud 1
    6. Aventus
    7. Ore
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Ambre 114

Post Thanks / Like

After trying Royal Oud and Aventus from new samples for about a month, I feel that apart from GIT Creed is not a scent house to my tastes - no, not at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in Selfridges Trafford yesterday heading toward the menswear section, when i smelled something heavenly. I found myself wondering what fragrance the guy in front of me had on, when i discovered it was coming from the huge Creed Aventus display.

I took a sample card off the girl and spent the rest of the day thinking how nice it was. My wife went back to get me some for Christmas, and then informed me it was 90 for 30ml! That is seriously expensive. But i loved the friuty yet masculine fragrance, something distinctively classy about it, had good longevity too.

I doubt at that price that the wife bought any, so it looks like it will be Dolce & Gabbana the One Sport for me this time.

On another note, i can't believe after so many years of buying (mainstream) fragrance from my teens to now (38) i have only just discovered basenotes.net.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 24th November 2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: vulgar

Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    I was in Selfridges Trafford yesterday heading toward the menswear section, when i smelled something heavenly. I found myself wondering what fragrance the guy in front of me had on, when i discovered it was coming from the huge Creed Aventus display.

I took a sample card off the girl and spent the rest of the day thinking how nice it was. My wife went back to get me some for Christmas, and then informed me it was 90 for 30ml! That is seriously expensive. But i loved the friuty yet masculine fragrance, something distinctively classy about it, had good longevity too.

I doubt at that price that the wife bought any, so it looks like it will be Dolce & Gabbana the One Sport for me this time.

On another note, i can't believe after so many years of buying (mainstream) fragrance from my teens to now (38) i have only just discovered basenotes.net.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Welcome!
    Thank you!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i personally like aventus a lot

i hope you enjoy silver mountain water. smw is one of my all time favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

I've managed to get a sample set from Creed which has Aventus, Green Irish Tweed, Love in White, Silver Mountain Water and Virgin Island Water in it.

I'm looking forward to trying the SMW too, and will then decide whether i'm pushing the boat out for Aventus or SMW...

Where did you get this sample set?
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Driven by hunger, a fox tried to reach some grapes hanging high on the vine but was unable to, although he leaped with all his strength. As he went away, the fox remarked, 'Oh, you aren't even ripe yet! I don't need any sour grapes.' People who speak disparagingly of things that they cannot attain would do well to apply this story to themselves
    "Why should I care?...Why should I care?..."

5:15 - Pete Townshend

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoa, this is an old thread that's been resurrected from the dead... While I feel Aventus is a mediocre scent that I personally would never purchase, it smells nothing like Bulgari pour Homme Extreme which I own from a blind buy years ago but also don't care much for (albeit I like it more than Aventus).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I don't know why anyone else hasn't pointed this out, but Creed Aventus smells exactly like Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme.
    I have both of them. I hate Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme, so I automatically hate Creed Aventus.
    It's impossible they were exactly similar, the one who came up first of these two (Bvlgari ?) would surely have sued the copycat. I haven't smelled either one (yet) so i can't comment further.
    Some bottles for sale (Worldwide)

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Ditto!!!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I will first say this - your nose is your own, this is subjective. I am not going to take a position on Creed Aventus in this discussion, but realize that you have (perhaps, not purposely), insulted the taste and noses of a lot of people. If they spent the money on it and like it, then it is not a waste of money to them. Whether or not you think if one fragrance smells like another - simply mention a likeliness you have found without being insulting.

Body chemistry, climate, amount applied, and many more factors can alter a composition's notes.

Enjoy this passion of yours without insulting others who enjoy a scent, regardless of what it is or the price tag.

Final two points - if you want a wonderful pineapple note, try Kouros Fraicheur (it is magnificent - the entire composition). And, Silver Mountain Water (depending on your taste) is a good scent from the Creed house and one that I enjoy wearing on occasion.

Cheers.

ericrico
    Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infants flesh, sweet as an oboes cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Everyone has different likes and dislikes. If this thread was about whatever, there still would folks who like and dislike whatever the subject was about. If you purchase an item and you are happy with it, rock on.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 6th December 2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

If Bvlgari pH Exteme smells like Aventus, then Joop! smells like Encre Noire! I beg to differ by a mile on this one. However.. to me, and a few others in the community Bvlgari pH Extreme smells a bit like Voyage d'Hermes.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Aventus is the new Aqua di Gio. And yes, it is a waste of money.

Post Thanks / Like

Aventus just smells good, fruity and fresh to me. But yeah, its not worth the asking price at all!

Threads like this are so silly. One person decides a scent isn't worth it for HIM, so he decides it isn't worth it for anyone. Such foolishness.

Value works like this: You smell a scent. You see a price. You decide if you'd pay that price to own the scent. If you would, it's worth it. If not, it isn't. Only you can decide how much of your money something is worth.

If all you want is a fruity scent, you can find many that cost much less. If all you want is a scent that gets compliments, you can find many that get lots of compliments and cost much less. If you want an incredibly versatile scent, again, there are many choices that cost much less. Yeah, Aventus gets a ton of hype, but you're intelligent enough to not fall for hype, right?

If you fall for the hype, that's nobody's fault but your own... but like I said, you're smarter than that. Right?

I really enjoy Aventus, but I wasn't willing to pay full retail because that price wasn't worth it for me. I decided if I could buy a new 4oz bottle from a reputable shop for $175 or less, it was worth it for me. I found a great deal. I bought it. I only tend to wear it once a week, so my bottle is going to last me for ages, and I'm very happy about that. I think it is an excellent scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Basenoter View Post
    Aventus just smells good, fruity and fresh to me. But yeah, its not worth the asking price at all!
    thats why we hit up fragrancenet or ebay

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    thats why we hit up fragrancenet or ebay
    And ebates too! I think I got another $15 from them...? I don't remember how much, but somebody here recommended ebates and, along with a big sale on Fragrancenet, I did really well. It took quite a while to get the cash back from ebates, but hey, cash is cash.

Fragrancenet plus ebates FTW!

Post Thanks / Like

I've spent about $5,000 on Sonos speakers throughout my house, now that is debatable waste of money, haha

One bottle of Creed Aventus is expensive, but its not like its an everyday wear. I wear it maybe 5 times a month and figure it'll last me quite a few years since I store all my fragrances properly.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post

Bought direct from Creed UK for 25. I presume they would have something similar on their US website?

I had a look on Ebay (UK) last night and there are quite a few sellers of Aventus and SMW and it sells for significantly less than retail.
    The sellers claim to decant from a larger bottle into atomisers. As it won't come labelled with the creed name i suppose there is actually no way of knowing whether it is fake or not, other than just placing your trust in the seller.

Does anyone have any experience of buying from Ebay or any problems please?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post

Here is the link to the UK website:- http://tinyurl.com/c2hpb4m

They also offer a 15 discount on your next purchase if you buy the sample set

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Aventus prices are slowly falling. Legit bottles can be found online for around $180 or less for the 120ml. If you already have a decent sized collection, then this should last you a while.

The only downside to the cheaper prices is that more guys will be wearing it. Even then, it will never be as widespread as Acqua di Gio.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

If it becomes too popular and widespread it won't smell as good anymore.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I have tried it and thought it was nothing special.

I reckon most of the positive reviews come from people embarrassed by the fact they've fallen for the hype and splashed out more money than they can realistically afford on something that most people would just say 'meh?' at.

Save your money.

I got mine in a split, so it worked out to be a dollar & some change per ml. Considering I love the scent of Aventus, it lasts forever on me, gets compliments & is my wife's favorite on me, and it's very versatile, I consider it one of my best fragrance values, actually. Would I pay full retail for it? Nope, but these days you rarely have to, as long as you do your research and are patient enough to buy at the right place at the right time.

There are plenty of "popular" or highly acclaimed fragrances here on basenotes, that either I don't really see what's so great about them, or even can't stand them, so I completely get that there are plenty of people who don't like or see the appeal of Aventus. Personally, I do. It develops beautifully on my skin over the course of an entire day, and maybe I got lucky with my "batch", but I get wafts of pineapple throughout, as well as rose and vanilla at different points, with very little "smoke." Hype or no hype, I don't care...it's easily one of the best fragrances I've ever had.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yak yak yak

Blah blah blah

If you like it and can afford it, buy it

If you like it and can't afford it

Yak yak yak

Blah blah blah

Bleh

I keep hearing about how unremarkable this fragrance is. I need someone to send me a free bottle/decant to confirm this.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    Joop Nightflight: spicy and ambery pineapple. (..and the price is incredible)
    I like Joop Nightflight

Post Thanks / Like

Creed Aventus works so well on my skin. I like the fragrance a lot, it lasts for a long time and projects crazy. Worth the money..

Post Thanks / Like

I've been interested in the Creed house for a long time.
    I haven't been able to buy any because of the prices.
    I had read/watched many reviews, and decided to try Aventus as my first Creed fragrance.

I bought a couple of samples, and I was extremely disappointed.
    I don't know why anyone else hasn't pointed this out, but Creed Aventus smells exactly like Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme.
    I have both of them. I hate Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme, so I automatically hate Creed Aventus.

I seriously don't see why someone would spend $250 for a Creed fragrance when they could get the same scent for about $50.
    I am SO HAPPY that I didn't waste my money on a full bottle of Creed.
    I'm currently wearing both colognes (one on each hand) and they smell the same.
    I hope I'm not the only one who's noticed this.
    The next Creed I'll sample will be Silver Mountain Water.
    I'm going to have to disagree. I have Silver Mountain Water, but Aventus is the best fragrance I have ever smelled. It is high in price, but it's a price I'll pay again, and again....especially with the amount of compliments I get when wearing it. I would say give it a chance, and let the middle notes come out. Also, the samples aren't the best to go off of. I got samples of SMW and Aventus, and my bottles smell a little different. And yes they were all real. I got them from Saks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Style View Post
    Aventus prices are slowly falling. Legit bottles can be found online for around $180 or less for the 120ml. If you already have a decent sized collection, then this should last you a while.

The only downside to the cheaper prices is that more guys will be wearing it. Even then, it will never be as widespread as Acqua di Gio.
    The real downside is that these are probably counterfeit. Be very careful wear you spend your money. I would never buy a Creed fragrance online unless it from Creed's website. I've done my research, and the likelihood of getting a $260 bottle for $180 or less, and is authentic is slim, or even a 4.0 oz. bottle for that matter. It's $315 on their website. Why in the world, if it's real, would it be less than that unless its used? Just sayin'.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Don't tell me it's crap. I've just ordered some!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree. I have Silver Mountain Water, but Aventus is the best fragrance I have ever smelled. It is high in price, but it's a price I'll pay again, and again....especially with the amount of compliments I get when wearing it. I would say give it a chance, and let the middle notes come out. Also, the samples aren't the best to go off of. I got samples of SMW and Aventus, and my bottles smell a little different. And yes they were all real. I got them from Saks.

- - - Updated - - -

The real downside is that these are probably counterfeit. Be very careful wear you spend your money. I would never buy a Creed fragrance online unless it from Creed's website. I've done my research, and the likelihood of getting a $260 bottle for $180 or less, and is authentic is slim, or even a 4.0 oz. bottle for that matter. It's $315 on their website. Why in the world, if it's real, would it be less than that unless its used? Just sayin'.

LOL... can we see this "research" that you have done that has brought you to this absurd conclusion that anything other than from the manufacturer is not authentic?
    This should be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Aventus is not in my top 3 and I think it's never groundbreaking or special, but is definitely a very good scent with good longevity and projection which I never regret purchasing the full 120ml bottle.
    Truely a 4-star scent to me...
    My most favorite scents that I can't be without:
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like

Tried some Aventus in the department store today, pine needles with a very very slight sweetness to it. No fabled pineapple note. I have another sample of it coming through the mail, I'll see if that is any better. The tester was just opened (wasn't there yesterday) so it couldn't have gone bad. I can't smell any smoke or ash either. I don't get it, is this the batch variation or am I just anosmic to the pineapple chemical?