Code of Conduct

Default What's Your Story?

I'm fascinated by the diversity of the Basenotes community and the love we have for the beguiling world of fragrance. This raises a question in my mind, "What brought you to Basenotes for the first time?" What is your Basenotes story?

I found Basenotes entirely out of the blue. I was googling Tsar and I found a link to Basenotes. I clicked on that link and I've never left. This place has brought so much enjoyment to my life. How about you?

Default Re: What's Your Story?

I youtube alot of fragrances trying to find that "one", an while watching marc's and good ol' Mr. Mickers reveiwes, they have mention basenotes a couple of times on the reviwes i have seen. So decided to give it a shot since i am getting addicted to frags.

i was searching for info on Aramis New west and i stumbled upon basenotes. that was in 01' i have been here ever since it was fate

I think I was searching for more reviews of Musc Ravageur.

I was looking for reviews of paco rabanne XS over a year ago, then I realised there was a forum which turned out to be completely addictive and informative.

I was looking for my signature scent, and wanted it to be something kind of obscure. Google brought me here, and like you, I never left. My sense of smell has always been a huge source of wonder for me, even since I was a child.

Just as I found basenotes, I got cancer, which means that I basically could not wear frags for a whole year because any smell (good or bad) made me sick. Now that I am cancer free (since a year ago), I got into fragrances with a vengeance....making up for lost time. That is when I bought my first niche, "LdDM," by Tauer. The rest is history.

One more important detail. I am a recovering alcoholic, which only adds to my particular obsession. I'm always going to be addicted to something, and I find that smelling really good, while very expensive, always trumps blacking out and waking up next to a stranger. LOL

Well, that's probably more of my story than you wanted to know, but there it is.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

For me, as a long time fragrance collector, I was searching for an internet site that would give me for information about recent releases and stumbled upon Basenotes and found the exchanges among members very interesting. I was immediately hooked.

Searching for info about GIT

Over a year ago I decided to start expanding my collection (up until that point I only had a 4 bottle rotation) and was looking for pricing information on some new scents I had come across. Found a link to the review section here and immediately became hooked.

Searching for a summer scent. For me watching youtube videos were just a one person perspective - i wanted as much help as i could get.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. After decades of no fragrance other than whatever soap I happened to use I decided to try...something. I was looking online searching in 2005 for hints as to what was good. What would I like.

One page less traveled took me to Basenotes and that, with a tip of the hat to Robert Frost, has made all the difference.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

By the way has any Basenoters been to fragrantica??

My wife told me I smelled like crap over a year ago and started to search for some different scents, and since divorced, so I have my priorities in line. My father and grandfather collected frags and they were all stolen many years ago, a priceless collection since they collected around the world, before the internet. I have always had between 5 and 10 frags until this past year I have collected over 80 bottles and growing. My goal is to have 20 to 30 of my favorites and I believe there is an end to this obsession.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    My wife told me I smelled like crap over a year ago and started to search for some different scents, and since divorced, so I have my priorities in line. My father and grandfather collected frags and they were all stolen many years ago, a priceless collection since they collected around the world, before the internet. I have always had between 5 and 10 frags until this past year I have collected over 80 bottles and growing. My goal is to have 20 to 30 of my favorites and I believe there is an end to this obsession.
    I sincerely hope you are right! I am hoping for just seven fragrances to allow for any occasion.

My goal is to have 20 to 30 of my favorites and I believe there is an end to this obsession.
    Lol. That would be great to have it precisely down to 5 star holy grail loves.

For me, I was loyal to Annick Goutal for over 15 years. So every year I'd buy a new one and wear it everyday till it ran out - perfectly satisfied. Then I smelled Encens Flamboyant. This was the gateway to here - after googling incense fragrance.

A funny effect being here has had on me, is I've learned alot about niche fragrances but I don't have a clue about mainstream designer fragrances... at all. My first non Goutal purchase was Dzongkha, followed by Filles en Aiguilles and Mecca Balsam. This is a bit embarrassing because I own Amouage Tribute, but I still don't know what any of the mainstream department store fragrances smell like. I've got no clue on Hermes, Calvin Klein, Chanel, Dior, etc. etc.

I was searching for reviews on all sorts of fragrances. Lurked for about a year being intimidated by the knowledge here and at long last joined. Should have joined earlier I suppose. Thanks to this place I have gone from the common designer fragrances (still like a lot of them) and dabbled with some niche scents. My bank account hates this place!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Back in 2000 I was looking for a favorite fragrance of mine from the 80's; Halston 101. I found Basenotes while trying to find information on that cologne. I would pop in and read occasionally but it wasn't until 2005 that I joined. I continue to pop in when time affords. I will say that this community is probably the friendliest I have come across.
    Last edited by Titan; 13th December 2011 at 02:59 AM.

I was looking for something that nobody I knew would own. I bought GIT and started into a niche frenzy.

When my bottle of Drakkar Noir (hey, I think it's a good scent, brings me memories) ran out earlier this summer, I wanted to look for something different. My search led me here although I lurked for a few months before finally joining. This place is such a great place to learn about fragrances and begin a new hobby.

I've been aware of basenotes for a long time, but decided to join up once I felt I was getting deep enough into fragrances. I think the first fragrance I looked up here was Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice.

I was looking for reviews on fragrances...and primarily looking for something that smelled like Clive Christian X that didn't cost a kidney...

Partly too, I had started dabbling some of the niche scents available in Barneys, and since I hadn't heard of many of them, I was looking for more background of some of these scents that werent available in Macy's kind of stores.

My wife started buying better quality fragrances for me, and I became interested in Creed after she bought Green Irish Tweed. Soon afterward I was plowing my way through the entire line, when I became obsessed with Vintage Tabarome. I became hooked on basenotes when I was researching VT.

After wearing one single scent for over half a decade, I got tired of it and searched around then found BN. Three months after the horrific, or maybe horrifying, discovery of BN, I am a proud owner of over two dozens bottles in my wardrobe.

Found Basenotes on a google search while inquiring about incense fragrances. I started collecting incense scents and then realized I had actually been interested in fragrance for about 20 years, but just didn't study it closely before. The internet opened the door to all kinds of scent possibilities and basenotes has been a good place to hang out and and share discoveries etc.

A year and a half ago, I began using a straight razor to shave, and after few months thought it would be pleasant - since saving money on disposable razors - to get a fragrance of some sort, in order to complete each morning's toilette. Somehow, I had reached my late twenties without ever using one.

So I began reading reviews on Badger and Blade, casting about speculatively - and was intrigued by the evocative imagery and analytical finesse... Instead of a mere refinement to my toilette, I became interested in the subject itself. I eventually found basenotes in the course of researching particular fragrances. At first I was intimidated by the breadth of knowledge and experience here, but hesitantly took the plunge of joining.

(As you might expect, I am spending rather more money than had I stuck with disposable razors. An ironical deficit! But I have gained a source of metaphors and intelligence, and the stimulation of an otherwise neglected sense, that amply recompense me.).
    Last edited by Merely; 15th December 2011 at 09:16 AM.

I was looking for info on Onde Mystere and found BN.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

I had an idea for a novel and was researching some aspects of fragrance as a plot device. Obviously, Basenotes was a huge help. I got to the point of actually buying a fragrance I needed, and they sent some extra samples. It was all downhill from there. Eventually, I admitted what I knew when I fell in love with my Brut deodorant as a teen - that I was one of y'all.

I may still do the novel. If so, it will be all the richer for what I've learned from my friends here.

Ran into Basenotes scanning Google for scent reviews.

Boy has it been costly on my bank account after I realized I wasnt the only person on the planet with 10 plus bottles of cologne.

I consider you all Enablers!!!
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

I was looking for info on TdH and found 'Now smell this', where they constantly referred to Basenotes; so I followed the trail. It is a great place to hang out, as I don't know anyone in the 'real world' who shares my growing passion for fragrance.

I was doing some research into buying my first "proper" fragrances. I was looking at L'Occitane fragrances, and found the reviews directory on basenotes very helpful. It took me a while to realise that there was also a community section on the site, and the more I explored, the more addictive it became. I had initially planned on buying four or five fragrances. I've now got almost fifty, with fifty more on my wishlist. This hobby's cost more than I'd planned on, but it's also been a lot more fun than I'd thought it would be.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Much like Lionheart (whom I honestly adore, BTW), I was trolling for a holy grail. BN's wardrobe feature proved a HUGE lure in keeping track of rampant sampling. The atmosphere created by those populating BN really set the hook. [Fishing metaphors deployed for men's forum.]
    I usually roll my eyes when somebody says they're writing a novel, but from you, Redneck, I'd welcome the story.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by quarry View Post
    much like lionheart (whom i honestly adore, btw), i was trolling for a holy grail. Bn's wardrobe feature proved a huge lure in keeping track of rampant sampling. The atmosphere created by those populating bn really set the hook. [fishing metaphors deployed for men's forum.]
    i usually roll my eyes when somebody says they're writing a novel, but from you, redneck, i'd welcome the story.
    and i adore you, my dear quarry!
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

I was searching for a place to purchase Antaeus, and stumbled upon Basenotes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I usually roll my eyes when somebody says they're writing a novel, but from you, Redneck, I'd welcome the story.
    Thanks, Quarry! Honestly, the thing I discovered here is just how horribly unqualified I was to write anything about fragrance. The more I read on Basenotes, the more I realized just how little I knew. Perhaps when I realize I know nothing at all, I'll be ready.

I continue to marvel at Tom Robbins' Jitterbug Perfume. I tried not to read it so that it wouldn't influence me, but I'm glad that I eventually did, and I'm glad that I waited until I knew enough fragrance terminology to read it with the added depth that provides. It's amazing - one of my favorite books of all time. One thing which impresses me is how good of a job he did researching fragrance - another is his clear love for it. I sometimes wonder if he ever wanders among us in here.

I remember I was searching for perfume reviews and came across the directory here
    before I knew it, I stumbled across the forum and its been magic ever since
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I've been into frags since I was a kid. One day, I just decided that I wanted to see if there was a discussion forum for weirdoes like me, and the rest is history! My wallet has been thinner since, but I am encouraged by the fact that compared to many here, I'm a mere tinkerer.

I had done a search for fragrance and got directed to the youtube community. The first video I saw came from Robes08. I found the video really interesting so I started watching videos from different reviewers and almost all of them gave props to Basenotes. I decided to troll around in the forums for a little while and then decided to create an account. I am really glad that I came across this site.

I was born in a crossfire hurricane....Then one day i went to Nordstrom and the SA gave me a sample of TF Extreme because i told him i was bored w my colognes and wanted something "manly". I went home and looked it up and BN was one of the top search results. The rest, as they say.......
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I had read about a 'possible link' between Le Male and Chergui (I can't see it ) and a few clicks later I landed on BN, lurked in the background for quite some time until I finally 'outed' myself.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Couldn't agree more - and what about an offering from the estimable Mrs Q ?. I'd willingly sacrifice a hefty slab of my hard earned shekels for such a delight .

I wanted to find out more about what Creed had to offer after buying my first bottle of Green Irish Tweed and stumbled on BN after doing a search. I must hold some sort of embarassing record for lurking though (years, literally).
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 14th December 2011 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Thanks, Quarry! Honestly, the thing I discovered here is just how horribly unqualified I was to write anything about fragrance. The more I read on Basenotes, the more I realized just how little I knew. Perhaps when I realize I know nothing at all, I'll be ready.

I continue to marvel at Tom Robbins' Jitterbug Perfume. I tried not to read it so that it wouldn't influence me, but I'm glad that I eventually did, and I'm glad that I waited until I knew enough fragrance terminology to read it with the added depth that provides. It's amazing - one of my favorite books of all time. One thing which impresses me is how good of a job he did researching fragrance - another is his clear love for it. I sometimes wonder if he ever wanders among us in here.
    (cough) Red, you are so humble! I love to read your reviews!

I just surfed wanting to learn about the scents I already loved.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

An admittedly shallow entry:
    I had just begun dating a girl in Paris and decided I needed to up my fragrance game to impress.
    Googling perfumes inevitably led me to Basenotes. The rest (including the girl) is history.

Got into fragrances some 3 months back , needless to say basenotes.net is where I NEED to be when it comes to gaining all the knowledge I can about fragrances on the internet and staying in touch with the world of fragrances , besides that I have to say basenotes has got the best crowd of people out of all the forums I've been to. You guys are some of the most honest , mature , intelligent and fun people to be around with. Viva la Basenotes !
    Cheers!

Looking for more information on fragrances last Christmas. Fragrantica & Basenotes were found.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I had just begun dating a girl in Paris and decided I needed to up my fragrance game to impress.
    Googling perfumes inevitably led me to Basenotes. The rest (including the girl) is history.
    Found our new tagline: Basenotes "Helps you impress Parisiennes"

I was looking for and googled 4711. In no time at all I was reading about the history of one of the oldest recipes and found it captivating. I was impressed and thought I'd do a search to find out the name of a fragrance I'd gone through in the mid 90's; I remember honing in on A*Men rather efficiently with a 'patchouli' and maybe a 'rubber bottle' query and thought that this place had it goin on as a great source for frag related info.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Ha ha ha . My humble contribution to the site.

i love perfumes. my friend told me about it. he always browsed the site but never joined. i joined and i love the site, the info and most of all, all of you.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Impress Parisiennes ... and estrange the common people.
    (You know what I'm talking about -- pontificate about perfume, and non-frag friends give you that sideways glance reserved for those who exhibit mental instability.)

I'm not much of a novel reader or novel writer, but due to Redneck's "marvel" review, I know I've got to read Jitterbug Perfume after I finish The Alchemy of Scent.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jon. If fate allows a few choice twists and turns, I may have a real-life story worth telling (although I prefer A/V communications to print). Aren't most real stories really interesting, as evidenced by the posts in this "What's Your Story" thread?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I was looking for a bottle of Shulton Old Spice, not the new crap P&G reformulated and put in plastic bottles. In my search I stumbled across basenotes, and here I am, in all my newbiness.

I was a fragrance fan some time before I discovered Basenotes, but as I loved several scents very much, I almost desperately searched the internet for fragrance reviews, especially for Ungaro III and for several other scents I liked

Later on I gradually discovered that, while being completely satisfied with the reviews on this site, they represent only a tiny bit of what interested me here, so it wasn't long before Basenotes became a vital part of my life

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    LOL

That may be shallow on the shallow side of the pond, but around here I can't even lie about doing that!!!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard_Butler View Post
    Got into fragrances some 3 months back , needless to say basenotes.net is where I NEED to be when it comes to gaining all the knowledge I can about fragrances on the internet and staying in touch with the world of fragrances , besides that I have to say basenotes has got the best crowd of people out of all the forums I've been to. You guys are some of the most honest , mature , intelligent and fun people to be around with. Viva la Basenotes !
    Cheers!
    I agree completely. There's no place on the 'net with company like here. None.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    "Your parfum is most impressive, yet I do not recognize it. I take it you are from Basenotes, no?"