Code of Conduct

Default Rose 31 - Iso - E- Super Chemical Note Spoils The Party

Well I have my Le Labo samples in the post today and have been wearing three sprays of Rose 31.

Just after application I am getting a Cumin note which I usually hate but in this it seems most agreeable and sensual. Then the pink rose comes through which is nice but a bit to perfumery to the nose in a feminine way.

Then what spoils the party for me is the sythetic iso-e super note that mingles with the rose and cumin notes. As I am smelling the interplay between the rose and cumin this chemical iso e super accord interrupts what could have been a nice interplay between the notes.

The fragrance as a whole seems heavy handed and a bit jarring with the rose been to perfumery with that chemical accord disrupting any harmony. Iso e super in Amouages Jubilation is well done and adds to the composition. But here it makes the fragrance smell like a ladys underarm deodorant.

After smelling the wondrous glory of Maison Francis Kurkdjians Lumiere Noire Pour Homme this one comes as a disappointment.

Overall it smells ok but so do a hundred other fragrances.

Banned

Default Re: Rose 31 - Iso - E- Super Chemical Note Spoils The Party

thanks for the heads-up !

Sur la Plage

It's a fantastic party IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Overall it smells ok but so do a hundred other fragrances.
    Luckyscent included this as one of many samples in a package I received yesterday, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Luckyscent included this as one of many samples in a package I received yesterday, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
    Will be interested in what your take is on this hednic.

I only get the rose for 45 min in the opening then it is a vetiver,incense and synthetic notes ride after that. I am glad I did not blind buy this one.lol

I guess you cannot like them all.

Rose 31 has been on my to buy list for a while and I finally bit the bullet as a birthday gift to myself. I wanted a rose that wasn't TOO femme or pretty. I liked the idea of the spicey rose and the lasting power. I also layered it with Amouage Lyric a few times and though they worked really well together on my skin.

I received the package - it smells great.. but then I looked in the bottle and saw a huge chunk of lint floating around. I was totally grossed out and contacted the store to make a return.

After smelling the wondrous glory of Maison Francis Kurkdjians Lumiere Noire Pour Homme this one comes as a disappointment.
    Agree totally with you Jack. I tested both yesterday and also found that Rose 31 is a little bit disappointing and synthetic comparing to its expectation values. MFK Lumiere Noire is yet a great and very pleasant fragrance and bottleworthy for me. This "rose theme" and LNPH vs. Rose 31 seems to be a fairly common discussion at the moment.
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

I agree. It's ok but not great and it's use of iso-e is fairly clumsy. It's also very expensive, which IMO is unwarranted.

I'd see if it grows on you, I personally love Rose 31 a lot!

I guess we're drawing a line in the sand between the likes of LN and Rose 31. I will choose Rose 31 and Noir de Noir all day over LN.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Agreed! I was surprised at how much I ended up liking it.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

You can't compare R31 and LNPH.
    They're incomparable. They're both great and owning both, as i do, is justified.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    + 1

Then what spoils the party for me is the sythetic iso-e super note that mingles with the rose and cumin notes.
    for me that is precisely what makes it so special.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I'm not bothered by the Iso E Super in Rose 31. It's borderline, but does great in the overall context.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

The pepper/cumin ruins it for me.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I think it is a great scent Jack, give it a few more wearings mate, see what comes of it

Quote Originally Posted by Livingdead View Post
    I think it is a great scent Jack, give it a few more wearings mate, see what comes of it
    Will do as I have two samples of it to get through.

I'm getting to the point where iso e super is starting to induce a gag reflex when I smell it, so I sympathize with the OP.

This is surreal: After trying LNPH my first reaction to Rose 31 was the same as Jack's.

I've done a complete 180 with Rose 31, and actually prefer it to LNPH. I love it for what it is, the "Rock Star" of rose fragrances.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Notwithstanding the beauty of LN, my testing of Rose 31 is the reason a rose scent is on my radar; an unthinkable idea (for me ) twelve months ago.

I dont get the ISO E Super in R31.

for swap/sale:

After wearing Rose 31 for a day it only lasted four hours on my skin with the rose note lasting for 45min. Then I was left with a chemical/incense and vetiver mess on my skin. I even broke open my other sample in case the one I was using was spoiled or not mixed right but I got the same ride.lol........ Oh well I guess I will have to come back to it at a later date and see if I "get it".

Jack, luckily I have access to a good selection of niche between Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates. So I only try perfumes ,as I would at home, by spraying myself normally.
    I say this because I find smelling samples on patches of my skin not to replicate actually wearing it conventionally. Therefore I transfer vial samples to spray atomizers. I urge you to try it this way.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Jack, luckily I have access to a good selection of niche between Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates. So I only try perfumes ,as I would at home, by spraying myself normally.
    I say this because I find smelling samples on patches of my skin not to replicate actually wearing it conventionally. Therefore I transfer vial samples to spray atomizers. I urge you to try it this way.
    The samples from le labo actually come with vials with a little spray pump so it does spray out, though in a pathetic way because they are so small. lol....... but you are right those vials can never replicate the effect from a proper atomiser.

You see I do pay attention boys! There has been so much interesting discussion about Rose 31 and although opinion veers to the favourable (I think?), the detractors have strong opinions too. I had to try it, this "masculine" rose. I was as sure as I could be that I would like it.

I have tried it several times now, from samples, over a few months. Now, I like lots of rose fragrances, and I have done for many years. I also like iso e super, quite a lot actually. So.....well here is the thing. This does not read as a rose fragrance on me at all! On paper, in the air, fleetingly perhaps, but on skin, no. There is a dominant, no not just dominant...aggressive cumin note, that hogs all the attention. No roses.

Have any of you guys found the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    You see I do pay attention boys! There has been so much interesting discussion about Rose 31 and although opinion veers to the favourable (I think?), the detractors have strong opinions too. I had to try it, this "masculine" rose. I was as sure as I could be that I would like it.

I have tried it several times now, from samples, over a few months. Now, I like lots of rose fragrances, and I have done for many years. I also like iso e super, quite a lot actually. So.....well here is the thing. This does not read as a rose fragrance on me at all! On paper, in the air, fleetingly perhaps, but on skin, no. There is a dominant, no not just dominant...aggressive cumin note, that hogs all the attention. No roses.

They should call it Cumin 31 as I only get the Rose for 45 then its a cumin chemical incense vetiver mess on my skin. Have been trying hard to understand this one. I have two samples which I am going to use up at some point so I can be 100% sure that this one is not for me.

It varies on my skin, some days the cumin is more prominent, some days it's more in the supporting cast. For the most part it's the gruff, which gives the scent its stubble.

Surely not rose prominent, I agree but, considering how sensitive I'm to rose it was just enough for me...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Hmm, thanks boys. This is interesting. Opinions are so varied, which is great. Perhaps it just depends how much you like, or are distracted by, Cumin. Or how much you like Rose? Maybe it just depends, full stop! Just enough Alfarom? Yeah, I do understand that.

I don't care about gender marketing generally but I am left wondering if this rose is really better on a man? Or perhaps it gives those among you who would not normally favour rose, "just enough" rose to play with? I'm going to go ask 30 Roses if she has tried it. I might be back.............................................. .........................

I wonder if when they are mixing up your "personal" batch you can ask them to go easy on the cumin.

Hmm, thanks boys. This is interesting. Opinions are so varied, which is great. Perhaps it just depends how much you like, or are distracted by, Cumin. Or how much you like Rose? Maybe it just depends, full stop! Just enough Alfarom? Yeah, I do understand that.

I don't care about gender marketing generally but I am left wondering if this rose is really better on a man? Or perhaps it gives those among you who would not normally favour rose, "just enough" rose to play with? I'm going to go ask 30 Roses if she has tried it. I might be back.............................................. .........................

It can come across as "granny's" perfume in some ways, so I would say more unisex than masculine.

It is ok, but there are many more frags I prefer especially when price is also considered.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Foustie invited me to the thread.

I'm sure I sniffed Rose 31 last year at Barney's, but it was a hectic day of sniffing a lot of things and I didn't come away with any impression other than that it was not what I look for in a rose perfume. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

I'm surprised you didn't like this one Jack. I often read your posts and agree totally, I think we have similar tastes... I also find the combo of cumin and rose intoxicating, and for me the iso-e doesn't ruin it. Of course, I'm a fan of iso-e in general. However, I don't really detect it in a big way as interfering with the other notes.

I also have to mention that this perfume works best on me when I'm warm - perfect for warm summer nights. The cumin and rose, with a touch of woods (probably from the iso-e) scream into the night in the most wonderful way. It's both invigorating and sexy.