Default Re: So I smelled Barbasol.....

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    and it doesn't smell much like Rive Gauche pour homme. :P
    Maybe you need to try vintage
    Signature Scent

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Maybe you need to try vintage
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Not only vintage, but the one with the five stripes in a 45° angle! The 3-striped, 22,5° angle canisters are an ABOMINATION, mark my words. The transitional 2-stripe is acceptable though. And, if you want the real good stuff, go for the old dark blue collapsible tubes, especially batch numbers from 1957-58. The '59 batches are a tad bit too medicinal and volcanic, and after that it's a downward spiral, trust me.

What batch # was it? Could have been a bad batch

Wuuuut? The 3-striped is da bomb diggitty! Your sniffer must be broke. The 5-striped wishes it could hang but it can't... unless, of course, you empty some of it so that the air can get in there and age it a little. Yeah, the 5-stripe will improve with age! As is, however, it has... well it has too many stripes. Unless, in fact, you're talking about batch ipfreelyinmypeeety:>(666,007,69,4:20,ou812,gr8. Then, nevermind.

DuNez's BaseNotes Boutique Sales Thread: 1 Gross of Barbasol (one slightly used) - 3-striped. CONUS only!
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Some say Original Vetiver (which I like) has that smell.

It surely doesn't smell like barbasol. But what it does smell like is a high end shaving cream but not the stuff you spray out of a can but the classic, old school ones that you have to whip into a mousse like lather in a ceramic bowl. It smells luxurious not utilitarian.

Yep, nothing at all like shaving cream. I bought it expecting the comparison, and was disappointed in it not being the case, at all. But, I still enjoy the smell.

With my increasing interest for classic shaving fragrances/smells, along the lines of (but not limited to) Proraso, Brut, Pitralon, Tabac Original, Old Spice, ADP-both the regular EDC and Collezione Barbiere, will have to try Barbasol sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    With my increasing interest for classic shaving fragrances/smells, along the lines of (but not limited to) Proraso, Brut, Pitralon, Tabac Original, Old Spice, ADP-both the regular EDC and Collezione Barbiere, will have to try Barbasol sooner or later.
    Barbasol is canned shaving foam, this is what people refer to when discussing RGpH. There is a barbasol after shave but dont know if its any good. Hey if you're into these kinds of fragrances it would be criminal not to sample brooks brothers 1818. Its a superb barbershop fragrance and you can get a 6oz bottle of it for cheap.

is the La Collection RGPH worth it? I can't find the original version in my country anymore. I ordered it from one shop because their page said they still had 6 bottles in stock but it turned out they didn't and the only RG available is the La Collection version. And some reviews say it smells pretty much identical, other say this new version is horrible, a watered down shadow of the original one. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard_Butler View Post
    Barbasol is canned shaving foam, this is what people refer to when discussing RGpH. There is a barbasol after shave but dont know if its any good. Hey if you're into these kinds of fragrances it would be criminal not to sample brooks brothers 1818. Its a superb barbershop fragrance and you can get a 6oz bottle of it for cheap.
    Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard_Butler View Post
    Barbasol aftershave is good. Better than the current cream, but not as good as stuff like skin bracer.