Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance for Landscape architect

Hi all!

I have seen a new girl for some months now and of course I feel it is time to go perfume on her... The fact is she never ever owned a perfume (opposites attracts or what do they say) and she finds my hobby - unusual. But a little interesting too and one day I found her reading my Turin/Sanchez book.

From her (non)fragrant past there are some coconut soaps and she says she like almond fragrance. That´s really all I have to go on when I started to spray her with samples. Of course I have tried to steer her to my own favourites but nothing yet have made her swoon. And that is what she is looking for - something that she likes but that on her transforms into something even better. I do understand that she is after the body chemistry thing and this part is of course impossible for us all to predict.

Some info on her: Landscape Architect, 28 years old, very much into environmental issues, long earrings and plastic pearl necklaces, very little make up, very much second hand everything, more dresses than trousers, very litterate, brown hairs/pale skin/blue eyes, extrovert and very social...

This is some of what we have tried so far, and her comments:

Serge Lutens Louve: "too sweat but rather good"
    Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle: "nice but don´t want to smell like a wet bush"
    Estee Lauder Azuree Soleil (2009): "nice but a little bland"
    Marc Jacobs Bang: "very nice but maybe because it reminded her of me, maybe too masculine"
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit: "too perfume-y, too vintage"
    Malle Carnal Flower: "too much, too heavy, too "sweet""
    Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire: "nice and interesting, but too extreme"
    Chanel No 19 current EdT: nice but not enough
    Orange Flowers seem not to be her style, "too female/old fashioned"

So what I think we need is a natural smelling, not too perfume-y not too sweet gourmand with woody tones. Her comment on smelling like a bush makes me think she wants an abstract fragrance, or at least not true-to-life soliflores. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Ah - Guerlain L´Heure Bleu just came to mind. Must try that on her.
    Last edited by pelle; 21st August 2011 at 09:32 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Default Re: Fragrance for Landscape architect

You have a very nice wardrobe! But, it's full of heavy hitters, not much "light and fresh" in there that could ease someone into perfumery

From your wardrobe, what about Dzing? it's abstract, interesting, but maybe too strange for her. Worth a try though. I would try variations of Shalimar, the old Legere and the new Initial, both are subtly gourmand and non-floral. And there is always Bulgari Black.

Sycomore, Mitsouko, vintage No 19, Heure Exquise...? Une Fleur de Cassie?

Btw, did you see that COW now has the Malle range?

Diorella - Natural Abstract
    Balmain Balmain - Delicate green
    Piper Nigrum - Green, natural with a gourmand finish
    L'occitane Vetyver - Sweet woods and sharp aromatics with a green vetiver in middle

I also hope she likes Iris Silver Mist one day or another.

Blog Entries

L'Heure Bleue was the first to enter my mind on reading your post. Definitely try that one.

And perhaps Black Orchid?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Another vote for L'Heure Bleue, and seconding Dzing! Have you tried testing your La Myrrhe on her yet? I'm also wondering if the Ava Luxe range would be a good pick for her. Serena has several winners in the woody and gourmand categories, not to mention a good range of scents overall.
    Last edited by Leesee; 21st August 2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: more to say

She sounds like a lovely girl! I like her already. I like that she hasn't worn perfume, and that from your battery of tests, she sounds like she knows what she doesn't like. Better that than that she wears what every other girl is wearing. I'm thinking of a few perfumes that might pique some interest:

L'Heure Bleue sounds right. There is a marzipan accord in there somewhere. The edible pastry effect noted by others.

I just looked at your wardrobe, some of these you have, some not.

1000 - I've been getting really into floral chypres lately, which are beautiful but not too sweet.
    Arpege (for women) - I just smelled this again today and it's fantastic.
    Diorella
    Tocade (Rochas) - for its warm sunny optimism. I just received some samples of this (thanks xmen!) and am loving it. Kooky bottle, cheap online.
    Bois des Iles - beautiful warm sandalwood.
    Chanel No. 18 - fresh light floral, might be too floral but very light and clean.
    Cuir de Russie is exquisite too, an unmatched floral leather chypre. The whole Les Exclusifs line is so good there's usually something in there for everyone.
    Bois d'Iris - woody iris, not sweet or powdery, Jean-Claude Ellena pre-Hermés
    Another angle might be fig. Diptyque's Philosykos or L'Artisan's Premier Figuier might fit the bill.
    Or a woody rose like Cabaret (which I haven't smelled but sounds just about right from what I've been reading) Pepper a la Bang in a transparent woody rose, with incense. Rose can be love/hate, and varies considerably in how it is handled. Sounds like a relationship!
    Une Rose

Isn't perfume great? I'd love to hear if something sweeps her off her feet. Good luck!
    Last edited by professor goggles; 22nd August 2011 at 09:24 AM.

DeRae Eau Illuminee - aromatic and green, but not too femme
    Chanel Bois des Iles - possibly too old school, but timeless and not too femme
    Dior Escale a Pondichery - tea, floral (but not too much) and sandalwood, light also
    Agree with Different Company Bois d'Iris - iris woody, unisex and easy
    Hermes Hiris - rooty, but yet sweet ending, but not overtly
    Chanel 31 rue Cambon - beautiful and not overtly femme, just perfection (to me )
    Agree with Cabaret, a butch rose for non-rose loving ladies
    Caron Parfum Sacre - probably too perfumy and old style, but you never know, you have the pepper going
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil - light and green, not too perfumy

Blog Entries

For some unknown reason: Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche. or any Hemesessence. There is something a little mineral-y about it...I would say avoid the legacy fumes if Carnal Flower was too much for her. The Hermes line is pretty user friendly, especially Kelly Caleche...IMO

Or L'Eau D'Hiver from FM?

Oh please don't buy her Bvlgari Black if she doesn't already like it...I just smelled that one for the first time the other night, and i was like seriously eeewww....it's hard to go wrong with something like Jasmine Noir by Bvlgari, or NR for her.
    Last edited by Fleurine; 22nd August 2011 at 03:33 AM.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

When you mentioned coconut soaps my first thought was Virgin Island Water !
    "There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

For a delicate, almondy marzipan-heliotrope confection, you can try Kiss me tender by Parfums de Nicolai.
    By the same brand, it's hard to imagine a landscape architect objecting to the freen flolral Temps d'une fete.

cacio

Hillaire

Jil Sander Scent 79 Woman

It's like 19 but nicer.

Dior Escale a Portofino
    Several scents within the Aqua Allegoria lineup by Guerlain

+ 1 on Eau de Gentiane Blanche
    it is long lasting (lovely on a scarf) in spite of being an Eau, and quite unique, green and soft and yet intriguing.

Voyage d'Hermes is also a possibility.

Haha, Pelle! Picky girl of yours
    L'Heure Bleue is probably not her style either. Since you mentioned Louve, I too thought of La Myrrhe.... too sweet? Maybe Chanel No. 5 EdP if she finds La Myrrhe too sweet? Have you dug out your much beloved Cuir de Russie parfum?
    Otherwise I would look along the lines of the Les Exclusifs (Bois des Iles,...). Mitsouko EdP?
    Good luck

I'm noticing a lean away from florals and orientals and towards dry, peppery, woody fragrances. She's in luck! They're very much in vogue just now. Here are a few that may tickle her fancy.

Amouage - Memoir Man
    L'Artisan - Coeur de Vetiver Sacre
    Caron - Poivre
    Comme des Garcons - 2 Man, Vetiverru, Hinoki
    Estee Lauder - Alliage, Azuree ( both are considerably edgier than No. 19 )
    Frederic Malle - Noir Epices, Geranium PM
    Ormonde Jayne - Ormonde Woman ( heard great things ), Orris Noir
    Parfumerie Generale - Corps Et Ames
    Piguet - Cuir de Russie
    Serge Lutens - Feminite du Bois, Bois de Violette, Vitriol d'Oeillet, Fille En Aiguilles

By the way, since I know you own some, have her try your Parure. I'll be curious to see what she thinks.

Wow - what can I say?! Amazing advice here...

I wore l´Heure Bleue myself today and I figure it would be really nice on her, will try soon! But your list is so much bigger:

Dzing
    Shalimar (various)
    Bulgari Black
    Sycomore
    Mitsouko,
    vintage No 19
    Heure Exquise
    Une Fleur de Cassie
    Diorella
    Balmain Balmain
    Piper Nigrum
    L'occitane Vetyver
    Iris Silver Mist
    Black Orchid
    La Myrrhe
    Ava Luxe
    Arpege
    Diorella
    Tocade
    Bois des Iles
    Chanel No. 18
    Cuir de Russie
    Bois d'Iris
    Philosykos or L'Artisan's Premier Figuier
    Cabaret
    Une Rose
    DelRae Eau Illuminee
    Dior Escale a Pondichery
    Hermes Hiris
    Chanel 31 rue Cambon
    Caron Parfum Sacre
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil
    Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche
    Kelly Caleche
    L'Eau D'Hiver
    Jasmine Noir by Bvlgari,
    NR for her
    Virgin Island Water
    Kiss me tender by Parfums de Nicolai
    Temps d'une fete
    Jil Sander Scent 79 Woman
    Dior Escale a Portofino
    Aqua Allegoria
    Voyage d'Hermes
    Amouage - Memoir Man
    L'Artisan - Coeur de Vetiver Sacre
    Caron - Poivre
    Comme des Garcons - 2 Man, Vetiverru, Hinoki
    Estee Lauder - Alliage, Azuree ( both are considerably edgier than No. 19 )
    Frederic Malle - Noir Epices, Geranium PM
    Ormonde Jayne - Ormonde Woman ( heard great things ), Orris Noir
    Parfumerie Generale - Corps Et Ames
    Piguet - Cuir de Russie
    Serge Lutens - Feminite du Bois, Bois de Violette, Vitriol d'Oeillet, Fille En Aiguilles
    Parure

Some I have never smelled and some of them I´ve got and some we also have tried - I forgot to mention them, obviously we think alike and I will sort out the list soon. Meanwhile; thanks so much for the advice! Most of them makes totally sense.

Pelle
    Last edited by pelle; 22nd August 2011 at 05:38 PM.

My swap thread

pelle,

If she likes almond, my number one recommendation is a heliotrope based fragrance that is sweet but not as sweet as Louve - Cuir Beluga by Guerlain?

Other Recommendations:

Gloria by Cacharel - discontinued, available on ebay. Its a woody oriental with rose & amaretto.
    Ormonde Jayne ta'if - don't know if she likes roses - but it is not a soliflore, its a beautiful oriental fragrance.
    Tam Dao - if she is not big on perfumes, she might like the simplicity of this.

Blog Entries

"very much into environmental issues"....................................Have you tried out "organic" lines like Aubrey or Burt's Bees and there are so many other such lines out there that have all naturals inside the bottle.

^^ indeed ... and you can try the Korres line by ordering from the Perfumed Court I noticed. I bought them blind and I am de-li-ghteed.
    the 'rose wood ..." is a fresh transparent rose soliflore (a little citrussy)
    the 'vetiver root ..." is a straight up vetiver a little sweet
    both are fantastic in the heat.
    my uber favorite and near signature (although I am into exploring more) is "Pepper Jasmine Gaiac wood" : the vanillic anisic base has sweetness, the heart smells of passion fruit and wood and I get compliments from 1) die-hard Guerlain wearer 2) not into parfum Pure white linnen girl. It is well made and more than I can describe, if a little linear, but with depth. If this makes sense.

a great point with this line is they have longevity and sillage, use 88% naturals, no phtalates, no nitro-muscs.
    also they are not cloying, you can reapply if needed nobody gets hurt.

For a heliotrope scent and a great, romantic background story, try Guerlain's Apres l'Ondee.

A very green fragrance she might enjoy is Estee Lauder's Azuree (like no 19, but different). Warning- it is strong which may be too much for her.

Another, sort of off the cuff but worth a try is White Linen by Estee Lauder.

Best wishes on the hunt.

You've got so many great suggestions! But I'll throw in my two cents too --

She sounds like a very modern type girl (what's more modern than wearing vintage? LOL) who'll want something sheer, green, fresh, and distinctive. From your own wardrobe I'd select:
    Iris Pallida
    Coromandel
    Vent Vert
    And maybe Jolie Madame, Iris Silver Mist, Feminité du Bois, and, because you just never know -- Mitsouko.

As for items not in your wardrobe -- has she tried vetiver? Maybe Encre Noir or Sel de Vetiver would appeal. And plus one on Different Co. Bois de Iris, and Le Temps d'une Fête! And lastly, maybe she could try L'Artisan Nuit de Tubereuse and la labo Iris 39, they're both so contemporary feeling to me.

Blog Entries

The first thing I thought of was CDG Jaisalmer-- despite the description/notes (see Luckyscent), I find it creates a sense of being out in the woods.

However, I also agree whole heartedly with L'Artisan Premier Figuier. The coconut milk note, the fig leaf and sandalwood, all make for a smooth, dry fragrance that blends with my own scent and feels very natural.

If she likes almond scents, I'd have her try Hypnotic Poison, Caron Farnesiana, Castelbajac, Etro Heliotrope.

Dior Hypnotic Poison was the first thing I tought of with your mention of coconut and almond.

Good luck! Sounds like fun.

edit: I'm also thinking, based on your description of her, that she may enjoy amber fragrances.

Well - we have a lot to do!

A m b e r fragrances
    Amouage
    - Memoir Man
    Annick Goutal
    - Heure Exquise
    Aubrey
    Ava Luxe
    Balmain
    - Balmain Balmain
    - Vent Vert (tried, "too old fashioned")
    - Jolie Madame (tried, "too sharp/strange")
    Bulgari
    - Bulgari Black
    - Jasmine Noir
    Burt's Bees
    Cacharel

- Gloria
    Caron
    - Parfum Sacre
    - Poivre
    - Farnesiana
    Castelbajac
    Chanel

- No 19 vintage
    - Sycomore
    - Bois des Iles
    - Chanel No. 18
    - Cuir de Russie
    - 31 rue Cambon
    - Coromandel
    Comme des Garcons
    - 2 Man
    - Vetiverru
    - Hinoki
    - Jaisalmer
    Creed
    - Virgin Island Water
    DelRae
    - Eau Illuminee
    Different Company
    - Bois d'Iris
    - Sel de Vetiver
    Dior
    - Diorella (tried – ”too old fashioned/sweaty”)
    - Escale a Pondichery
    - Escale a Portofino
    - Hypnotic Poison
    Diptyque
    - Philosykos
    - Tam Dao
    Estee Lauder
    - Alliage
    - Azuree
    - White Linen
    Etro
    - Heliotrope
    Frederic Malle
    - Une Fleur de Cassie
    - Une Rose
    - L'Eau D'Hiver
    - Noir Epices
    - Geranium PM
    Gres
    - Cabaret
    Guerlain
    - L´Heure Bleue
    - Mitsouko
    - Shalimar (various)
    - Aqua Allegoria (various)
    - Parure
    - Cuir Beluga
    - Apres l'Ondee
    Hermes
    - Hiris
    - Un Jardin Sur le Nil
    - Eau de Gentiane Blanche
    - Kelly Caleche (I have the deodorant – it is "nice but too scratchy-cold")
    - Voyage d'Hermes
    Jil Sander
    - Scent 79 Woman
    Korres
    - Rose wood
    - Vetiver root
    - Pepper Jasmine Gaiac wood
    Lalique
    - Encre Noir
    Lanvin
    - Arpege
    L´Artisan
    - Dzing (tried 23/8 – ”very promising!”)
    - Premier Figuier
    - Coeur de Vetiver Sacre
    - Iris Pallida
    - Nuit de Tubereuse
    le Labo
    - Iris 39 (sorry - I, pelle, can´t stand this one...)
    L'occitane
    - Vetyver
    Lorenso Viloresi
    - Piper Nigrum
    Narciso Rodriguez for her (turned sour after a short while, a favourite when it works though)
    Ormonde Jayne
    - Ormonde Woman
    - Orris Noir
    - Ta'if
    Parfumerie Generale
    - Corps Et Ames
    Patou
    Parfums de Nicolai
    - Kiss me tender
    - Temps d'une fete
    Piguet
    - Cuir de Russie (?)
    Rochas
    - Tocade
    Serge Lutens
    - Iris Silver Mist
    - La Myrrhe
    - Feminite du Bois
    - Bois de Violette
    - Vitriol d'Oeillet
    - Fille En Aiguilles
    Tom Ford
    - Black Orchid
    Last edited by pelle; 23rd August 2011 at 10:53 PM.

My swap thread

Wow, you do have alot to do! Good luck!

Sorry I couldn't get more specific with amber fragrances, pelle! I happen to love most amber fragrances, but am not yet familiar with many of the drier ones, which she may prefer since she doesn't want overly sweet scents. I recall there may be a 'dry ambers' thread somewhere...

Well we just sprayed some Ambre Sultan (Serge Lutens) and Blue Amber (Montale) and guess what? She liked.

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Sorry I couldn't get more specific with amber fragrances, pelle! I happen to love most amber fragrances, but am not yet familiar with many of the drier ones, which she may prefer since she doesn't want overly sweet scents. I recall there may be a 'dry ambers' thread somewhere...

My swap thread

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Well we just sprayed some Ambre Sultan (Serge Lutens) and Blue Amber (Montale) and guess what? She liked.
    Aha! you may be on to something... Keep up the good work. Or play, really.

Try Alessandro by Mazzolari, Hypnotic poison by Dior, Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon, Guerlain L'Instant Magique, Acqua di Parma Mandorlo di Sicillia, Reminiscence Do Re.

I thought it was time for an update on this thread. "We" have tried a lot of your suggestions, and I have finally decided to buy her a bottle of perfume. As mentioned before, it is her first ever, and had to be fantastic but also site specific (for talking like an architect) - the perfume has to be even better on her skin.

Here are some from the list that we (I) considered and that she liked more than others:

Bulgari
    - Jasmine Noir

Caron
    - Poivre

Chanel
    - Bois des Iles

Guerlain
    - L´Heure Bleue

Hermes
    - Kelly Caleche

L´Artisan
    - Iris Pallida

Serge Lutens
    - Iris Silver Mist
    - Feminite du Bois
    - Bois de Violette

BUT THE WINNER IS: DZING! I like it on me but on her it smells magical. I still want my used 50 ml bottle though so I bought her an own big one for Christmas.

Thanks all!
    Pelle

My swap thread

Thanks for the update, pelle. I'm glad that she found something she loves, and also that you enjoy too

If she likes coconuts with some wood notes maybe Sensuous Nude by EL? Burberry Brit would be one with almonds.

EDIT: OOps--never mind. I see you have a winner!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 16th December 2011 at 10:28 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/