Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 61 to 71 of 71
  1. #61

    Default Re: Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)

    Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Still letting this one progress...Loved it when I sampled it before, but now that I have it, the opening was a little tough to get through. About an hour in, I'm enjoying it a lot more.
    This is a winner for me. It is such a stunner. I have always placed this ahead of Ambre 114 and 1725 which i also appreciate highly.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)

    I smelled it briefly a few days ago.
    I think it was reformulated.

    for swap/sale:





  3. #63

    Default Re: Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)

    I smell Ambre 411 in the drydown (which im not too fond of )but the top of this has a similar smoke note to Michael for Men which I love. Dunno if its been reformulated but Ill probably go for the half oz. to start.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)

    Hi all! Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was wondering if there was any more information regarding the apparent reformulation of 1740?

    For those that haven't been following this thread, according to Luca Turin, the fragrance was reformulated with reduced leather and tobacco, but added rose and spices. However, Alfarom's interview with Gerald Ghislain seems to indicate that it's hopefully just a batch variation, but I'm unsure whether Mr Ghislain would admit to a reformulation.

    Has anyone purchased 1740 recently and able to give an opinion? I'll probably try to check it out myself over the next few days.
    Oriental and rose addict...

  5. #65

    Default Re: Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)

    As much as I enjoy rose and spices... The immortelle without the leather and tobacco as a contrasting counterpoint *could* be rather cloying and flat.
    Oriental and rose addict...

  6. #66

    Default Re: Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)

    While I love this house, I cannot do this scent. It's too much for me.

  7. #67

    Default Re: Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mistertaz View Post
    Hi all! Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was wondering if there was any more information regarding the apparent reformulation of 1740?

    For those that haven't been following this thread, according to Luca Turin, the fragrance was reformulated with reduced leather and tobacco, but added rose and spices. However, Alfarom's interview with Gerald Ghislain seems to indicate that it's hopefully just a batch variation, but I'm unsure whether Mr Ghislain would admit to a reformulation.

    Has anyone purchased 1740 recently and able to give an opinion? I'll probably try to check it out myself over the next few days.
    I asked Gerald Ghislain about this directly when I visited the HdP boutique in Paris last month, and he was clear that it has not been reformulated (and explained that none of his fragrances have been, in fact). He doesn't move the kind of volume where he'd even worry about small cost savings in reformulation, and he's not feeling pressure from regulatory bodies. When I mentioned that many thought that 1740 had changed, he said this would be due to fragrance components aging and changing character over several years. So an older bottle will indeed smell different simply for having aged a bit.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)

    Thanks for your reply 'Onethinline'! What you've said is reassuring, and I suppose we have to trust the integrity, passion and pride of Mr Ghislain in his products. I will happily finish my decant and probably buy a bottle. It's rather perfect for the depths of the Winter I'm currently going through.
    Oriental and rose addict...

  9. #69

    Default Re: Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)

    Don't really think any nose or perfume house owner will ever admit a reformulation (unless he or she can use it as an excuse to blame the IFRA he or she voluntarily joined ). This said I tried 1740 three or four times in the past months both in shops and from friends and it did not smell different for me, so I guess it's true it has not been reformulated and it may only be a matter of "aging" ...
    My current top five:

    Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Jil Sander - Man
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

    ______________________________

    My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

  10. #70

    Default Re: Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)

    I keep coming back to my sample but after a good number of wears I'm already pretty sure that I won't need a bottle. It's interesting but a bit undecided in what it's meant to be. I guess in that regard it's actually living up to its name sake. When they hear "Marquis de Sade", most people probably hope for something extreme in one way or another - very assertive, very harsh, very animalic, very decadent / oppulent, very whatever. That, however, is not what this fragrance is. Mildly decadent maybe but not much in the way of a erotic.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mistertaz View Post
    Hi all! Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was wondering if there was any more information regarding the apparent reformulation of 1740?

    For those that haven't been following this thread, according to Luca Turin, the fragrance was reformulated with reduced leather and tobacco, but added rose and spices. However, Alfarom's interview with Gerald Ghislain seems to indicate that it's hopefully just a batch variation, but I'm unsure whether Mr Ghislain would admit to a reformulation.

    Has anyone purchased 1740 recently and able to give an opinion? I'll probably try to check it out myself over the next few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I asked Gerald Ghislain about this directly when I visited the HdP boutique in Paris last month, and he was clear that it has not been reformulated (and explained that none of his fragrances have been, in fact). He doesn't move the kind of volume where he'd even worry about small cost savings in reformulation, and he's not feeling pressure from regulatory bodies. When I mentioned that many thought that 1740 had changed, he said this would be due to fragrance components aging and changing character over several years. So an older bottle will indeed smell different simply for having aged a bit.
    It was definitely reformulated. I wish I came to that conclusion by smelling an old bottle next to a newer one. I wish that because id buy the old one in a heartbeat. I loved vintage 1740 but couldn't handle the immortelle.
    When I finally came round to it, I found he'd reformulated 1740.


    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Don't really think any nose or perfume house owner will ever admit a reformulation (unless he or she can use it as an excuse to blame the IFRA he or she voluntarily joined ). This said I tried 1740 three or four times in the past months both in shops and from friends and it did not smell different for me, so I guess it's true it has not been reformulated and it may only be a matter of "aging" ...
    Le Labo publicly announced that they'd reformulated Patchouli 24 - with no adverse side effects. After a thorough comparison, I concur.

    for swap/sale:





Similar Threads

  1. Ambre Russe, 1740 Marquis de Sade... which one do you prefer?
    By Postumo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 4th September 2011, 08:05 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12th March 2010, 08:38 PM
  3. Histoires de Parfums - 1740 (Marquis de Sade)
    By petruccijc in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th April 2009, 06:01 PM
  4. Histoires Des Parfums 1740. yum leather.
    By everso in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 19th February 2009, 02:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000