Code of Conduct

Default What is the best way to evaluate samples?

I'm completely new to colognes and I recently received several 1 mL samples from Perfumed Court. However, I am not sure how exactly I should use these samples. Should I dip a piece of paper or rub some onto my wrists? There doesn't seem to be any kind of applicator that comes with the vials.

Thanks.

Default Re: What is the best way to evaluate samples?

The risky thing is, in some cases you don't get the full impression of a scent from vials that you can't spray; spraying seems to bring out much more of the top notes. To get a good impression of a 1 ml sample I pour at least half of it on my arm. Unless I know that it's of nuclear strength. And if it's something in the category of light & fresh, I pour the whole sample. So just pour, spread it with a finger, pour some more.

I've found the best thing to do with the little sample vials is to put my wrist over the opening, then turn the vial upside down, with wrist sealing the opening. Then I slide it around on my wrist a bit so some of the juice comes out - enough to pool up on my wrist just a little bit. Then I press the wrist to the back/side of my neck, under my ear. Press, don't rub. Repeat with the other arm. The juice on your neck will give you a pretty good idea of how the perfume reacts to your body heat, and the stuff on your wrists is easy to access for smell checks...

Edit: With the above method I get 2 - 3 samplings from each vial. Also, I do agree that you get a better evaluation from spraying. I get empty spray vials from accessoriesforfragrance.com and put my vial in those.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    I've found the best thing to do with the little sample vials is to put my wrist over the opening, then turn the vial upside down, with wrist sealing the opening. Then I slide it around on my wrist a bit so some of the juice comes out - enough to pool up on my wrist just a little bit. Then I press the wrist to the back/side of my neck, under my ear. Press, don't rub. Repeat with the other arm. The juice on your neck will give you a pretty good idea of how the perfume reacts to your body heat, and the stuff on your wrists is easy to access for smell checks...
    I've got to remember this method!

Banned

Edit: With the above method I get 2 - 3 samplings from each vial. Also, I do agree that you get a better evaluation from spraying. I get empty spray vials from accessoriesforfragrance.com and put my vial in those.
    +1 ... excellently said !

Basenotes Junkie

samples dont do it justice for me

This is more or less how I do it as well, works great. I love samples and this way seems to really give you a good idea of what the perfume is like. Good Luck!

Another thing wear your sample for as long as you can (like spread out over days if possible) sometimes you don't know how much you love a fragrance (or are indifferent to a fragrance) until you have run out and want more/miss it.
    Last edited by latesa; 17th December 2011 at 06:09 AM. Reason: just wanted to add something

I've found that if I'm not spraying like i would normally it's just not the same. Dabbing on the wrist then raising wrist to nose is just not the same as conventional spraying. I transfer liquid from vials to atomizers and spray to test.

for swap/sale: