Code of Conduct

Thread: Rape

Default Rape

Default Re: Rape

smh not a word to be used in joking around. inappropriate even if joking

No jokes are ever inappropriate as that is the inner nature of jokes. It did not offend me at all. I believe joking and comedy are a field which is (and must be) completely free from any concern about inappropriateness (or any concern at all). This said I guess this is a sensitive matter and not everyone sees it the same way - and Basenotes is not a comedy-fans forum so I guess we're not forced to be that open-minded...
    My current top five:

Réminiscence - Noir
    Dior - Jules
    Domenico Caraceni - 1913
    Charenton Macerations - Christopher Street
    Dior - Eau Sauvage (vtg)

My sales thread | Evody Bois Secret, Gucci PH, Shiseido Basala (deo), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Burberry London.

Most jokes are inappropriate, but many jokes are not funny. I can go either way with rape. I'm rape neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    No jokes are ever inappropriate as that is the inner nature of jokes. It did not offend me at all. I believe joking and comedy are a field which is (and must be) completely free from any concern about inappropriateness (or any concern at all). This said I guess this is a sensitive matter and not everyone sees it the same way - and Basenotes is not a comedy-fans forum so I guess we're not forced to be that open-minded...
    Really? What if it was in reference to a child?
    This is the most inappropriate comment I have seen on Basenotes joking or not. There is no place for this sort of comment joking or not in any situation.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    This is the most inappropriate comment I have seen on Basenotes joking or not. There is no place for this sort of comment joking or not in any situation.
    +1 thank you

I reported the post as soon as it happened. Rape should never be joked about. Anyone who has been, or knows someone who was raped would know that.

100% agree rape should never be joked about. It is not funny plain and simple and rape jokes aren't funny, there is no room for that kind of junk here.

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Pardon? You decide what there is room for on a public forum? That is my opinion which is as much legitimate as yours. There is no place for your attitude instead - you're really not entitled to take an opinion and judge it is inappropriate. And by the way was a general discourse on joking - which if you are familiar with comedy, any proper comedian repeatedly does when facing controversies (I recall Gervais writing this a couple of years ago about fat jokes). I guess Hedonist is not a comedian but the matter is general and applies to jokes in their entirety.
    My current top five:

Réminiscence - Noir
    Dior - Jules
    Domenico Caraceni - 1913
    Charenton Macerations - Christopher Street
    Dior - Eau Sauvage (vtg)

My sales thread | Evody Bois Secret, Gucci PH, Shiseido Basala (deo), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Poohdini View Post
    100% agree rape should never be joked about. It is not funny plain and simple and rape jokes aren't funny, there is no room for that kind of junk here.
    Agree that here is probably not the right place but not that humour noir should be banned from planet earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Pardon? You decide what there is room for on a public forum? That is my opinion which is as much legitimate as yours. There is no place for your attitude instead - you're really not entitled to take an opinion and judge it is inappropriate. And by the way was a general discourse on joking - which if you are familiar with comedy, any proper comedian repeatedly does when facing controversies (I recall Gervais writing this a couple of years ago about fat jokes). I guess Hedonist is not a comedian but the matter is general and applies to jokes in their entirety.
    This is a public forum for fragrances not rape jokes. My wife's aunt was raped and murdered. please be more sensitive, I come to this forum to read about frags not inappropriate jokes that are not funny. Thank you

Although not offended or threatened by the statement I'd like to offer my apologies for unthinkingly going along with it. I have deleted where I quoted it and altered my post so as not to refer to it at all.

I'm not going to get into whether or not I believe such humour is appropriate. I'll just leave my reasoning that it is just good manners to try not to offend or upset people. I understand that sometimes it can trigger a response that is not merely someone being prudish.

I don't encourage people to make jokes about bombs and terrorists while at the airport or on a plane either.
    Last edited by Darjeeling; 31st October 2014 at 10:54 AM.
    Aventus? Never heard of it.

There are some topics that should never be joked about.

I believe he was being sarcastic about revealing identity. I agree it wasn't sensitive and perhaps off-color, but we should give him the benefit of the doubt as I don't feel he intentionally meant to cause harm. Hopefully he realiizes that some of you are offended and lesson is learned. So let's be kind and not make him a martyr.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I believe he was being sarcastic about revealing identity. I agree it wasn't sensitive and perhaps off-color, but we should give him the benefit of the doubt as I don't feel he intentionally meant to cause harm. Hopefully he realiizes that some of you are offended and lesson is learned. So let's be kind and not make him a martyr.
    I agree. And I'm assuming that maybe his thought process was that as it was addressed to a man who would likely take it as the joke it was intended to be there was no intent to cause harm. It may also have been a reference to another offensive internet meme involving a sloth.
    Aventus? Never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I also agree with this. We all say and do the wrong thing at times. I would not be least bit offended if someone said this to me in the context in which it appears to have been said. But it's also not just about whether or not I'm offended. You must consider everyone here and appreciate that someone is going to be offended.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Basenotes Plus

Does a place exist for rape comedy? Yes. With stage shows of certain comedians who are known to push the envelope. Is that place basenotes? Not even if you are Amy Schumer or Anthony Jeselnik. Look I get that comedy today is all about who can take the most taboo topics and squeeze laughs out of them. But none of us are comedians (that I know of) and even if you are this is not your venue for testing such jokes. Consider me offended.
    If you are one of those people who insist on paying full retail......Please check out my for sale thread.

The only thing that offends me on Basenotes is the constant drumbeat about Aventus. An average frag at best......You see, Aventus is appropriate in any thread.

When you have a problem with a post, report it and let us deal with it. As we have. I'm closing the thread now.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Poohdini View Post
    While Basenotes is not a suitable place for controversial jokes, if you're going to say rape should never be joked about, then surely that must also apply to murder, war, deadly diseases etc. Dark humour has always existed and the merits of the joke depends on the context in which it's told.