Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Trying KINSKI tonight....

Got it at Scent Bar, Steve the SA told me they are the only ones that have. Can't wait to tell you all about it!!

Default Re: Trying KINSKI tonight....

Looking forward to hearing your report.

Cool Kimmy, first had report. Let us know !

Yes, please share!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Waiting for the impression. Don't like the bottle design though.

VERY curious about this one. Do share!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Sounds interesting.

for swap/sale:

Let us know...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

I posted a review about it guys. Xoxo.
    Looking for:

Creed - SMW, MI
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood, Neroli P, Amber
    Amouage - Jubilation
    Acqua di Parma - Essenza
    Molecule 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post

Yep, that's the one.
    Looking for:

Creed - SMW, MI
    Amouage - Jubilation
    Acqua di Parma - Essenza
    Molecule 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by KimmyMcG View Post
    I posted a review about it guys. Xoxo.
    Where?

Cassis, juniper berry, schinus molle (Peruvian pepper), castoreum, marijuana acccord, nutmeg, plum, orchid, magnolia, orange flower, rose, benzoin, vetiver, cedar, patchouly, styrax, cistus, costus (ginger), musk, moss, ambergris

Sounds amazing...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Where?

Cassis, juniper berry, schinus molle (Peruvian pepper), castoreum, marijuana acccord, nutmeg, plum, orchid, magnolia, orange flower, rose, benzoin, vetiver, cedar, patchouly, styrax, cistus, costus (ginger), musk, moss, ambergris

Sounds amazing...
    Because I'm new they haven't accepted my review under the actual KINSKI brand?
    Looking for:

Creed - SMW, MI
    Amouage - Jubilation
    Acqua di Parma - Essenza
    Molecule 1

Because I'm new they haven't accepted my review under the actual KINSKI brand?
    I have only posted one review (I think) and it took weeks to months to get approved. sigh... You could always "cut and paste" your review here and we could read it.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Plus

Hey guys, so I bought Kinski about two weeks ago at Scent Bar. Now you have to bare with me because I am NO where near as smart the lot of you that I have been "talking" to about fragrances, BUT I'm going to try. I have used it four times and now I'm a little more confident about giving a review.

Kinski Notes

Kinski is odd and confusing and I hate and LOVE it all at the same time throughout the journey that it takes me on. This is a very bold complex textured scent. If you don't like woods or Vetiver, then I would pass, but I LOVE both.

The first five mins of putting this on I think to myself, "What the hell is this smell?" It's so completely different and I have no words. I will say last night I put it on and sat on the couch next to my perfect adorable Boxer Marley and she literally sat up and started to smell my arm, then started to lick me, LOL. She has never done that, now I know she's a dog and not a beautiful woman, but that had to be a compliment right, LOL. Anyway, the first 5 mins, I'm confused and think I hate it, but I believe it's a love hate thing, because from then on, I'm TOTALLY in love with Kinski. It has longevity and takes you on a multifaceted journey.

"Kinski begins boldly as cassis and juniper are met with a mix of castoreum and vetiver. The castoreum adds an early animalic touch and the vetiver seems like the vetiveryle from Escentric Molecules 03, full of smoky intensity. This is a mix of top notes which are better together than as their separate parts. This is slightly sweet berry over strongly dark notes to comprise a study in yin and yang. The heart is a quartet of floral notes; rose, magnolia, cistus, and orchid; which again provide a yin. The yang in the heart comes from nutmeg, pepper, ginger, benzoin, and styrax. Hr. Schoen accentuates the prickly, piquant nature of the latter set of notes, much like Hr. Kinski’s famous temperament. They are layered over a traditional floral beauty, much like Hr. Kinski’s acting talent. The base notes are the only thing in Kinski which are straightforward as Hr. Schoen gives my overworked olfactory receptors a break. Patchouli, musk, and ambergris are the surprisingly soothing finish to this fragrance."

XOXOXO!
    Looking for:

Creed - SMW, MI
    Amouage - Jubilation
    Acqua di Parma - Essenza
    Molecule 1

Excellent review Kimmy.
    How does it project if you've sprayed it on your neck? Are you able to constantly smell it when at idle or do you need to sorta move around to catch wiffs of it?

for swap/sale:

Dependent

The berry/plum turned me off (don't like too many fruity damascones), but the animalic components appealed to me. I clearly got the castoreum and musk. I found the composition quite smooth and round, went down easier than Klaus seems to have in person. :P

Is the synthetic element in Kinski as strong and prominent as it is in the other Escentrics? Is the perfumeur Geza Schoen?

Received a sample of Kinski today and my first impressions (wearing it for two hours now) are: excellent! I might be totally off here but to me it smells like the baroque, more animalic, brother of Terre d'Hermes. I learnt to appreciate TdH but it sometimes is too highpitched for me, Kinski seems to avoid that successfully. Serious contender for my next purchase - but it's too early to make that decision (I keep telling myself).
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 3rd February 2012 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Received a sample of Kinski today and my first impressions (wearing it for two hours now) are: excellent! I might be totally off here but to me it smells like the baroque, more animalic, brother of Terre d'Hermes. I learnt to appreciate TdH but it sometimes is too highpitched for me, Kinski seems to avoid that successfully. Serious contender for my next purchase - but it's too early to make that decision (I keep telling myself).
    I'm wearing Kinski right now and I agree with the Terre d'Hermes similarities. To me, it smells like TdH's chilled-out, younger brother. It's less serious and harsh, but also darker and has more "life."

The opening IMO is a lemoney-juniper-cannabis crystal accord, which meshes perfectly with a heart of nutmeg-leather and ambergris. The whole way through, there's that sharp and penetrating cedar accord from Terre d'Hermes, but it's buffered by the leather and ambergris, so it doesn't attack your sinuses.

It's a very, very interesting fragrance, and although it's similar to TdH, no one would mistake one for the other.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, forgot to mention that there's also a similarity to CDG 2MAn, in terms of the leather and vetiver. If you like Terre d'Hermes and CDG 2MAN, you'll most probably really love Kinski too. I prefer it to both TdH and 2MAN>
    Sales thread here

L'Aventurier, yes very similar to CDG2 Man and Vetiver 46.

But that explsogive gunpowder note in KINSKI is just mesmerizing.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Oops, forgot to mention that there's also a similarity to CDG 2MAn, in terms of the leather and vetiver. If you like Terre d'Hermes and CDG 2MAN, you'll most probably really love Kinski too. I prefer it to both TdH and 2MAN>
    I just sampled the Kinski today and as a longtime owner/user of CDG 2Man, I can't really discern from the two. What I mean to say is, there are not enough striking differences to me (aka my nose) to justify purchasing. I'm sure someone beyond my amateur scope can pick out subtleties that I am unable to...but for my dollar, I'll stick with the CDG.

Mr. TL, I agree that CdG 2MAN and Kinski might be mistaken to be the same by someone who hasn't spent a lot of time with both of them.

I've spent a lot of time though with Kinski and CdG 2MAN (and its long lost brother, Vetiver 46), so they're pretty dissimilar to my nose.

The main differences for me (which are pretty big, but that's subjective, I suppose) is that Kinski opens up with this amazing, piercing, green note that mixes lemon, juniper, cannabis and pepper. CdG 2MAN, on the other hand has none of the aforementioned notes, and simply opens up with a whip-crack of candle wax and smoke (and mayyybee a bit of citrus).

Then, into the heart, both 2MAN and Kinski start to share some similarities, mainly leather, cedar, vetiver and nutmeg. CdG 2MAN is much more aromatic though, while Kinski maintains its piercing and green top notes far into its heart. Eventually, Kinski mellows out though and turns into a hazy mix of its former self (ie. its topnotes are still! present) and a huge dose of ambroxan (ambergris).

At the final stage (the base), Kinski becomes a mix of Iso E Super, a ton of ambroxan and some slightly salty vetiver, while CdG 2MAN disappears almost completely into a light, herbal mix of something along the lines of ketchup (yeah, I know that's not a listed note!), cedar and vetiver.

They share A LOT of notes, but their characters are very different. The only similarities to my nose are the leather, cedar and vetiver.

That was a long, perhaps unnecessary analysis, but I hope that's interesting to someone out there haha

Note bene: I prefer Kinski to Vetiver 46 and Vetiver 46 to CdG 2MAN
    Sales thread here

^
    My experience only lies with CdG, I confess. Merely sampling a frag for one day doesn't necessarily give me the right to declare them similar or dissimilar...I was only stating my initial opinion of the Kinski. For my budgetary standards, I cannot justify buying two fragrances that share so many similarities. I'm sure if the Kinski fragrance would have fallen into my possession prior to the CdG, I fear I may have been on the other side of the fence.

I do appreciate your in-depth and eloquent description of the subtle nuances that arise between the two offerings...so thank you for that.

I've been going through my little sample vial this past week.

Gunpowder and pot.

It's awesome and horrible...

I feel like it's a manly fragrance for people that like manly fragrances... but as far as the general public is concerned... it might as well be a stinkbomb.

I gotta try this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    I gotta try this stuff.
    I strongly suggest it, it's one of the most interesting (and amazing) fragrances I've smelled in a long, long time.
    Sales thread here

last night I put it on and sat on the couch next to my perfect adorable Boxer Marley and she literally sat up and started to smell my arm, then started to lick me, LOL. She has never done that, now I know she's a dog and not a beautiful woman, but that had to be a compliment right, LOL.
    AHAHHAAHHAHAHHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

That's awesome!

...and it's an excellent review, BTW!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I just checked Barneys.com and it's listed but I was just in Barneys about a week ago and don't recall seeing it. I'll likely be back there this weekend, hopefully they've got a tester.

Great, bizarre fragrance.
    I wonder what happened to Kimmy? She came on here in a whirlwind, supposedly bought about $4000 worth of frags at Scentbar in a couple of days, bought a bunch of stuff from me, and then disappeared.....

Banned

Looking for a bottle or a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazz View Post
    Looking for a bottle or a sample.
    i have a small sample left over from luckyscent...you're welcome to it if you'd like.

A clever marketing campaign anyway. Much more accomplished than the fragrance itself.

Barneys, Y U No have Kinski?!

- - - Updated - - -

Just got a sample of it. What would y'all say is the major player in this composition? It's certainly interesting. I'm getting some sharp (perhaps citrusy) vetiver, and maybe white musk. Definitely picked out the marijuana note on top but that seems to have come and gone. To y'all that have Kinski, does it see a lot of action? Also what kind of projection and longevity do you get? I'm sampling it from a Luckyscent tester vial so I don't think I'll be able to accurately gauge that sort of thang.

Shiny Beast, it's lovely. I particularly enjoy the gunpowder opening. I you're curious, smell it smells similar to Vetiver 46 by Le Labo.

Longevity and projection are excellent.

It does not overlap with V46. It compliments it. If you enjoy v46, you should add kinski to your wardrobe too.

for swap/sale:

Dependent

Just got a sample of it. What would y'all say is the major player in this composition?
    More of a dense ensemble piece than star player juice. To me it's dominated by the patchouli, castoreum, green florals, vetiver and cedar. I would also hazard that it's a descendent of Salvador Dali pH, minus the leather and greener.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    castoreum, vetiver and cedar.
    These three elements to me but I also suspect the presence of costus.

What's the story behind this brand/project? Who came up with the idea?

Kinski is one of my favourite actors of all time

Still trying to decide if I need to have it or just like it 'cause it's different than the usual suspects. I've smelled Vetiver 46 but I'll need to revisit it to make a comparison. I do notice some resemblance to CdG 2man, but I'm going from memory on it. Thanks for the feedback on this one, trying to wrap my head around it. I wish these absurd Luckyscent samples had an atomizer and were double the size.

Kinski is a unique experimental combination of ozonic and animalic notes (plus oakmoss, cannabis, woods, vetiver, undistinguished floral patterns and furthermore) producing a bold, weirdly gloomy and spicy sort of almost potpourry/hippie aroma (probably conjured in its almost vintage musicality by an association of weed, mouldy floral notes, orange blossoms and saltiness) which anyway finally develops in to a velvety, gassy/spicy and surprisingly glamour hyper modern and somewhat leathery trail. This wave is finally a fantastic hurban modern/dark experiment with a somewhat new age and existentialist background. Daring and avant-garde is the kinski's ability to bind past and modernity and on this sphere it shares similarities with some Histoires de Parfums concontions (for instance Petroleum- a totally different beast anyway- and further). At the beginning I detect by soon pink pepper for sure (a note performing its ostensibly leathery effect throughout) than a following inebriating blast of bergamot, vetiver, floral notes, ozonic notes, mild spices and synthetic weed. The latter exudes that sort of cozy "ambiental" feel turned out in a more modern and "orgiastic" key by the experimental implementation of spices and ozonic patterns. Anyway there is an old school basic foundation (provided by a bergamot/patchouli pair, a stuffy floral accord a la Sballo Acampora or Magot Etro linked with animalic notes as castoreum, may be cypriol and cistus plus deep dark oakmoss). The neo-classic chypre soul is anyway overturned in a modern key by a weird implementation of ozonic, spicy and animalic patterns. The contrast of somewhat opposite elements as mouldy resinous weed and spicy ozonic notes elicits that futuristic (leathery and organic in effect) weirdness representing the innovative vibe of this excentric fragrance. The weed keeps to join castoreum and woods in the central denser stage (still peppery, cannabis dominated, vaguely boots polish type and with a lemony influence from bergamot). The final phase appears to me smoother and mossy with hints of vetiver and may be ambergris. The vetiver in particular, linked with bergamot and synthetic suede (aroused in effect by the combination of diverse notes) exudes that typical dark tea type of woody fluidity we are able to spot for sure. I agree with Drseid, Kinski performs the almost stuffy/vintage and esoteric allure of the "dope", but it is a main accord of bergamot, vetiver, pink pepper and castoreum that makes the scent itself with its ostensibly leathery final synthetic spark. I appreciate kinski because of its courage and the innovative message (an hippie/glamour olfactory "oxymoron"), I accept its synthetic soul because it is trendy and pop, agree who with takes it not for groundbreaking but for a slightly "kinky" casual sin to be experienced when the occasion is as weird, unmentionable and unconventional to demand it. Kinski is a little freak and sexy secret to pull out of the hat occasionally as for a sleight of hand.
    Last edited by Darvant; 20th April 2014 at 09:27 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I must be hyperosmic to the iso-E-super in this or I cannot smell the other notes because all I smell is the woody iES note loud & clear with a faint cannabis note in the background. I am straining and struggling to like this but I can't seem to warm to it.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle