Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is similar to vintage Cartier Santos? Other than Santos Concentree?

Hi BNers,

Managed to score a 30ml splash EDT of vintage (Brown glass bottle) Cartier Santos, and this stuff is amazing. Very pleasing scent and very masculine.

But I have heard that the new version in the plastic bottle is quite watered down, compared to the old stuff. And since I cant try out Santos Concentree beforehand (Different noses etc), I was wondering if there are any other scents that are quite similar to vintage Santos?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is similar to vintage Cartier Santos? Other than Santos Concentree?

There are a few scents that kind of have that sandalwood/patchouli vibe from the 80s. Versace L'Homme and Girgio for Men come to mind. But the execution is a bit different. Santos has a more discreet and gentlemanly vibe to it.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is similar to vintage Cartier Santos? Other than Santos Concentree?

To me, that is a very "pungant 80's powerhouse" type scent. I can't quite recall what it reminded me of, but I want to say Tussardi Umo?

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

From my wardrobe, the nearest in smell/feel to Santos is Molinard's Teck, with its added teak-wood accord.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey - just saw a thread about Bel Ami that reminded me of this! I would definitely make a connection between that and Santos.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    From my wardrobe, the nearest in smell/feel to Santos is Molinard's Teck, with its added teak-wood accord.
    This definitely comes to mind. Agree that it's a good alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Up to a certain point, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone.

I will get around to trying those. Quite a few will be very hard to find here. Any more "regular" designer scents, that might come close?

Or should I just blind buy a bottle of Santos Concentree and be done with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ahdk View Post
    Hey everyone.

I will get around to trying those. Quite a few will be very hard to find here. Any more "regular" designer scents, that might come close?

Or should I just blind buy a bottle of Santos Concentree and be done with it?
    I blind bought Santos Concentree and hasn`t regret a second! It`s much better than the regular version they generate today. I have not find anything quite similar.. Van Gils classic has some similarities.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing not-so old 30ml new-style dark brown bottle but from old-style silver box (without any oversized C letters). With GREAT pleasure. Recently I took a notice that it's running out ...and bought me a 50 ml new one - same bottle design, new red box. I won't paint my disappointment in full colors, but I guess you, Gents, know what I've felt. I tried to wear it for a week to no effect. Decided WTF, so be it, and put it aside for summer wear. Thanks God, it is only a 50ml bottle.

In parallel, I started thinking on just the same quiestion that ahdk posted above.
    Unfortunately, with all my love to 70s-80s scents in the Wardrobe, nothing close came to mind.
    What I mean is,
    Trussardi Uomo - no, it has a sharper herbal-spicy twist (like new the new Santos at the start);
    Lapidus PH and Givenchy Gentleman are much more heavy on the patchouli;
    ...ans so on.

As a result, I only can think of a "mutant" of Zino Davidoff (woods), Bel Ami (patch), Lagerfeld Classic (ambery) and Aramis (leather).
    Sure, it won't help (as opposite to Hope This Helps) answering the question,
    IMO that is once more to say that Santos is THAT unique.

Regards, Odor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I blind bought Santos Concentree and hasn`t regret a second!
    Same here!

IMHO - Versace L'Homme is the closest to Santos.