Code of Conduct
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2012

Been in Gaultier2 which means I'm sort of in synch even though it isn't strictly niche. I'm counting it as niche though as the nose behind it is Kirkdjian. Who cares what Sanchez and Turin thinks, I love it and have used in excess of 1000mls or so in my time!

I was planning on going with Kirkdjian's Oud for the synch today, but I opened up the vial today and decided it was way too sweet for my mood.

So I went with a sample of Tangeri from Keiko Mecheri's Bespoke collection. I sprayed several of these on my skin at the release event at Scent Bar, and Tangeri was definitely the nicest at the time. And I have to admit that it's much better on a full wearing, and does a fantastic job of conjuring snow-covered mountain forests. This is what the overly sweet Himalaya should smell like, in my mind...

I'd like to say, that Keiko is a very nice lady and it was really fun to talk to her at the release event. However, this Bespoke collection is wicked overpriced at $275 for 50ml...

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I'm in Pivoine Rose, by Serena Ava Franco/Ava Luxe. Even though there really aren't many peony perfumes out there, I think I've smelled most of the available ones, and they all pale in comparison to PR. Seriously, Serena should get some sort of award for this ...a big trophy or something.
    Was notified last night that mine is on its way! I'm so excited, E! At her prices, I won't even give you a hard time for being my enabler!

I'm in Ava Luxe, too- Bakir extrait. Yes, what E. said. This one deserves an award, too. Very complex and vintage in feel. It's got a ton of notes so I won't list them (I have done so somewhere already, in one of these threads) but it's a very green, rosy, soapy in the early stages, chypre-ish woody oriental. Similar in style to Ivoire, Chamade, even No.19 but not leathery. I believe it's one of Serena's masterpieces- really worth a try if you like the style.

Also have to say I am addicted to Serena's extraits. They're a little closer wearing than the perfume oils but they're not wallflowers. They develop beautifully and last longer on my skin than most other houses' extraits. They're divine!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Happy Birthday to you, tdem1961!! (I have given up trying to insert images from my computer. All the best advice in the world and the image never appears any larger than the size of a half-dollar. Sorry, tdem!)

Joining Evangeline in an Ava Luxe scent for today's scent synch: China Pearl.

Take care, all.

I did sync last friday(08/06/13) in Malle's Un Rose .I sprayed some in my hair too(it seemed lighter when I was applying it)and it STILL is THERE TWO DAYS AND A SHOWER LATER! Grr ... I'm getting a wee bit tired of it .Plus a co-worker is allergic to roses -Ooops!
    Fragrance Omnivore

Basenotes Plus

LOL! fantastic longevity does have it's drawbacks I guess.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I made up for the missed Friday sync by wearing Mona di Orio's Vanille on Saturday and Ormonde Woman today.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    Ormonde Woman today.
    Me too!
    Perfume appeals to my nose the way music appeals to my ears, exquisite food to my taste buds, photography to my eyes, and great loving from my man to my sense of touch.

I can safely conclude, then, that PERFUME IS ART in its purest form.

As an artist, I therefore have a responsibility to buy as much perfume as I can. You know, to learn about art and all.

http://www.sheblogsitall.com

Okay, what is a Transporter?????? A decant or purse spray? Takes you to another place?
    DONNA

Or is reminiscent of the smell of a bus/train/plane?

I would interpret it as a scent that evokes a strong memory or feeling. Or perhaps a real or imagined place.

That's how I would read it devilcat. Not sure what I'd choose from my wardrobe. Poison would transport me to the honeymoon early days of my marriage. Jicky to my late teens and my first job. ELdO Sex Pistols to my days as a punk/goth/indiechick.

Gaultier2 would transport me to Egypt but I've worn it so much it's effect is watered down.

Choices choices....

Basenotes Plus

well on Friday I shall be transporting myself (hardy har har!) to the Arizona desert to spends Father's day weekend with cher Papa.
    Must remember to throw a "transporter scent" in purse when packing.
    A Scent Rescuer

Blog Entries

I am transported to other times and places by nearly all of my scents- that's the whole reason I love this avocation. I have no idea which one I'll select at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Okay, what is a Transporter?????? A decant or purse spray? Takes you to another place?
    The original idea was: a smell which transports you to another place/time. But as always, alternative interpretations are welcome and fun to hear.

Ah, now I can start thinking and planning.
    DONNA

My biggest "transporter" is Ormonde Woman. I feel myself immediately in an old, half-dark forest with huge trees and a thick carpet of dark green moss. There is a feeling of dampness in this forest, it is very quiet and somehow mysterious - a fairly-tale land.

today i will be syncing with two. i will be wearing Curve by Liz Claiborne, and this afternoon i am going to buy Mambo by Liz Claiborne just for this sync. taking me back when to when i was 18 and things were going amazing. those two fragrances were what i used to wear all the time back then. hope that all of you have a good day.

I don't know yet which it will be for me, but it will be a transporter for sure.

Ubar. I own the original version, no idea what the newer one is like. Anyway the first time I smelt it, I was transported back to being a little girl and searching in my mother's handbag. The smell of Ubar smells how my mother's handbag did. No idea, how Polo mints, hankies, a leather purse, makeup and cigarettes = Ubar but it did.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by gabeinstyle View Post
    today i will be syncing with two. i will be wearing Curve by Liz Claiborne, and this afternoon i am going to buy Mambo by Liz Claiborne just for this sync. taking me back when to when i was 18 and things were going amazing. those two fragrances were what i used to wear all the time back then. hope that all of you have a good day.
    That is great Gabe! Mambo specially for the synch. I hope that you enjoy being transported back to when you were eighteen!

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    My biggest "transporter" is Ormonde Woman. I feel myself immediately in an old, half-dark forest with huge trees and a thick carpet of dark green moss. There is a feeling of dampness in this forest, it is very quiet and somehow mysterious - a fairly-tale land.
    That sounds fantastic bonsai, as does donna's mums handbag.

Today I have chosen Santa Maria Novella Peau D'Espagne. I bought it last week in Italy but it is perfect today because it transports me very vividly to the time and place that I first smelled it, around twelve years ago in the Officina Profumeria-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella at 16 Via della Scala in Florence. I can remember how I felt when I first saw the wood and glass cabinets, the huge gilded angel candle sconces, the incredible array of products, the antique pharmacy jars, and the smells, oh the smells.

I recoiled when I first smelled this. It is medicinal, pungent to begin, more like a perfume ingredient than a fragrance of its own. As I said on SOTD I only wanted to smell it last week out of interest, to "recalibrate", and to my surprise I loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Ubar. I own the original version, no idea what the newer one is like. Anyway the first time I smelt it, I was transported back to being a little girl and searching in my mother's handbag. The smell of Ubar smells how my mother's handbag did. No idea, how Polo mints, hankies, a leather purse, makeup and cigarettes = Ubar but it did.
    HA! Ubar, that bottle of magic! The first time I tested (more like drowned myself in) Ubar, my boyfriend left the house just before I did, and came back to me being fully dressed up, made-up, and wearing pearls! I still believe it's the Ubar.

I'm testing today, and as kumquat said, every perfume transports me, so that'll be my sync. I'll update with what I'm wearing as soon as I've figured it out (just got 21 samples in from a niche-perfume shop here in Holland)!
    Perfume appeals to my nose the way music appeals to my ears, exquisite food to my taste buds, photography to my eyes, and great loving from my man to my sense of touch.

As an artist, I therefore have a responsibility to buy as much perfume as I can. You know, to learn about art and all.

Blog Entries

I'm off to Ibiza, Spain with Hierbas de Ibiza.

My transporter is Farnesiana by Caron.
    I first tried Farnesiana in Paris, Printemps store. I had a terrible fragrance fatigue by the time I made it to the Caron corner: a few random Armani prive, just about the entire line of numbered L'Artisans, a good helping of Black Afgano, some SLs, and the rest I would not even try recalling! And the general feeling of air being so thick with fragrances, you could cut it with a knife. It was not only my nose that could not tell the difference, by then I ran out of open skin as well. But I could not walk past the Caron corner! Here we go: roll up the t-shirt sleeves - not a lot to roll up, but still I can get some precious skin space! Without taking eyes of Farnesiana, I've tried French Cancan and Tabac Blond. With very little open skin left (left shoulder and left hand back of the palm) I applied Farnesiana. Nose fatigue... I could not smell anything!

Two hours later. I am sitting on the steps of La Madeleine. A sudden gentle whiff of sweetish mimosas and hey, cyanide like notes of almond kernels and hyacinth, and creamy vanilla. Ah, this is coming from my left shoulder. What was it again? Farnesiana. Back of the left hand to my nose - delightful, gentle, almost intoxicating, impossible to take away and resist.

This is one of my most powerful transformers. Today I am in Paris, sitting on the steps of La Madeleine on a warm August afternoon, looking at the Place de la Concorde in a distance. You are very welcome to join me.

Europe 354.jpg

p.s. how do I make pics look bigger?

Blog Entries

What a nice transporter story, Blue Eyez. I wish I had some juice from the Paris shop to try. I don't think I liked Farn. When I tried a sample. I like many of the other Caron's, though.

As for your pictures, the size is determined during the download. It says 'image resize'. Then there is a button to click for size. In Tiny Pics, it is called 'message board'. It's followed by the pixel size-640x480.I think.
    Last edited by kumquat; 15th June 2012 at 10:55 PM.

Thank you, kumquat! I also like many Caron's, and would not mind adding a few more to my collection.

I'll have a play with images, and see if I can reload a bigger picture.

Blog Entries

By the way, I had trouble with tiny pics lately so I downloaded Google Chrome. Now it works again.

That really is lovely, Blue_Eyez. I feel like I'm right there with you, girlfriend.

My transport today was Shalimar edc. I wore this one in my 20s during a period that was particularly carefree and happy for me. I had actually bought the ribbed columnar atomizer as a gift for someone, but I fell in love with Shalimar while purchasing it for someone else, so I decided to keep it, and I gave the person something else, I don't recall what. That is the ONLY time I have ever done that. It was my first "Shalimar" experience (and soon afterward I discovered the toe curling extasy of the extrait!!). Shalimar has so many memories and associations for so many of us.

Lovely story, Blue_Eyez! It immediately transports me back to my Paris trip in April. Jicky and Vega do this for me. There is nothing like the wonderful Caron extraits.

Lilybelle and Larimar, thank you for the kind words! I must add, Vol de Nuit extrait is another Paris transporter for me.

I love shopping for fragrances while overseas. It gives me another reason to relive the memories, and creates strong assosiations between places and fragrances.

Just catching up. Blue_Eyez your "transporter" post is gorgeous. What a lovely story so well told. Thank You!

Ispahan by Yves Rocher It will be it for next synchro.
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I didn't realise i had some Farn sitting right beside me on my desk and have put it on and read your story again whilst wearing it. I am with you totally. I may join you this Friday Sophie as I have Ispahan

This morning looking at my decants revealed the obvious choice for this Friday's sync: Keiko Mecheri Osmanthus - an Asian flower from a Japanese perfumer. I haven't worn it for a while - it will be fun to pull it out again and see how I like it this time.

Hmmm... Toughie. Can only think of vintage Opium EdP via a dabber. Still might be ott for work in the current humidity. Will probably synch with it tomorrow evening

Would Coromandel count? (Coromandel=Chinese lacquered screens).

I'll test another Satori scent for the sync!

Hm... yes, I've got something that would suit the far east sync tomorrow, yay!

Perfumerie Generale Indochine then.

don't know what to wear for tomorrow's sync. any suggestions?

I would say something oriental, that can be associated with Japan or China.

That's funny, I did not remember what the sync was, and I lost my computer, but we were moving last friday, so literally speaking I was in sync.....
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

(((FrouFrou)))!!! It's so good to see you!

I think I will give Dzongka a first time wearing, thanks to my pal Foustie. I suppose "far east" is relative to one's point of origin?

lillybelle, we have moved! 14 days of total stress, and I dropped my computer, total loss.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I'm sorry to hear about your computer, Frou. At least you are moved now, which must have been a huge undertaking.

Yeah, uhm, I haven't actually moved yet, I have moved my husband to a new home. I still have to get my own move done, but the greencard is taking a very long time.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Far east, but not too far - Fumerie Turque by SL. It was a blind dip into SLs bottles. Lucky dip

I changed my mind in the morning and opted for Keiko Mecheri's Ume (japanese plum) - one of my all-time favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Would Coromandel count? (Coromandel=Chinese lacquered screens).
    Sure it would! And what a fantastic choice!

I took a look at your wardrobe and you have several perfect fits: Issey Miyake scents, Creed Himalaya and Shalimar (India). Of course anything with a note with Far-Eastern origin would fit (e.g., osmanthus, champaca, mysoire sandalwood, Indian spices), anything from an Asian house/nose and of course anything which you have an Asian association with.

Well I'm going over to the man camp and wearing Jaipur homme by Boucheron. I just love this one and it doesn't smell too masculine on me. It's a completely unsung perfume in my opinion.

Dzonghka for me.
    DONNA

I'm adopting a boringly literal interpretation in this synch - Chinatown (far east US-style). Bottle looks very oriental at least, though not sure about the smell. Apologies for lack of imagination!

Joining with Amouage Gold Homme. I know it's not a farthest east perfume option, but rather oriental India, but let it be...

I was also thinking about some Masaki Matsushima but those scents are so light, short-lived and not my style that it would be a total scrubber.

So thank God for that Amouage sample

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thought about pulling out shalimar but it has been too hot to wear it. So Issey Miyake Leau D'Issey

Hi everyone! My, we are well travelled.

I am going to Kyoto later today courtesy of Comme De Garcons.

As a Los Angeleno, I have a hard time thinking of Japan as the Far East, as it's the closest thing to the West of us... So I went to India (I think) with a bit of Tam Dao. Niiiiice.

Hey thanks for reminding me about Mat; -I was going to go scentless until later and sync with Asja .But now I am enjoying the short lived Mat; while I do some chores.
    Fragrance Omnivore

I am halfway in sync, and maybe not even that, I am wearing La Perla, by La Perla, which, according to my husband, who is from the Middle East, reminds him of oud and home.
    Actually, every chypre, especially with rose in it, seems to remind him of oud.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I am halfway in sync, and maybe not even that, I am wearing La Perla, by La Perla, which, according to my husband, who is from the Middle East, reminds him of oud and home.
    Actually, every chypre, especially with rose in it, seems to remind him of oud.
    That's nice it reminds him of home

Gabe I think the mosquitoes might have their way with you and carry you away in the muggy MA heat if you wore Shalimar- LOL

I'm not syncing this morning- but will join in later in Shanghai by Marc Rosen. It's foggy and drizzly here today so it won't be over powering. Had it been sunny, I would have chosen Koto by Shiseido.
    A Scent Rescuer