Code of Conduct
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2012

I am joining Kewart and jujy in the "Promise her anything but give her Arpege" love fest. I was looking for my bottle of Bellodgia, was tempted by Via Lanvin, but then found an onopened boxed set called "Les Romantiques D'ARpege" I got on evil bay.
    1 oz Eau D'Arpege, .25 parfum. Original price tag still on the box- Osco $6.00.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Why don't the men come up with a synchronized Friday thing? Sounds interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

senore01, just join us here! We have lots of fun and you are free to interpret the sync themes any way you like.

jujy, what a special occasion indeed! Beautiful pics!

No.22 still going strong. They don't make 'em like these vintage EDCs anymore.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing vintage Derby for today's synch. I might be cheating a wee bit Derby was actually introduced in 1985, which means IF my decant was from one of the early bottles, it would count. But it probably wasn't ... but I don't care. I LOVE Derby and this was a perfect opportunity to wear it.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like

I'm synching with you this evening: Corday Toujours Moi parfum from ebay.

Post Thanks / Like

hi everybody. hope that all of you have a great week. i missed the last sync. gonna catch up and wear either Chanel No. 5 or Shalimar.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Missed todays synch but boing bounce it up there.

random sample grab today

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Random sample grab! OK going to do it just now. My samples are organised in boxes but the themes are loose. I am going to a box which mostly contains purchased samples from Les Sentuers, some really just for reference, and which has stuff collected over several years. I won't look.............................................. ................................OK, I'm back. Tauer Pentachord White has been grabbed! So that is my SOTD today.

PS This is good, I have stuff like Yatagan in there, but if it had been picked it would have to have been worn. Respect to the synch!

Total bust, lol..I grabbed Montale Roses Elixir..I don't like that one, LOL. I guess I shall give it another go!

Edit: Still don't like it, lol. My 'review' for this scent is in the Top 5 of whatever thread, lol..it's top 5 reasons why I don't like Montale Roses Elixir, lol
    Last edited by kalli; 20th July 2012 at 11:07 AM.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like

In sync with Ed Hardy Villain. Although I do have a bottle, I also had a sample.

Post Thanks / Like

What brilliant idea!! Reached in and pulled out

PdeN's gorgeous chameleon!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My random drawing resulted in ...

Amouage Homage.

So it's an obscene field of roses for me today. I'm skeptical of overly decadent perfumes, but maybe I'll fall in love with Homage throughout the day.

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Reached into my box of decants, mostly from lovely BNers, and grabbed Yatagan (yet again!). I'd better do something badass today.

[thanks cacio for the sample]

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Been meaning to test the 30 perfumes I bought since I was 16 (all mainstream fruity florals) to decide whether I'm keeping them or selling them (almost all are 90% full). Grabbed 4 today, and must add that I'm disappointed in my past self's taste (or lack of it).

So for today's sync I'm wearing Vera Wang EdP, J'adore L'absolu, Chloe EdP (giving this away free on the Free to a good home thread), and Salvatore Ferragamo Attimo. I'm not going anywhere so it's ok... :P
    Perfume appeals to my nose the way music appeals to my ears, exquisite food to my taste buds, photography to my eyes, and great loving from my man to my sense of touch.

I can safely conclude, then, that PERFUME IS ART in its purest form.

As an artist, I therefore have a responsibility to buy as much perfume as I can. You know, to learn about art and all.

http://www.sheblogsitall.com

Post Thanks / Like

Random sample grab = *gasp* Amouage Gold Woman

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Random sample grab = *gasp* Amouage Gold Woman
    LOL enjoy!
    Perfume appeals to my nose the way music appeals to my ears, exquisite food to my taste buds, photography to my eyes, and great loving from my man to my sense of touch.

As an artist, I therefore have a responsibility to buy as much perfume as I can. You know, to learn about art and all.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, ick. I grabbed EldO's Vraie Blonde. Already knew I didn't like this, second wearing is not changing my mind. Supposedly an aldehyde scent but here we go again- just because a perfume contains aldehydes does NOT make it an aldehydic. There is no sparkle on me, just heavy, sticky sweetness. I may as well be wearing pie filling. Want to find an EldO to love; this ain't it!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

That's so funny, PerfumedLady, about wearing pie filling, lol.

Random sample is Diptyque Ofresia, which is nice, but maybe a tad boring. Notes are white freesia and black pepper. It's very pleasant, light and fresh floral.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

In synch now with Huitieme Art Sucre Ebene on my right and Le Labo Patchouli 24 on my left.

Interestingly opposite ends of the fragrance spectrum. One sweet, vanillic edible. One dry, tarry astringent

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Semi-syncing. I just had the wardrobe genie pick a random scent for me because most of my samples are at work these days.

From Ineke's Alphabet series Chemical Bonding

Chemical Bonding is sparkling citrus combined with powdery softness of floral and musky notes.
    top= citrus, blackberry and tea
    heart= peony
    base= vetiver, amber and musks.

It's refreshing like an traditional EDC but the base is slightly powdery and make it last more than the 20-30 minutes of a traditional EDC.
    A Scent Rescuer

MMm, I didn't care for the Chemical Bonding much, seemed like I got a note of orange Pledge or something on top.

I scrubbed the Montale and put on An Evening Edged In Gold.....much better.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Funny how many of us drew random samples that we didn't like and knew we didn't like!

Blind test result: I got rid of the greasy, overbearing, simply not for my skin type Homage within forty minutes in favor of the new Habanita edp. Probably heresy, but the latter was so much better. I hate orange and dislike oud and put them together= hate-dislike dizzyspell. None of the feminine Amouages I've tried work for me. As a beginner I may not quite be up to them yet, but they're too heavy, like a canvas soaked through with gold paint.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Random sample is Diptyque Ofresia, which is nice, but maybe a tad boring. Notes are white freesia and black pepper. It's very pleasant, light and fresh floral.
    Oh, I love freesias! I've read that Ofresia captures the beauty of the real scent better than many freesia perfumes... what do you think?

(I missed the sync today! Sorry for being off topic!)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    like a canvas soaked through with gold paint.
    IDK why this sounds strangely appealing to me...

Ok, that is my last off topic tangent!

Our internet was being dodgy so I didn't post. I had also picked out Montale and thought very little of it. It didn't actually say what it was, just says Montale Paris. Smells like a lavender loo freshener to me with a touch of bubble gum like the round pink sticky hubbaloos we used to have as kids. Do you remember blowing such huge bubbles that they popped and stuck over the whole of your face? I just couldn't get away from that idea once it was stuck in my head. It then turned into an amberish lavender sweetie guest soap.

What is it meant to be? I shall have to look it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh this one is hmmm for me. I don't do citrus colognes, but love Eau de Guerlain for the spicy vibe in there.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Oh this one is hmmm for me. I don't do citrus colognes, but love Eau de Guerlain for the spicy vibe in there.
    Morning Donna!

Well I do do Citrus Colognes. Love 'em. Isn't it great how diverse we are?

But actually my favourite refreshing fragrance was probably Heeley's Sel Marin and I just swapped what I had left of it with a good friend (in the knowledge that I will buy another one). It is like being caught by sea spray and ozone. So, today I will go to one of my old loves, Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Sicilia, a straight up citrus cologne of the very best kind. Lovely.

Oh la la! I didn't even know that wearing Garner James Orange Cologne I'm syncing with the theme. Yaay!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    Oh la la! I didn't even know that wearing Garner James Orange Cologne I'm syncing with the theme. Yaay!
    Welcome to today's synch lucasai. Remember "The Friday Synch makes you think"! Or makes you stink, (well sometimes), but all in a good cause.

Except Gabe. He never stinks. He always seems to get around the potentially stinky ones.

Well I know what I am wearing thanks to you

Ferre Bergamotto Marino - delicious!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Synching up in my most refreshing scent, not summery or anything since I'm averse to major citrus and other freshies:
    Shiseido Energizing Fragrance for a too-early morning in which I really need that Energizing thing to happen. Trying it for the first time today.

top: carnation, green petals, clove, black pepper
    middle:iris, jasmine, heliotrope, lily-of-the-valley, star anise, rose
    base: sheer woods and white musk

Shiseido's minimalist marketing and simple ingredients make their scents seem tame--almost like simple hygiene products or, with this title, aromatherapy. This one is actually quite intriguing, sexy, and complex. Refreshing like a sauna followed by a dip in a cool pond more than like a blast of cold air.

Sigh, are we doomed to be free ad generators up in here? I do really like it though! Unexpected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Remember "The Friday Synch makes you think"! Or makes you stink, (well sometimes), but all in a good cause.
    Yes, last week made me stink! But to those who have never tried Vraie Blond, don't listen to me back there. It is a very wearable EldO, just isn't my taste.

This week I'm neither stinking nor thinking. I'm in my easy, crisp Cristalle EDT. Citrus is great in summer but it's really greens that have the most cooling effect for me. Cristalle has the best of both. Plus, those beautiful hyacinths that make me think of an emerald green shady glade with little blooms popping up here and there. Cools my brain as well as my body!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Travel tropical islands this week. Got to be La Maison de la Vanille, Vanille Divine des Tropiques from a very generous sample courtesy of a very generous BN enabler.

Might ramp up the coconut with Zara Coco Romance which is perfumery Bounty Bar with about a 3 minute life span

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do Tropical in fragrance. I know I will have something, especially if I just think vanilla rather than fruity.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Tropical islands - trying to resist just slapping on Beyond Paradise or something with a prominent coconut note and thinking about heat, fruit, Robinson Crusoe, Mutiny on the Bounty, Gauguin paintings, exotic diseases ...

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone. According to the directory this has notes of raspberry, plum, pink pepper, pomegranate, patchouli, frankincense, spicy woods - perfect combination of light and dark.

Post Thanks / Like

I got it. Honore de Pres Vamp A NY, all vanilla and rum.
    DONNA

Oh no! I sprayed Iris 39 in the morning, I'm out of sync! I'll try to jump into something tropical when iris wears off in the evening

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I don't do Tropical in fragrance. I know I will have something, especially if I just think vanilla rather than fruity.
    Me neither Donna. Wouldn't you think that living in a miserable cold Northern place like I do would mean that I would appreciate a tropical fragrance, but alas, no. It seems that I like miserable cold fragrances too! Aha! But all is not lost for I have a sample of Bahiana. Not a tropical Island I know. In fact I believe that it was inspired by Brazil? But it is a lovely tropical cocktail of a thing so that will do nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Make that 3 of us! I'm just not a tropical flower kind of gal, that's about the last genre of scent I'd like to wear. Tropical islands have simply never called to me, so am unfamiliar with other scents of the isles. We have lots of cold, damp greyness here, too Foustie, in winter at least. Guess we are "misery loves company" types with our perfumes!

So, as close as I can get to anything tropical- vanilla. L'Artisan's Vanilia for me today. It is a very summery vanilla. I'm saying it counts!

Post Thanks / Like

Woohoo! Time for some Virgin Island Water...

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Not been able to synch due to the migraine. Please may I synch tomorrow morning instead? Surely morning in the UK means it will still be Friday somewhere?

Was planning the Zara Coco Romance/Vanille Divine des Tropiques combo
    Last edited by Alityke; 3rd August 2012 at 08:56 PM.

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Mayotte!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Bahiana is nice indeed, Foustie.
    Well count me in the non-tropical folks- that genre always denotes big sweet cloying white flowers and greasy suntan lotion. I just don't relate to heavy scents in the heat.

I'm digging a really cheap bottle of Giraud Bali Sunrise out of the closet to re-test. The name fits the bill. Reporting back later.
    A Scent Rescuer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Bahiana is nice indeed, Foustie.
    Well count me in the non-tropical folks- that genre always denotes big sweet cloying white flowers and greasy suntan lotion. I just don't relate to heavy scents in the heat.

I'm digging a really cheap bottle of Giraud Bali Sunrise out of the closet to re-test. The name fits the bill. Reporting back later.
    For reasons that I can't explain, "Giraud Bali Sunrise" really appeals to me!! Maybe it reminds me of an old Bob Hope and Bing Crosbie movie or something. Do report back....!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL..I haven't found it yet so I've spritzed on a little Chanel EDC to tide me over
    A Scent Rescuer

I had planned on Mahora for last SyncFri but was at the mall (rare occurance for me) an went and tested Brit edt and Chance eau Fraiche .Whoops!
    For this Friday 8-10-2012 Scent that reminds you of a painting or sculpture.......I don't know yet.
    Paloma Picasso? Jontue- 'cause the package looks Impressionistic? One of my parents' bottles of Van Gogh ?EA Sunflowers? Issey Miyake or Gaultier might squeek under the wire as fabric sculptors.....Terre d'Hermes for flinty stone smell?
    Hmmm...
    Fragrance Omnivore

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Sculpture?

Post Thanks / Like

Today's is a toughie. I've had a look through my wardrobe and the smells don't evoke any paintings or sculptures for me, so will have to make some other connection. Think I'll go for Angel Garden of Stars Violet, and will associate with Van Gogh Starry Night. Angel edt is another possibility, since the bottle's got that swirly thing going on which is reminscent of the painting.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Synching in Sisley Eau de Soir and being literal because of the sculptured gold top

Soir de lune. A clever SA spritzed me with it when I was shopping in my lunch break, and when I went back to painting I kept getting these lovely whiffs of scent when I moved, or when my arm stretched out to the canvas.... I had to get a bottle!
    So Soir de Lune has a painting association for me. Today back at work, painting, and wearing Soir de Lune. Hmmmmmm.

And Soir de lune also has a sculptured top
    Here's a painting

''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Not syncing today, as I am dying to test stuff, but if I had synchd I would have worn Olympic Orchids Golden Cattleya. I recently blogged that the perfume reminded me of Audrey Hepburn.

Here's the pic:

Audrey-Hepburn-Smile-Leo-Fuchs.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

FrouFrou! There you are, our gorgeous redhead! So nice to see you! That's another beautiful piece of work you've posted for us; I miss your art around here!

I'm not honoring a specific work but an entire movement- the Art Deco period. My favorite era for many things: architecture, sculpture, jewelry & perfume design especially. Wearing the most perfectly Art Deco perfume of all, No.5.

Happy sync day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi girls, and guys. Eek! I am not prepared. I will have a think and came back later with SOTE. Hi Frou Frou! What a gorgeous post!!

Perfumed lady, I have been solving one disaster after the other, and although I had little time for fun, I smelled great all the while

foustie, thank you
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well I have nicked devilcats idea of Van Gogh's Starry Night and I am going with Goutal Nuit Etoilée. I think that is goes very well with frou frou's painting too. It is quite mysterious and it has a wee edge to it. I expected it to be all Patchouli and Pine though and it's actually herbal and minty!

Paloma Picasso for me today,I need to refresh as I sprayed edt.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Ah, I just rememberd once I reached my workplace that today is sync Friday! Arrrrrgh... And I'm wearing Muguet du Bois. No Chanel or Patou decants in my drawer either. I'll sync in the evening, probably with Sira des Indes - the summer has finally arrived here!

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't join last week, brain went blank(family staying with me on holiday). Today it will be Cuir de Russie parfum from the early 00s.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Only have one Patou that I could call on (a sample of Sira des Indes) but I've got plenty of Chanels, so going with Coco Mademoiselle. Haven't worn this in a while. Very nice, and added advantage is that I'm thinking if I have this, I don't need Coco Noir.

I'm not syncing today. Yesterday I received 5 packs full of perfume samples. Two from swaps, one from a perfume boutique and two from generous friends. Got over 30 new perfume to try so I just couldn't resist and had to go for some Penhaligon's today.