Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2012

I think I'll wear sécrétions magnifique...or not...

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Yes, let's finish 2011 in the old thread. I'll leave the upcoming two syncs (today and the 30th) in this thread though until the end of 2011, then they'll go in the "2011 syncs" list.

I agree, keep 2011 in 2011.

In synch with Knowing, Estee Lauder, from a sample I got from the shop here.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Oh, sheesh, this is the 2012 thread...

''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Thanks Bonsai for the good job on this thread Also love the next year's synchs

Bonsai,you're just brilliant!Posting the 4&5 star lists was above and beyond-thank you!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Blog Entries

We don't have anything on Jul 27 -- and it can be pretty hot for many of us -- how about a favorite refreshing scent?

A scent with a musical theme?

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    We don't have anything on Jul 27 -- and it can be pretty hot for many of us -- how about a favorite refreshing scent?

A scent with a musical theme?
    Great suggestions, thank you! I have added them to the list.

i'm stuck for this friday's decision.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gabeinstyle View Post
    What are your contenders?

I decided on the latest obsession -- 1740 by Histoires de Parfums.

I'm just as curious as Warum to find out about your contenders. We could just pick your Friday SotD for you from your list!

Blog Entries

Bonsai, I got another idea for sync -- it's the opposite of favorite ad/description. We can do a fragrance which you love but hate the ad for it (would be fun to post the ads). A similar idea is a mis-match -- a fragrance that does not suit its ad/description/name.

I'm actually having second thoughts, considering Nahema for tomorrow. I have no bottle, but this was my rocking scent discovery this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    I'm just as curious as Warum to find out about your contenders. We could just pick your Friday SotD for you from your list!
    feel free to pick one from my wardrobe.

Erm I know I'm being dim but forgive a newbie, whats the guide?

Songe pour elle by Lilly de Reve for tomorrow

ps
    i changed my mind...finally i go with Kiss me Tender by Parfums de Nicolai
    Last edited by sophi; 30th December 2011 at 08:55 AM.
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Erm I know I'm being dim but forgive a newbie, whats the guide?
    Not at all! Perfumes:The Guide is a book written by Luca Turin&Tania Sanchez. Contains ratings and reviews of a fairly long list of fragrances as well as more basic info about perfumes-history,chemistry,fragrance families,etc. Not a book to swear by but a handy little resource to have-mine is downloaded into my Kindle to help enable the perfume shopping habit even more!

Thank you I think I may do same

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Not at all! Perfumes:The Guide is a book written by Luca Turin&Tania Sanchez. Contains ratings and reviews of a fairly long list of fragrances as well as more basic info about perfumes-history,chemistry,fragrance families,etc. Not a book to swear by but a handy little resource to have-mine is downloaded into my Kindle to help enable the perfume shopping habit even more!
    Dang, smart girl! I think I'm going to do the same thing. on the kindle, what a great idea!

Bonsai, I got another idea for sync -- it's the opposite of favorite ad/description. We can do a fragrance which you love but hate the ad for it (would be fun to post the ads). A similar idea is a mis-match -- a fragrance that does not suit its ad/description/name.
    Thank you - another fun idea. I am adding them to the list (combining the two).

feel free to pick one from my wardrobe.
    That's a challenge - I am not familiar with most of your fragrances. What about Black Orchid or Bal a Versailles? Or the one you feel like wearing the most today?

It will be Bal a Versailles. Thanks Bonsai.

Alityke and Warum,be warned:
    SAs do NOT like it when you stumble into their shelves while wandering through the perfume dept. with your nose in your Kindle!

Dled the free sample of The Guide last night. Read it through. Deffo gonna dl the book today. Great tip

Happy 2012 to all of you! Two more nights to sleep and our first Friday sync of 2012 is here!

We'll kick off with the first one in the "Travel Theme" series: Arabian nights. Pull out your oriental heavy hitters, your spice bombs, your scents of seduction. Or reach for your damascus roses, scents reminding you of the hot desert sun or of sticky sweets.

Get your fantasy going and share your choice and the reasoning behind it with us. A fun Friday to all the synchronisers!

Nice Theme

ISPAHAN by YR (vintage and release of the year 2007) will be my scent for this synch
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Blog Entries

I am still not sure what I will do. Amouages seem to fit the bill (Lyric and Epic especially, and I had some samples of both). Got a sample of SL Arabie too. Decisions, decisions...

Thank you for keeping this synching going. I could never do it so well or even at all. Great homage to Le Grand Duc for maintaining it for so long and big smackers for you for picking it up.

I think I will be in Profumos Caravan No 1

I have chosen for Traversee du Bosphore from a sample. Pleasant enough but I don't need a bottle of it. I have also prepared samples of some myrrh scents yesterday but it's just not cold enough over here for their proper enjoyment.

Well Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax. So thick,sweet and rich it could be sickly but manages somehow not to be.

This was a blind buy for me from TKMaxx at under £10.
    DONNA

Ambre Sultan, also from a sample. Very dry, herby opening, not at all sweet, with just a hint of creaminess at the bottom. Certainly conjures up images of heat and dust. Let's see how it develops.

This was a good opportunity to get out "Lyric Woman" again - I have been neglecting in the past year. Just love the opening, but the middle notes are always a tad too gourmand for me. It does have a very sensual feel to it though...

Hi girls. Crikey, I don't believe it! I am twins with Bonsai! Of all the choices available we have both chosen this one, and I thought that it was quite a fun and cheeky choice, so I had my reasons all ready. Here they are;

My choice for the Arabian synch is Traversee du Bosphore by L'Artisan Parfumer. Now, come on, I know that the Bosphorus is not in Arabia, it runs through Istanbul. But I can justify it! Here goes;

1) Turkey and Arabia have close historical and trade links
    2) This fragrance somehow reminds me of The tales of Scheherezade and One Thousand and One Arabian nights, my favourite chilhood book, AND
    3) One of my favourite Basenoters loves this fragrance and he lives in Arabia in real life.

Yipee! High five!

Traversee du Bosphore is a beautiful comination of Iris, Sweet Almond, Saffron, a suggestion of leather, and a rose and vanilla accord which suggests Turkish Delight. Very romantic, very exotic, very Arabian.....sigh.
    Last edited by Foustie; 6th January 2012 at 12:19 PM.

Basenotes Plus

By Kilian Rose Oud for today.

Foustie, I buy your justifications You may continue

I wimped out and went with something I'm familiar with - SL Chergui. Lyric Woman would have been a nice sample surprise, but I hate to sample at work. Distracting

Great synch idea for today!

Good morning and happy Friday. Today I'm wearing Creed's Ambre Canelle.
    Last edited by gabeinstyle; 6th January 2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: damn iphone

Hey y'all -

I'm in Méharées by L'Erbolario for bonsai's inaugural Synchronized Friday. Congrats bonsai - you're doing a great job, and it's looking quite successful so far!

Foustie - no need for any justification, really! Istanbul is actually located on two separate continents, and sits on both sides of the Bosphorous, the European (Thrace) and the Asian (Anatolia), so you're totally in the clear.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Good morning biters and happy Friday. Today I'm wearing Creed's Ambre Canelle.
    Tell us more!

Evangeline. Tell us more!

I'm wearing Attar for our sync. It is from a decant simply labeled "Attar", so I don't know whose it is, perhaps Montale's. I've been reading the reviews on that one, and this might be that. It's lovely anyway, and I rather like not knowing. A mystery seems in keeping with our theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Tell us more!

Evangeline. Tell us more!
    well, i bought this blind from Oaksbluff. the first day that i wore it was to my boss's house for lunch. His parents and family members were all there. (they are from India) When I was introduced to my boss's father, he complimented me on how amazing I smelled. He knew what i was wearing and it surprised me. He then told me stories about India and how the smelled reminded him of his earlier years.

Well, syncing in Shalimar EDP for only the hundredth time or so. Feel like I choose this waaay too often for sync but you say "Arabian nights" to me and it is the only scent that pops into my mind. I'm running to be elected BN's most predictable&dull member!

I was not that original either, I wore some Aperçu this morning because my hubby told me it remembered him of Arabia, and SotE is Tabu, which to me has a lovely intricate spicy half life, and then dries down into something very subtle, and in the end I very often smell something citrussy. Has anybody else had that experience with Tabu?
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Smile Re: Synchronized Fridays 2012

well, i bought this blind from Oaksbluff. the first day that i wore it was to my boss's house for lunch. His parents and family members were all there. (they are from India) When I was introduced to my boss's father, he complimented me on how amazing I smelled. He knew what i was wearing and it surprised me. He then told me stories about India and how the smelled reminded him of his earlier years.
    Fragrance as a catalyst for friendship and storytelling! Very cool, and what a great story.

Frou Frou. I haven't had tabu or a long time but you have recently spread the lurve and I must get some.

Perfumed Lady. You, boring?! Not in a million years. Maybe we should challenge you to find a good reason to match Shalimar EDP to every synch. That would be a hoot!! But then you would miss out on other stuff, so maybe not.
    Last edited by Foustie; 6th January 2012 at 07:50 PM.

Hi girls. Crikey, I don't believe it! I am twins with Bonsai! Of all the choices available we have both chosen this one, and I thought that it was quite a fun and cheeky choice, so I had my reasons all ready. Here they are;

My choice for the Arabian synch is Traversee du Bosphore by L'Artisan Parfumer. Now, come on, I know that the Bosphorus is not in Arabia, it runs through Istanbul. But I can justify it! Here goes;

1) Turkey and Arabia have close historical and trade links
    2) This fragrance somehow reminds me of The tales of Scheherezade and One Thousand and One Arabian nights, my favourite chilhood book, AND
    3) One of my favourite Basenoters loves this fragrance and he lives in Arabia in real life.

Yipee! High five!

Traversee du Bosphore is a beautiful comination of Iris, Sweet Almond, Saffron, a suggestion of leather, and a rose and vanilla accord which suggests Turkish Delight. Very romantic, very exotic, very Arabian.....sigh.
    You're right it is very Arabic. Leave political borders and geographic maps. Arabs have been trading for centuries. Even though Turkish are not Arabs per se, but we are otherwise very similar in most aspects.

You have my Arabian seal of approval! lol

for swap/sale:

Just read this fabulous thread. Thank you Bonsai and all.

Imagine fridays will be just that more interesting especially when books/movies/travel/geography come around.

The only *theme* I could think of, after the great ideas here was a painting/sculptor/photograph would inspire.

Thought of this as Eve Arnold that magnificent photographer sadly has died and I wore Aesop today but actually thought of Number 5 because of the truly beautiful photographs she took of Marilyn Monroe.

kind regards

sea roses
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Basenotes Plus

HAPPY FIRST SYNC OF 2012, ALL!
    the posts referencing Istanbul started an earworm on my head of the old & silly song:
    Is tan bul is Con stan ti no ple, Is tan bul is Con stan ti no ple, Is tan bul is Con stan ti no ple, la da da da lalala da da...........

Right now I'm in Vallee des Rois by Mira Takla, even though it references Egypt but later I shall indulge in Chergui.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Blog Entries

I went with Epic after all -- Arabian Nights is a great epic itself, and Amouage, and I really expected a serious baroque scent, but it turned out far more delicate that I thought it would be! I thought of spices, amber, dark Amouage signature incense, but I am smelling a much more gentle floral oriental composition which is, according to Mr. W who lived in Florida for many years, centered around a live ginger blossom. Lovely, but how well I fit with the theme - that I do not know.

Perfumed Lady. You, boring?! Not in a million years. Maybe we should challenge you to find a good reason to match Shalimar EDP to every synch. That would be a hoot!! But then you would miss out on other stuff, so maybe not.
    Lol, lol! You're too kind,Foustie! The sad thing is I know I could probably find an excuse to sync Shalimar every Friday! I promise I won't though- I'd have you all wanting to throw rocks at me in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    The only *theme* I could think of, after the great ideas here was a painting/sculptor/photograph would inspire.
    Welcome!

Thank you for this fun sync idea - I have added it to the list.

Perfumed Lady. You, boring?! Not in a million years. Maybe we should challenge you to find a good reason to match Shalimar EDP to every synch.
    It would be fun to hear your reasoning for wearing Shalimar every Friday (even if you choose to wear something different).

I love the art idea. Maybe specific paintings like what do you think the Mona Lisa is wearing? Or maybe Olympia or [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_Venus_(Botticelli)"Venus[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I love the art idea. Maybe specific paintings like what do you think the Mona Lisa is wearing? Or maybe Olympia or Venus
    Fun! I love the idea of selecting a few specific paintings (or photographs, maybe sculptures are harder to associate scents with?) instead of leaving it entirely generic.

So I'm calling on you ladies to cast your votes on paintings, etc., you'd like to see scented. Sea Roses, maybe you have some suggestions for photographs? If there are many suggestion then we could make the sync into a series covering a few Fridays (we still have several months in 2012 to fill in anyway).

I think we should all choose our own artwork, and post it with the associated perfume we are wearing. And maybe if you want to explain why the artwork reminds us of a certain scent.
    That would be really interesting.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I think we should all choose our own artwork, and post it with the associated perfume we are wearing. And maybe if you want to explain why the artwork reminds us of a certain scent.
    That would be really interesting.
    Ok, I'll leave it as it is. The fun of this sync will be indeed, to see each other's choices and read the explanations. Thank you.

That's a fun one, the artwork idea.

Blog Entries

I like the artwork idea, too, with the art posted.

As a result of Arabian Nights sync Mr. W had fallen in love with Epic Woman -- he's completely smitten, had never been smitten like this with a perfume! Whoa, whoooo kneeeewwwwww?????

There is a good synch.... a perfume that has the OH smitten.... and we don't want any detailed reports.....

As a result of Arabian Nights sync Mr. W had fallen in love with Epic Woman -- he's completely smitten, had never been smitten like this with a perfume! Whoa, whoooo kneeeewwwwww?????
    Who would have thought that our syncs will have such an effect? Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    There is a good synch.... a perfume that has the OH smitten.... and we don't want any detailed reports.....
    No, we sure don't want detailed reports.
    We already have a "family favourites" sync in the list btw.

Hi,

Some really great ideas, I love aldehydes, vintage, blast from the past, buried treasure, random sample, even some of the geographical ones, however, some I find too restrictive but ok I guess we are all different)).

What about something uber feminine, your most feminine or even descriptive things like your most sensual fragrance, etc.

I also love the idea of a woody fragrance but then should we not have a gourmand, a floral, etc. etc.

I also have a question about the list, I was really shocked because it is very different from the lists I have read so far. On the ones I have read so far Diorissimo would definitely be a five star fragrance and totally agree there, Clinique AE is also listed as a five star and Clinique is completely missing from these lists, so does Chloe; my fave Love, Chloe usually earns four stars but is nowhere on these lists. Has anyone else noticed it is entirely missing fragrances that should be there and others are there lower or higher? Ok, it is somewhat subjective but it is very strange to see juices in the top of other lists that are entirely missing from even the four star frags here.

Quote Originally Posted by OVincze View Post
    Hi,

Some really great ideas, I love aldehydes, vintage, blast from the past, buried treasure, random sample, even some of the geographical ones, however, some I find too restrictive but ok I guess we are all different)).

What about something uber feminine, your most feminine or even descriptive things like your most sensual fragrance, etc.

I also love the idea of a woody fragrance but then should we not have a gourmand, a floral, etc. etc.

I also have a question about the list, I was really shocked because it is very different from the lists I have read so far. On the ones I have read so far Diorissimo would definitely be a five star fragrance and totally agree there, Clinique AE is also listed as a five star and Clinique is completely missing from these lists, so does Chloe; my fave Love, Chloe usually earns four stars but is nowhere on these lists. Has anyone else noticed it is entirely missing fragrances that should be there and others are there lower or higher? Ok, it is somewhat subjective but it is very strange to see juices in the top of other lists that are entirely missing from even the four star frags here.
    Welcome! I hope you'll join us for the next syncs, we're having a lot of fun over here.

With the geographic syncs the point is to use your fantasy: in one of the previous posts we have listed some ideas on how one can approach it. I think it is much less restrictive than it seems at first glance.

Thank you for the sync ideas! I am not sure about the "most feminine" fragrance - I wouldn't know what to wear. I find that the wearer makes a fragrance really feminine and sensual and not the other way round. Let's wait for the opinions of the others on this.

I am adding the gourmand and the floral scents to the sync list.

About the 5- and 4-star lists: they are taken from "The Guide", Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez's book. Thus the lists reflect the opinions of the authors and they are by no means a "universal truth". Every one of us loves some scents which were bashed by LT and TS and hates some which were ranked high by them.