Code of Conduct
Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2012

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    The Story of "Cold Perfume"

When my daughter was still in her teens, she bought me Panthère de Cartier EdT for my birthday. She said it reminded her of when she was a little girl, probably just 4 or 5, and how when I came home from orchestra about 11:30 or so, I'd tiptoe into her room and give her a kiss. She said when I came home I smelled like "cold perfume" and she went searching for that scent memory. I had never worn Panthère, but no matter, this was a recreation of a memory not a smell. She must have saved a few allowances to buy this, and I do get compliments from others when I wear it. No, I didn't wear it in the orchestra pit per the "no perfume" clause in our contract, and I was retired when she gave it to me. It sums up what I love in life, too: music and my kids. I'll sync with this.
    And so you should. Lovely.

Blog Entries

Fweep, Pheeeeeeeeew. (That is a wof whistle for Gabe).

Mumsy, you have given me a notion to try Diorling. I like kinda cold dry labby medicinal smells. Honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post

Mumsy, you have given me a notion to try Diorling. I like kinda cold dry labby medicinal smells. Honest.
    (feeling like a BOSS) thank you thank you. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post

(feeling like a BOSS) thank you thank you. haha

Proud of you for hanging in with the syncs Gabeinstyle, our Massachusetts man!

Very rarely do I ever get a compliment. But I got two (1 from coworker, 1from stranger who had to pass close by me in a crowded aisle) on YSL In Love Again Jasmin Etoile. So that's what I'll wear today.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Thank goodness you’re back Frou Frou! Who else is going to explain about toy saddles and plastic manes? We were perplexed.

A guest was staying the other day and she commented that my kids were incredibly tolerant of such behaviour. They do not know it isn't normal because it is in this house!!.
    Lol! Perfectly normal behavior if you ask me.

I like Ineespenes’ suggestion of the four seasons.

My husband almost never compliments me on fragrances, he dislikes most of them. I’m wearing Azurée today, but I’m still in synch because many Basenoters like this fragrance, you are my Basenotes family.

So many great stories for this sync! Jujy, your story is beautiful! Love hearing about your brood too, Mumsy. Still can't get over Lilybelle's mom! My kind of diva!

Thank you, BellaRose! "Overly scented" is the polite phrase for what my family gatherings are like! Are you enjoying your Rose Kashmirie today?

Went with Burberry for women for the day, one of my sister in law's favorites. Tonight will be one the husband has actually complimented- No.5 EDP. I don't think he even recognizes the other concentrations when I wear them. To him, EDP is No.5. I tend to agree with him but I don't tell him that we're in the minority (by far!) on that. I figure, why burst his bubble?
    The nose wants what it wants!
    Currently wearing: Lavandula by Penhaligon's

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    My mother is a bit of a diva in her attitudes.
    Haha! So is mine! If I were to replicate my mother from my early memories, I would wear Chanel No. 5 parfum (because when she and my father were married, this is practically all she would wear). But I did not. Instead I chose what my husband bought me for Mother's Day last year~ Escale a Portofino by Dior. It was so nice with the crisp Spring day.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay
    Currently wearing: Hanae by Hanae Mori

Blog Entries

Oh, these are such great lovely stories. All.

Feel super bad that I was out of sync Friday -- but I grabbed and wore Onda EDP which is neither a family favorite, nor a compliment getter (because I do not wear it a lot), but I did confirm that it smells a bit weird, esp. in the top notes, but I do like it a good deal.

I better get on the roll with the next one!

Guerlain is the most represented house in my collection thus my problem will sooner be "too much choice" than anything else. I'll either wear Terracotta Voile d'Ete, Heritage or Jicky from bottles or be more adventureous and put on something I know less well from one of my samples. No idea yet...

I am in the same boat as bonsai too many Guerlains, is there such a thing? LOL

Okay 180 Ans.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

OK confession time. I am really short on choices today. I can admire many Guerlains, but I don't actually like them. I have Shalimar. I wore it for a previous synch and I really don't like it.....on me. I have some some Samsara, nah. If I was in town today I would skwooosh some Habit Rouge or Mouchoir de Monsieur happily but I am not in town today. So, it will have to be Shalimar Parfum Initial. I am sure the purists won't approve, but I really like it.

I have a few Guerlains. Almost went with Mitsouko, and then saw Jicky in the collection and my mind was made up. I admire this fragrance rather than love it - sometimes it smells divine on me, other times I can't get past the fecal note. I don't know if it's my mood, hormones, the weather or what. I guess it's changeability at least makes it interesting. Bravo Guerlain!

Had intentions of throwing you all off with some Mitsouko or Sous le Vent today. Honestly. But then I got up and it was just so darned cold this morning; gotta have my Shalimar. So here I am, my old predictable self, thinking of the lovely Rtamara and wishing she were here to Shalimar with me.
    The nose wants what it wants!
    Currently wearing: Lavandula by Penhaligon's

good morning everybody. today is a perfect day for Vetiver. it's not hot, but it's not too cold, but yet it's sunny. i hope that all of you have a great day. you all smell wonderful!!!

Hey y'all -

I'm in Chamade, vintage-70s parfum de toilette. I'm not the best Guerli-girl either - I like and own (or once owned) several of the older classics including L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Chant d'Aromes and Sous le Vent (so sorry to all the fans, but I have some bad associations with Jicky and Shalimar that I've never been able to shake) but my favorites are the newer offerings, starting with Chamade, L'Instant of course, and Iris Ganache. I like Samsara and Insolence a lot, too, as well as some of the Aqua Allegorias, and just find them so much more wearable than many of their venerated ancestors. At any rate, Chamade it is this morning - just perfect for this glorious spring day!

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Oh, such a lovely sync today: Shalimar--layered vintage extrait up to modern spritzes.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Not in synch today as I couldn't resist wearing the A La Nuit from the rehoming thread.

Will synch this evening but not sure what with yet. Can choose from Mitzi, Shalimar, Jicky, L'Heure Bleue or Meteorites or I could use the last of my L'Instant sample. Choices choices

Insolence edt…my latest addiction, raspberries & violets (and yes that weird hairspray impression, too, which I am loving), and a very sweet long lasting Guerlain drydown. Alicka sent me her bottle from the “Free to a Good Home” thread, and I am giving it LOTS of love. ♥

Blog Entries

I have decided to get out my prized Djedi. I am somewhat overwhelmed by this one. Do any of you know it? Basically it is warm, enveloping vetiver. It has a dusty, cement-like undertone which verges on the animalic. It's the animalic note that I struggle with. Sometimes it hits me just right, but sometimes it becomes a little heavy. I am beginning to notice some rose in there, maybe that adds to a cloying sensation. It's not altogether unpleasant but it kind of makes you feel like you're being smothered with a velvet sofa cushion soaked in vetiver.
    Currently wearing: Aperçu by Houbigant

Kumquat-Thank you for sharing your impressions of one of the rarest Guerlains! A velvet cushion soaked in vetiver- so luxurious!
    We are experiencing a rare thunderstorm - I craved the spicy yet comforting Cologne du 68
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I have decided to get out my prized Djedi. I am somewhat overwhelmed by this one. Do any of you know it? Basically it is warm, enveloping vetiver. It has a dusty, cement-like undertone which verges on the animalic. It's the animalic note that I struggle with. Sometimes it hits me just right, but sometimes it becomes a little heavy. I am beginning to notice some rose in there, maybe that adds to a cloying sensation. It's not altogether unpleasant but it kind of makes you feel like you're being smothered with a velvet sofa cushion soaked in vetiver.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

I put on Heritage EDT today - I have had the bottle for a while now but somehow never gotten around to wearing it. So today was the day. I am a bit disappointed though, I'd like more tobacco and more of the animalic notes of Jicky. It was also quite weak in spite of lots of generous spritzes. Basically I want Heritage to be Jicky with tobacco added. Maybe I should seek out the EDP and see it that fits the bill better.

Wow, Kumquat. No, I don’t know Djedi. Sounds very romantic. That’s what I love about the Guerlains – even this Insolence edt I’m wearing today – they always conjure up vivid visual imagery and make you feel sooo romantic, decadent, and a little dirty.

Blog Entries

I am with you all, friends, even though I cannot smell myself, almost not at all. I have Chant d'Aromes on for the sync and curse my cold! But the sync spirit is up and I am smiling! Good to be here with y'all.

PerfumedLady, love that your nose still gets what it wants. <3
    Foustie, we approve. I went through a tube of Shalimar Parfum Initial hand cream (btw, was a gift with my Chant d'Aromes purchase).

I wore Chamade edp. Wore it all week. Wearing it today. Birthday present.

Yummy Ratfink.

I was in synch, for a brief period, in Terracotta from a sample I got from the NOLA meetup, but I didn't like it very much, so had to scrub it and replaced it with ''Organza'' by Givanchy, because I thought it was a Guerlain. Yes I know, but I was still suffering from jetlag.
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I was in synch, for a brief period, in Terracotta from a sample I got from the NOLA meetup, but I didn't like it very much, so had to scrub it and replaced it with ''Organza'' by Givanchy, because I thought it was a Guerlain. Yes I know, but I was still suffering from jetlag.
    Hi FrouFrou, which Terracotta were you trying? Voile d'Ete / Eau Sous le Vent / ...? T. Voile d'Ete is a big favourite of mine, one of the few fragrances I have backup bottles of.

bonsai, the sample just said 'terracotta''. I do think Guerlains are very elegant and sophisticated, but I like only a few of them. Maybe because I am absolutely allergic to Vanilla in a fragrance?
    I will have to try the different Terracottas then.
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    bonsai, the sample just said 'terracotta''. I do think Guerlains are very elegant and sophisticated, but I like only a few of them. Maybe because I am absolutely allergic to Vanilla in a fragrance?
    I will have to try the different Terracottas then.
    Voile d'Ete is a warm carnation while Eau sous le Vent is a light tropical floral fragrance. Most Guerlains do contain vanilla which might indeed explain that you don't like them in general.

Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast