Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    I like the artwork idea, too, with the art posted.

As a result of Arabian Nights sync Mr. W had fallen in love with Epic Woman -- he's completely smitten, had never been smitten like this with a perfume! Whoa, whoooo kneeeewwwwww?????
    Whew wheeew (wolf whistle!)

Some great ideas coming in; the paintings, such as the Mona Lisa, I can see descending into a right laugh given the Joie De Vivre of the posters here. The gourmand is a must have one, a very popular genre. For me, thinking about gourmand, I was about to say bleeeuch but then.......You see, this is the thing I have learned about the synch. It is a good way to shove yourself out of your comfort zone. For last weeks synch I wore a fragrance with Almond and Turkish Delight notes.....

Edit; "out of your comfort zone..." I should say except for Perfumed Lady coz she wears Shalimar EDP every week! Ha ha.
    Last edited by Foustie; 10th January 2012 at 12:46 PM.

Hello everyone and Bonsai in particular, I actually liked the idea of geographical fragrances, it is actually pretty wide in my opinion and of course many categories are subjective, I find it more restrictive when we synch houses but perhaphs I will have to prepare and go out and try to find something from the particular house that I like, which is a good way to widen our horizons so not complaining at all, I am sure that everyone will have their favorite synchs and perhaps a couple they do not like as much. So we are doing aldehydes this Friday, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by OVincze View Post
    I find it more restrictive when we synch houses but perhaphs I will have to prepare and go out and try to find something from the particular house that I like, which is a good way to widen our horizons so not complaining at all, I am sure that everyone will have their favorite synchs and perhaps a couple they do not like as much. So we are doing aldehydes this Friday, correct?
    Yes, aldehydes are next.

To me it's also primarily about "widening our horizons" as you said or getting "out of our comfort zones" as Foustie put it. I enjoy pulling out scents on Fridays which I otherwise would not wear (mostly because they are not in my usual rotation or because I am not sure yet if I really love them or I simply forgot I had them) - it almost always ends up as a great experience. Though I am dreading the "worst PINK juice" sync...

Oh, yeah, worsts will be interesting?)) we could do more worsts, that can be fun too. I am not sure I get it though what you mean by "worst pink juice", pink like pink smelling or pink as in pink colored juice?

I am not sure I get it though what you mean by "worst pink juice", pink like pink smelling or pink as in pink colored juice?
    Check out post #3 in this thread and search for "pink".

Oops, I recalled reading something somewhere, too much to follow, sorry that I am somewhat scattered minded today. ROFL, I SOOO love the description, now I have to search for something really disgusting, do you think that will widen our horizons? ))

Could we have a "bomb" sync. Sorry if it's on or been suggested mea culpe poor memory. Was thinking along the lines of BIG frags that make a STATEMENT! Giorgio, Angel, Byzance etc. Those love/hate once smelt never forgotten scents. I know any excuse to get my Poison, Opium, Cinnabar out

Blog Entries

LOL, no, I did not plan on giving the details!.. :rolleysold:

Looking forward to the aldehydes sync! I packed samples of SSS Champagne de Bois and Amouage Gold. I will try to get to wear them both!

Well, you smartypants gals neglected to remind me that aldehyde day was coming up when I shot my mouth off about being able to sync Shalimar every week! Nope, can't do it this week and that's o.k.- I love aldehydes, too! Still considering this week's scent. No.5 is my favorite but won't do that this time. I do have some lovelies from our dear W.'s wardrobe- a whopper of a wardrobe as far as aldehydes go!

This whole mess has got me to thinking- what with all the Shalimar reformulations and flankers, why hasn't Guerlain given us an airy, fluffy, aldehydic Shalimar? Could be wonderful, I think. Bonsai, just for you, I'll give you any crazy reasoning I can think of when Shalimar could be used for sync! I agree, Foustie- sync day is a great way to force ourselves out of our complacent little comfort zones. Goodness knows I need it!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Could we have a "bomb" sync. Sorry if it's on or been suggested mea culpe poor memory. Was thinking along the lines of BIG frags that make a STATEMENT! Giorgio, Angel, Byzance etc. Those love/hate once smelt never forgotten scents.
    Good idea, thank you! I've added it to the list. This will certainly be an "out of your comfort zone" sync for me. I have a sample of Angel I enjoy but I did not dear to give it a full wear yet - here's my chance!

Yeah, Clinique AE could qualify too in my opinion, anything with grand sillage)) Bomb is a great idea.

If you want an aldehyde day... try Chanel 22 instead of no 5. Yummy

Oh, yes ma'am, Mumsy! No.22 is one the scents I'm considering for Fri. Have a decant, been enjoying it very much, esp. in the cold weather. It is yummy!

now I have to search for something really disgusting, do you think that will widen our horizons? ))
    What if we end up secretly liking it? eeeek

Bonsai and everybody else: how about a synch day centered around Tdem's scentiment on yesterday's SotD thread "Why don't I wear it more often?" -- it will give everybody a perfect opportunity to dive in and explore our own Wardrobes better.

tomorrow I'll likely wear Chanel no. 22 for my daytime scent and perhaps break out the Joy vintage parfum thanks to a dear basenoter, you know who you are
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

Tomorrow I have even more choices than I thought I did -- I have Baghari too, in addition to Champagne de Bois (sample courtesy of Kiliwia) and Gold. We'll see

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Bonsai and everybody else: how about a synch day centered around Tdem's scentiment on yesterday's SotD thread "Why don't I wear it more often?" -- it will give everybody a perfect opportunity to dive in and explore our own Wardrobes better.
    Love! This is a great idea!
    Love the bomb too.

PerfumedLady,

Thanks for the idea. We already have "A buried/forgotten treasure" in the list which is about the same. But maybe it does not hurt to repeat it under the name you proposed. Most probably we all have enough scents we neglect (but which would deserve to be worn more often) - it would be fun to pull those out again.

I have chosen LouLou for today's sync. It's certainly one I should be wearing more often, it's beautiful.

I chose Chanel No. 5. i love this perfume.

Good afternoon all. I am scent quadruplets (at least) I think in Chanel No. 5. How fantastic to see our gabeinstyle wearing it! I would love to see how it wears on a man.

A confession; I don't know a great deal about aldehydes. I know the well known bits, but as a component I have no great experience. I could comment on lots of materials but aldehydes don't feature largely in my little repertoire. So, lots to be learned today.

I chose Chanel No.5 for good reason. I admire it greatly. It is glamour realised. BUT.. if I tell you that I have had my bottle of EDP for about twelve years you will understand that I don't wear it often! I don't know if I ENJOY wearing it any more you see. So, I have been testing other stuff this morning. I am just about to get showered and dressed for work (a long late shift!), so here goes!

Decided against No.22, after all- will leave that to Rtamara! Chose Lancome's Climat instead, another treat from Warum. Someday, W., I will wrap you up in a big hug for sending me both scents!

Climat is so airy and green, it's a wonderful contrast to the snowy, icy, grey day we're having. Per Fragrantica, notes are: (top) violet, peach, jasmine, l-o-v, bergamot, rose and narcissus, (middle) rosemary & tuberose (which I can't detect, tuberose is a fun- ruiner for me when I can) and the F-site claims the aldehydes are a middle note here; think they probably belong in the top notes list. I find that site rather goofy, don't use it unless I can't find other info. And the lovely base is made up of sandalwood, tonka bean, vetiver, bamboo, amber, civet & musk.

Wore this in my younger days; was introduced when my mother passed her full bottle to me. She was strictly a floral aldehyde gal but I guess Climat didn't do it for her. Think she really just wanted her White Shoulders. Anyway, as a teen, I loved it in summer. Thought it felt sporty and casual but pulled together. This newer version, while not as loud as I remember, still feels the same to me. I could wear this anywhere. And what a joy it is in the cold weather!

Clinique Wrappings, I do not often wear anything aldehydic but a cool category I think. I love how unique Wrappings is and love the green, piney notes in it counterbalanced by the beautiful florals and a bit of marine notes in the base. Very strange weather here, hail at least three times today, starting out warm and mild but getting really cold and very windy now, perhaps weather for Wrappings in my opinion.

I'll do 22 then. I adore this....I have a little sample bottle. I would never have thought of trying it had it not been for basenotes. I didn't even know what aldehydes were before BN....

Didn't make the sync today....been one heckuva day having to go from meeting to meeting prior to my break but in The spirit of it I found a bottle of No 5 dating back to when we moved to this house in 1992! EDT and I'm delighted to say it's in perfect nick and not that different to today's EDT... Either my nose is wrong today or any reformulations have been tres sympathetic

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Good afternoon all. I am scent quadruplets (at least) I think in Chanel No. 5. How fantastic to see our gabeinstyle wearing it! I would love to see how it wears on a man.

A confession; I don't know a great deal about aldehydes. I know the well known bits, but as a component I have no great experience. I could comment on lots of materials but aldehydes don't feature largely in my little repertoire. So, lots to be learned today.

I chose Chanel No.5 for good reason. I admire it greatly. It is glamour realised. BUT.. if I tell you that I have had my bottle of EDP for about twelve years you will understand that I don't wear it often! I don't know if I ENJOY wearing it any more you see. So, I have been testing other stuff this morning. I am just about to get showered and dressed for work (a long late shift!), so here goes!
    in my opinion it smells great on a man. Chanel No. 5 was actually the first Women's Perfume that i purchased for myself. i love the strength of it's scent, and after testing it out before buying it, i was very excited how it lasted on me for 8+ hours. I applied it today at 8:30am, and I can smell it on myself now.

I'm wearing Van Cleef & Arpels First edt for aldehydic Scent Synch this evening. I love this one.

Blog Entries

My favorite sync!
    Since I was (and still am) traveling, I decided to take some samples to give them a Yay or Nay. By now I wore Baghari, and it's a yay, and Champagne de Bois which in the end is a nay for me. But now I am really ready to take a shower and then shower myself in the aldehyde SOTE!!

Joining warum in a scent switch- will be bathing and layering all sorts of No.5. The day wouldn't be complete without it!

Forgot the sync yesterday so I'm sporting Mitsouko today. I have a love-hate relationship with this one. It may be a tad too old school for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Joining warum in a scent switch- will be bathing and layering all sorts of No.5. The day wouldn't be complete without it!
    Yep, I did the same. I made it home, made a bee line for a shower and went for #5 shower gel, body lotion and EDP. Ahhhh!..
    And yes, so true about the hug

I will look up notes for Climat, I know I have them in the box. Will type them up later.

It seems I'm on a "Shalimar traject" this week, yesterday having worn Angelique Encens and today Shalimar Parfum Initial (and received a compliment from a male colleague - yay!). I'm curious to which scent my mood will lead me tomorrow.

Looking forward to our big Shalimar day! Fortunately the winter has arrived so it will be a perfect match for Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    I will look up notes for Climat, I know I have them in the box. Will type them up later.
    I'd love that, Warum! I've never actually seen an "official" notes list for Climat. Not a lot of info out there on it and it did always seem to be one of those scents that flew in under the radar. It's garnered me plenty of "You smell nice" comments but never has someone said, "Oh, is that Climat?" IMO, it's a fragrance every aldehyde lover should sample. Just love it!

Anyone care to guess what I'll be wearing this Friday, lol?!

I have a problem for the next synch, one of the few notes I cannot stand in a perfume are vanilla....
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

i love shalimar!!!!!! 2 more days!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I have a problem for the next synch, one of the few notes I cannot stand in a perfume are vanilla....
    Have you tried Mona di Orio's Vanille and Diptyque Eau Duelle yet? They might be digestable for "anti-vanilla" people as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gabeinstyle View Post
    i love shalimar!!!!!! 2 more days!!!
    Just one more day! Yay!

It's strange to think back that when I tried it for the very first time I found it way too sweet and did not get any of the wonderful bergamote opening nor the smokiness, only overly sweet vanilla. And how I love it and admire it now! Lucky me...

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    Just one more day! Yay!

It's strange to think back that when I tried it for the very first time I found it way too sweet and did not get any of the wonderful bergamote opening nor the smokiness, only overly sweet vanilla. And how I love it and admire it now! Lucky me...
    yes yes!!!! one more day!!!!

OK I am going to join you! I have a confession to make. I don't particularly like Shalimar! Yikes. There I have said it! But I do have some. Probably from around five years ago. So it is the original Shalimar in current form. I have never tried vintage. Anyway. I will wear it for the synch and I will see how it goes. You never know. Stranger things have happened on the Friday synch.....

..and if it doesn't work for me I will be delighted to change into Shalimar Parfum Initial later on.

Foustie, you're not alone. Many people don't like Shalimar. The alternative is your favorite vanilla.

It will be Allure Chanel edt for tomorrow
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Basenotes Plus

Tomorrow I'll be going with Shalimar Ode a la Vanille from a decant. I was really impressed with this one last year.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Foustie, you're not alone. Many people don't like Shalimar. The alternative is your favorite vanilla.
    Thats OK, I am up for it!

All in just one scent, wooh, that hasn't actually happened that often, not since the very, very beginning when we used to have a job finding enough people with the same frags. I love the feeling when you absolutely know there are other people smelling exactly like yourself...... on purpose! Do you think we will alter the smell of the ozone layer to slightly more like shalimar tomorrow? Does anyone know how the poll things work to see if we can ascertain how many shalimar scented people were walking around?

The synchronized Fridays are so much fun! I too find the idea that all over the world we are wearing something which is connecting us all is enchanting.
    Yesterday I wore Kuskus, and I do get a vanilla note there, so that's what I will wear tomorrow.
    Today I am swooning in Soir de Lune, I suppose there's no vanilla in that?
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I'll be going with Shalimar. Detested it on first sniff (ugh - vomit!). But there must have been something in it that caught my attention because I kept going back. Eventually I was happy to take it on its own terms and accept it was like nothing else I had sniffed - unsettling, yes, but also beautiful. Glad I stuck with it. It will be a pleasure to give it some air tomorrow.

I love the comfort and feeling of unity sync day gives me, too. It's just really cool knowing that our scents have something in common one day a week; love it when a whole bunch of us are in a single scent.

Yes, I'll bet the whole world will reek of Shalimar tomorrow! And I can't wait to hear about some other vanillas, too. Shalimar is not the only one; can certainly understand why it doesn't appeal to everyone.

Basenotes Plus

Foustie, I have outed myself on the forum for not liking Shalimar long ago and I did not experience mass rejection from the adoring fans. (I am such a G-girl otherwise).
    BUT I do like Shalimar Eau Legere, so perhaps I will wear that Friday. I have an early business meeting so maybe later in the day.

OK I am going to join you! I have a confession to make. I don't particularly like Shalimar! Yikes. There I have said it! But I do have some. Probably from around five years ago. So it is the original Shalimar in current form. I have never tried vintage. Anyway. I will wear it for the synch and I will see how it goes. You never know. Stranger things have happened on the Friday synch.....

..and if it doesn't work for me I will be delighted to change into Shalimar Parfum Initial later on.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 20th January 2012 at 11:45 AM.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Ah Shalimar the very first Guerlain I ever bought way back in the early 1980s.
    I am wearing a special bottle, its from the 1990s and I was attending an event with Roja Dove. There was a prize draw and I won the Shalimar set, a 75ml dab bottle of Shalimar and bottle lotion. For some reason it has a different vibe for me to normal Shalimar, I do own a spray edp from the same era. I also own the parfum from the 1980s.
    DONNA

Thanks for the solidarity lillybelle and knit!

OK. So Shalimar today, and oh no, I really don't like it, and I don't suit it. I smell like someone else. I am all discombobulated.

I hope that everyone who does enjoy it has a wonderfully fragrant day!

PS, I like the more contempoary Bergamot/Iris/Vanilla of Shalimar Parfum Initial.

OK. So Shalimar today, and oh no, I really don't like it, and I don't suit it. I smell like someone else. I am all discombobulated.

PS, I like the more contempoary Bergamot/Iris/Vanilla of Shalimar Parfum Initial.
    I was looking forward to hearing about your Shalimar experience. I'm sorry you don't like it, but I can understand that it's not for everyone (I hated it when I tried it for the first time), aside from its beauty it does have an unsettling quality as well.

Parfum Initial is beautiful. In contrary to you, to me it's much more about amber than vanilla. It's one of the only two fragrances which have ever garnered me a compliment at work (the other one being Coromandel). I own a decant at the moment and I am planning on buying a bottle sometime.

Btw, I am wearing Shalimar EDP, moder version today. It's a stressful day and Shalimar does provide me a protective shell.

At the moment I have two Shalimars here, neither is worth writing home about, so the choice is simple for me -- and it happens to be my favorite line of the year 2011 -- Evangeline's preferred version of Shalimar: vintage Coty Emeraude.

I have been lookiing at this gorgeous presentation though: http://www.parfum1.com/shalimar-four...?itm=SHALDES16

Any idea what it smells like?

the crazy thing is that I adore Shalimar and feel really happy in it, but did not want to wear it today because I have been wearing it alot this week. Yesterday I wore Bois de Violette and am inclined to stay in the woods with the violets, so to speak.
    However, in the interest of synch...(I love how mumsy described it ) I am happily, if with some hesitation, in Shalimar vintage extrait, supplemented with two sprays of Shalimar edp (the one in the Jagger bottle). This edp version, purchased from Sephora's, is the version that made Shalimar my go to scent. The edt version I had previously tried to love just wasn't working for me.
    If I had to scale my wardrobe down to three scents, Shalimar would be one of them. The extrait yields more of the smokey incense along the way, and the longlasting drydown is straight up vanilla with a dusting of powder. Soft, warm, spicy and yummy. The edp is beautiful, not quite as smokey, but always garners a compliment or two, which is nice. A timeless classic. Though Shalimar always makes me feel sexy and womanly - I absolutely think this beauty has a balance of yin and yang (smoky and sweet) that makes it just as good on a man.
    TGIF.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Plus

That is a fine looking bottle indeed, Twolf

At the moment I have two Shalimars here, neither is worth writing home about, so the choice is simple for me -- and it happens to be my favorite line of the year 2011 -- Evangeline's preferred version of Shalimar: vintage Coty Emeraude.

I have been lookiing at this gorgeous presentation though: http://www.parfum1.com/shalimar-four...?itm=SHALDES16

Any idea what it smells like?
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Whiffingly Shalimarred... and I don't normally wear this either. It goes a bit old lady/powdery on me, and that's a bit too near the truth for my liking. This is a wonderful day with so many in the very same thing (or similar). I can't believe this synch will have been going for two years this June? It always makes me sooooooo happy.

Shalimar EDP today, of course.

I thought the black lacy garter belt looking bottle was just the X-mas presentation. I see it has a different name on the site, though. No idea what it smells like, didn't buy or even sniff it. Don't care for lace or the new formulation in the Jagger bottle. Surely someone knows more.

Like Donna, I've been with Shalimar since the 80's. My first love PDT is long gone and the batwing took a lot of adjusting to for me. Learned to love it finally but recently, Guerlain has lost me; Chanel has stolen me from them. I just can't find my sharp bergamot or my smoky vanilla in that new, pretty bottle. Will always have my Shalimar, though- I'm backed up to my eyeballs with batwing bottles!

And no, there will be no lashings for those who just can't like Shalimar! There is plenty of perfume to go around and I love hearing from you all about fragrances that aren't Shalimar.

I haven't Shalimar'ed yet. I have a choice of three formulations, a decant of Eau Légère, a decant of Ode à la Vanille, and a bottle of Shalimar eau de cologne, which is my favorite formulation other than the vintage extrait, which I don't own alas. I wore ithe edc one day last week for the first time in ages, and I wondered why I had stayed away for so long. It is long lasting but light, and it has the smoke and leather of classic Shalimar that some of the more recent lighter formulations don't. So I'll probably go with that one. But not until I get back from the gym.

good day to all and happy Shalimar Friday!!!! i keep smelling myself. i love it!!! i hope that all of you have a good day.

I went with Shalimar Eau Légère. It's lovely, the loveliest updated Shalimar imo, which of course means they had to discontinue it. The heavy powder and smoke and incense are gone, or rather what is there is very sheer, and it is just a beautiful composition.

In synch with Kuskus, which definitely has a vanilla note.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com