Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2012

Quote Originally Posted by gabeinstyle View Post
    good evening everybody. i need help for tomorrow. i don't have a clue what i'm gonna be able to wear for the sync. any suggestions please? will check back in the morning. thanks and have a good night
    Hi gabey, me too. I don't know what "ornery" means"! Ha ha! Would one of our American friends help me out please? I won't pick until you do......

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Hi gabey, me too. I don't know what "ornery" means"! Ha ha! Would one of our American friends help me out please? I won't pick until you do......
    Any oriental would do. The sync's name was a play on words by Duc, I took it over unaltered from the previous year's sync list. I don't think we should take "ornery" seriously.

My first thought was Shalimar as well but then I saw my nearly empty decant of Histoire d'Eau (a nice spicy amber) and went for that instead. I don't love it as much as I used to though.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    Any oriental would do. The sync's name was a play on words by Duc, I took it over unaltered from the previous year's sync list. I don't think we should take "ornery" seriously.

My first thought was Shalimar as well but then I saw my nearly empty decant of Histoire d'Eau (a nice spicy amber) and went for that instead. I don't love it as much as I used to though.
    Thanks bonsai. I actually thought that "ornery" maybe meant "plain" which didn't seem right somehow. One of the girls will explain when they arrive later. Oh, this one is quite difficult for me, but that is OK! This is not my best genre. Ehm, I have some Shalimar but I am not fond. I don't think that Shalimar Parfum Initial fits the bill. I have some others but I am not in the right mooooood.

Oh I know, actually YIPEE. I have a sample of Caron Parfum Sacre, perfect!

You see, "The Friday synch makes you think".
    Last edited by Foustie; 2nd March 2012 at 10:57 PM.

PS I wonder what PerfumedLady is going to wear. This could provide her with a rare opprortunity to get her Shalimar out!

I'll have to go for an ornery opulent oriental later in the day. It's a little too early for me for that yet.

PS I wonder what PerfumedLady is going to wear. This could provide her with a rare opprortunity to get her Shalimar out!
    LOL! Yes, I had almost forgotten what this smells like!

There's a saying about Shalimar- "A lady doesn't smoke, dance the tango or wear Shalimar". Being ornery means being a little naughty. So you see, I am ornery by choosing to wear what a lady would not! Rtamara, are you un-ladylike today, too?

If you look up ornery in the dictionary there is a picture of a clown with a big red nose, says "Foustie" right next to it!

Today is going to be a good one; can tell already!
    The nose wants what it wants!

although i love love love shalimar, i'll be wearing Bal a Versailles today. it's been a while since i wore it. happy sync everybody

Basenotes Institution

Ok, up early, no scent yet and now I read all this talk of Shalimar - I will get out my sexy Shalimar.............
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm in sync in the remarkably beautiful, softly spicy floriental 8e Jour by Yves Rocher. This is an all-season oriental, and it's actually wonderful in warm weather! Although I do think it's quite opulent and includes some rather dense sorts of notes, it's somehow sheer enough to never be too rich, and it would never dream of being cloying.

I can't find any info about the perfumer, but 8e Jour was released in 1993 and has notes of iris, ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine, honey, myrrh, vanilla, cinnamon and sandalwood ...and artistry. I really think this is a little masterpiece. ♥

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post

There's a saying about Shalimar- "A lady doesn't smoke, dance the tango or wear Shalimar". Being ornery means being a little naughty. So you see, I am ornery by choosing to wear what a lady would not! Rtamara, are you un-ladylike today, too?

If you look up ornery in the dictionary there is a picture of a clown with a big red nose, says "Foustie" right next to it!

Oh, so that is what it means! I thought that an "ornery" girl was kind of homely but au contraire....

....and actually my avatar is a visual abstraction representing the idea of an ofactory driven existence..........

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I'm in sync in the remarkably beautiful, softly spicy floriental 8e Jour by Yves Rocher. This is an all-season oriental, and it's actually wonderful in warm weather! Although I do think it's quite opulent and includes some rather dense sorts of notes, it's somehow sheer enough to never be too rich, and it would never dream of being cloying.

I can't find any info about the perfumer, but 8e Jour was released in 1993 and has notes of iris, ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine, honey, myrrh, vanilla, cinnamon and sandalwood ...and artistry. I really think this is a little masterpiece. ♥

Evangeline, that sounds really lovely.

....and actually my avatar is a visual abstraction representing the idea of an ofactory driven existence..........
    And a lovely abstraction it is! Of course you aren't really the definition of ornery; you're too sweet and kind for that!

Yes, Evangeline, 8e Jour sounds very special!

Mimi, you go on with your sexy self in your Shalimar!

you know me so well, Perfumed Lady! Even hubby said "Its Shalimar today or nothing at all!" Yes a good day for all - everyone smells so goooooooooooood! I confess that one of my favorite synchs is when we all Shalimar together
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I love it.... mine is my daughters visual representation of my physical existance! What that says about my vision... I don't know!

And a lovely abstraction it is! Of course you aren't really the definition of ornery; you're too sweet and kind for that!
    Oh I've been ornery, believe me. Unfortunately I am getting a bit past it now.....

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    i love it.... Mine is my daughters visual representation of my physical existance! What that says about my vision... I don't know!
    lol!

I have a vision of earth from space with little clouds of wonderful Shalimar showing up as fragrance time hits each time zone

I'm now daubed in various sandalwood oils. I think it still counts as opulent and possibly oriental. I have a bit of mitti on too, that can be the oriental. Maybe I need spice. Saffron... (back she goes into the oil cupboard)

I am loving reading this thread...grinning ear to ear!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Plus

Foustie- You are an absolute HOOT!!! Your American cousin here will venture to explain, it means:
    stubborn i.e. You are watching an old B&W western scene where John Wayne asks Slim Pickens what is holding up the wagon train. he answers "This 'ole ornery mule won't budge"

That's the most common vernacular use I think LOL
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Your American cousin here will venture to explain, it means:
    stubborn i.e. You are watching an old B&W western scene where John Wayne asks Slim Pickens what is holding up the wagon train. he answers "This 'ole ornery mule won't budge"
    Yup. Ah've been that too! Ha Haaaaa!

Oh, honestly! I have had a couple of glasses of good red at dinner and it is about the witching hour here. His nibs is away to bed so I thought that I would just check in. Now I have laughed so much that I have given myself a hot flush. "Flash" in American! Oh Knit, these threads are getting out of control!

Basenotes Plus

Sweet dreams Foustie
    A Scent Rescuer

In addition to stubborn, "ornery" also means cranky and contrary. I doubt we've seen your truly ornery side yet, foustie ...but I'd bet it's interesting!

I'm in Coco for the evening. This is my favorite, the one, the opulent oriental, the bee's knees, the shizzle. I adore it, I was married in it, I need it. Y'all have a fantastic evening! XOXO

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Yup. Ah've been that too! Ha Haaaaa!

Oh, honestly! I have had a couple of glasses of good red at dinner and it is about the witching hour here. His nibs is away to bed so I thought that I would just check in. Now I have laughed so much that I have given myself a hot flush. "Flash" in American! Oh Knit, these threads are getting out of control!
    oohh, Foustie, and Knit, I had a couple of good reds, too, you know, you need it for cooking up a good broth for dinner..let me join you dears xoxo

Opulent oriental floral?

24, Faubourg EDP!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

opulent,ornary,oriental ...Oro,by Roberto Cavalli.

I saw the thread scent of the day Friday and thought"Oh No ! I forgot to sync AGAIN! "Then I looked to see what today's sync was and it turns out -I had inadvertantly syncronized with Oro.
    Fragrance Omnivore

I wore Aqaba for my opulent ornery oriental. It's opulent, but not ornery - at least it behaves very well for me. It is so lovely it transports me. Many orientals tend to wear me but this one wraps itself around me like a very cozy - but plush - wrap.

Basenotes Plus

wait a sec, Foustie and rtamara---- I didna have any reds at all. I would have been even naughtier if I had imbibed....
    A Scent Rescuer

Ah, Poison day again tomorrow. Maybe I will try Hypnotic Poison once more, but most likely I'll chicken out and wear Dior Homme

Ooooo.... Dior Day.... More choices choice,Poison? Esprit de Parfum? Vintage 80s EDT? 90s EDT? Contemporary? Or Hypnotic?
    Could this be the day to take the 80s Miss Dior out for a spin? Or the 80s Dioressence found when "mucking out" my cupboards. Diorella? Would have to be contemporary as the vintage is still in the post. Dune? One of my favourites. Diorissimo? Could give the vintage sample sent by a kind BN friend out for a full wearing. Then there's the J'Adore Absolute sample.

HELP! need to put this to the vote

Dior.... I don't know either....
    so vintage Miss Dior or new Miss Dior, vintage Diorissimo, Dune, Coloressence energisant or a Farenheit and I have a tiny half sample vial of Diorling.

Oh, wow, so tomorrow is Dior day? I must do this then, I will do vintage Diorissimo. I wish the weather was a bit warmer but regardless I do love my vintage Diorissimo so much... what fun!

I have a few Diors but tomorrow will be a good excuse to wear Hypnotic Poison Elixir - not that I really need an excuse...

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the invite. Vintage Fahrenheit for me.

Dior.... I don't know either....
    so vintage Miss Dior or new Miss Dior, vintage Diorissimo, Dune, Coloressence energisant or a Farenheit and I have a tiny half sample vial of Diorling.
    Did you see the vintage 30ml Diorama extrait on the bay which went for over 500 quid? Would like to try that! The juice was the colour of whisky

Dune and Dolce Vita.
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Oh I really crave vintage Poison for tomorrow! But I have a long day of talks (enclosed spaces) and performances (respect for cast members essential)... I've been very into my Dune lately too, so maybe it'll be that lady of sand and skank for me again

Have fun all, and happy Dior Friday!!!
    I'll always make time for cats and roses

My great loves:
    Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Caron Pour un Homme, Dune, Fat Electrician, Oxford and Cambridge, Eau de Campagne, Elixir des Merveilles, Sarrasins, MKK, Ambre Sultan, Tocade, Dzing!

Current obsessions:
    Le Temps d'Une Fête, Tom of Finland, Jasmin et Cigarette, Dirty (not dirty at all )

"Perfume is an invisible art form, and yet one of the most evocative and personal."

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Ah, Poison day again tomorrow. Maybe I will try Hypnotic Poison once more, but most likely I'll chicken out and wear Dior Homme
    Funny, these were my exact thoughts before this sync. Though I knew it quite well in advance that I AM going to chicken out on Hypnotic Poison. I wanted to smell my Dior Homme sample yesterday evening and guess what - it broke between my fingers! So I ended up wearing Escale a Portofino from a sample - I still don't like it, it's a fairly boring citrus with an artificial edge. Should have gone for Diorella.

Vintage Miss Dior to celebrate my fortunate fnding of this beauty

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Aw, come on! You too Bonsai. I will enjoy having an excuse to wear Hypnotic Poison. This was one of my Friday synch surprises. I had been given a wee mini but I wasn't really of a mind to wear it, then I dug it out for the previous Poison synch, and I discovered that it is gorgeous, almondy woody, with great longevity and a lovely trail.

good morning all. hypnotic poison is my all time favorite out of all from the poison line. although i don't have any. so i figured since it's Dior i'll be wearing my Fahrenheit 32 today.

I don't have any Poisons (except the internal liver medicine kind). I tried the ordinary Poison donkeys years ago in about 1980 before i knew much about perfume and remembering it smelling just like poison on me so have never smelled it again. From the murky depths, it may have had a black bottle and a purple box. I may have to have a sniff again and see next time I come upon any.

I think I'm going to Dune it. Have a happy Dior everyone.

Hey y'all -

I have a few Poisons, but I've got to be in the right mood for them. I'm in vintage-60s Miss Dior edt instead - this is less moody.

Eau Sauvage for me this morning. I don't have any Poisons except for a decant of Midnight Poison, and that one isn't for me.

I don't have any Poisons (except the internal liver medicine kind).
    Well, we're both in synch then.

No Poison here, either. Already sent off the MP sample I used last time we had Poison day. Only Dior in the house is Mr.PL's Fahrenheit, which I like to wear occasionally but isn't calling me today. If I could choose any Dior, it would be Diorella. Need to grab some one of these days.

So, I'm out of sync for the first time this year. What a bummer! Party on without me, gang!

Blog Entries

I am staying green with Dioressence. I am just not a Poison person. I can't take the intense sugar high there. Luckily, I have an old atomizer from the 70's, I think. It has an intense oakmoss/ambergris base that is to die for. Hurray for chloro-flouro carbons!

For me, it has to be Miss Dior. This is much like my beloved Vol de Nuit. (Not in the mood for the very gourmand Addict.)

I am peeved at Dior renaming this.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Now in Eau de Poison decant made up for a BN friend. Spilt a drop of the Esprit on the butchers block table... Wow the house smells fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    For me, it has to be Miss Dior... I am peeved at Dior renaming this.
    Ditto! Also wearing this today for sentimental reasons.

Basenotes Plus

I have a Poisonless collection. I think I've posted before that I still have an aversion to original Poson it because all the local rich be-atches overwore this in its heydey. C'est la vie. The genius of the Dior line is that there is something for everyone.

Diorissimo vintage EDT it is!
    A Scent Rescuer

queen of the universe

Just in time! As in late afternoon mail held an ebay purchase whose seller was merciful quick in sending. I am no longer a Dior virgin, and what did I lose it to?—none other than vintage Miss Dior EDT. Cumin-soaked skank, by all means; this is Miss Balmain with a few drinks in her. Marvelous.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

jujy - you get cumin in Miss Dior?? Egads - that's the ultimate kiss of death for me. I thought I'd be able to catch it no matter how well-hidden it is, so I suppose I should feel relieved I've never detected it. I'd have to give it away!

Scent from another Bner's wardrobe tomorrow. Since you're directly before me in this thread Evangeline I'm going with you. Will choose one of your 5* frags - perhaps Dune or Angel Liqueur de Parfum. Dune has the edge I think, haven't worn that for a long while.

OK devicat. I will "do" you then! Actually I thought that it would be a fragrance actually from another basenoters wardrobe, you know, decanted from it ?! I had some options and ideas too, but I guess that we would have had to do a lot more planning with that though. Anyway, I am more than happy to be going with this way, and I am more thatn lucky to be after you devilcat because lets face it there is so much choice!! We do share a couple, so I am going to go with Tauers L'Air because I haven't worn it for a while.

See you tomorrow.

Hi Foustie, i shall join in the chain and have a rummage in yours.... do excuse me a moment... this won't hurt and i'll be very gentle.... hang on.......

I won't be long... it's nice in here....

Can I come to your house?

Not many crossovers, I can do Aromatics Elixir, Bvalgari Black, Coco, no 5, Shalimar and if I have the samples I may be able to do Tauer l'air du desert marocain but I may not have that one and be getting muddled with another, same with Mure et Musc extreme.

Thank you for the pleasure dear. It felt like being a cat burgler a bit.... stealing your niffs at night....
    Last edited by mumsy; 15th March 2012 at 11:16 PM.

Oooh! I get to raid mumsy! I know just what I'm looking for; remember a conversation with her about No.22 on aldehyde day. Does she have some for me?

She does! And now it's all mine for tomorrow!

queen of the universe

I wanted to use Twolf's wardrobe, having relied on her nose and power of description, but we have none in common amongst her current collection which is truly a "short list" in the best sense.
    [Note to self: Coriandre!] Seeing as other are using the wardrobe of preceding poster, I'm raiding Perfumed Lady, specifically Champs Elysées, perfect for the springy weather we're having in CLeveland.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

I have several in jujy's collection, so I shall "do" her wardrobe....Final decision on which scent tomorrow.
    A Scent Rescuer

I find this a fun sync! I had several scents from most of your collections, I have written them all down and then let my mood guide me this morning. The result: Violet Blonde from gabinstyle's wardrobe.

From Bonsais wardrobe I only have Bvlgari - Au thé Rouge. It will be well worth it trying it out again - I used to absolutely love this until I started exploring more niche scents and got bored with it. My husband adores it, though. He will be very happy. I wonder how it will strike me now...

EDIT: It is actually quite pleasant, although I would definitely see it as a "beginner's" scent. It is a little more interesting than your run-of-the-mill department store stuff, but it is definitely not a masterpiece or anything like that. It's a tad too sugery for me these days.
    Last edited by Klute; 16th March 2012 at 10:46 AM.