Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2012

Well, I had to rifle the samples and I had a few choices. I have gone with Chanel Gardenia. Oh! What a strange fragrance, and I have some strange fragrances! It begins with an unexpected Lavender, a nice Lavender, but your nose and your bonce are so confused that it takes a second try while thinking "what is that"? (You know how that goes). Then you realise that it is actually a very true, and strong, Lavender. Then there is a phase that smells like Barbie dolls with sweeties, then another phase that surprised me again because I am catching whiffs of a sort of rubbery vanilla which is quite reminiscent of Bulgari Black. Ooooooo. How odd. Worth much more than one star just for the ride. Weird.

Edit, 20:40pm. Well I was so bamboozled by my Lavender Gardenia that I tried it again. Still Lavender, then Eureka! the penny dropped, and I checked. It is a Jersey sample in a Gardenia sleeve. So , apologies, and welcome to a brief review of Jersey!
    Last edited by Foustie; 23rd March 2012 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I have a decant of Chanel Gardenia that Mimi Gardenia sent me a while back. Maybe I'll wear that. It doesn't smell like gardenia, but it's very pretty and it's the kind of thing I enjoy lately. I actually agree with many of their opinions, though not all. I love Champs Elysees and Vera Wang Princess. If I had either of those I'd wear it.

Something odd seems to have happened and I missed a chunk of posts which I have just seen. Oh go on Lilybelle, if I am not too late, try the Gardenia! I smelled it on a friend and it smelled pretty, pretty and green and she suited it, but aas you will see, something entirely different happened today!! All good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    ^^^oh, I have MANY for that one, but I don't think anything (i have) can really beat Cotton Candy Fantasy Body Mist though..
    Woohoo. Eeek!

That Cotton candy name and the packet being so pink, was so gross that I had to spray some in the store. Sweeeeteeeeee. Good gracious I fell in the sugar tin.

Hello ladies, my part in this weeks sync is Original Santal - I can't understand why LT doesn't like this one. I've come to the conclusion the he doesn't know what he is talking about

Quote Originally Posted by whwend View Post
    Purple Fantasy: Guerlain

I am with the 1-star on this and I am not neing a star-snob because going by the list very kindly transcribed by bonsai and comparing to my wardrobe past and present 'I have no taste!'
    Ha Ha. Au Contraire! You have impeccable taste, as do Mimi and boowyrmsmith! You are all five star gals!

Shall we invite Luca Turin and Tanya Sanchez? I bet you they are here. I really like the book actually. I have both versions, you know, when they updated it? My copies are covered in scribbles and notes. I agree, I disagree. I also learn just like I do here!

I am loving this synch....good job it is my day off! See you again later.

Hello fragranceman888. How nice to see you here!

Foustie, I just spritzed on some Chanel Gardenia, but I don't think I get lavender. Though I'm suggestible enough, that I thought "hmm...there is a slight whiff of lavender in there", but it passed quickly. Mostly, I get green green green jasmine, a little creamy orange blossom (?), and no gardenia at all. LT says, "a thoroughly unpleasant, loud airport-toilet floral". Good lord, it isn't that bad! Or else he uses more swanky airport toilets than I ever have (probably does!). But you know...it does smell a bit like a thoroughly pleasant sort of floral fragrance you'd buy in a gift/souvenir shop somewhere nice. When you visit plantations in the deep south, for example, they often sell fragrances and soaps and all these frilly things in the gift shop. I can see this scent being one of those. In that sense it doesn't smell *Chanel*. Well that's ok, I like it just fine for a warm sunny day (85 F today!).

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Well done you! Gabe you are so great. You do realise that you have managed all of the synchs so far! You are our hero. We love ya! Don't we girls?
    Yes, we do! Gabe is the Sync Friday Man! Good job!

This sync is just awesome- whwend really learned something, found a scent to agree with The Guide about! And Alityke finding a new love by syncing on the wrong day! See, we do learn; it's just with a lot of hilarity involved!

Re: my thoughts on The Guide- I agree with Knit, it's a really fun read. No, don't agree with all or even most of what they say but love the writing style. I find it very handy to have downloaded into my Kindle to take shopping with me. I have it riddled with highlights on scents I want to try, many of those are 3 stars or lower. I do think only testing on paper takes away from their credibility somewhat. When I agree with the book, I really agree and when I don't, I wonder if we're even smelling the same scent (that happens for me particularly with Mr. Turin's perceptions). Which leads me to:

Champs Elysees- From the get-go, Turin's two word description, "flourescent floral" made me think, "WHAT?!". This dainty little thing is not flourescent to my mind at all. They are very hard on this one; almost like they take it personally that Guerlain had the nerve to release a scent they don't like. Still like reading it, just as I enjoy reading all of your opinions. This is why I joined a perfume community in the first place, I love all the opinionated folks it gathers together. I guarantee if one of you writes a book of perfume critique, I'll jump at the chance to buy & read that, too- even if it slams every scent I love!

Oh, forgot to add I could have worn Eau de Shalimar. Don't even get me started.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 23rd March 2012 at 02:51 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Well, I was unjustified in dissing Fig Tea as unlikely to stick around - it was still lingering 10 hours later. Nevertheless, I have blasted it out of the water with my only 1* full bottle - Amarige. This is an old bottle from when it first came out, and I don't know if it has changed since, but this is heavy, heady, potent, floral stuff. Having applied only a single spray I went outside. My husband, standing about 15 feet away, calls out, 'You're wearing Amarige'. RESULT! I can add it to the list of frags he recognises (making three - Hypnotic Poison and Ormonde Woman being the other two). This isn't 1* - although apart from calling it 'loathsome' The Guide's description is spot-on.

What a fun sync today! I also have a number of * frags on the list, lol! Of those that I have, I really like Champs Elysees and wear it quite a bit. I also laughed at the description in The Guide, especially regarding the "intended audience of trashy teens in the Far East," so I am stinking like "the nightclubs of Macau" today in Champs Elysees!

Oh, and I need to find Chanel Gardenia now!

Blog Entries

For what it's worth; I also like Armani Code and D&G Light Blue. Light Blue was one of my first favorites when I started on BN.

Kumquat, I love D&G Light Blue! I also love Moschino I Love Love, which is similar.

Here's to Gabe! It's nice to have a gentleman syncher with us.

I've been sort of love/hate with Chanel Gardénia today. I took a second big blasty spray of it, and it was hate for a while (too near my face), but now it has calmed down and it is love. The drydown is lovely. I keep getting a faint impression of violets (?). I think LT must have sprayed too much too near his face. Nobody could possibly dislike what I'm smelling now.

Hi,

I have chosen Cartier Must today.

Blog Entries

Cotton Candy Fantasy by Body Fantasies is a classic stripper scent. . .

LILYBELLE! YOOHOOOOO!

Ha! I reapplied Chanel Gardenia too, and again I got a very realistic, really nice LAVENDER. A definate, unmistakeable, true, purple, Lavender! I was so puzzled because it is sooooo apparent that there is no way that no one else would comment. Then I clicked! I thought this is not Gardenia, it is................and I checked my sample and it is..........JERSEY in a Gardenia sleeve!! I told you "Gardenia" was Lavender!! No wonder you seemed puzzled! Didn't I say that I had smelled it on my friend and it was pretty? Ha ha. I am a dunderheid!

Well then, mystery cleared up, Foustie! You had me smelling lavender there for a second, so I'm the real dunderheed! Lol!

So, I'm wearing Miel de Bois today....I tried this about a year ago and I have quite conflicting feelings about this. I love the honey note (to me it is more beeswax), but I don't like the barnyard/cat pee thing going on there, I don't think it compliments the honey. To me, the honey is so syrupy it would be better to alleviate it a bit with something fresh. But this scent makes me feel sticky, like I've covered myself in that stuff they use in waxing studios. Or like I'm a fly trapped in a carnivorous plant, my feet sticking to the leaf and I can't get away...AAARRRGGGHHH! This the only fragrance I can think of that actually evokes a feeling of texture in me - but not in good way.

EDIT: I just let my DH smell my wrist. He gasped with disgust and said: "There's just one word to describe this: No."
    Last edited by Klute; 25th March 2012 at 10:14 AM.

How about a synch of "the most complex scent you own" and right before or after "the most linear or simple fragrance you own"?

Next Friday I have no idea????? Tips please.
    DONNA

I am thinking of wearing "Let me play the Lion", because it smells of sawdust and that somethow makes me think of the Wild West. I guess raw leather scents would also be suitable.

I have some more ideas for synchs:

How about four consecutive "four elements" synchs? Scents you associate with Fire, Water, Air, the Earth.

Or a synch for your most abstract, "artificial" scent and one for your most concrete, life-like scent?

double post

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    I have some more ideas for synchs:

How about four consecutive "four elements" synchs? Scents you associate with Fire, Water, Air, the Earth.

Or a synch for your most abstract, "artificial" scent and one for your most concrete, life-like scent?
    Thank you for all the sync ideas! I have added the "four elements" to the list. However, there's only one last Friday open (our one but last sync of 2012) so I could not add the rest (since they would be more fun to keep in pairs as you suggested). But let's remember them for next year - we'll need lots of ideas to fill up 2013!

I am thinking of wearing "Let me play the Lion", because it smells of sawdust and that somethow makes me think of the Wild West. I guess raw leather scents would also be suitable.
    Yes, I was thinking leather. Or maybe woody, smokey 'campfire' sniffs. I'll probably go with Calamity J, just for the name

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    Thank you for all the sync ideas! I have added the "four elements" to the list. However, there's only one last Friday open (our one but last sync of 2012) so I could not add the rest (since they would be more fun to keep in pairs as you suggested). But let's remember them for next year - we'll need lots of ideas to fill up 2013!
    That's true, I'll start racking my brain for 2013. This thread is so much fun! It has really added to my perfume experience!

I can do that one too. I'll have a rummage and see what else. I used to have an Avon in the shape of a pistol... lol

Tough one for me this week, too. I'm afraid my wardrobe isn't very well- traveled. It likes to go to Paris or the Orient every time it gets a vacation! Do have a sample of Tam Dao, which is nothing but cedar on me. Guess I could do the "sawdust theme". Hopefully will come up with something that excites me more, though. Need some Lady Stetson for this!

Lets have a olfactory brainstorm about wild west without a perfume in mind...

heat, dust, horses, gunpowder, late night around a fire (could be CB's burning leaves?), a bar full of sweaty men and boozy notes (steady on), dancing ladies on a sawdust stage, woods... what else. I know these are a bit corny.

Blog Entries

Have we ever done one about scents you started out disliking, or were unimpressed with, then decided you really loved later on? Call them 180 degree frags. I didn't like Iris Silver Mist at first or Ormonde Jayne Woman or Montale Black Aoud, to name a few on which I did complete turn-arounds.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Lets have a olfactory brainstorm about wild west without a perfume in mind...

heat, dust, horses, gunpowder, late night around a fire (could be CB's burning leaves?), a bar full of sweaty men and boozy notes (steady on), dancing ladies on a sawdust stage, woods... what else. I know these are a bit corny.
    I can see all of these, esp. the smoke from a wood fire, open skies, night stars, wild sage, pine and cedar resins, hemp rope, barnyardy odors, leather, bleached cotton, scented face powder for the dancing ladies, tobacco. You could even go Asian if you like, David Carradine/Kung Fu in the wild west, incense and tea, the traveling magic show (snake oil salesman), gunpowder.

Basenotes Plus

Next Friday is a hard one. Juliette Has a Gun fragrances or Lady Stetson are about all I've got. Unless I did Estee Lauder Dazzling Gold, since gold has a lot to do with the wild west. Any other suggestions?

Oooh, I like the dancing ladies' face powder idea!

Also wild rose, violets, crisp green prairie grasses. I suppose it depends where in the wild west we are! Now my brain is unlocking! And sarsaparilla, a tea with a licorice/root beer sort of flavor.

Have asked another BNer, Al Gae for some ideas. Don't know if he'll have time to post but he's working on some scents of his own using the American West as inspiration. If there's something we're not thinking of, he will!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 26th March 2012 at 09:24 PM.

Sarsaparilla is a great idea!

Kiliwia, using gold (or silver) is also a good idea, for mining.

I have no idea what I'm going to wear. I do have a decant of Lady Stetson, but I doubt I'll want to wear that fragrance.

Blog Entries

Cattle. Horses....Prostitutes.
    Last edited by Fleurine; 27th March 2012 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Oooh, I like the dancing ladies' face powder idea!

Also wild rose, violets, crisp green prairie grasses. I suppose it depends where in the wild west we are! Now my brain is unlocking! And sarsaparilla, a tea with a licorice/root beer sort of flavor.

Have asked another BNer, Al Gae for some ideas. Don't know if he'll have time to post but he's working on some scents of his own using the American West as inspiration. If there's something we're not thinking of, he will!
    Quite flattered, PerfumedLady. I'll be marinating on this a bit this week, but don't have a lot of time at the moment. My last trip to the Old West consisted of sawdust, of course, and the hot steel and exhaust of the chainsaw. A bit of old Scotch, peaty, and a faintly smokey wool from my dad's old coat (I no longer have a coat appropriate for such climates ). The frigid wind howling up the valley - faintly piney, and frozen-fresh. And the cactus I stepped on, a sharp bite of blood. And Mom's cooking. But that's another story...

I'll be watching this thread! A lot of good ideas here already, I'll be sure to be borrowing some... I mean really, has NObody made a sarsaparilla fragrance? I used to love to drink that stuff as a kid. It really takes me back.

Sarsparilla would be cassia-ish I suppose with some heavier earthy sweetness and berry nuances. I like the peaty whisky smoky ideas.

What a plethora of fantastic ideas for coming Friday! I'm afraid I can't add anything, all of the ideas I had have been already listed and surpassed.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Have we ever done one about scents you started out disliking, or were unimpressed with, then decided you really loved later on? Call them 180 degree frags. I didn't like Iris Silver Mist at first or Ormonde Jayne Woman or Montale Black Aoud, to name a few on which I did complete turn-arounds.
    I love your idea, kumquat! We had one single slot open in the 2012 list - now it's taken. Our list is complete! My biggest 180-deg fragrance was Shalimar - sickeningly sweet when first tried and jumping into my top 3 a few years later.

Don't let the full list hold you back though, I'll store all the coming ideas and we'll use them to kick-start the 2013 list.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Well done you! Gabe you are so great. You do realise that you have managed all of the synchs so far! You are our hero. We love ya! Don't we girls?
    thank you!

Thanks for the help, Al! I like the peaty/whiskey/smoky thought too. Very unisex idea, which is great, we do have some sync day guys. Although I'll bet our Gabe wouldn't mind smelling like a barroom hussy with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    I'll be watching this thread! A lot of good ideas here already, I'll be sure to be borrowing some... I mean really, has NObody made a sarsaparilla fragrance? I used to love to drink that stuff as a kid. It really takes me back.
    Get on that, willya?! Our city has an annual Johnny Appleseed Festival in September- one of the main reasons I go each year is to have a cup of sarsaparilla tea. It is so yummy!

Ok, this is how weird I am- I've been sniffing my Coty translucent loose powder, a make-up item I keep ONLY to sniff. Never wear it; have my nicer, technologically advanced mineral powder for that. But I love the scent and it's exactly what I'm thinking of for my dancing ladies. I know what scent I want- Guerlain's Meteorites. Since that's an impossibility, it will have to be Insolence, the next best thing. Still more modern than I was wanting, though. Guess my saloon girls will have to be futuristic floosies!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 27th March 2012 at 02:22 PM.

Guerlain Meteorites definitely has that talcy faded dusty floral smell--definitely suitable for a nineteenth-century wild-west saloon dancin' girl!!

Hi, Aglaia! I know, I know! Isn't it a shame Meteorites was discontinued? Never understood it; was a very popular scent in my area. Welcome to the Sync Friday thread, hope you'll join us!

Hey Bonsai, just noticed this, I think the order got mixed up here - didn't it?

[SIZE="4"][B][U]
    21/09/12 - A bomb
    05/10/12 - Four Elements 1 - Air
    12/10/12 - A fragrance you love but hate its ad/description
    (Alternative: a fragrance that does not match its ad/description/name).
    28/09/12 - Four Elements 2 - Water
    19/10/12 - Your favourite woody scent

Blog Entries

What a plethora of fantastic ideas for coming Friday! I'm afraid I can't add anything, all of the ideas I had have been already listed and surpassed.

I love your idea, kumquat! We had one single slot open in the 2012 list - now it's taken. Our list is complete! My biggest 180-deg fragrance was Shalimar - sickeningly sweet when first tried and jumping into my top 3 a few years later.

Don't let the full list hold you back though, I'll store all the coming ideas and we'll use them to kick-start the 2013 list.
    OK, I'm glad you can use it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    OK, I'm glad you can use it in the future.
    Hi kumqat, with the last open slot being taken I meant that I used your idea to fill it in. Thank you again for it.
    The "don't let the full list hold you back" was a message to everybody - sync ideas are always welcome even if we can't use them this year anymore.

Hey Bonsai, just noticed this, I think the order got mixed up here - didn't it?
    Thanks a lot! I have fixed it.

Looking at my samples I got an idea for tomorrow's sync: the Gold Rush. Maybe a fragrance with "Gold" in its name?

I have DK Gold so that would work, and I actually like it.

I was thinking of RL Pure Turquoise, too. He always does something western themed. I have a sample of that, but the problem for me with Friday scent synchs is that I never know what fragrance I’ll actually be in the mood for when it’s time to pull the trigger.

Blog Entries

Great! I shall get out my Amouage Gold- Yummmm!

Ooo! I have a sample of Lonestar Memories. I think that qualifies.

Opted for CdG Sequoia - for the Canadian Wild West.

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Ooo! I have a sample of Lonestar Memories. I think that qualifies.
    Me too and that is what I am going to go with. I have tested and smelled it so far but I haven't actually worn it. I have some business to do though so I might keep it till a bit later when I can really wear it. To begin with it smells like you have been standing next to roadworks, laying asphalt, but then it gets a bit smokier and softer. For this morning, eeehm........I just went for a look and actually I might go with Shalimar Parfum Initial. What with the tassle and the bottle it just looks right today. Yes, thats me. A saloon girl today and a cowboy tonight. I'm good!

See you later girls and Gabe.

I am loving all the ideas for today, gold rushes and saloon girls! It is just great!

Terre Du Bois -Miller Harris ....i have a sample and the name sounds perfect
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I'm finally joining you guys in a sample of Lonestar memories.

Synching in the later release of Diorling which is a leather chypre

good morning everybody. i forgot about the sync today with so many things going on the past couple of days and today. i put on nautica sunset voyage this morning. i really like the orange smell in it. caught me by surprise. i will be syncing tonight with something from Aramis. have a great day

My first thought was Dzing! with the sawdust and sweaty horse theme...However I now decided to wear a Calvin Klein scent ( he's american isn't he?) for the synch.

I'm late! Took about 40 min. just to log in to BN, another 10-15 to access this page. Could just be my old laptop but after the week we've had, I'll no longer access the site on my newer gadgets. None of you expected the dancing party girl to be on time anyway, did you?

Insolence today but it's not hitting the spot. Guess I really did just want Meteorites. Need less tart berries, MORE powder!

I’m wearing Jo Malone Red Roses after the gym. I’ve decided it’s western so I’m in sync.

Lol! Lilybelle, I thought that saddle was a toy until I noticed the appy underneath! (Unless it's on one of those Breyer horses and I've been fooled twice!)

Syncs are always so fun... I wish I had more options, but I could only come up with TdH for "cedar" or DK Gold, and I went with Gold. It reminds me of Tommy Girl minus the tea, and I finally looked it up and they are both by Calice Becker, so I guess that makes some sense. And now I can't stop thinking of Gold as "Ommy Girl" (no T! lol)

Basenotes Plus

Hmnnn...may have to wear several scents today to fully encompass the Wild West theme.
    Started off looking for my sample of Bandit but wasunable to locate it.
    Sprayed Azzaro Eau Belle- There was always a dance hall girl named Belle in Westerns wasn't there?
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home