Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2012

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    the crazy thing is that I adore Shalimar and feel really happy in it,..
    If I had to scale my wardrobe down to three scents, Shalimar would be one of them. The extrait yields more of the smokey incense along the way, and the longlasting drydown is straight up vanilla with a dusting of powder. Soft, warm, spicy and yummy. The edp is beautiful, not quite as smokey, but always garners a compliment or two, which is nice. A timeless classic. Though Shalimar always makes me feel sexy and womanly - I absolutely think this beauty has a balance of yin and yang (smoky and sweet) that makes it just as good on a man.
    TGIF.
    How elegant.. lovely! Perfumed Lady, Donna225, devilcat, Twolf, and those that may be yet to come. This is what I had hoped for today, that you girls would share your experience of Shalimar. Mikeperez is a real afficianado as well. (Have you all popped over to SOTD to see what he is wearing?) I seem to remember that so is your good friend Mimi. I just know that you all smell lovely in it, gabeinstyle too, (attaboy!). Thanks All.

PerfumedLady there she goes, watch her go.....

Not bad, huh, Foustie? I've managed to sync Shalimar EDP twice this year already- does that put me at 2 out of 3? I do have some other concentrations/formulations up my sleeve in case I need them for future syncs! Unfortunately, no vintage.

Yes, thought maybe Mike would know more about that bottle Twolf posted and pop in with an answer. Am especially jealous of his vintage body cream today!

And you're right about Mimi- she's a great resource on all things Guerlain. Knows Shalimar very well; could probably write volumes on Mitsouko.

Gabeinstyle, good for you, figuring out that many of these women's classics work perfectly well for men. Smart man!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Blog Entries

Well, I have Shalimar on! It is not my favorite vanilla, but the truth is that I do not have a favorite vanilla. For a while I thought L'Artisan Vanillia was, but when matildaben kindly sent me a decant, I was surprised -- is it the one I thought was such a non-sweet woody vanilla? Smelled pretty sweet to me.

So I am in Shalimar, to explore this great classic more. Um, what's horrible though is that I am, apparently, a Shalimar ignoramus. I do not even know what I am wearing today! Bear with me, here's my story. The first version of Shalimar I've tried was a vintage parfum kindly sent to me by another fragrance enthusiast in my veery early perfumista days, perhaps the very first ones. When they say, "never give away samples you did not like", they mean these days rather than today, I believe. I have given away my samples of Ambre Sultan, and I also have given away the dab sample of the Shalimar vintage parfum *hangs head* I guess I wanted to give something special to a person who sent me things, and I knew this was special, and I knew I wasn't appreciating it at the time.

My next stop was -- could it be any further -- at San Fran Sephora. All I wanted is to try a new Initial version. Then it occurred to me that I should be comparing it with what they have on the shelves next to it -- the Shalimar itself. So I don't even noticed the bottle it came in or the concentration. So there it goes -- some version of Shalimar I wear.

I do not smell vanilla. It it dark and comforting at the same time. In fact, for a Guerlain 1925 classic it seems very linear, or perhaps it does not "open up" on my skin and does not develop. I do like it, but it is not quite "me". But I will certainly be coming back to it, and will try in different concentrations.

Thanks for the fun sync, y'all!

I put on Habit Rouge - which some people have described as Shalimars alter ego. I really like it and so does my SO. :-)

Blog Entries

When I wore Shalimar the other day, I was struck by it's dignified elegance. I kept wafting to myself in the most alluring manner all day! It made me think of furs and evening gowns. What a classy scent. This one is just at the top of the mark, IMO. I was wearing a vintage juice from the round flat cologne bottle. Normally the vanilla overpowers the mellow woodiness for me, that might be in newer formulas. This particular juice is just beautiful.

thank you all for the compliments

I am not sure what this Friday's choice is suppose to mean? Help!!!

Ornate bottle?
    What?
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I am not sure what this Friday's choice is suppose to mean? Help!!!
    My interpretation is that it should be a complex scent. The scent with the most facets, with the most intriguing development, with the most richness/fullness, your most "baroque" scent, etc.

I was thinking of one of the Mona scents from her Signature line, Nuit Noir or Jabu perhaps.

or·nate (ôr-n t ). adj. 1. Elaborately, heavily, and often excessively ornamented. 2. Flashy, showy, or florid in style or manner; flowery.

haha. i'm gonna wear something strong and show it off.

Will probably go with a 1980s heavy-hitter like Diva or LouLou. Or a big floral like Carnal Flower. Will be home alone on Friday so can spray with gay abandon!

Blog Entries

I was thinking about Estee Lauder Beautiful.
    I guess LouLou would fit the bill greatly as well (made by the same nose that is responsible to Poison) and I know I love it... decisions, decisions!

PerfumedLady, will you tell why Shalimar fits?

You bet! Even though Shalimar has a relatively short list of notes, it did indeed occur to me that it fits for this sync.

Shalimar is deceptively simple, a quality I adore in fragrances. It fits one of my favorite sayings-"The whole is more than the sum of the parts". Meaning that what Shalimar's individual parts create in the end is more complex than what it "should" be, according to any notes list. Guerlain claims that it will change depending on the skin, the moment, the season. Have always found this to be true of Shalimar; it's never done developing and changing until it is off the skin. It tricks me into thinking it's more complicated than it is.

Well, that's my logic for the week! Now,I will concede that maybe I'll be the only one who agrees with me! In any case, think I'll be wearing Ivoire this Fri. No one will disagree- that has a very definitely ornate list of notes. And I've been missing it, haven't worn it in awhile.

Blog Entries

I think you're making a fine case and Shalimar, while comforting, is pretty baroque as well!

Think I'll go for the ultimate Catholic Church fragrance, Bois d'Encens. Surely nothing is more ornate than a Catholic or Orthodox church?

Ehm, I don't know. I don't really have any fragrances that I would describe as ornate. It is not really my thing. I have been going more sort of minimalist, contemporary, "neesh" for a while. Ha ha. Ehm. I have some Histoire De Parfums ones. They are beautifully structured with lovely materials but still, I wouldn't call them ornate. I have teensy bit of Tabac Blond Extrait but I don't find it ornate per se, more angular. Actually Warum has a good idea. I have a sample of Beautiful I think. Oh! I have a sample of Eau De Soir, a chypre, yep I fancy that. Mind you.....

I'm more into sheer & modern these days, too. I'm scratching my head over what I want to wear for "ornate". It's really not my style, so this will be a challenge to get out of my comfort zone.

hehe. i'm gonna make people mad with extra sprays of A*Men.

I had to go to the dictionary to check if "ornate" meant what I thought it did. I was thinking L'heure bleue for the bottle...but I suppose the scent too would qualify....Or Coco edp?

I am wearing Mona di Orio's Nuit Noire. It is unusual, complex and intriguing. Not one of those scents which envelop me in a scent bubble where I feel comfortable and safe. No, it keeps me wanting to take sniffs of it continuously in a desire to understand it. And while it does not feel uncomfortable or unfitting, it stays misterious and intriguing. And it only gets more and more beautiful as time passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Think I'll go for the ultimate Catholic Church fragrance, Bois d'Encens. Surely nothing is more ornate than a Catholic or Orthodox church?
    Have you tried CdG Avingnon yet? The Catholic Church fragrance to me (I haven't tried Bois d'Encens yet though).

It's on my test list Bonsai but I've bought so much recently I can't really justify more at the moment.... Mr Ali keeps tutting

Le Parfum de Therese, created by Edmond Rodnitska for the sole use of his wife Therese, then later released as part of the Editions Frederic Malle Collection. From a sample.

I just applied it a short time ago and I am loving this today. This is the second sample that I have had. I was undecided when I first tried it. I have no idea why. I remember being disappointed because I really wanted to be blown away by a perfumers creation for his wife, who was also a perfumer. I think maybe I barged in impatiently and didn't really experience it properly. (Do you ever do that?) Now, approaching it more calmly I find that this is very, very beautiful.

Notes are;
    Mandarin melon jasmine pepper

Violet rose plum nutmeg

Cedar Vetiver Leather

The opening is exactly as listed, immediately a wet melon with pepper, a surprisingly lovely combination, then the mandarin and a light touch of jasmine, the heart notes are coming through now. Might post again later. This is lovely.

I'm already in Lyric Woman - not the most ornate of the Amouage line I have sampled, perhaps, but truly gorgeous. Perhaps this evening I'll slip into Gold, or jump houses and pull out the Carnal Flower.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    I had to go to the dictionary to check if "ornate" meant what I thought it did. I was thinking L'heure bleue for the bottle...but I suppose the scent too would qualify....Or Coco edp?
    I think both would qualify as ornate. I was thinking of L'heure Bleue, too, so we must be on the right track. I was also thinking about ornate bottles, but I don't have any of those.

good day everybody. wearing A*Men today.

Been in Bois d'Encens as promised. Going to bathe in a while then Paul Smith Rose body lotion and a spritz of Rose EDT

It's taken me all day to decide and I've plumped for vintage Bal a Versailles because of the bottle picture. I think that is ornate.

Wow, Foustie how awesome that must be, I am a huge fan of Mr. Roudnitska. Some other gorgeous fumes too. I am wearing Clinique's AE LE Perfumer's Reserve, I chose it based on the bottle, which I almost ruined this a.m.)) it would have been the third one I have broken in the last few months and surely would have been close to a heart attack especially because I really love this bottle and the limited fume. Have a nice weekend everyone.

Basenotes Plus

Interesting and fun sync today- topic is open to much individual interpretation.

I forgot who- (sorry!! caffeine has not circulated sufficiently yet) but whoever it is who wants to wear Shalimar for every sync- go for it today- it certainly fits!

Hmmmmmm decisions..it might be Vallee Des Rois by Mira Takla .. or L'Arte de Gucci...or Theatro alla Scala. The bottles & the scents are ornate.
    Will report back later.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

The Parfum de Therese is beautiful. I had to reaply this evening because my earlier dose was washed/rubbed off. I am at the stage just after the top notes again, now we have some rose and nutmeg and it really is lovely. I don't know how tenacious it is going to be on me though. We will see. I really hope that I get to experience the long development because the base notes sound fabulous to me.

I guess I have flunked the synch though. I wouldn't call this ornate. Nuanced, interesting, but not ornate. Hey, but so what I an enjoying it!

Thanks again Bonsai!

Blog Entries

I am again wearing En Avion (from yesterday) and I have to say, it fills the bill, ornate-wise. It is far more complex than I remembered. I just got this bottle of extrait from France. It is just out-of-this-world, heavenly. An enveloping creaminess of complex floral bouquet that dries to a womanly powder. Normally I don't go for such baroque florals, but this one has so much depth and profound beauty, it really has me overwhelmed!

Foustie, ornate or not, LPdT is bee-yoo-tiful! Love that scent! You smell fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    I forgot who- (sorry!! caffeine has not circulated sufficiently yet) but whoever it is who wants to wear Shalimar for every sync- go for it today- it certainly fits!
    That would be me, Knit! I agree, Shalimar would do just fine. Warum already used the word that describes it best for me- baroque. Really came close to wearing it today but felt I should find something, anything else to talk about!

In that spirit, I did go with Ivoire de Balmain. A 1980 bomb of a scent, even in EDT. Aldehydes, lots of green notes, nearly every floral under the sun and a luxurious base that even includes a jammy raspberry note. My Grandma always had a bottle of this on her dresser (and Ambush and nothing else) and I knew even when young I would someday, too. Mine is the current formulation, one of the best reformulations I know. Inspired by an elegant woman spotted by Pierre Balmain at the opera. Exactly where I feel I should be going when I wear this.

PL I loved Ivoire back in the day. One of my 'greenies'. I'm delighted the latest formulation is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I am again wearing En Avion (from yesterday) and I have to say, it fills the bill, ornate-wise. It is far more complex than I remembered. I just got this bottle of extrait from France. It is just out-of-this-world, heavenly. An enveloping creaminess of complex floral bouquet that dries to a womanly powder. Normally I don't go for such baroque florals, but this one has so much depth and profound beauty, it really has me overwhelmed!
    Gasp. I am nearly swooning just reading this! Well...if I was the swooning type. A BN friend sent me a little of the En Avion Extrait and it was love at first sniff. Some day!

You girls, and gabeinstyle, are all fascinating today, Bois D'Encens, Bal a Versaille, Ivoire de Balmain, Theatro all Scalla, Valle Des Rois, the Amouge line. WOW! Look at that line up. This is really a watch and learn day for me (not so as you would have noticed so far) so I will shut up now!

Basenotes Plus

Perfumed Lady!! Yes yes, tis you! Thank you for the shout out! BTW- I LOVE and adore Ivoire Actually i love all Balmains. Agree 1000% that vintage and modern formulas are nearly indistinguishable.

soooooo, I ended up in Caron Parfum Sacre EDP.
    A Scent Rescuer

Foustie, you are so funny, I really enjoy your posts.

I finally got around to synching in L'Heure Bleue edp (from a BN friend's decant). I suppose it is ornate, but I don't get anything "grand" in this, which is what I keep thinking ornate should be. I don't get anything melancholy in L'Heure Bleue either. To me, it is always cozy, sweet and vintagey. Maybe sleeping in it overnight will give me a different impression from my subconscious, since my conscious mind is too scatterbrained these days to concentrate for long.

For the upcoming synchs -- travel theme 8 "Great White North" (perhpas, I am too tired and not reading the list, can include Scndinavian countries, frosty smells. what was it about Neil Morris in Finland?), travel theme 9 "My journey -- where and why?" (one can travel where they want to -- Australia, Hymalaii, Hawaii, Russia, Thailand, Chilie -- with the help of their scents).

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    For the upcoming synchs -- travel theme 8 "Great White North" (perhpas, I am too tired and not reading the list, can include Scndinavian countries, frosty smells. what was it about Neil Morris in Finland?), travel theme 9 "My journey -- where and why?" (one can travel where they want to -- Australia, Hymalaii, Hawaii, Russia, Thailand, Chilie -- with the help of their scents).
    Thank you, great ideas! I added them to the list. I switched around the order though, thinking that the "Great White North" might be more fitting for the December cold.

Thank you all for the sync ideas and for the enthusiasm. We have nearly filled up the entire 2012 list and I am really enjoying our shared Fridays!

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Agree 1000% that vintage and modern formulas are nearly indistinguishable.
    Alityke, I couldn't have asked for better back up than this quote from Knit. She probably even has a bit of vintage and modern Ivoire to have done a side by side comparison (do you, Knit, and have you?)! Seriously, if you think you'd like some for old time's sake, grab it- I don't believe you'll be disappointed.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't tried the other Balmains! I don't even know how G-ma ever discovered Ivoire; Balmain was just never seen in the small town where I grew up. Sampling the rest of the line is actually at the top of my 2012 perfume to-do list. All this sampling I've done and still haven't gotten to Balmain- pathetic!

This was really a fun sync! Thanks gang and especially thank you, Bonsai, our fearless leader!

Blog Entries

Alright, y'all, you didn't loose me! Yesterday I've been traveling, having work meetings and then jumped right into the blind sniff in the evening (which was way over by then, but great, amazing fun!). I have to admit that on the way to work I tested some samples, but then as soon as I was free to go from meetings, I pulled out my small spray of Estee Lauser Beautiful and applied. 3 (yes, three) small sprays. Whoa, the entire evening I was in the gorgeous cloud of a classy floral perfume. I don't think it is technically a chypre, but it has the feel. Very classy. Pretty ornate. I could've done LouLou, too, which would be even more ornate, or Epic Woman, but I don't have even a mini of those -- only samples. A Beautiful I have a mini of and I'll certainly reach out for it more. I haven't touched the bottle after a bad experience last year when I overapplied and felt as if a huge beast made from flowers and soap jumped at my head and throat. I sat in horror through the symphony concert and all I remember from it is the monster. Hence three sprays. Three small sprays, every one of them only more precious that way.

I still smell the rich base this morning. So I am still wearing it in a way! Call it perfume hangover (PL, wink wink, I love ornery brains, takes one to know one) or a morning drydown, it's gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I think maybe I barged in impatiently and didn't really experience it properly. (Do you ever do that?) Now, approaching it more calmly I find that this is very, very beautiful.
    Foustie, yes, actually I do it quite often.
    Sometimes I need to have a full wearing of a sample to realize that I don't like it because I expected something from it and it ain't that. So I put the sample away then and experience it later on its own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Great themes! Andrea Maack perfumes would fit literally to this theme too, and anything with aurora borealis, I guess -- wouldn't that be a neat name for a perfume? And yes, I think it would be an especially fun Friday sync when we all share our dream journeys and the dreams behind them... I already know mine...

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    This was really a fun sync! Thanks gang and especially thank you, Bonsai, our fearless leader!
    Yep, plus one! Thanks, Bonsai, and thanks, y'all! This is great fun! I'll go put new syncs on my calendar.

Blog Entries

Wow, we really did cover almost a year!
    Should we include for the end of the year our more or less traditional ones: (1) the frag I fell in love with in 2012 and (2) the best 2012 release?
    Or not worry about that because these syncs fall on Dec 21 and Dec 28 and some of us would wear a new love on New Year's eve?
    What say you?

Missed the boat on this, but I would have chosen Penhaligon's Sartorial. It's a very complex and ornate scent with 24 notes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I was in Donna Karan by Donna Karan 1992 (the first label perfume by DK) last Friday
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Should we include for the end of the year our more or less traditional ones: (1) the frag I fell in love with in 2012 and (2) the best 2012 release?
    Or not worry about that because these syncs fall on Dec 21 and Dec 28 and some of us would wear a new love on New Year's eve?
    I have included both, they are great end-of-the-year syncs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    I have included both, they are great end-of-the-year syncs.
    Thanks!

03/02/12 - A fragrance you associate with a book, movie or fictional character
    Hmm...

I can only think of Sunflower by Rebecca West, but I don't have it.
    I have Happy and that just reminds me of that silly penguin in Happy feet.... Naaaah

I think I might wear something reminding me of Louise Brooks, she is my all time femme fatale, so something like Worth Dans la Nuit, which I do have.

i'm stuck on this one.

i actually just found this site thanks to google.

http://www.celebrityfragranceguide.com/

going with George Clooney and wearing GIT.

My theme scent for today-2000 film Le Chocolat and scent Chocolovers Aquolina
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Basenotes Plus

hmmmm Scarlett O'hara in GWTW...the smell of turnips or Mauooussin's Histoire D'eau...The Story of O (wink wink)
    I guess I'm going to go with Fleurs de Rocaille from Scent of a Woman.
    A Scent Rescuer

Caron Narcisse Noir extract. Well Gloria Swanson wore it and made them spray the set of Sunset Blvd before she would step on there.
    DONNA

These are great! Sophi, brilliant! All I could come up with last night was Yardley Lavender or Violets for Miss Marple, lol! But I'm not in the mood to be Miss Marple today. I guess I'll pick a fragrance and try to apply a character or work of fiction to it, rather than the other way around. Will report back later.

The smell of turnips knit? I'm offended on Scarlett's behalf, lol! I thought of her too, btw. The cologne she gargled with is fictional - Cheautard's Eau de Cologne - otherwise, I'd certainly own a bottle of it!

I went with Rosemary Woodhouse's Detchema - I love it so I'm always happy to wear it, but I don't believe I have anything else with a proper fictional character link.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Took the easy road today - syncing in Mitsouko. Comes complete with its own literary association and it just so happens I needed to make up a sample of it this morning for another BNer. That's great because I really couldn't get my brain going earlier - was foggy, just like the weather I woke up to.

Could have worn Shalimar - it has so many associations. My favorite involves the character "Emily" on The Bob Newhart Show, played by the fantastic Suzanne Pleshette, bless her soul. She's talking (complaining) with a friend about having mentioned ONCE to Bob that she liked Shalimar, which she then received from him so many times that she was up to her eyeballs in the juice! I can sympathize; as much as I love it, how much Shalimar does one need? After we've stocked up a lifetime's worth, it is nice to receive some other fragrant gifts occasionally!

In the film "Hannibal", Dr Lecter is seen in the Santa Maria Novella shop in Via Della Scala in Florence. It is one of my favourite places. There is also a wonderful scene where several noses try to analyse a scent that he has left on a letter to Clarice Starling, a hand cream. That is what takes the hunt to Florence. I have been wearing SMN fragrances, and using their bath and body products for many years, so, Santa Maria Novella "Iris" later this evening for the synch.

I've been thinking on this for the last two days but could not come up with anything. All the associations I could make were for scents which I did not feel like wearing. But this morning the idea came: Pom-Pom from the beloved Hungarian children's series "Pom-pom meséi" (The tales of Pom-Pom). Mona di Orio's Musc would fit Pom-Pom well:

Gombóc Artúr, the chocolate-addict bird from the series would smell like warm feathers and a mix of all kinds of chocolates, but I don't know of a perfume which smells like this:

good morning all. i changed my mind last minute. Wearing Creed Bois du Portugual. Frank Sinatra used to wear it. all of you smell wonderful! hope that all of you have a great day

Lord of the rings is my favourite book ever! Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe makes me think of Galadriel , "Lady of the forest".

I decided to wear Elizabeth Arden's Provocative Woman today. The provocative woman is a stock character in film noir. How is that for my Scent Synch association?