Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2012

cestrum nocturnum, it looks like the saddle pic is pasted on top of the horse pic. I didn’t know DK Gold was by Calice Becker, no wonder I like it. I enjoy her creations.

Knit, brilliant! You are a perfect Belle!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    cestrum nocturnum, it looks like the saddle pic is pasted on top of the horse pic. I didn’t know DK Gold was by Calice Becker, no wonder I like it. I enjoy her creations.
    LOL!!!! OMG, I wish I could blame my eyes, but I was wearing new contacts. There is something behind the neck/withers (perhaps in the background?) and it looked like shiny black mane, so I didn't see that the saddle is actually floating! lol....and now that I looked again, it totally *does not look like mane.* There are even weird dots. This is ridiculous but I find it hilarious! Ok, sorry for the entirely off topic comment...

Anyway, Lilybelle, I'm curious if you find any similarity w/DK Gold and Tommy Girl? (If you've smelled TG... Not something I'd normally think to try, but I actually sought it out due to curiosity from the accolades it gets in The Guide... but I'm very new at this, so I wonder if I am just imagining things.)

Basenotes Institution

I'm totally out of synch today gals/guys but it's been fun reading your comments.

What would I have worn? Probably Bang by Marc Jacobs, right?

And ladies, I personally don't smell a similarity to Gold and Tommy Girl, but that's just me and mind you I do **not** like lillies, so I never fully appreciated the DK.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hi, I just joined Basenotes today. What a fantastic idea, can't wait for next Friday so I can join in the fun!

Good morning everybody. Welcome BellaRose!

Foustie, I missed the sync yesterday completely. didn't wear tuscany which i was planning to last night, but it is my SOTD. i missed my first sync. oh well.

hope that all of you have a great weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    LOL!!!! OMG, I wish I could blame my eyes, but I was wearing new contacts. There is something behind the neck/withers (perhaps in the background?) and it looked like shiny black mane, so I didn't see that the saddle is actually floating! lol....and now that I looked again, it totally *does not look like mane.* There are even weird dots. This is ridiculous but I find it hilarious! Ok, sorry for the entirely off topic comment...
    Yes, that’s what I noticed too when I took a second look. The mane/withers area looks strange. Must have been pasted on.

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    Anyway, Lilybelle, I'm curious if you find any similarity w/DK Gold and Tommy Girl? (If you've smelled TG... Not something I'd normally think to try, but I actually sought it out due to curiosity from the accolades it gets in The Guide... but I'm very new at this, so I wonder if I am just imagining things.)
    No, I don’t notice any similarity between the two, but I have DK Gold edp, and I understand the edt has a more pronounced cucumber note, and I wonder whether that smells more like Tommy Girl (though I don’t get cucumber in TG either).

Welcome BellaRose!

Mike, Bang would have been perfect.

Thinking ahead to Friday. I'm sad to report that I rarely get complimented on my scents (they rarely even get noticed), so will have to go for the 'family favourite' one. For me this will be either Ormonde Woman (reminds my husband of panettone, which he adores), Hypnotic Poison (he likes the play-doh vibe) or L'Air du Desert Marocain (both husband and son commented favourably on this one). These are all crowd-pleasers in my household!

Ooohh... I can double synch this week. Gaultier2 which Mr Ali loves, gets compliments at the football and got 1* in The Guide

I have a double bubble for this week. Acqua Di Sicilia by Santa Maria Novella. A straight up Citrus Eau De Cologne which I have has attracted many compliments, and my mum loves it! Also, I will be pleased to wear it because I am having a viewing at my house which is up for sale, and it strikes me as entirely appropriate for that. So, bring it on....

......oh, and Gabe, we will expect to see you on Friday, suitably attired!

I seldom receive compliments on fragrances, and my husband has a sensitive nose and doesn’t care for most fragrances, especially when they’ve first been sprayed or applied. He liked Bulgari Voile de Jasmin but I couldn’t even smell it past 30 seconds, so I don’t have that one. Maybe I’ll wear Shalimar, as he doesn’t seem to object to that one. Hmm…a family favorite…that would be dinner cooking.

Hmm...this must be either Crystal Noir or # 19 for family favourites. In general I get compliments for Angel, Trouble and also Love's true bluish light and Hypnotic Poison.

The highest compliment I receive at home on a fragrance is "this is ok". So far Terracotta Voile d'Ete, Calypso, Etro Dianthus and Sa Majeste la Rose have earned the "ok". I think I'll go with Terracotta VdE, it's powdery lushness will help to counterbalance the gloomy weather expected for Friday.

Well, like Lilybelle, if I'm complimented on scent, it's usually for something I'm cooking. Mr. PL does often tell me I smell pretty and clean when wearing my powdery orientals but I think that's his own particular association he has formed. I've applied Shalimar (in which he only smells baby powder) post bathing enough times that I think he just believes I naturally smell all ambery and sweet! When clean, that is.

As for the rest of the family- good luck smelling anything over Dad's English Leather. Entire family has always worn scent so you have to be LOUD for them to notice. One Grandma wears Ambush, the other Emeraude; both have enough vintage to last them all their days. When my mother was alive, she wore her White Shoulders in room-clearing amounts. As you can see, I've never had a chance for compliments! Mom did love- get this- Red Door on me! I never liked it, though.

My S-I-L does compliment me on perfumes, will probably choose one of her faves. She hasn't been around long enough for the fumes coming off this family to make her completely anosmic just yet.
    The nose wants what it wants!

So funny, Perfumedlady! Riding in a car with my mother is asphyxiating! It’s so thick you can taste it. She got a job a couple of years ago and somebody near her complained about her perfume. It was her first week. She said the woman was jealous and my mother ditched the job, lol!

Blog Entries

Well, I am back after skipping several sync Fridays.
    But not this one -- and I will wear the "husband favorite" Epic. I am through one 2 ml spray sample and starting another one. You know what will come next....

And I also wanted to ask you all -- anyone wants to try Blind Sniff in April? We do need sniffers, one or two more, and it's an experience -- to receive in the mail the vials labeled only with letters, and to try to guess them based on your nose and the clues provided by the hosts... I was worried if I could guess even one note correctly, but the first experience was so much fun! If you'd like to learn more, click on any of the links in my signature and/or PM me! I'll happily answer any questions! (except what is the sample C the folks are guessing right now, that is! )

Blog Entries

Oh no! I might have synched for this week today...my husband just texted me, "I like the perfume you wear this morning, I can still smell it in the car."

Shalimar Parfum Initial

So funny, Perfumedlady! Riding in a car with my mother is asphyxiating! It’s so thick you can taste it. She got a job a couple of years ago and somebody near her complained about her perfume. It was her first week. She said the woman was jealous and my mother ditched the job, lol!
    LOL! Oh, my goodness is that an awesome story! That goes in my memory bank of stories for when I need a giggle. She sounds like she'd fit right in with my crazy, stinky bunch! Oh, I'm going to be laughing all evening!

BTW, what perfume was it that sent that co-worker into her jealous fit?

Warum, I so want to do a Blind Sniff but this spring is a no-go for me. Starting some of our bigger house renovation projects once we get through Easter. Will be lucky to get my couple of BN minutes a day for awhile but will be begging to join in when my load is lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    LOL! Oh, my goodness is that an awesome story! That goes in my memory bank of stories for when I need a giggle. She sounds like she'd fit right in with my crazy, stinky bunch! Oh, I'm going to be laughing all evening!

BTW, what perfume was it that sent that co-worker into her jealous fit?
    I think it was Bulgari pour Femme. It’s more a matter of her application method (heavy handed) than the fragrance itself. She thinks there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, of course. My mother is a bit of a diva in her attitudes.

Cestrum Nocturnum, I think it's a miniature saddle on a Breyer!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

PerfumedLady & Lilybelle - brilliant stories, you both have wonderful family members & I bet your family gatherings are great, overly scented - yes, but never dull or boring!

I have two perfumes (Rose Kashmirie & Rose Musc) that seem to get lots of compliments & they are appreciated & loved by my family, too. I will go with Rose Kashmirie but I might sneak in Rose Musc as my evening scent.

queen of the universe

The Story of "Cold Perfume"

When my daughter was still in her teens, she bought me Panthère de Cartier EdT for my birthday. She said it reminded her of when she was a little girl, probably just 4 or 5, and how when I came home from orchestra about 11:30 or so, I'd tiptoe into her room and give her a kiss. She said when I came home I smelled like "cold perfume" and she went searching for that scent memory. I had never worn Panthère, but no matter, this was a recreation of a memory not a smell. She must have saved a few allowances to buy this, and I do get compliments from others when I wear it. No, I didn't wear it in the orchestra pit per the "no perfume" clause in our contract, and I was retired when she gave it to me. It sums up what I love in life, too: music and my kids. I'll sync with this.
    Last edited by jujy54; 5th April 2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: speling!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

What wonderful stories! I'm thankful I grew up in a somewhat "fragranced family" too. I loved giving my dad fragrances as gifts, and would spend a lot of time with my mom finding the "right" one for him. Although I know that he really enjoyed a few different ones, (particularly by Guerlain!) I found that he always kept a small bottle of good ol' 4711 in his briefcase!!! lol... But my mom would nag him if he wanted to wear a fragrance marketed for women-- she was not as open minded and thought it was not "proper" and it would embarrass her if people figured it out.

Frou Frou, I think you solved the saddle mystery, lol! That explains the weird dots. I really should have my eyes checked again... BTW, great sig line, too.

Hmmm, I'm at a loss for this sync-- either I am a chronic undersprayer, or no one likes anything I wear! I have received most compliments wearing my random lemongrass EO blends, or Opium, which is strong even with one spray.

Hmm, wàs 4711 marketed for women? I thought is was always used by men and women alike through the ages? Does anybody know?

I love Breyer horses, I had them instead of barbie dolls when I was little, I have a whole herd. The saddle is very well made, but is has a stiffness, and the seat is too flat, and that black on the left are plastic manes
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I don't know what I am going to wear tomorrow, I hardly ever get compliments on my gorgeous perfumes...
    It has to be either Balmain de Balmain, for which I received two compliments, or Aperçu which my olfactory challenged husband complimented me on once.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Frou Frou, so happy to see you here. Clary sage, jasmine, rose and sandalwood would be good ingredients for you to look for in a frag.

My family never comment voluntarily on my frags as I regularly stuff a wrist under a childs sleepy nose nearly every day with different creations or purchases on. A guest was staying the other day and she commented that my kids were incredibly tolerant of such behaviour. They do not know it isn't normal because it is in this house!!. My middle son will probably never marry anyone wearing fragrance, he says he hates them all and prefers skin. Only a very few get the "s'ok" from him. My oldest has a brilliant nose and quite liked the reformulated Diorling. I was wearing it yesterday and my father commented with a "you smell rather nice". My daughter likes any frag with vanilla and benzoin in that smell like toffee.

I do quite like and may wear the new Diorling tomorrow, but it has a white dry medical aspirin note that I cannot work out at all. Any guesses? It is the one note that may eventually spoil it for me. I keep having to wear it to see what it may be. It's ok at first, then this very funny note in the middle that nearly, but not quite, takes it into smelling like a lab before it returns to a nice frag again. Longevity fairly poor.

Apres L'Ondee edt vintage version. I have no family so that part is out but otherwise random people have said how much they like this one and ask about it.
    DONNA

Good Morning lovely basenoters. today i chose Azzaro Pour Homme for the sync. i don't know what it is about this fragrance, but i guess alot of compliments when i wear it, especially by all of my Brazilian friends, as well as my parents. my dad told me that it was really popular in Brazil when it was first released. well have a great fragrant day.

In synch with Palmain de Balmain parfum. Got compliments on it, bit much more important, whenever I get a whiff of it myself I am very happy
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Another suggestion for future synchs : a scent / a perfume with a smell you associate with the different seasons. We can split it in four different ones f.ex?

Your mum sounds like a feisty one!! LOL

In a very simple fragrance today. As I have said before, I have actually noticed that it is not the femmes, or the femmes fatales, or the orientals that get the compliments round here, it is Citrus Eau De Cologne! So I am happy to oblige with Santa Maria Novella Aqcua De Sicilia. Lots of it. I doesnt last of course but while it does it makes you cheery.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    The Story of "Cold Perfume"

When my daughter was still in her teens, she bought me Panthère de Cartier EdT for my birthday. She said it reminded her of when she was a little girl, probably just 4 or 5, and how when I came home from orchestra about 11:30 or so, I'd tiptoe into her room and give her a kiss. She said when I came home I smelled like "cold perfume" and she went searching for that scent memory. I had never worn Panthère, but no matter, this was a recreation of a memory not a smell. She must have saved a few allowances to buy this, and I do get compliments from others when I wear it. No, I didn't wear it in the orchestra pit per the "no perfume" clause in our contract, and I was retired when she gave it to me. It sums up what I love in life, too: music and my kids. I'll sync with this.
    And so you should. Lovely.

Fweep, Pheeeeeeeeew. (That is a wof whistle for Gabe).

Mumsy, you have given me a notion to try Diorling. I like kinda cold dry labby medicinal smells. Honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post

Mumsy, you have given me a notion to try Diorling. I like kinda cold dry labby medicinal smells. Honest.
    (feeling like a BOSS) thank you thank you. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post

(feeling like a BOSS) thank you thank you. haha

Basenotes Plus

Proud of you for hanging in with the syncs Gabeinstyle, our Massachusetts man!

Very rarely do I ever get a compliment. But I got two (1 from coworker, 1from stranger who had to pass close by me in a crowded aisle) on YSL In Love Again Jasmin Etoile. So that's what I'll wear today.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Thank goodness you’re back Frou Frou! Who else is going to explain about toy saddles and plastic manes? We were perplexed.

A guest was staying the other day and she commented that my kids were incredibly tolerant of such behaviour. They do not know it isn't normal because it is in this house!!.
    Lol! Perfectly normal behavior if you ask me.

I like Ineespenes’ suggestion of the four seasons.

My husband almost never compliments me on fragrances, he dislikes most of them. I’m wearing Azurée today, but I’m still in synch because many Basenoters like this fragrance, you are my Basenotes family.

So many great stories for this sync! Jujy, your story is beautiful! Love hearing about your brood too, Mumsy. Still can't get over Lilybelle's mom! My kind of diva!

Thank you, BellaRose! "Overly scented" is the polite phrase for what my family gatherings are like! Are you enjoying your Rose Kashmirie today?

Went with Burberry for women for the day, one of my sister in law's favorites. Tonight will be one the husband has actually complimented- No.5 EDP. I don't think he even recognizes the other concentrations when I wear them. To him, EDP is No.5. I tend to agree with him but I don't tell him that we're in the minority (by far!) on that. I figure, why burst his bubble?

My mother is a bit of a diva in her attitudes.
    Haha! So is mine! If I were to replicate my mother from my early memories, I would wear Chanel No. 5 parfum (because when she and my father were married, this is practically all she would wear). But I did not. Instead I chose what my husband bought me for Mother's Day last year~ Escale a Portofino by Dior. It was so nice with the crisp Spring day.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Blog Entries

Oh, these are such great lovely stories. All.

Feel super bad that I was out of sync Friday -- but I grabbed and wore Onda EDP which is neither a family favorite, nor a compliment getter (because I do not wear it a lot), but I did confirm that it smells a bit weird, esp. in the top notes, but I do like it a good deal.

I better get on the roll with the next one!

Guerlain is the most represented house in my collection thus my problem will sooner be "too much choice" than anything else. I'll either wear Terracotta Voile d'Ete, Heritage or Jicky from bottles or be more adventureous and put on something I know less well from one of my samples. No idea yet...

I am in the same boat as bonsai too many Guerlains, is there such a thing? LOL

Okay 180 Ans.
    DONNA

OK confession time. I am really short on choices today. I can admire many Guerlains, but I don't actually like them. I have Shalimar. I wore it for a previous synch and I really don't like it.....on me. I have some some Samsara, nah. If I was in town today I would skwooosh some Habit Rouge or Mouchoir de Monsieur happily but I am not in town today. So, it will have to be Shalimar Parfum Initial. I am sure the purists won't approve, but I really like it.

I have a few Guerlains. Almost went with Mitsouko, and then saw Jicky in the collection and my mind was made up. I admire this fragrance rather than love it - sometimes it smells divine on me, other times I can't get past the fecal note. I don't know if it's my mood, hormones, the weather or what. I guess it's changeability at least makes it interesting. Bravo Guerlain!

Had intentions of throwing you all off with some Mitsouko or Sous le Vent today. Honestly. But then I got up and it was just so darned cold this morning; gotta have my Shalimar. So here I am, my old predictable self, thinking of the lovely Rtamara and wishing she were here to Shalimar with me.

good morning everybody. today is a perfect day for Vetiver. it's not hot, but it's not too cold, but yet it's sunny. i hope that all of you have a great day. you all smell wonderful!!!

Hey y'all -

I'm in Chamade, vintage-70s parfum de toilette. I'm not the best Guerli-girl either - I like and own (or once owned) several of the older classics including L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Chant d'Aromes and Sous le Vent (so sorry to all the fans, but I have some bad associations with Jicky and Shalimar that I've never been able to shake) but my favorites are the newer offerings, starting with Chamade, L'Instant of course, and Iris Ganache. I like Samsara and Insolence a lot, too, as well as some of the Aqua Allegorias, and just find them so much more wearable than many of their venerated ancestors. At any rate, Chamade it is this morning - just perfect for this glorious spring day!

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Oh, such a lovely sync today: Shalimar--layered vintage extrait up to modern spritzes.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Not in synch today as I couldn't resist wearing the A La Nuit from the rehoming thread.

Will synch this evening but not sure what with yet. Can choose from Mitzi, Shalimar, Jicky, L'Heure Bleue or Meteorites or I could use the last of my L'Instant sample. Choices choices

Insolence edt…my latest addiction, raspberries & violets (and yes that weird hairspray impression, too, which I am loving), and a very sweet long lasting Guerlain drydown. Alicka sent me her bottle from the “Free to a Good Home” thread, and I am giving it LOTS of love. ♥

Blog Entries

I have decided to get out my prized Djedi. I am somewhat overwhelmed by this one. Do any of you know it? Basically it is warm, enveloping vetiver. It has a dusty, cement-like undertone which verges on the animalic. It's the animalic note that I struggle with. Sometimes it hits me just right, but sometimes it becomes a little heavy. I am beginning to notice some rose in there, maybe that adds to a cloying sensation. It's not altogether unpleasant but it kind of makes you feel like you're being smothered with a velvet sofa cushion soaked in vetiver.

Basenotes Plus

Kumquat-Thank you for sharing your impressions of one of the rarest Guerlains! A velvet cushion soaked in vetiver- so luxurious!
    We are experiencing a rare thunderstorm - I craved the spicy yet comforting Cologne du 68
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I have decided to get out my prized Djedi. I am somewhat overwhelmed by this one. Do any of you know it? Basically it is warm, enveloping vetiver. It has a dusty, cement-like undertone which verges on the animalic. It's the animalic note that I struggle with. Sometimes it hits me just right, but sometimes it becomes a little heavy. I am beginning to notice some rose in there, maybe that adds to a cloying sensation. It's not altogether unpleasant but it kind of makes you feel like you're being smothered with a velvet sofa cushion soaked in vetiver.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I put on Heritage EDT today - I have had the bottle for a while now but somehow never gotten around to wearing it. So today was the day. I am a bit disappointed though, I'd like more tobacco and more of the animalic notes of Jicky. It was also quite weak in spite of lots of generous spritzes. Basically I want Heritage to be Jicky with tobacco added. Maybe I should seek out the EDP and see it that fits the bill better.

Wow, Kumquat. No, I don’t know Djedi. Sounds very romantic. That’s what I love about the Guerlains – even this Insolence edt I’m wearing today – they always conjure up vivid visual imagery and make you feel sooo romantic, decadent, and a little dirty.

Blog Entries

I am with you all, friends, even though I cannot smell myself, almost not at all. I have Chant d'Aromes on for the sync and curse my cold! But the sync spirit is up and I am smiling! Good to be here with y'all.

PerfumedLady, love that your nose still gets what it wants. <3
    Foustie, we approve. I went through a tube of Shalimar Parfum Initial hand cream (btw, was a gift with my Chant d'Aromes purchase).

I wore Chamade edp. Wore it all week. Wearing it today. Birthday present.

Yummy Ratfink.

I was in synch, for a brief period, in Terracotta from a sample I got from the NOLA meetup, but I didn't like it very much, so had to scrub it and replaced it with ''Organza'' by Givanchy, because I thought it was a Guerlain. Yes I know, but I was still suffering from jetlag.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I was in synch, for a brief period, in Terracotta from a sample I got from the NOLA meetup, but I didn't like it very much, so had to scrub it and replaced it with ''Organza'' by Givanchy, because I thought it was a Guerlain. Yes I know, but I was still suffering from jetlag.
    Hi FrouFrou, which Terracotta were you trying? Voile d'Ete / Eau Sous le Vent / ...? T. Voile d'Ete is a big favourite of mine, one of the few fragrances I have backup bottles of.

bonsai, the sample just said 'terracotta''. I do think Guerlains are very elegant and sophisticated, but I like only a few of them. Maybe because I am absolutely allergic to Vanilla in a fragrance?
    I will have to try the different Terracottas then.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    bonsai, the sample just said 'terracotta''. I do think Guerlains are very elegant and sophisticated, but I like only a few of them. Maybe because I am absolutely allergic to Vanilla in a fragrance?
    I will have to try the different Terracottas then.
    Voile d'Ete is a warm carnation while Eau sous le Vent is a light tropical floral fragrance. Most Guerlains do contain vanilla which might indeed explain that you don't like them in general.