Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Do you wear after shave?

I have never purchased an after shave, but have been tempted lately to get one or more of the Guerlain ones. I don't really get what they are for though.

Do you wear after shave, and if so, is it only when wearing the matching fragrance?
    I don't get it - is the point to make your face smell?
    How long does the scent last?
    Are they worth it?
    Do you ever wear them just as a fragrance?

My guess is that the scent fades quickly, and the purpose is to sooth the face after shaving while giving you a whiff of the fragrance for a while you get ready to face the day.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Default Re: Do you wear after shave?

I understand their traditional utility is to shrink/close the pores after shaving, and to disinfect any small cuts. This is a crude way of doing both, for alcohol is not very good for the skin. It also gives a good barometer of how well you are shaving, for any microscopic injuries will sting - making you more careful. But alum is a somewhat better choice, as not alcohol-based. in modernity, anyway, I think there is no practical purpose for aftershaves. I prefer to use an unscented aftershave balm (which, on the neck, happens to give a better basis for scents to cling to).

Which leaves aftershaves' possible purpose of scent. They are a very weak concentration. I think Habit Rouge is a scent whose aftershave is occasionally admired? Personally, I don't wear them.

Post Thanks / Like

Fragrance aftershaves are usually too expensive for what they are: alcohol with a little bit of fragrance. If I want my face to smell like my SOTD, I simply mix a couple sprays of my SOTD with some unscented after shave balm in the palm of my hand and apply to the face.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dilney View Post
    Fragrance aftershaves are usually too expensive for what they are: alcohol with a little bit of fragrance. If I want my face to smell like my SOTD, I simply mix a couple sprays of my SOTD with some unscented after shave balm in the palm of my hand and apply to the face.
    I mix three sprays into neutral balm to get that effect.

To the OP - aftershaves' strength vary wildly. Some barely last an hour. Joop Homme aftershave splash lasts about two days.

In some countries or areas of countries it is not perceived to be manly to wear EDTs, but wearing aftershave splash is perfectly acceptable.

Some aftershave splashes don't sting, like Mennen Skin Bracer, Halston Catalyst, and most of the Trumper aftershave splashes. But designers keep opting for the standard stinging concoctions.

Because many aftershave splashes are near half the strength of their respective EDTs, if one gets them in a gift set say, they can be used as splash-on colognes. No one says one has to apply them to the face.
    Regards,
    Renato

When they are received as part of a gift set, I'll try them out, but usually wind up giving them away.

I have found that aftershave splash is better for my skin than balm. I don't shave every day, but when I do I tend to use Kouros aftershave splash, followed by two sprays of Kouros edt to the chest. The sensation of applying the aftershave is invigorating and bracing but does not sting.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a scented aftershave. I currently have and use Guerlain Vetiver, Cartier Roadster, and YSL L'homme.

Post Thanks / Like

I use L'Occitane aftershave balm which has a Hugh concentration of Cade.
    It's more of a moisturizer. Very creamy and refreshing.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't. I found it causes me to break out. The only things I will use are body washes and colognes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

nope ... fade too quickly ...

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope. Just a general lotion instead.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using Chanel after shave products. Their balms are great.
    I especially love the Egoiste one.
    Pefumed nicely and it projects for an hour or two.
    I tried a splash of Allure a while ago, as I always liked splashes years ago.
    But the alcohol really hurts these days, so the next one will be a balm again.
    Prolly Egoiste or maybe Antaeus / Bleu this time.

I find the concept of an aftershave a bit dated these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    I find the concept of an aftershave a bit dated these days.
    So has your face evolved now and doesn't require alcohol or similar to assist in closing pores now.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I've a couple of aftershaves (Knize Ten and CDG2Man Balm) that I use very rarely. Usually I apply an unscented moisturizing/refreshing lotion.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

The purpose of after shave is primarily to sooth and disinfect your face after a shave. The scent is just a bonus.

Wearing such a wide range of scents, I prefer not to wear one that is heavily scented. I finish shave with witch hazel, and Trumpers Skin Food. While the Skin Food is scented, it is a very fleeting scent that doesn't interfere with EdT.

I personally prefer balms to alcohol laden shaves. Some guys wear AS matched to their EdT. But once you have several scents, that's a real quandary trying to buy two bottles for everything.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aqua Velva Ice Blue on occasion, but as a cologne, not an aftershave.

I apply one of several Nivea Aftershave Balms post shave. They have a nice, light scent to them as well as being soothing to the face.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    So has your face evolved now and doesn't require alcohol or similar to assist in closing pores now.
    Yes I also have the ability to control Metal with my mind

I started using the Clinique 3 step products at the start of the year and would happily recommend them to anyone:
    http://www.clinique.co.uk/cms/produc...ystem_mpp.tmpl
    Last edited by Kron; 20th December 2011 at 03:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Unscented balm, in order not clash with the scent

I only get aftershave when it is part of a gift scent, and even then I rarely use it. Most AS splashes seem silly and pointless anymore, given the wide array of high quality beauty products available. I hardly even use the AS balms either, as they are generally mediocre moisturizers wedded to a fleeting scent. I tend to use those as a body lotions so I can use them up quickly and return to my normal routine of lotions and such.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

I started using the Clinique 3 step products at the start of the year and would happily recommend them to anyone:
    http://www.clinique.co.uk/cms/produc...ystem_mpp.tmpl
    I've been using the Clinique products for a while now, and I agree completely. I used to use the men's system, but recently switched to using the regular 3-step system, here.

You get more for your money, and the product seems to be exactly the same, regardless of what Clinique's marketing material says. You can also get a big set that includes travel sized versions of each that are a very good value, and the system comes in 4 versions for different skin types. The pump dispensers are much nicer on this set also. I keep a pump in the shower and a bar (which lasts longer) on the bathroom counter for washing in the evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Got two for free and I bought one.

I use them not very often, usually when I don't want wearing long (equal to or more than 6 to 8 hours) or mid lasting ( less than 4 hours) scents because of a whim or any particular circumstances.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I tried to create a survey to get some quantitiative results, but the server hung up when I was posting (that happens a lot, no?), and I can't seem to add a survey now.

Anyway, for my part, I usually shave with an electric and don't put anything on afterwards. Maybe I should be? A couple of times a week I shave with a cartridge shaver, and then apply an aftershave balm. I've been using the Acqua di Parma one, and its nice and refreshing, and doesn't last long enough to interfere with my SOTD.

I guess the sequence should be: wash face, exfoliate (?), shave, apply A/S balm, and moisturizer. Does that sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I've been using the Clinique products for a while now, and I agree completely. I used to use the men's system, but recently switched to using the regular 3-step system, here.

You get more for your money, and the product seems to be exactly the same, regardless of what Clinique's marketing material says. You can also get a big set that includes travel sized versions of each that are a very good value, and the system comes in 4 versions for different skin types. The pump dispensers are much nicer on this set also. I keep a pump in the shower and a bar (which lasts longer) on the bathroom counter for washing in the evening.
    Thats interesting to know thanks, I'll look into it when I've used my current lot.

Post Thanks / Like

[/url]
    Hahahahha good one
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using this the past year.
    It is suitable for my skin. Highly recommended.

Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Floris Eau de Santal aftershave splash, but only when I am wearing the edt (or the eau de parfum version) as well. Otherwise I use an unscented blam from Anthony Logistics and sometimes mix in a couple sprays of my SotD.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Well, I tried to create a survey to get some quantitiative results, but the server hung up when I was posting (that happens a lot, no?), and I can't seem to add a survey now.

Anyway, for my part, I usually shave with an electric and don't put anything on afterwards. Maybe I should be? A couple of times a week I shave with a cartridge shaver, and then apply an aftershave balm. I've been using the Acqua di Parma one, and its nice and refreshing, and doesn't last long enough to interfere with my SOTD.

I guess the sequence should be: wash face, exfoliate (?), shave, apply A/S balm, and moisturizer. Does that sound right?
    You have an odd sequence - since most of the exfoliating scrubs say to use them only a couple of times a week. I always treat the A/S balm as a moisturizer, and only apply moisturizer with sun protection factor if I know I'm going to spend two or more hours out in the sun.

The Aqua di Parma A/S balm you mention is the richest, most luxurious feeling one I've come across.

Renato

Post Thanks / Like

As my skin tends to be more on the oily side, I prefer using an after shave splash to a balm. It never stings me, but is rather bracing.

I currently have about 20 that match my EDT or EDP. My favourites are the YSL's, Chanel's, Dior's and Guerlains.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use clinique fragrance free aftershave and I wear my fragrance after. I figure it is hard to own the aftershave for each fragrance I own. I really recommend the clinique "post shave soother" or whatever it's called.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I've been using this the past year.
    It is suitable for my skin. Highly recommended.

That's the stuff!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    You have an odd sequence - since most of the exfoliating scrubs say to use them only a couple of times a week. I always treat the A/S balm as a moisturizer, and only apply moisturizer with sun protection factor if I know I'm going to spend two or more hours out in the sun.

The Aqua di Parma A/S balm you mention is the richest, most luxurious feeling one I've come across.

Renato
    I don't claim to know what I'm doing. That's why I started the thread . I'm open to suggestions.

The Clinique one I use says to wash, scrub with the 'clarifying lotion', which is basically an astringent (this is exfoliating, no?) then moisturize - twice a day. I only end up scrubbing about once every second day or so. I shave with a blade about twice a week. I always use the moisturizer, even days that I shave, since the balm doesn't seem to do enough, and only covers shaving zones. I've been trying to get in the habit of using sunscreen everyday now. The sun is strong here, and I hear more and more about people getting skin cancer.

I agree - the ADP shaving products are very nice!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I prefer the balm.....I use AS as a body splash.....Gary

I don't shave

i dont use aftershave splash, and the general advice I have received is that putting alcohol on your face straight after shaving causes irritation. I use cold water to "close my pores" lol. And then I use an unscented aftershave balm

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Gillette splash aftershave only because I like the scent. In other words I use it as a cologne.

Right now I am using nivea for men after shave balm and while it is good for my face I sometimes do not like the scent. I also have and love the American Crew post shave cooling lotion with eucalyptis and love it, I am thinking of getting an everyman jack unscented lotion though any thoughts?

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

i do not wear any but i wonder if it is worth it
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I don't. I prefer other face lotions instead.

Post Thanks / Like

I use unscented face lotions with SPF15 or better. They are basically moisturizers. I put them on my face just like I would an aftershave balm.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I do use some. I prefer Balms. Sometimes I use the after shave splash as a body Splash..huh!
    Still, I've few aftershaves like Narciso Rodriguez for Him, john Varvatos Original, Gucci pH, Gucci Envy, Bleu De Chanel & TdH.

unscented balm here, as well.

I do not. I have been using a trimmer (5 o'clock shadow all day, every day!) and find no use for aftershave.

I have a couple of AS from Escada Magnetism and Herrera for Men and a balm from Dreamer, which I apply strictly with the matching EDT's (and not necessarily after shaving) because I noticed they enhance the lasting duration and projection of the scent. Sometimes I use only AS when I stay at home. Usually, after a good shave, I combine an unscented balm with 1-2 sprays of desired fragrance and that's enough for me. Is it worth to buy an aftershave from a known house? I think no...the price could get you to a nice 25-30-50ml of that fragrance. Just my two cents.
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

Post Thanks / Like

Do I wear aftershave? Yes, when I can get it! I love the bracing feel of it and it it the best way to layer the same fragrance-- Yess Guerlain's are great (I use Vetiver as all the time) but so are so many, others

Post Thanks / Like

no, I was born after 1936.

Super Member freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to, but these days I don't because of their alcohol content. Is there any alcohol-free aftershave/balm that you folks would recommend? Thanks!

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I used to, but these days I don't because of their alcohol content. Is there any alcohol-free aftershave/balm that you folks would recommend? Thanks!

Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street.

I prefer to use an alum block, although I have a bottle of Habit Rouge AS which I use when I wear the EdT/EdP/Extrait.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I often use them as colognes.
    There are a few plus factors for me with aftershaves.
    1. They can be found incredibly cheaply sometimes, especially on ebay
    2. They can sometimes smell qualitatively better than the equivalent edt even though they usually have less staying power.
    3. They can add a subtle difference to ascent if layered with the edt.
    4. some, particularly old school aftershaves are more powerful with better longevity than the average edt. |Someone did a comparison which is still here on Basenotes somewhere which was quite interesting although still only included a relatively small number of frags.
    I would like to see a bit more discussion of this in the forums.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to use a light after shave balm that is alcohol-free. My face just can't take the alcohol and breaks out. Some notable good ones though that have quite a bit of 'oil' in them are Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere after shave lotion, Eau Sauvage and Tabac Original. The latter stings like hell though. The first two are very good and contain only a little alcohol.

Hang on -- what are we talking about here? After-shave isn't meant to be taken literally -- they are just watered down perfumes. Balms should be used to heal the skin or just good old water. Using after-shave directly after shaving is just wrong and potentially painful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkdogg View Post
    no, I was born after 1936.
    That's funny (as in I think that's clever).

My father-in-law (born in 1945) still wears AS, and my dad (1941) just switched to balm.

Post Thanks / Like

...no; my skin tolerates only cold water after shaving...!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lovescully View Post
    I currently have about 20 that match my EDT or EDP. My favourites are the YSL's, Chanel's, Dior's and Guerlains.
    I don't have that many, but I do enjoy collecting the various supporting products to my favourite scents, including aftershave splashes and balms. I only shave irregularly so don't get huge use out of them, but I enjoy them when I do.

Off the top of my head, I currently own a/s splashes for Polo and Acqua di Parma Barbiere, and balms for Polo, Polo Crest, AdP again and a couple of Tom Fords.....

....and how could I forget, Paul Smith London!

No way. I use Cereve unscented moisturizer.

Regards,
    Steve

I only use balms and I'll only wear the aftershave balm that matches my SOTD. I get way more projection with aftershave balms which I love. I like the idea of the unscented balms and spraying your SOTD and mixing it. I need to try that!!
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

"Do you wear after shave, and if so, is it only when wearing the matching fragrance?"

Yes, I wear it, and no, not only when wearing the matching fragrance. I sometimes use after shave splash or balm by itself, and sometimes with the matching EDT/EDP (Tom Ford Men, Tom Ford Extreme, and Terre d'Hermes to name a few.)

I've also been using the Nivea after shave balms for years . . . they soothe, moisturize and protect the skin and are generally inoffensive scentwise.

Zegna makes most of their after shave balms without alcohol. I have Essenza and Z . . . both smell and feel quite nice.

Cheers . . . Wally
    Last edited by Wally Swoboda; 11th October 2012 at 09:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have around 100 bottles of after-sha..oh wait.

+1 no and lotion.

Post Thanks / Like

Only aftershave I own is Joop! Homme. That stuff is probably more potent than the EDT. I decant mine into an atomiser.

Post Thanks / Like

As people have stated above the purpose of aftershave (alchohol) is to disinfect the skin and close the pores. Some also find it has a cooling or bracing effect. If you suffer from razor burn or rash then it can serve as an analgesic, but it's also likely to sting for some time first depending on how oily or dry your skin is. On the negative side alchohol can potentially dry out the skin, and some even say it can cause it to become scaly or tough. The bottom line though is millions of men used these products everyday for most of their lives and did not find them wanting. There's no reason to avoid it because it's old. It gets the job done. Of course if you prefer a balm of some sort that's effective as well and probably less painful. You really need to work out your own routine when it comes to these things. Something that suits you.

As far as fragrance is concerned others have covered this. An aftershave will be weaker than the corresponding EDT or Cologne, but that doesn't mean it's useless. Some EDTs are incredibly strong, even prohibitively so, which means the corresponding aftershave might actually have servicable longevity and projection. I own a few 220ml bottles of vintage Givenchy Gentleman aftershave for example and they are as strong and long-lasting as most of my modern EDTs. Though not as strong, or long-lasting as the vintage EDT itself. The scent is also a little deeper in the EDT which makes the aftershave more wearable in certain situations. Simmilarly the Obsession, Coriolan and Joop! Homme aftershaves are all viable fragrances. There are others I've come across, but I won't go into detail listing them all.

I use aftershave after shaving on occasion. It depends entirely upon my mood. Other times I use a splash of cold water followed by a post-shave balm. Sometimes I want to feel that stinging sensation and get a nice whiff of scent, but generally speaking I don't buy aftershaves for all my fragrances, and the ones I enjoy as fragrance are not for splashing on willy-nilly. For me the ideal aftershave is something with a limited longevity so I can splash it on and enjoy it, but not have it last too long and interfere with my fragrance of the day. It's something I might use on a lazy Sunday morning, or when on holiday when I have the luxury of time. I don't want it to last beyond midday.

That said generally I use EDC's instead of actual 'aftershave,' because the alchohol content is not that important (above 60% there is little difference in reducing bacteria count, and that's only relevant if you cut yourself and I use a stypic pencil on cuts which disinfects anyway) which at the moment means either CDG's Citrico, Vetiveru or Anbar, Eau du Coq, English Leather, Roger & Gallet's Vetiver or one of a few cheapy colognes by Mont St. Michel: Ambree, Rose, or Naturelle (Bergamot) which I like because they only last for about a half-hour, and they smell nice.