Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Honest Comparison of Dior Homme Vintage and Dior Homme Reformulation

Hello everyone,

I would call myself perhaps having very sensitive nose inherently. I am able to smell scents where no other people can sense them. As we walk on the street, there is always a smell in everything (I sense odors in weird things usually) so my friends call me "Jean Baptiste" because of the character in Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.

Frankly speaking, my nose is pretty much untrained. I can tell a slight difference between two accords but don't know their names. So I will try to explain my experience intuitively.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to smell both perfumes on my both wrists. Right wrist reformulation, left wrist old formulation. I both smelled them in an open area in a chilly night-awesome condition for a perfume to show itself. .

Top Notes: Old formulation has a killing factor in this. If you liked what Dior Homme was famous for (that maquillage smell), the new formulation top note does have it ONLY slightly. You still smell it behind the curtains but there is another smell upfront more cloying. It was harsh on my nose whereas the old version was very subtle with that awesome iris smell (I think that smell is called iris).

Middle Notes: Both of them get very close by smell (you still sense more iris in new old formulation but verrrryyy subtly more) !!BUT!! old formulation DOES have MUCH better sillage than the new version. The new version stays more close to skin.

Base Notes: Weirdly, the new formulation wins here... New formulation has BETTER longevity compared to the old one. It will project strangely at this stage but you do sense all that awesome blend! I said strange because you will keep smelling whips now and then. The old formulation whereas evaporated. I'm doing this test after 15 hours though!

OVERALL: I still like the old formulation more as it has better projection DURING MIDDLENOTES but the new one has a better longevity and slight better projection for base notes. Base notes still prevail that loved maquillage smell.

P.S. Yesterday I was out to buy Dior Homme Intense but because the new formulations are about to arrive all stores are out of this awesomeness. I can't compare it to the old formulation as I couldn't smell both at the same time.

Weirdly, yesterday instead I bought Givenchy Play Intense. Okay, honestly it's not an evolving perfume. It will not change much (you guys call it linear i think) BUT it does HAVE a magnetic smell that will attract femine attention. I think this perfume needs more attention. It is underrated. It should be because of the wrong promotion (cheap bottle, wrong promotion faces, etc). But I recommend those to try this smell in a cold open area.

Default Re: Honest Comparison of Dior Homme Vintage and Dior Homme Reformulation

I got Dior Homme when it first came out on the market, and I've found that that one is sufficient for my needs.

Banned

Default Re: Honest Comparison of Dior Homme Vintage and Dior Homme Reformulation

I share your enthusiasm for Play Intense by Givenchy ...

Thanks, Perhaps having very sensitive nose inherently!

And B.T.W. I agree with your assessment of Play Intense. It's a good one!

Banned

nice side-by-side too !

I too love Givenchy Play Intense!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I got Dior Homme when it first came out on the market, and I've found that that one is sufficient for my needs.
    Perhaps you are one of those lucky ones. I got as crazy as to think about asking the SA to give me the old bottle that they were displaying in a plastic cube but then I've bought Givenchy Play Intense. For sure, my next buy will be Dior Homme Intense or Gurlain L'instant de Guerlain Eau Extreme.

Guys, call me crazy if you wish! I still SMELL Dior Homme new formulation base notes after 48 hours! I took two showers and washed my hands multiple times. But I STILL SMELL IT! I know this is not normal! The last time this happened was with Guerlain Vetiver...

Isn't it crazy? If I stick my nose on my skin I smell a lot of it!

I have both the original and reformulated and noticed a difference in overal performace (sillage/longevity). The smell dries down to a similiar scent, however the opening blast of iris is very tamed in the reformulated version and just is not as heavy/full bodied of a scent as the vintage. I am glad i was able to score a 100ml bottle of the vintage couple weeks ago If anyone is intersted i have a 50ml vintage (silver stem) bottle BNIB avaiable for sale in my sale's thread.

Dependent

Ive got both the original and reformulation and i totally agree with you! Although the vintage has got more 'class' to it, the reformulation seems to have better projection and longevity. Since both dries down to almost the same base smell, i wouldnt mind having the reformulated version alone then again, i bought three vintage the moment i saw it haha! Took everything off the shelf though

As I've mentioned on the thread I started about Dior Homme recently, now that I'm able to compare a May 2011 bottle side-by-side with a November 2010 bottle (presumably the first, not the most recent reformulation), I'm noticing similar differences. The Nov 2010 may well have a bit more iris in the opening (lavender/bergamot seems more dominant in May 2011), but once the top burns off the newer bottle has a bigger, richer scent. It also seemed to last longer on me. I don't have the actual vintage (silver/silver) to compare to either of these, and I'd still be glad to get my hands on a bottle and find out it's just as rich as the newest one, but with emphasis on the iris.

Still, the conclusion I'm coming to is that I'm not sure why people are so worried about the new version (assuming my May 2011 bottle IS the new version) -- it's lovely.

If you wouldn't mind, i have about 10-20ml left from 07. If you liked, i could just decant it and send to you for a comparison.

I have two vintage bottles from Feb 2010 (silver to silver) and I recently purchased the reformulation bottle at neiman marcus. I agree with several posts on here that the iris is definitely toned down in the reformulation. With the vintage you get that strong iris in the top. With that said the drydowns are quite similiar...still a great scent for sure....

@checker: Out of curiosity, what's the date code on your reformulation bottle (the one from Neiman's)? I'm wondering if it's the same juice as my more-recent one.

I'm starting to suspect that the first reformulation is a rather tepid "in-between" -- my Nov. 2010 bottle doesn't have the richness or longevity of the May 2011, and from what I've read the original DH formulation didn't lack in richness. I also saw some Basenoters describing this first reformulation as "watered down lipstick." I'm tempted to keep the more-robust May 2011 bottle and also track down the vintage juice. The other version just seems too light somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    @checker: Out of curiosity, what's the date code on your reformulation bottle (the one from Neiman's)? I'm wondering if it's the same juice as my more-recent one.

IR02 (April 2011) it's black stem with silver top...definitely the reformulation

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    IR02 (April 2011) it's black stem with silver top...definitely the reformulation
    I'm wearing my May 2011 version again today. It's great stuff! Certainly not lacking for iris; it's right there. I'm glad I went with this rather than the first reformulation. And a bottle of vintage is on its way.

I'm wearing my May 2011 version again today. It's great stuff! Certainly not lacking for iris; it's right there. I'm glad I went with this rather than the first reformulation. And a bottle of vintage is on its way.
    Yeh the reformulation is great, compared to my Feb 2010 bottles (silver to silver), the iris is just a bit weaker but the drydown is essentially the same. Demachy certainly didn't butcher the reformulation. Does your May 2011 have the black stem with silver top or is it all black?

Yeh the reformulation is great, compared to my Feb 2010 bottles (silver to silver), the iris is just a bit weaker but the drydown is essentially the same. Demachy certainly didn't butcher the reformulation. Does your May 2011 have the black stem with silver top or is it all black?
    My May 2011 is black straw, silver collar.

My May 2011 is black straw, silver collar.
    What other Dior Homme bottle do you have to compare it to? To me the iris is toned down in our bottles but still A great scent indeed..

What other Dior Homme bottle do you have to compare it to? To me the iris is toned down in our bottles but still A great scent indeed..
    I briefly had a bottle from November 2010 (first reformulation, black collar and straw), which maybe had less lavender than the newest version, but also lacked the richness and longevity of the new one. This led me to assume the first reformulation was a sort of tepid middle ground between the vintage (which I'm looking forward to finally smelling) and the latest formulation. That first reformulation just seemed too quiet.

Dependent

Congrats with the vintage bottle! Let us know how you feel about the vintage vs the may bottle that you have. By the way, you feel that the May bottle is better than the Nov bottle? I have a Jan 2011 bottle but I've not used it. Although I've tested the vintage and reformulated side by side before. If the May bottle is better than the Nov batch, I might head down and give the newer ones a shot
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by teemas View Post
    Congrats with the vintage bottle! Let us know how you feel about the vintage vs the may bottle that you have. By the way, you feel that the May bottle is better than the Nov bottle? I have a Jan 2011 bottle but I've not used it. Although I've tested the vintage and reformulated side by side before. If the May bottle is better than the Nov batch, I might head down and give the newer ones a shot
    Yep indeed -- briefly there I had both my May 2011 bottle (most recent formulation) and the November 2010 bottle (first reformulation, right after vintage) and after comparing them side-by-side several times, found the May 2011 version more robust, longer lasting, and with better projection. The most recent one has more bergamot and lavender, yes, but the iris is still very much there. By contrast the Nov 2010 felt subdued and a bit quieter. I DO recommend the new formulation, at least compared to that first reformulation. I'll let you guys know how the new one compares directly against the vintage (my guess is: the vintage will have a bit more iris while also being robust).

Dependent

Yep indeed -- briefly there I had both my May 2011 bottle (most recent formulation) and the November 2010 bottle (first reformulation, right after vintage) and after comparing them side-by-side several times, found the May 2011 version more robust, longer lasting, and with better projection. The most recent one has more bergamot and lavender, yes, but the iris is still very much there. By contrast the Nov 2010 felt subdued and a bit quieter. I DO recommend the new formulation, at least compared to that first reformulation. I'll let you guys know how the new one compares directly against the vintage (my guess is: the vintage will have a bit more iris while also being robust).
    Awesome! Please remember to update might get the latest one if its better in some ways or another. Maybe i should give the Jan bottle a try
    Current Top 5:
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir

I'd have to assume that your January 2011 bottle is that "middle ground" first reformulation. Not bad at all, but certainly lacked longevity compared to the most recent stuff. I'd be curious to hear what you think. My vintage should arrive tomorrow, thanks to persianprince. Looking forward to it. I really did a 180 on DH. I remember first smelling it at Sephora and thinking "oh, no no no, that really is makeup. That won't work." Now I think it's just beautiful: fresh, sophisticated, smooth, and yet distinct. It makes a statement without being loud and crass about it. :-)

Dependent

Hahaha alright I will give the Jan bottle a try tonight beside the vintage and I will let you know hows the longevity and sillage like when compared.

Actually the first time I tried it at Sephora, I just fell in love with it. Its exactly how you put it, smooth, sophisticated and classy. And if I didnt recall wrongly, it was the reformulated one which I first tried. At that time, I was reading a little here and there on this forum but I never knew there was a reformulation hahaha. When I read about it sometime back, I went mad and started looking for a vintage bottle. When I finally found it and bought three bottles, yes three! I then realised it only the 'opening' thats really different. Other than that, they are pretty much the same after an hour or so. I came to a final conclusion that I will still love it regardless of the batch. Its probably the best designer frag I've ever came across
    Current Top 5:
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir

Quote Originally Posted by teemas View Post
    Its exactly how you put it, smooth, sophisticated and classy.
    +1
    I'd say its very creamy , wet , waxy - wonderfully blended addicting smell.
    The original formulation has those vibes more dominantly than the following reformulations

I'd have to assume that your January 2011 bottle is that "middle ground" first reformulation. Not bad at all, but certainly lacked longevity compared to the most recent stuff. I'd be curious to hear what you think. My vintage should arrive tomorrow, thanks to persianprince. Looking forward to it. I really did a 180 on DH. I remember first smelling it at Sephora and thinking "oh, no no no, that really is makeup. That won't work." Now I think it's just beautiful: fresh, sophisticated, smooth, and yet distinct. It makes a statement without being loud and crass about it. :-)
    Bottle should be there buddy...enjoy

Dependent

Hey man I'm back with a short review. Tested the Jan 2011 bottle and I think its almost like how you described your May 2011 bottle. I dont see it as being weak at all in terms of longevity even when compared to the vintage. As we know, the first reformulation started in July 2010. I assume from the second week till probably Dec 2010, it was the 'middle ground' you've identified. Start Jan 2011 it could be the new batch which we are enjoying now
    Current Top 5:
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir

Dependent

Im sorry to bring this thread back. But i was actually wondering if anyone has the black/black version of Dior Homme? We had been comparing the vintage (silver/silver) and the first reformulation (silver/black) and noticed that the dry down is pretty much the same except for their opening. But how about the black/black version? Did anyone manage to do a side by side test as well? Heard that the black/black version is probably the worse. And im even thinking of stocking the silver/black before every counters in my country becomes black/black!
    Current Top 5:
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir

Is there any way to tell which version you are getting from the unopened box?

Just to clarify, the most recent formulation comes with a silver collar and black stem. The black/black version will almost certainly be the middle formulation, which I found quieter compared to either the vintage or the most current version.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Iceyburnz View Post
    Is there any way to tell which version you are getting from the unopened box?
    You may refer to this http://www.basenotes.net/threads/290...roduction-Code
    As for the timeline, you must wait for checker or crvn to inform you. I cant seem to find the post hahaha.

Just to clarify, the most recent formulation comes with a silver collar and black stem. The black/black version will almost certainly be the middle formulation, which I found quieter compared to either the vintage or the most current version.
    black/black is the middle one? i remember crvn or checker posting that black/black should be the most recent ones and the sequence is something like
    -silver/silver
    -silver/black
    -black/black
    Current Top 5:
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir

Yeah, all those dishonest comparisons were just too... dishonest!
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Nope, the newest ones being produced are silver collar with black stem. I have a bottle manufactured May 2011 that is silver/black. That one, by the way, has a more robust presence than a black/black bottle I tried from November 2010.

^ are you sure?
    I've never read anywhere that black/black came before silver/black.
    I had silver/black around june that I sold because it smelled too weak compared to silver/silver vintage
    From what I read on this forum, it's always been silver/silver, silver/black, and then black/black

I don't know the chronology of these versions, but my brother has a black/black bottle. It smells pretty different from the vintage at the opening - there is definitely some citrus or fruit in there. It smells fresher with much less iris.

To be honest, the black/black smells similar to the discontinued Dior Homme Cologne. With similar notes, I almost view the black/black DH as a slightly heavier, longer-lasting Dior Homme Cologne - almost as if they combined the vintage DH and the Cologne into one. Definitely smells very different from the iris-heavy silver/silver bottles.

I'm quite sure. The newest bottles are silver collar, black stem.

I'm quite sure. The newest bottles are silver collar, black stem.
    I have more knowledge regarding the Dior Homme intense reformulation. I have a April 2011 bottle of DH and it's black stem silver top, but the tester at the store was black on black. I think that one is the true Demachy reformulation, and it has to be after the April 2011 bottle I have. I do have a vintage bottle from Feb 2010 and it's slightly stronger than my April 2011 batch.

hmm looks like i have to try the black/black combo then.
    silver/black was pretty bad so black/black's gotta be better than that i guess

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    I don't know the chronology of these versions, but my brother has a black/black bottle. It smells pretty different from the vintage at the opening - there is definitely some citrus or fruit in there. It smells fresher with much less iris.

To be honest, the black/black smells similar to the discontinued Dior Homme Cologne. With similar notes, I almost view the black/black DH as a slightly heavier, longer-lasting Dior Homme Cologne - almost as if they combined the vintage DH and the Cologne into one. Definitely smells very different from the iris-heavy silver/silver bottles.

Please share with us the batch number on the bottom of the bottle, thanks !

Please share with us the batch number on the bottom of the bottle, thanks !
    I'll ask him and find the production date.

Quote Originally Posted by crvn View Post
    hmm looks like i have to try the black/black combo then.
    silver/black was pretty bad so black/black's gotta be better than that i guess
    I don't think the silver black is bad at all compared to the silver/silver. It lasts just as long but the iris is slightly toned down, but by no means absent..

Okay, the black/black my brother has is 0x02 - October 2010 production date.

I think the new silver/black is a beautiful fragrance, with a robust feel, that distinct iris note intact, and good longevity. I have the vintage to compare it with, and while the vintage does indeed open with more iris, there's no shame in the new one; they're very similar. The one that actually disappointed me was the more watery, fainter "middle" formulation (mostly the black/black ones).

I think the new silver/black is a beautiful fragrance, with a robust feel, that distinct iris note intact, and good longevity. I have the vintage to compare it with, and while the vintage does indeed open with more iris, there's no shame in the new one; they're very similar. The one that actually disappointed me was the more watery, fainter "middle" formulation (mostly the black/black ones).
    I agree it's excellent, so the black/black is older than the black/silver.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Okay, the black/black my brother has is 0x02 - October 2010 production date.
    wow thanks, they totally marketed the DH reformulaton differently than the DH intense line which was reformulated in May 2011. Not to be off subject, but they did well with the DHI reformulation, it's just slightly sweeter and weaker than the vintage but not by much. I inititally though the black/black DH was the TRUE reformulation but if your telling me it's from OCt 2010, then i'm wrong...

I know this makes things more confusing, but from what I understand, there WAS a period of silver collar/black stem after the vintage, but before the black/black. Now the latest bottles are back to the silver/black. The best guideline: if it's silver/silver, it's vintage. Enjoy! If the manufacture code shows a date from around May 2011 onward (which should be silver/black), you've got the latest formulation, which is arguably an improvement on the first reformulation, and is great stuff -- so, again, enjoy!

The new version opens up with an alcoholic note that I dislike at all. The drydown is more sintetic than the old formula, almost the same projection but with less quality, in my opinion.

I prefer the old formula by far. To see the difference you just have to smell the atomizer and check the aroma. The old version smell is nice, but the new formula smell is alcoholic.
    - A lot of people thinks that they live when the only thing they do is simply exist.

So I just got my bottle of DHI and checked the date. It was manufactured in sept 2011. It's black/black. I compared the smell to the sample I have from the perfume court and my bottle smelled slightly stronger. I REALLY had to take deep breaths to smell the difference though. They both smell amazing though. I haven't gotten to the dry down yet, since I sprayed them literally 10mins ago. I'll post my results in an hour or so. And I'll post which one smells stronger tomorrow morning. I already showered so it was sprayed on fresh skin

Yep, my bottle is definitely stronger. I sprayed my bottle first and the sample second. The sample is already wearing off. The perfumed court must have the black/silver bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos10704 View Post
    So I just got my bottle of DHI and checked the date. It was manufactured in sept 2011. It's black/black. I compared the smell to the sample I have from the perfume court and my bottle smelled slightly stronger. I REALLY had to take deep breaths to smell the difference though. They both smell amazing though. I haven't gotten to the dry down yet, since I sprayed them literally 10mins ago. I'll post my results in an hour or so. And I'll post which one smells stronger tomorrow morning. I already showered so it was sprayed on fresh skin

Sept 2011 of Dior Homme or Dior Homme intense??

Dior Homme Intense.... Code 1w01

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos10704 View Post
    Dior Homme Intense.... Code 1w01
    Ohh we were talking about the original Dior Homme. As far as the intense goes, you have the reformulation. I don't know if you ever smelled the vintage but there isn't a huge difference between the two. Just slightly sweeter and sillage is a bit weaker than vintage DHI. Enjoy the cologne, it's a masterpiece for sure..

Oh! Lol whoops. I see so many posts and discussions about the difference in DHI vintage and DHI reform updated that I completely overlooked the title. Thanks though, DHI smells Great. Reformulated or not. I'm not a fan of DH though... Waaaayyy too much lipstick

Dependent

Im lost! I have a jan 2011 bottle thats silver/black. So now every other bottles and the final reformulation will be silver/black? Cos i thought i saw a black/black sometime back but i didnt manage to try it cos my girlfriend pulled me away! The reason why i brought this up again is becos in my country, some counters still have the vintage testers. But when i look through the stock before buying, they will all be 2011 batches. Now i have to find out which one should i be looking out for.

I wouldnt mind both the vintage and the one which onethinline is talking about.
    Current Top 5:
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir

Sorry, I don't have time to read all the posts but.....
    1. Is the Dior homme reformulation worth owning?
    2. What's the big change in it?
    3. Is it ok for any age group?

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Me too.. I think it's one of the best scents I've ever smelled in my life
    Current top 3:
    1) Gucci Pour Homme II
    2) Givenchy Play Intense
    3) Dolce & Gabbana The One

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Sorry, I don't have time to read all the posts but.....
    1. Is the Dior homme reformulation worth owning?
    2. What's the big change in it?
    3. Is it ok for any age group?
    I own the reformulated version from January 2011 and I've sampled the vintage silver stem formulation, so here's my $.02

1. Is it worth owning? I think so but that's IMHO.
    2. What's the big change? To me, the vintage lasted longer and was somehow smoother and more elegant. The new one is no dud however and the smell is virtually the same. The lipstick note may be a little less pronounced but the cocoa note is heavenly.
    3. Is it good for any age group? I'd say it's good for people in their 20's and up. It's not something I could have seen myself wearing as a teenager, but that's IMHO.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I tested some in summer 2011. I bought a bottle a few weeks ago. Will these be a different formulation?