Code of Conduct
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Default Re: Blind Sniffs in 2012

Hi guys & gals ! .... I've been meaning to ask about participating on your 'Blind Sniffs' - however never seemed to get round to it. ... So what are the chances of participating in the July BS ?? - (Or am I already far too late for that one ??)

... If so , then how about the August one then ?? ... ( Please let me know what I will need to know/do etc. )

And thank you very much !! ~ Looking forward to hearing from you 'guys'.

Oh P.S. >>> Am also more than fine with hosting a few in future. ... (Oh, and what exactly does a "co-host" do ?? )

P.P.S. >>> ... Ah forgot to ask - are these reserved to US only ?? (Or would the fact that I'm in UK pose a problem ?)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 30th June 2012 at 07:12 PM.

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

Basenotes Institution

First of, Happy Belated Birthday -- I know you are on the same day as me and Sir Paul McCartney.

Second, thanks for accepting the invitation. I think July is all booked up, and we were taking a break in May and June (due to the hosts' personal reasons), but I think we need one sniffer for the round hosted by FrouFrou (was supposed to be in June and hopefully it will take place either at the end of July or in August). If not, you are the first for the sniff that I will be hosting, hopefully again. Trust me, it is great fun, even greater education. It does not cost $50 a pop as compared to the bottles from CBurr.

Everybody, ladies and gentlemen throughout the world, is welcome, we have had both hosts and sniffers from Turkey (same person, twice) and Australia (twice).

I have never heard from Bella Rosa, and so there's still a set of samples waiting for somebody to participate in the June sniff which will take place sometime this year.
    So please pm me with your address and I will send it on!

PS, I am back in the Netherlands again!
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Greetings all,

I have my lovely samples from Frou-Frou--so for now just hold on to them and await instructions for our sniff? I must hide them from myself to NOT open! They are in my alchemy cabinet in safe keeping.

Just let me know details and when we have everything planned.

K
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Blog Entries

Sybarite, sounds like you're in with FrouFrou for one of the Summer sniffs!

FrouFrou, when do you think there will be a good time to host the "June" sniff? We're on for July 10th for the July one, so the sniff in June will be later than the one in July, but something like that or close enough had happened before. Let's decide on the dates!

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa, my post actually posted and right after it BN went down again. So since you have probably didn't have a chance to see it, I bump and copy in the PM to Sybarite and FrouFrou. So when do we plan to sniff, FF?

And Haunani, are we still on for July 10 with our July sniff? I am ready to go, trying not to even look at my package!

- - - Updated - - -

Haunani, could you please start a thread for the July sniff?
    Or do you plan the Most Ultimate Suspense and we'll get the thread tomorrow when the sniff if scheduled to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Haunani, could you please start a thread for the July sniff?
    Or do you plan the Most Ultimate Suspense and we'll get the thread tomorrow when the sniff if scheduled to start?
    Hi Warum! I believe we are starting the July Sniff this Thursday, July 12, as darkdreams will be back home that night from her trip. I will start a thread this afternoon and ask our Shades to "sticky" it beginning on Thursday!

Blog Entries

H., I'll be in Portland leading the workshop on the 12th, so I may or may not be back by the evening, but starting Friday I'm all over it!

H., I'll be in Portland leading the workshop on the 12th, so I may or may not be back by the evening, but starting Friday I'm all over it!
    It's so tricky getting one day that all can attend, but perhaps we'll start that evening for those who can, and continue in the morning? I'll plan to check in late afternoon Pacific time on the 12th. I'm looking forward to our sniff!

I will be out of town from 14-22 of July--beach time! But, I will take the samples with me, and my laptop, in case our belated June sniff happens during that time.

A blind sniff at the beach would be divine! Just let me know dates and plans.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

There is now a separate thread for our May Sniff in July! We will begin Thursday evening.

Blind sniffs. Will stay tuned!
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Just in case, but I hope everyone knows:
    May sniff in July is on right now,
    Haunani/Jujy54: OVincze, Darkdreams and Warum.

The June sniff may be happening in end of July or August:
    FrouFrou/Ovincze: KarmaLee, cestum nocturnum and Sybarite(?)

Oops, I'm sorry for this belated reply - I thought I was automatically following this thread. However I missed these replies altogether somehow (?) - till now ...

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    First of, Happy Belated Birthday -- I know you are on the same day as me and Sir Paul McCartney.

Second, thanks for accepting the invitation. ... [snip] ... Trust me, it is great fun, even greater education. ... [snip] ...
    And so first of : ... THANK YOU so very much Twolf for those thoughtful BDay wishes. Even well belated ones are much appreciated !! ... And might I add : "right back at cha mate" ... Nice to know I have a "Twin-BDay-BNoter" around here. (It aint as sad getting older with some company I'm sure - heh, heh.)

And thanx too for the warm welcome to the 'Blind-Sniffs' ! ... I'm pretty sure I will indeed enjoy them. Hopefully the belated "June" one it seems !??

...[snip]...
    The June sniff may be happening in end of July or August:
    FrouFrou/Ovincze: KarmaLee, cestum nocturnum and Sybarite(?)
    And yep, once again thanx to Warum for organising my "sign-up". ~ And also thanx to FrouFrou for the samples she's going to send me. ... AND ... Bring on "June" Blind-Sniff ! ~ Looking forward to it !

I imagine we still don't have set dates for that quite yet do we ???

Also ... I have another question. ... Do you 'peeps' need a host for the August or September Sniff ?? ... If not then I will gladly volunteer to host that one.

Plus another thing that I'm still pretty confused about that I'm hoping one of you will clue me up on. - What exactly is the purpose of a "CO-HOST" in these Blind-Sniffs ?? Somehow, call me 'thick', but I can't seem to work out their exact function ??? (Tho' I imagine it will make perfect sense once I'm told.)

Cheers, thanx all !!

Blog Entries

A-ha! Great, I'm glad you're following the thread now, Sybarite!
    I have the same issue -- this thread's comments don't come to my mail. I must've subscribed to it 100 times, and still no. Arrggghh.

So, usually we have one be a sniffer first (sniffers understand best how the sniffs work) and then be a host. Hopefully, FF will come back soon (she needs to sort some things out, so we will be patient) and y'all set the date for the belated June Blind Sniff. And then we will be happy to have you as a host. We will need to be looking for sniffers. I know meowmo wanted to sniff in August and said she could, so there's one.

As for a co-host, TWolf, check on me and please fill in the blanks if I am leaving them.
    A co-host is a person who helps the host working on a theme and knows the fragrances of the sniff and the list of their notes. Sometimes but not always a co-host helps providing fragrances (one time when I was a co-host I submitted 2 out of 4 fragrances for the sniff, another time when I was a host my co-host TWolf provided a rare discontinued vintage for the sniff, another time I was a co-host and DD provided all fragrances).
    Most often a co-host and host divide online time. When we have a sniff sometimes it can be a bit unpredictable when the sniffers will guess and how long it will take them to guess. It is easier to have two people who know the frags info be in touch with the sniffers who are asking questions and want the notes (and/or other fragrance info) confirmed.

Again, Wolfie, did I cover the co-host issue sufficiently? Please discuss everything I have forgotten to mention.

Yep, mine didn't come to mail either. Thankfully you PM'd me, otherwise I might've still been thinking I was being ignored for the sniffs (LOL) ... As for the "co-host" question : Aha ! Thanx W' ! - That does indeed make sense. So it's basically the : "two hands are better than one" function. (Or in this case 4 better than 2 ). I imagine sharing the responsibility would indeed make things run smoother.

And sorry, I may not have explained myself properly, but what I meant was to host the sniff after I participate in this next "June" sniff, not actually before even doing so. Otherwise yes I imagine I would indeed be totally lost, and make a total "pigs ear" of it all.

I do however have two lovely rare vintage fumes that I'm willing to donate towards my "host-sniff", already in the pipe-line. ... Just putting it out there.

Basenotes Institution

You are welcome, Sybarite!

W., nice job on moderating this thread, thanks! (why oh why do I keep looking at the first page, post #2 though? *sigh*)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Yep, mine didn't come to mail either. Thankfully you PM'd me, otherwise I might've still been thinking I was being ignored for the sniffs (LOL)
    I'm glad I did! Nope, we do not turn people down here nor ignore them. Now we all just need to hear from FrouFrou. I know she'll mail you the samples as soon as she gets going.

W., nice job on moderating this thread, thanks! (why oh why do I keep looking at the first page, post #2 though? *sigh*)
    Thanks!
    Post #2... a-ha, I see whatchya sayin'. Will do this week. And it will still be in July.

Basenotes Institution

Glad you are back and active full-choke.

I love being a sniffer and I see you are a fellow citizen Sybarite, so we could host together if you like.... although it may make more sense to have a Brit paired with an American for round the clock hosting.

Anyway, I'm game to play sniffs any old how.....
    Currently wearing: Montecristo by Masque

Blog Entries

Mumsy, would you like to sniff as well or are you only interested in hosting? If you're interested in sniffing, then it would be nice for Sybarite to mail some samples domestic and yes, have a US co-host for a round the clock online access.

We can start planning the next sniff. Meowmo was waiting patiently to get in. You may be sniffing with her in whatever is the next sniff, Mumsy!

No sniffing!

We need to get a date settled, will all sniffers for the June (ahem) sniff post which weekends they are available? We will pick a date which will please us all. I am keeping the next few weekends free until we know which weekend we are going to choose.
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Blog Entries

Perfect, FrouFrou!
    You've already mailed Sybarite's samples, right?

Basenotes Junkie cestrum nocturnum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    No sniffing!

We need to get a date settled, will all sniffers for the June (ahem) sniff post which weekends they are available? We will pick a date which will please us all. I am keeping the next few weekends free until we know which weekend we are going to choose.
    Hi there! I don't have any upcoming plans beyond the usual weekend errands and going out at night. I can work the sniff in between these fairly easily, I think. Bf has been wanting to take a jaunt up the coast, but we have not made any set plans as of yet.

I have the June sniff samples sequestered away just waiting for the event to begin! Any weekend is good for me, but would prefer it be before mid-August--my classes start back then and I get a bit overwhelmed with new students at the start of a semester.

Any weekend before then is great, and after that will work, I just might not be as happy go lucky! I will be traveling some for pleasure before then, but can take my laptop and the samples.

So excited! Can't wait to get started, and a bit scared I will never get the notes or guess correctly.
    W. Somerset Maugham

I'm excited too, and I will be ok with pretty much any weekend you 'guys' choose. ....

Now, .... I just have to wait for my samples to finally reach me. ~ Can't wait, ... (I'm not very patient with an-ti-ci-pa-tion ...)

EDIT : P.S. ... And what the hell is wrong with BN's 'alert system' ?? I think it is seriously sick or something. ... I keep getting alerts for posts that have "just been" posted, only to find they were posted already days or even weeks ago. Or alerts for "new messages", that I've already answered days ago. What the hell's going on ???
    Last edited by Sybarite; 30th July 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Happy August 1st!

Warum, thanks for having updated the list of fragrances that we have all sniffed up to date. Thanks to cestrum nocturnum for going through the trouble of compiling the list for 2012.

In the light of the recent posts on Industry Discussion and Chandler Burr's blind sniffs, there might be some interest to our sniffs as more and more members are thinking it is a great idea in general. One member is proposing for $15 a month he would receive four vials, one of each of designer, niche, budget and odd-ball scents and sniff away and there were some voices of support. I told them the activity already exists and it is FREE of charge.

- - - Updated - - -

FrouFrou, what's the latest in August Blind Sniffing?

Any volunteers to sniff in September?

Anybody interested in co-hosting with me?

Happy August 1st!

Warum, thanks for having updated the list of fragrances that we have all sniffed up to date. Thanks to cestrum nocturnum for going through the trouble of compiling the list for 2012.

In the light of the recent posts on Industry Discussion and Chandler Burr's blind sniffs, there might be some interest to our sniffs as more and more members are thinking it is a great idea in general. One member is proposing for $15 a month he would receive four vials, one of each of designer, niche, budget and odd-ball scents and sniff away and there were some voices of support. I told them the activity already exists and it is FREE of charge.

- - - Updated - - -

FrouFrou, what's the latest in August Blind Sniffing?

Any volunteers to sniff in September?

Anybody interested in co-hosting with me?
    Hi guys, I found you through the above mentioned threads I'd like to participate and/or organize. I do prefer unisex or male fragrances though That's why I was wondering if the sniffs here are mostly female oriented? Nevertheless I'd love to simply sniff and enjoy with a blindfold

Please lmk if there is anything I could do to help out?
    @SomethingSmelly

Do we still not have a date for our June sniff? Samples in hand and awaiting the news to GO.

k
    W. Somerset Maugham

Basenotes Institution

Warum, what's the latest with FrouFrou? Please contact her and let us all know, we are all ready to go here.

Irina, welcome to Blind Sniffs. To answer your question -- yes, more than 50 per cent of all the fragrances we have sniffed are marketed towards women, but who said that Guerlain Sous le Vent or La Perla Blue is for ladies only? We have also had rounds with Masculines/Unisex scents only -- in the recent memory the one hosted by saripatates of Turkey. (You can see the whole updated list of everything sniffed blind in Post #2 of this thread, on the very first page).

- - - Updated - - -

The sniffing paradigm that has worked well for us in the past is:
    1) first you are sniffer, it is your rite of passage to the next levels;
    2) once you have sniffed you can either co-host (it is helpful to see how things work) or host yourself if you feel confident enough. But, once again, there are no rules set in stone.

I guess, I have got me a first sniffer for September -- Irina. I would need two more sniffers and a co-host, please sign up here or in a PM. Warum, when you have a chance, please make a chart for the rest of the year where the hosts and sniffers are all shown in connection with a particular month. I would also like this thread being somewhere on the first page so we can have more participation, because if Chandler Burr is doing the similar thing now, why shouldn't we? We were firster, in fact. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

FrouFrou, I have checked last time you were on BN was July 22. If you are having a request -- like in #381 of July 20th -- why not check the responses more often (not that we had any :-( .) *smile, too*

Anyhow, Frou's sniffers -- KarmaLee, Sybarite and who else? Meow? -- what dates will work best for you? It does not have to be a weekend at all, just assign a week, please.
    August 6th week?
    August 13th week?
    August 20th week?
    August 27th week?

Thanks, Twolf I would happily sniff FrouFrou's too Whatever is easiest is alright with me
    @SomethingSmelly