Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Default Re: Blind Sniffs in 2012

That is just keen enthusiasm. Not mistakes.

Phewwie
    Customized consultancy on olfactory branding, design & research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

Yes, yes, agreed, many thanks to Twolf! I'm thinking you are correct there, Irina, these must be some serious scents. If it was, say, Justin Beiber's travesty of a perfume, we'd be getting gallons of it.

- - - Updated - - -

So are all of us sniffers in different countries? This should be interesting. Time zones are fun!

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

Yes, we are all from the different countries: you are from the USA, cacio and I are European transplants living in the USA, Irina is in the Netherlands (although she is not entirely Dutch, I figured), and Sybarite is in the UK.

TIme zones are not a problem, have never been.

We are waiting for you and Sybarite to post on the dedicated thread, please?

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

Oh no! I missed it! Sorry! I was waiting for y'all. Duh. Smack me.

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

I was trying to organize the october blind sniff (tempatively after oct 15). Irina is on board, and cestrum and mumsy have replied. Karmalee has not been heard from for a while. Is she still around?

cacio

Blog Entries

Cacio and I talked via PMs about KarmaLee and decided to wait for her to appear. Cacio PMed her, I left a visitor message so hopefully we've got it covered.
    She may think that we have fallen off the face of the earth because she was in the June-August-*** sniff
    I hope she'll be back, and I also will try to be sure that whenever she is back she'll have a spot to play.

What's the situation on the Blind Sniffin front in general?

Any news from FrouFrou?

Who is sniffing in October? (dates, preferences, out of towns?)

What's the process for November?

Hopefully mid october.... one sniffer reporting in for duty... UK

Nov... can do host/co host/sniffer if you like... would love to.....

This next line is from the very first updated post on the very first page of this thread:

October: cacio/Irina: mumsy, KarmaLee, cestrum nocturnum

Since KarmaLee sort of fell out of the whole chain of events, we will probably need another sniffer. If any designated November sniffers would like to participate, please let us all know (Alvus or forfreddie?)

Well, it is less than a week until October. I PMed Warum yesterday and there is no response still. How is it going, guys? Are you working on the theme/fragrances/details? Do you have everyone's addresses, cacio?

I have not really dropped out? Maybe I lost connection to the forum? Did it move? I pm'd my address to Cacio, but if it came in too late, not a problem.

I am currently out of town, away from home, have surgery 8 hours from home in Baltimore MD. I had 8 procedures here late last year and early this year. I hope to never have to come here again. But here I am. In a very cool room at Johns Hopkins.

I can pick up samples and join the sniff, but if you have replaced me, no worries!

Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

KarmaLee, very very glad to hear from you. Please concentrate on recovery. Nobody can replace or bump you out without your consent. Million positive vibes are dispatched your way, OK?

Just got off the phone with Warum. She is doing all right too, will let us all know how and what in the next coupla days.

Please empty your PM folders so that you can receive PMs, since some of you have used up all the allowed quota.

Sounds great, Twolf. I have a friend who is getting my forwarded mail, so the samples will find me. I hope to get to come home this week. And back to writing and a life! Add in perfume, and I can't just see wonderful ahead but divine!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

That's the spirit! Thanks bunches once again. (Tried to send you a PM, would not go through though).

We're set to go, I am sending out samples, and will send out the samples to KL soon. The theme will be "Unpresentables", and given people's constraints, we're aiming to sniff the week of oct 15, by which time we all wish KL will be back home and nearly recovered.

Meanwhile, a big "get well soon" to KL.

cacio

Too right. Get well KL. x

Wonderful, I have heard from everyone invloved with the exception of cestrum nocturnum. Everyone is preparing or ready. Thanks.

Samples just arrived this morning....finally.... and poor Cacio, the mail had been playing football with this one....

Luckily all samples were bagged up separately and the biffed one couldn't get into the others. It is always such a good idea to bag up separately. A good clean up with some perfumers alcohol did the trick.... and I have some lovely scented envelopes as drawer liners..... I bet a few other people do too..... lol.

Samples A, B and C, and all vials are intact and the bags saved the day...... all ready to go.... wayhay.....

Lesson learned. No oil in cream jars.

"lovely scented" for me too, but not all would agree-I think cestrum rather agreed with the unpresentable definition.

cacio

Do we start today or tomorrow?

I await instructions!
    W. Somerset Maugham

The october blind sniff, Unpresentables, is now open:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...Unpresentables

cacio

Banned

how do you pick candidates for this ? who can apply ....only experienced noses?.....

You can play now. Anyone can play. The more the merrier. Have a good read up first, and join in the guessing, but all guesses to be privately PMed to the host or co-host and NOT put on the thread as it would spoil it for people who hadn't guessed yet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Since the Summer of 2007 when Twolf came up with a new fun activity, many Basenoters have enjoyed the Blind Sniffs.

In a Blind Sniff a host comes up with an idea or a theme and three fragrances that fit this theme. Then a host mails the sniffers the identical vials of these fragrances only marked as "1", "2", "3". The names of the fragrances are not mentioned, and the goal of the sniffers is to guess these fragrances. At the agreed-upon time the sniffers and the host/co-host log into the Basenotes, spray the samples one at a time and describe what they smell (and see, and feel). The host and the co-host help the sniffers by asking questions, answering questions, confirming or disconfirming the notes, and answering PMs with the guesses. The spectators are often having loads of fun guessing the fragrances by notes, a virtual experience of guessing without sniffing powered by the online search (sniffers use that as well).

We can be both very scheduled and very flexible in terms of the timing, as long as the host, co-host, sniffers and spectators can plan ahead for meeting on the forums and joining the fun of guessing the fragrances.

In 2011 every blind sniff featured at least three fragrances, one designer, one niche and one mass market. Many sniffers love this format because they have a chance of smell the fragrances blind, with no allure of a known and popular brand attached to it. It is often eye opening.

Here's a link to a 2011 sniff in which everyone loved the drugstore offering.
    Here's a link to a 2011 sniff in which most people had second thoughts about a (relatively) popular niche fragrance.

However, there were also the Blind Sniffs in the past when this format=mass market+designer+niche was not followed. It is all about connecting the fragrances around a good theme and having fun!

So please post if you want to be a sniffer in 2012 and/or if you want to host. And please give a shout if you want to sniff/host in January! I know a couple of people, myself included, have some themes dreamed up from 2011.
    Here's how we're keeping them going in 2012!

I follow this format to summarize a sniff:
    Month: Host/Cohost: First Sniffer, Second Sniffer, Third Sniffer. Theme of the sniff (with a link to follow to the actual sniff thread).

January: Darkdreams/Warum: TWolf, kalli, OVincze. On Dreams and Illusions.
    February: Nostalgie/Warum: Darkdreams, Haunani, Meowmo. Soul Sisters.
    March: Warum/TWolf: cacio, Jujy54, saripatates. Orient Express -- The Red Line.
    April: Saripatates/TWolf: FrouFrou, mumsy, RingER. Cure for Cold.
    July: Haunani/Jujy54: darkdreams, Warum, OVincze, TWolf. Bouquet of Mysteries.

You can see the list of fragrances sniffed in the next post down!

The plans for the rest of 2012 look like this:

August: FrouFrou/Ovincze: KarmaLee, cestum nocturnum, Sybarite.
    September: TWolf/cacio: Irina, Sybarite, meowmo.
    November: Sybarite/Warum: forfreddie, Alvus, Irina (?)*

Is there an interest in a sniff in December? If so, state your interest in a response to this thread! Do you want to sniff, host, co-host? Let us know!
    i would like to sniff if not december then eventually maybe i wont guess it if you put something i never smelled before but maybe i can describe it very well for others and for me that woule be such great opportunity to learn some new great perfumes

Hi guys, I see that my name is added for the November sniff. I'm sorry I can't participate as a sniffer any more, because it is simply too time consuming for me atm. So after the co-hosting this Octobers sniff I will be taking a break and I'll see what I can do in 2013.
    Many thanks!!!
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

Thank you, iivanita, for expressing your interest in participating. I think it is just a simple switch -- Warum (the OP and the host of this thread) will probably see this request and replace Irina with you. If there is no developments in the next three-four days, feel free to PM her with Novebmer Blind Sniff in the title.

We still need people for December, for either position.

I shall have a think for a hosting. I wrote a few ideas down but have forgotten them. It would be fun (I hope).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Thank you, iivanita, for expressing your interest in participating. I think it is just a simple switch -- Warum (the OP and the host of this thread) will probably see this request and replace Irina with you. If there is no developments in the next three-four days, feel free to PM her with Novebmer Blind Sniff in the title.

We still need people for December, for either position.

Oki perfect, i can be cohost in november! And sniffer in december or cohost whatever you like:-)

You can't be a cohost yet -- you have to be a sniffer first, one or two times, to qualify. *smile*

Besides, November's positions of hosting are all filled out -- see the very first thread that you have bumped up. The only one available for November is Irina's, a sniffer's.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I shall have a think for a hosting. I wrote a few ideas down but have forgotten them. It would be fun (I hope).
    If you ever host, please lmk, hunnie, I would gladly sniff your treasures... damn that sounds 'unpresentable' LOL
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

What is Imk, if I may?

What is Imk, if I may?
    Sorry shorthand for 'let me know'

I see that the 'I' should have been an 'l'
    Last edited by Irina; 16th October 2012 at 05:11 PM.
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Banned

You can't be a cohost yet -- you have to be a sniffer first, one or two times, to qualify. *smile*

Besides, November's positions of hosting are all filled out -- see the very first thread that you have bumped up. The only one available for November is Irina's, a sniffer's.

oki perfect i rather be sniffer!! thats what i want first thaaank you!!!

Sent a group PM to everyone involved in the November Blind Sniff. It went through to everybody but Alvus (who had chosen NOT to receive any PMs). Alvus, please post here if your plans regarding the sniff are still the same and what dates in November you would rather do it.

Thanks to all.

I don't know what happened to Alvus. I was trying to send some weils samples on. He appears to be banned but I never saw any problem posts and with five stars and 1000 posts, obviously isn't a temporary visitor on here.

You are right. At the same time -- and I know we are not supposed to discuss other members -- does not it seem too fast 1000 posts in the period of one month or so?

So, I guess, we need another sniffer for November.

I know iivanita was keen to play.

She is in, as a sub for Irina.

- - - Updated - - -

Two days later, we have the only person who is still willing to participate in the November Blind Sniff -- iivanita. Sybarite let me break the news -- he will NOT be hosting. I have not heard from Warum or forfreddie.

Blog Entries

Ouch. So Sybarite is not hosting and I am on a trip that I originally did not plan for. I am coming back in the end of the month.
    But I am still game, since I have a pretty much worked out idea for a Blind Sniff that I was saving up for 2013 -- and I can roll it out in November. I would love a co-host, but I can still jump in I guess. I am limited in connection right now, so I won't be able to discuss much anything, but I have at least all perfumes at home so I will be able to start decanting and mailing as soon as I get in -- but to whom? Ivanita is in, that's one! I hope forfreddie will appear too...

Who's the third for November with me?

I could be an emergency co-host if no-one else wants to accept first. I don't want to hog the blind sniff positions having just been a sniffer. I am also extremely busy this month but it won't happen till next month anyway will it? I don't think I can get my act together to host yet. My ideas were at germination stage and I am not ready with the right frags yet.

Warum, please have a nice trip. For November I have not heard from forfreddie (although I saw his posts on other threads). So we have you, iivanita, mumsy and possibly forfreddie.

We would also like the list updated with the fragrances that have been sniffed in September and October.

Blog Entries

Update: I have come back from my trip and I now know that we have one sniffer still up for November, Ivanita, as well as me as a host and wonderful Mumsy who jumped in as an emergency co-host! Great!
    Mumsy, I will PM you later with my idea and fragrances.
    Wolfie, I will update the list, I dang promise. It won't happen today because I have a list that is mile long and 1/2 mile wide, but I will really do it. aaaaaaahhhhh, there is a wolf on my butt!!

I have ordered the atomizers, they will arrive this week.

And of course now Mumsy and I are looking for more sniffers! Who would like to blind sniff some... should I divulge? Some GREENIES!

I will go sniffing for sniffers.....

I contacted Twolf the other day to back out of the sniff - very sorry guys I REALLY wanted to take part but I'm so swept off my feet at the minute I just don't feel like I can dedicate my time to it
    Will look forward to reading everyone elses thoughts and play along when I get the chance. Have fun guys.

You did too. I told Warum but did not post on the thread, my mistake, many apologies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I will go sniffing for sniffers.....
    Oh Gosh, Mumsy, please DO! We always need those!

Forfreddie, completely understand. It often happens! Plans change, and etc. We're always cool and will be glad to take a raincheck. There will be a whole another 2013 ahead!! I knew you weren't going to sniff via TWolf's PM, that's why I only said we had one Ivanita as a sniffer.

Banned

so mumsy and me will be sniffing? looking forward to that!!,

hope third player comes in too so i dont have to stand alone against professional hehe,

Warum be gentle with your choices

Iivanita, afraid now you are the only one willing to sniff. Mumsy is helping Warum with the assignment, seems like.

Banned

anyone else reading this and willing to sniff?? pls join the party!! its so much fun!

I just did a sniff, so don't want to jump in, but if a sniffer is needed, my nose is willing!
    W. Somerset Maugham

Please do, both you and your excellent nose!

I've asked a couple of super noses and we will see later if they want to play.....

- - - Updated - - -

Yippidee doo dah..... fragman say yay to play.....

Waiting marching orders!

Looking forward to read you all
    www.irinatudor.nl

www.somethingsmelly.com

Just let me know by pm if I am needed ok? We lost power due to the freakie storm on the East Coast, but up and running now. Who is sniffing? Even if I am not, will lurk and participate from afar!
    W. Somerset Maugham