Code of Conduct

Default Scents that mostly smell like vanilla

How do you feel about wearing scents like this? Is it attractive and sexy on a man?

Personally I'm undecided. I quite like the smell but generally prefer sweet scents that are a little darker/spicier, if that makes sense, adding tar, chocolate, rubber, etc something to keep the vanilla in check. Vanilla can strike me as a bit soft on a man, to avoid using the term feminine. I noticed this in a post office one day when a guy smelled of vanilla and I didn't find it very sexy at all.

Or is it just me having vanilla issues?

Default Re: Scents that mostly smell like vanilla

I'm kinding of having vanilla issues.
    I love the smell of pure vanilla, but struggle to find a fragrance to match that doesn't come across as boring.
    If I get a vanilla perfume, I want it to be the dominant note, I hate it when people suggest Shalimar as a vanilla fragrance.
    I've also tried Un Bois Vanille which was nice, but nothing mind blowing, Vanillary by Gorilla, which seemed too flat and uninteresting. I've yet to try Havane Vanille but don't have high hopes, maybe I'll be suprised.
    I think it is sexy, but it can come across as flat and un-interesting.

I'm with you Russel but there're a bunch of vanilla centered fragrances that are tremendously sexy (e.g. Habanita does great on a man)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    I'm kinding of having vanilla issues.
    I love the smell of pure vanilla, but struggle to find a fragrance to match that doesn't come across as boring.
    If I get a vanilla perfume, I want it to be the dominant note, I hate it when people suggest Shalimar as a vanilla fragrance.
    I've also tried Un Bois Vanille which was nice, but nothing mind blowing, Vanillary by Gorilla, which seemed too flat and uninteresting. I've yet to try Havane Vanille but don't have high hopes, maybe I'll be suprised.
    I think it is sexy, but it can come across as flat and un-interesting.
    I know what you mean. Was wearing Molinard's Vanille last night and whilst it smells really good I don't seem to enjoy wearing it all that much. Also I worry that it makes crave sweets lol. Perhaps I will use it as a room spray instead.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I'm with you Russel but there're a bunch of vanilla centered fragrances that are tremendously sexy (e.g. Habanita does great on a man)
    Remember liking this one. But it has been a while since I wore it, might have to do so trmw.

No-one does vanilla like Guerlain. It seems my taste is pro more vanilla in current comps vs. vintage. Although, I dislike most other vanilla-focused fragrances in general.

Basenotes Plus

Try Hermes Vanille Galante, it's a very nice unisex vanilla. Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille would probably be an even better choice. Both of these are more interesting than the ones mentioned, imo.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 15th February 2012 at 01:13 PM.

I have no problem wearing vanilla strong scents depending on the fragrance.

hednic by any chance have you tried/own Vanille Aoud by Micallef? It looks great.

Sound Scents

I usually don't like wearing vanilla scents for the same reason you mention in the OP. That said, I immediately fell in love with Les Nombres d'Or Vanille by Mona di Orio as it is not sweet. The aforementioned SDV from Guerlain is another good choice, as it is much less sweet than most vanillas on the market (but more-so than the MdO).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    No-one does vanilla like Guerlain.
    That's for sure!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I usually don't like wearing vanilla scents for the same reason you mention in the OP. That said, I immediately fell in love with Les Nombres d'Or Vanille by Mona di Orio as it is not sweet. The aforementioned SDV from Guerlain is another good choice, as it is much less sweet than most vanillas on the market (but more-so than the MdO).
    I think you're right, it might the sweetness as well. Just remembered that I love e.g. Caron's Pour Un Homme, which certainly has plenty of vanilla.

I don't like to wear vanilla scents (though I love vanilla!) but I'm currently going through a Diptyque Eau Duelle phase. It's vanilla with subtle spices and a lot of other things going on in it..
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift;
    that's why they call it the present."

Heavy based vanilla scent are a comfort to me, meaning I wouldn't wear it out an about often but when I'm at one and need something to relax me SDV does the trick lol