Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A*Men for highschool ??

My son is currently in highschool and I was thinking of giving him a scent for his age! Now when I say for highschool, I don't mean in class but rather for nights out. Basically, is a men to mature for a 16 year old? He is daring an likes the smell, but is it just too much for his age?

If its a bad idea please leave other suggestions( looking for something a lil more high class meaning ck or coolwater or curve aren't an option)

- thanks for all your help!

Default Re: A*Men for highschool ??

No.

I suggest Joop Jump for high schooler.
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone can wear amen. it just smells like a dark chocolate cake to me. Too dark for me tho. I perfer rochas man which is sweeter

I do not find A*men classy.

If your son is looking for a "classy" scent for nights out. Get him Dior homme INTENSE.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard_Butler View Post
    I do not find A*men classy.

If your son is looking for a "classy" scent for nights out. Get him Dior homme INTENSE.
    Great choice! But that's my signature! Haha also when I say classy I don't technically mean classy but rather not mainstream fresh citrus shit!

Post Thanks / Like

The tar and patchouli may be a bit mature for some of his peers to like. I would suggest maybe something like Burberry Brit, Le Male, Body Kouros, 212 Sexy, or 1 Million as winter fragrances that might have more appeal to his age group.

It's a fine choice IMO.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    The tar and patchouli may be a bit mature for some of his peers to like. I would suggest maybe something like Burberry Brit, Le Male, Body Kouros, 212 Sexy, or 1 Million as winter fragrances that might have more appeal to his age group.
    Le male? I find that to be too much synthetic vanilla! You're right 1 million has a good Fruity bubblegum opening and a sweet drydown! I've only sampled it but I might end up going for that one!
    Thanks for you help!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It's a fine choice IMO.
    I also thought the same thing! But apperantly it might not be the best option!
    - thanks for the advice

Dont , I personally love it but it never works in school occasions and not in a young age group. Im in high school and 1 million and Allure Homme Sport are my biggest compliment getters

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A*Man is terrible for a high schooler (especially in a school setting). It's a very strong scent that projects. If over applied, he will forever be remembered as the dude who wore cologne.

A scent in a somewhat similar vein as A*Man that I'd recommend for that age is Diesel -- Only the Brave. Don't be fooled by the bottle, it's a great scent for that age, IMO. If I woke up one morning 16 again, this is what I would wear. :-)

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems this is a polarizing question: I personally think this is fine for a highschooler, especially because it's for a night out and not for a classroom setting. You may not notice the tar note right away, but you will eventually. So with that being said, I would advise getting a smaller bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe only for formal occasions during high school

Sure Amen is fine, 1-2 sprays max though ! Any more than that, you may knock out the teachers and get suspended!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Sure Amen is fine, 1-2 sprays max though ! Any more than that, you may knock out the teachers and get suspended!
    Thanks for the help! But as I said its definitely not for the classroom! Rather for nights out! In the classroom this could be a killer and very offensive!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

no i don't think A*men is too mature. I personally don't care for it. I am very amazed by it's popularity. I feel like I am being pranked.

If he is fishing for compliments from girls his age I doubt AMen is a fragrance that would yield a lot of positive responses. In my experience high school girls and even many young college girls like the fresh, aquatic style fragrances. If he wants it purely for his own indulgence and can wear it confidently go ahead and get it for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlosoraibi View Post
    Thanks for the help! But as I said its definitely not for the classroom! Rather for nights out! In the classroom this could be a killer and very offensive!
    Ohh I'm sorry I misread your post, your looking for a good nighttime fragrance for him? Something that is sweet and gourmandish like Amen? Go for Rochas man!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlosoraibi View Post
    Great choice! But that's my signature! Haha also when I say classy I don't technically mean classy but rather not mainstream fresh citrus shit!
    OH!! haha!
    Prada amber pour homme also fits the bill for a classy young man's scent and I find it to be very unique and not the least bit mainstream. It is very likeable , inoffensive and versatile IMO . So he can wear it anywhere any time. It is a beautiful saffron/suede/vanilla combo with great longevity and sillage. give it a try.
    cheers

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Since fragrance preference is so individual, perhaps it would be good to take him
    shopping and let him choose. There is just too great a chance that he won't like
    what you get him; he will then feel guilty, and you will feel bad, if he doesn't wear it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post
    Since fragrance preference is so individual, perhaps it would be good to take him
    shopping and let him choose. There is just too great a chance that he won't like
    what you get him; he will then feel guilty, and you will feel bad, if he doesn't wear it.
    There's definitely some truth to that, but it's possible to get someone a fragrance they'll love as long as you know them well and are attentive to the selection process. If you know someone well enough, you can kinda predict what they'll like. I wore A*Men when I was 13 and got compliments from many girls all through high school with it. I don't think it's too mature at all...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I think any of the following would be age appropriate:

1 Million by Paco Rabanne
    Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier
    Play Intense by Givenchy
    Burberry Brit for Men by Burberry

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

rochas man better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post
    allure sport might be my fav
    If you want him to stand out a little more, Allure Homme Édition Blanche might be worth looking into. I think it's a more complex and rich fragrance than Allure Sport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think a great frag would be allure homme sport, hanae mori edt , or one million.

I have angel men and am of highschool age and i never wear it. Le male might be too powerful as well as offensive while one million is slightly less power and that makes all the difference .

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

it is impossible to dislike allure sport

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post
    it is impossible to dislike allure sport
    Ehhhhhhhh, not so fast my friend.

Provided you haven't already given him A Men and he likes that scent I would suggest Hanae Mori edt for men. A softer, brighter take. I like it more than Rochas Man myself.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to give him A*Men, get him Dark Temptation by Axe instead. It's similar with it's chocolatey goodness. It's higher quality than Axe's other offerings too. It smells great and is harder to to over apply than A*Men, which takes a delicate hand.

As for an actual cologne, I recommend Acqua Di Gio b/c it's universally appealing, smells great, and he'll be going on many dates with pretty girls b/c they won't be able to resist the ADG
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbar1104 View Post
    Ehhhhhhhh, not so fast my friend.
    Okay it is ALMOST impossible. lmfao

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    I think a great frag would be allure homme sport, hanae mori edt , or one million.

I have angel men and am of highschool age and i never wear it. Le male might be too powerful as well as offensive while one million is slightly less power and that makes all the difference .
    I agree that Amen in school might choke someone out. le male is more forgiving but is no weakling either. Two sprays max

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think A*Men is too mature, but maybe you should give him the opportunity to sample before buying. Sephora has a set of 14 samples that comes with a voucher for a full sized bottle, here. Get him this for $50 and he can try many of the frags mentioned in this thread and then pick the one he likes best. Its a pretty good deal, and he's bound to like something in there.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -