Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which two cologne scents do you like to wear layered together?

My question is actually two questions.

1. Which two cologne scents do you wear layered together?

2. Which perfumer are they from?

I find myself layering Liz Zorn's Green Oakmoss & Rivertown Road together most often. The two scents blend so well. The Green Oakmoss is very tuberose, and the Rivertown Road is very bay rum-esque, somehow they come together and make music.

I haven't yet found scents from two different perfume houses that mix too well to wear. It seems more like the one's that layer well for me so far are usually from the same perfume house. Do you find this to be true as well? Or no?
    Current Favorite Fragrances:

1. Rivertown Road Pour Homme, by Liz Zorn
    2. Green Oakmoss by Liz Zorn
    3. Winter Woods, by Sonoma Scent Studio
    4. Parfum De Maroc by Mandy Aftel
    5. Geranium Pour Monsieur by Dominique Ropion
    6. What We Do In Paris Is Secret by Dominique Ropion
    7. Vanillaville by Liz Zorn

Default Re: Which two cologne scents do you like to wear layered together?

Never tried any layering yet.

I put Dior Homme Intense over Gucci pour Homme I (a couple hours apart). Not bad together. Double your iso E super pleasure.

Was talking to my SA today and she sprayed herself with Creed Royal Oud and then topped it off with Prada Candy. Smelled better than it sounds.

I dont layer.

It would be like putting a Range Rover engine into a 911 Carrera.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I don't layer.
    Same here.

I rarely layer but like layering a few drops of Gray Flannel(vintage splash bottle) over Encre Noire.

Layering , I do not find enjoyable at all. It is too conflicting I guess. Fragrances are more pleasing to my senses worn individually.

Sur la Plage

I don't layer.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

When I purchase a fragrance I do so because I like it the way it is - no layering here either.

Layering can be hella fun, almost like creating your own fragrance. Some frags on their own can feel inadequate - combined with others can be awesome. Try for example layering Tobacco Vanille (a simple, yet strong frag that can be annoying in the long term) with something citrusy: home run! Or Himalaya with a spritz of a fresh/aquatic that you wouldn't otherwise use to give it more oomph.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't layer.
    Me either.

I have never layered anything. Shouldn't a cologne be able to stand on it's own merits? It just seems like it would defeat the purpose to me.

Basenotes Plus

I don't layer because I haven't got a clue what it would smell like to others. You know those labels on toilet cleaners where you are told not to mix with other products...?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog127 View Post
    I have never layered anything. Shouldn't a cologne be able to stand on it's own merits? It just seems like it would defeat the purpose to me.
    exactly. in another thread i compared this practice to playing 2 pieces of music in the same room (and i obviously don't mean beat-matched dance music, there's no way to match perfumes.)

IMO there are no rules. Do whatcha like. Experiment if you want.

Based on suggestions I've picked up here in the past for instance, I'm currently enjoying the smallest of oud oil dab on the lower beard with a spritz of Rose 31 to the core.

Besides, go to Goutal's site and you'll find such things written (my emphasis added):

A stroll through oases, desert sands and spice markets. Ambre Fétiche belongs with Myrrhe Ardente, Encens Flamboyant and Musc Nomade to the "Orientalists" Collection. These four fragrances, equally suitable for women and men, can be worn alone or combined.

Speaking of which... I like to combine the Myrrhe Ardente and the Encens Flamboyant (frankinscense based) this time of year. No, it's not the 'end all be all', but I like it and I'm rather sure it won't get me in trouble with any gov't agency or political activist group. hehe.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 26th December 2011 at 02:48 PM.

Sound Scents

I don't layer as a general rule either. That said, I am experimenting with using Cologne du Parfumeur as a layering scent since it works so well as a base. I guess the jury is still out for me as to whether I will actually do it "for real."
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

I've had fun experimenting with layering, I found that bulgari black works really well as a base. I quite like the combo of Black with Versace Dreamer. Lately I've been layering creeds, Aventus Imperial works quite well, 2 or 3 sprays of MI and one spray of Aventus on top.

Imo layering scents that are in the same vein works better that two frags that are completely different.

Don't layer fragrances but I occasionally layer single note perfume oil with a scent on top.

So far, only Dior Homme EDT with Yves Rocher Eau de Cedre Bleu - and it worked quite well

Creed Tabarome Millesime with Royal English Leather.

Three sprays of dhi and two of d&g the one! Smells so good! Each to their own I guess

there is only 1 combo i layer - dior homme with guerlain sdv
    1 .L Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Amouage Reflection Man
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Dior Homme Intense
    5. Aqua Universalis Forte - MFK
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure malt
    8. Serge Lutens Chergui
    9. Comme Des Garcons Sequoia
    10.Terre D' Hermes

I haven't tried a lot of layering but I'm yet to find a combo I prefer to the original stand alone fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

I can barely decide which scent I want to wear cause there are so many I love let alone deal with figuring out two. But kudos to you honey if you can!
    Looking for:

Creed - SMW, MI
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood, Neroli P, Amber
    Amouage - Jubilation
    Acqua di Parma - Essenza
    Molecule 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't layer.
    +1 ...

I rarely layer, but Poivre Samarcande and Hermes Hiris are great for this as they are both quite transparent, simple and linear.

1. Central Park and Little Italy by Bond No.9
    2. Armani Code Pour Homme and Attitude by Armani
    Gary

I've tried a few, and so far my favorites are Gucci Pour Homme with a dash of Eau de Rochas (like a poor recreation of the original Gucci!), and the newer Perry Ellis Man with Halston Catalyst, light on both or else you'll be detained. With the latter combo you get a pleasantly modern vanilla/clove warm spice scent. This one works for me because I find both the base frags nice but flat, but in concert I get a load of compliments.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog127 View Post
    Shouldn't a cologne be able to stand on it's own merits? It just seems like it would defeat the purpose to me.
    This is how I feel. No layering for me!

AromiErotici

I occasionally layer some fragrances that fall a bit short on their own. I don't buy into that "purist" agenda that it should stand or fall on its own merits. If a scent "falls", yet you like it, help it out a bit.

Mukhalat Malaki as a base with Tumulte PH on top kicks serious azz. Why WOULDN'T I layer these two if they smell great together?

Basenotes Plus

Layering is for the adventurous. I do it, but probably not often enough to establish favorite combos. But I don't apply them over the same areas, more like one fragrance on the chest, another fragrance on the arms. For me at least it is not so much about making up for whatever you find lacking in one fragrance than it is about making exciting new discoveries and perhaps keeping some people (BNers lol) guessing as to exactly what fragrance it is you are wearing.

Why not take a chance? Live a little! Here are some of my fav combos: 1. Kouros and Habit Rouge. About one part Kouros to two parts HR. The animalic qualities become rounder, richer. 2. Opium PH and Body Fantasy Vanilla Fantasy. Rounds out some of the spikiness of Opium. 3. Dune (feminine) and Oud 27 comes out like Dior Oud Leather.

Chanel Cuir de Russie over Guerlain Vetiver is wonderful

Bleu de channel and SMW.
    Aventus and SMW.
    These are the only 2 combos I find feasible.

Original Vetiver (Creed) and Oud Wood (Tom Ford). As long as their about 50/50 (by strength) or 40/60 (with either being dominant) works very well.

Green Irish Tweed (Creed) and Oud Wood (Tom Ford) with GIT being at about 60% and OW at about 40%.

Happy (Clinique) and Tobacco Vanille (Tom Ford). I don't do this very often because I admire and savor the purity of TV. 60%-70% Happy and 40%-30% TV. Percentages are by perceived strength (detectability) not volume, weight, or mass.

Mulled Cider (Demeter) and Tobacco Vanille (Tom Ford). Occasionally.

Mulled Cider & Oud Wood. Rarely

Sequoia & Spiriteuse Double Vanille. Rarely. CdG's bottle is too difficult to control the amount of juice coming out.

I prefer blending rather than layering ...... once you nail the perfect ratio your done !
    layering is fun too , but even the angle of the spritz can alter the end result ...even if ever so slightly
    I have quite a few combo's that rock !!
    For those interested , there is a new group that is just gaining momentum .
    If your brave enough & risque ,dont let fear hold you back ,
    just throw the rule book out the window !! & see you there .
    cheers

Dependent

I have Jo Malone Amber & Lavender which is meant to be layered with her other products. Tried a few times, also with a little Eau de Guerlain but they all affected the A&L too much. I'll probably experiment more once my buying spree settles down. As if that'll ever happen...

I have layered Bijan and Lapidus pour homme. Also Grey Flannel, and Aspen.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    I have layered Bijan and Lapidus pour homme.
    About as subtle as an eighteen-wheeler!

Blog Entries

I don't layer but on SA told me once that the Jo Malones are nice to layer together. Who knows, maybe she was trying to sell me multiple bottles : )
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

GIT and Cool Water.
    Same guy.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2000 View Post
    I don't layer but on SA told me once that the Jo Malones are nice to layer together. Who knows, maybe she was trying to sell me multiple bottles : )
    They are actually designed to be combined, but I only like one of them well enough to wear in general so it's kind of a moot point. Although I haven't tried the Cologne Intense collection ... very curious about Oud & Bergamot though since they weren't actually created by Jo Malone herself I'm a bit wary.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    GIT and Cool Water.
    Same guy.
    Speaking of layering similar stuff, I really enjoyed layering vintage and new Yatagan the other night! Good balance of oakmoss. The old is a bit chalky/heavy while the new is a bit slim and elegant. I found about 60 new / 40 vintage to be pretty great.

Gonna try Azzaro Visit and Lalique Equus soon to get big cedar with a little of Visit's nutmeg

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    exactly. in another thread i compared this practice to playing 2 pieces of music in the same room (and i obviously don't mean beat-matched dance music, there's no way to match perfumes.)
    Kinda funny that you put it that way, since I think if you were to find the right 2 scents to combine there probably could be some interesting results. Much like the music example you gave.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Kinda funny that you put it that way, since I think if you were to find the right 2 scents to combine there probably could be some interesting results. Much like the music example you gave.
    if you do, yes, i wouldn't disagree with that. it might even be interesting.. but ultimately, pointless.
    and with 99.99% of the possible combinations, it's ruining two perfumes at a time.

what could be much more interesting and at least valid, would be an attempt to layer two perfumes on two different people that are together. for instance, a husband and wife wearing perfumes that complement each other (and obviously don't interfere.)

it would take a clever and trained nose to pull it off. the hard part is the development over time. getting two bottles that smell good with each other at some point wouldn't be so tough, you can just hold them together under your nose and listen carefully for their dialog.

but getting two perfumes that perform great in tandem all the way from top to bottom, that's a different story. it requires insight in perfumery structures, how these shapes work, and so on, plus a strong imagination.

these two points combined would be the only way (i can think of) where layering could possibly make any sense.
    Last edited by gido; 12th January 2012 at 08:24 PM.

Basenotes Member Carvalho Diablo's Avatar
    Pompadour Cosmetique Company, Baker Street

Only very occasionally I'll wear some Creed Original Vetiver over some Gap Grass.

Very rich, and green.
    ***My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world : those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.***

I am really surprised at the many people who "don't layer"!
    Layering or pairing can so often alter fragrances for the better, ESPECIALLY those fragrances that get negatively reviewed here. I routinely pair Blue Sugar by Aquolina and Patchouli by Molinard. Many people complain that Blue Sugar is too sweet or not masculine. Pairing it with Patchouli resolves this. Furthermore, Patchouli by Molinard is often described as being too strong or linear and one note". I love it all by itself but use it most often in concert with any number of EDT/EDPs that contain patchouli notes to "ramp up" the patchouli note in the original frag. By all means pair and layer complimentary colognes!

I've had mostly indifferent results but one that I love is PdN Balle de Match layered with Aveda Pure-Fume Tonic for Men. The Aveda makes BdM a bit dirtier and more natural-smelling, which I like. And also gives it better longevity, I think.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

women are far braver about layering then men

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrant Following View Post
    women are far braver about layering then men
    braver is not exactly the right word.

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    braver is not exactly the right word.
    Reminds me of a former co-worker. She told me she always spritzes a "little bit of this and a little bit of that". With her, the combo didn't matter.

The only time I tried this was with Yatagan and L´Occitane Cedar. Loved the combination, although not sure of the people around me!
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Amouage Jubilation & Joop ph. I call it Joopilation. Smells great. That was supposed to be my SOTD, but I can't find my Jubilation sample! Smh...

Blog Entries

Several Bonds layer well together. Washington Square and Cooper Square, New Haarlem and Saks for Him, Coney Island and Wall Street, Wall Street and New Haarlem, I could think of several! I have layered GIT with Riverside Drive and it turned out nicely. Also Bulgari Aqua and Aqua Marine go pretty well together. I like to get a frag and its flankers and mix them up.
    Everyone is somebody's weirdo.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Amouage Jubilation & Joop ph. I call it Joopilation. Smells great. That was supposed to be my SOTD, but I can't find my Jubilation sample! Smh...
    Lol, I hope that was meant to be a joke. That's like mixing a fine single malt scotch with coca cola!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

For those who have never seen it or forgot about it this is an interesting older Thread discussing Creed Layering:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/176853-Creed-Blending
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Member

Probably owing to my extremely meager collection today is the 3rd day in a row I'm using 2 sprays of Timbuktu on top of 2 shots of Yatagan. The Timbuktu seems to have a hollow base that (after both have settled down) seems to me to fit together perfectly. I'm not sure if this is ridiculous or some type of sacrilege but I'm really digging it.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Lol, I hope that was meant to be a joke. That's like mixing a fine single malt scotch with coca cola!
    Said like someone who's never tried it. Jubilation by itself is kinda bland. Fruity and rich, but bland. Joop adds some sweet spices that gives it bite. And the thick fruitiness of the Jubilation tones Joop's sweetness and strength down considerably. I was truly surprised at how well they layer. I first tried this several months ago, but then ran out of my Jubilation sample. I just reacquired another 2ml sample a week ago, and was anxious to revisit the layering to see if it was still good. It is.
    Try it atleast once in your life. You will not be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Said like someone who's never tried it. Jubilation by itself is kinda bland. Fruity and rich, but bland. Joop adds some sweet spices that gives it bite. And the thick fruitiness of the Jubilation tones Joop's sweetness and strength down considerably. I was truly surprised at how well they layer. I first tried this several months ago, but then ran out of my Jubilation sample. I just reacquired another 2ml sample a week ago, and was anxious to revisit the layering to see if it was still good. It is.
    Try it atleast once in your life. You will not be disappointed.
    You're right I've never tried it. I just hate Joop! with a passion. Perhaps I'll give it a shot, I can't imagine Jub xxv making Joop! smell any worse than it already does.

And I'm sorry if my post sounded snooty, the word Joopilation gave me the impression that you were joking. Clever

La Nuit with Rochas man