Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Which two cologne scents do you like to wear layered together?

New Haarlem and Saks For Him
    Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille
    La Nuit De L'Homme and Rochas Man Intense
    Virgin Island Water and Orange Sanguine
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Layering is a drag

My favourite combo is Rossisimo from Rosine layed with Pour Monsieur from Chanel

smeller

I only tried this once, and it was a complete olfatory disaster.

It gets so much knowledge and hard training to become a "nose", learning how to put all those notes into a coherent whole... Just mixing two different compositions is a double waste of juice. The chances of getting an improved thing are minimal, if there are any.

However, adding a bit of an essential oil to enhance a single note that is already there could be a safer bet, and, even if I believe that some basenoters are able to do it, I would not try this "experiment" either.

I believe one could possibly achieve better results by learning a bit of perfumery and making a new scent at home, from the scratch.

Actually, it would probably not result on a masterpiece, but I guess most of the clean/watery/sweet/safe stuff being sold right now is easily surpassable with some serious training.

i think that kiehls musk and d&g blue(homme) work very well together...they mellow each other out...figured it out purely by accident...had been wearing one and then later in the evening topped the other and boom...magic!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Two of my favorites:

* Angliques Sous La Pluie + Encre Noire
    The ASLP makes Encre Noire even darker and broodier.

* L'Eau d'Hiver + Heeley Figuier
    The creamy parts of Figuier complement EdH very harmoniously (almond+fig=yum); the greener part of Figuier pierces through EdH, like Spring leaves pushing through snow.

I layer original Coco with Coco Mademoiselle and I love it. Very interesting and people stop and ask me what it is. I have a big bottle of No. 5, love all Chanel, and would be interested if anyone would recommend what would be acceptable to layer it with. Just a thought. Thanks.

Started layering with Jo Malone and some interesting (to me) results.

That encouraged me to layer with powder/iris and green fragrances.

Some Fragrances I don't layer, mainly FM and SL.

Wouldn't layer a fragrance like Nahema, or l'heure Bleu but will layer one of the Shalimars with something else at times.

But am now layering some of the Hermes.

Layer Mystra, White and Tam Doa with other fragrances (even though I love them solo so much) at times.

Because i am a wrist sniffer (only my own) I will wear different figs, roses, iris and tuberose on different wrists ....except for Une Rose I am often surprised how I will change an opinion about which *fig* *rose* etc I love the most!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Escentric Molecules 01 (iso E Super) and JHAG's Not a Perfume (Ambroxolide), wonderful blend. Seriously.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Escentric Molecules 01 (iso E Super) and JHAG's Not a Perfume (Ambroxolide), wonderful blend. Seriously.
    That suprises me much less than any combination of traditional "more than 1 aromachemical" fragrances working.

Tuscan Leather (TF) and Tobacco Vanille (TF) = Sexy and Magic

Neroli Portofino (TF) and Harrods for Man (BN9) = Statement and Sophisticated

Quote Originally Posted by csarina View Post
    ... I have a big bottle of No. 5, love all Chanel, and would be interested if anyone would recommend what would be acceptable to layer it with. Just a thought. Thanks.
    Call me crazy! To me, Le Male seems very aldehyde-ish. When I read your comment, I tried layering it (on paper) with no. 5. I can't test it on skin right now, but there maybe something there. Although it's getting a bit soapy right now...

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    That suprises me much less than any combination of traditional "more than 1 aromachemical" fragrances working.
    Pun intended: you might as well mix iso e super (cheap) and ambroxolide (or cetalox, are the same, as far as my knowledge goes, which, BTW, are really expensive). The mixture really smells well, albeit, "genericish". No chemical reaction, so far, but... the end product is quite good.

Basenotes Junkie

I feel like a broken record because I have posted this same combo on other threads, but Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca and CDG Wonderwood layer amazingly well together. I love it, and my wife loves it on me. I mean, it's a minty forest, what's not to love?

Azzaro Acteur plus YSL Opium pour Homme/ masculine spicy vanilla rose
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

A*Men + Eav des Bavx = Pure Havane without cherry

Pibaux

A blend of Pino Silvestre & Eau De Baux

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Two sprays He Rocky Mountain Wood to one of La Nuit de l'Homme. I've been wearing it out of curiosity for about two hours now, and it's marvelous.

I love to layer two fragrances from Pacifica. I first tried their Spanish Amber and loved it. It's one of the few colognes about which other women comment and like. I tried another Pacifica fragrance called Tibetan Mountain Temple. It had a clean almost soapy scent and by itself I don't care for it in the cologne, However, the soap is divine and leaves your whole bathroom smelling heavenly after a shower. But I hated to toss the cologne so one day I tried putting on a very small spritz layered over the darker, more pungent Spanish Amber's patchouli notes.

WOW! Suddenly both fragrances were powerful, subtle, lightly sweet, a little smoky and even meditative (it's the Tibetan thing!)

Now I mix them in a separate bottle and wear it together quite bit. The mix has to be about 10 to 1 Spanish Amber to Tibetan Mountain Temple or it takes on a waxy after note I don't like.

Available at some organic markets and from the maker on the web. (http://www.pacificaperfume.com) I really like that I can buy several items with these scents from soap to soy candles.

With best regards,
    Katherine d'Armagh

Just layered for the first time

Versace Man Eau Fraiche - 2 sprays
    Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey- 1 spray

Smells decent, in my opinion. I figured I'd try these 2 because of the predominant lemon notes.
    Current top 3:
    1) Gucci Pour Homme II
    2) Givenchy Play Intense
    3) Dolce & Gabbana The One

Basenotes Plus

After saying earlier in the thread I don't layer because I don't know how it would smell to others I decided to experiment. I am currently enjoying Rose 31 and it occured to me that TF Noir de Noir might complement it so I sprayed it on top of the 31. Result? Exquisite to my nose! Notexpecting anyone to do it, i'm just saying...

Aventus + midnight in paris edt

Try it.

Chanel Sycomore + Guerlain Jicky EDT

Chypres + MORE OAKMOSS

Cool Water + ? = Cool Water

TF Tobacco Vanille with Champaca Absolute. Simply amazing.

i do in summer jean paul gautier le male with some versace eau friche on top two make it more light and fresh.
    in winter i tried several times creed original santal 2 spays in the neck with 2 sprays creed MI on top i used two make that in a store where they had a lot of people and no sale women near the creeds.
    the original santal with MI worked nicelly for me and of 5 times i wear this combo 2 times i get complimented it,s a very sexy combo.

midnight in paris and creed aventus
    want two try that how many sprays of each

Recently found some interesting combo that I like, Homage attar with Guerlain's spiritueuse double vanille, also SDV with Duro.
    I read someone doing the black aoud /dark aoud, hmm interesting! I like the idea

I'm generally not a fan of layering. However I love the combination of Poivre Samarcande + Ambre Narguile (much Poivre, little Ambre) by Herms - it's just stunning!

My little brother came into my room before and sprayed Fuel for Life and 212 Men on himself as a joke.. it was horrible!
    Current top 3:
    1) Gucci Pour Homme II
    2) Givenchy Play Intense
    3) Dolce & Gabbana The One

Quote Originally Posted by Dean44 View Post
    My little brother came into my room before and sprayed Fuel for Life and 212 Men on himself as a joke.. it was horrible!
    haha can imagine i own a sample of fuel for life and find it the most syntetic cheap smell ever and people here in europe are buying it like crazy also the other diesel in the cool bottle i defently think some people only gets them because the bootles and the tv comercials.

I haven't tried layering because I've spent a lot of time and money finding fragrances that work well for me all on their own. However, like everybody else, I've made more than my share of poor fragrance choices. I have plenty of "dogs" that I see everyday which fill me with the guilt of buyer's remorse. So, I wondered if I could disprove the old adage, "two wrongs don't make a right" by combining two blech fragrances and actually end up with something passable or maybe even wearable. I picked Burberry Brit for its powdery sweetness hoping it would sort out and temper the alphabet soup of notes that comprise Hugo Boss Hugo.

Brit and Hugo... yeah, I've made some poor choices!

Anyway, it was a day off and I wasn't going to gas anyone with this experiment so the combination went right on the skin, no preliminary blotter tests. First, a spray of Hugo then a spray of Brit. The result was both fragrances tempered each other for the better. It toned down the sweet powder of Brit while brightening and taming the mire of Hugo. Even though the combination still had the synthetic quality both fragrances are accused of individually, the pairing is definitely better than either Brit or Hugo on its own.

Hmm, should I market this as Brugo or Hit?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonies View Post
    Hmm, should I market this as Brugo or Hit?
    Brugo for niche, Hit for designer.

Interesting what Hoffeur said about the SA layering Royal Oud and Prada Candy. I will try Black Aoud and Prada Candy. Also I have tried Bulgari Black and Pink Sugar. I really liked it. Mostly I don't think of layering but I think I would like to come up with a combo for Fumerie Turque. I like it but it just needs something to be added to it.

I heard tuscan leather & aventus are a good combination.. apply the tuscan leather first as it has a heavier oil content. Also aventus & royal oud.. and the aventus + royal oud combo was suggested by a creed rep according to dollars & scents on youtube.. I like him.. he seems like a nice guy. Aside from coach rob he's fast becoming one of my favorite reviewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    I heard tuscan leather & aventus are a good combination.. apply the tuscan leather first as it has a heavier oil content. Also aventus & royal oud.. and the aventus + royal oud combo was suggested by a creed rep according to dollars & scents on youtube.. I like him.. he seems like a nice guy. Aside from coach rob he's fast becoming one of my favorite reviewers.
    Yeah, Coach Rob tell it like it is.

I wear Molecule 01 and Al Rehab Choco Musk, 3 to 1 ratio.

Bond no 9 combo: New Haarlem and NY Amber work very well together.

I met someone who swears by layering Fahrenheit with Dior Homme, but I haven't had the guts to try it.

Also, I haven't tried it yet, but I'm convinced that Royal Oud would layer incredibly well with a scent that is fruit or citrus heavy so long as the bases don't clash. That's where a lot of people go wrong with layering. They smell top notes that work well together but completely forget that each scent will evolve in its own way, so it's easy to have a combo that smells great for a while and then turns to yuck.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Is there a difference between JHAG Not A Perfume and Molecule 02?
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Bond No. 9 is generally designed to be compatible to mix with others of the line.

I like to layer 3, my favorite is:
    Bleecker Street
    Manhattan
    Scent of Peace for Him

I layer Atelier Orange Sanguine with Guerlain Vetiver and I've received compliments.

Sometimes the one dimensional nothing-but-orange needs a bit of something extra.

Well, I do both. I do purchase and wear fragrances on the basis of there stand alone merit. But having said that, I layer certain fragrances that I know go well together to create a familiar fragrance with a new twist or sometimes the synergy creates a completely unique scent. In spite of one previous poster's belief, fragrances CAN match. One has to develop a feel for what "plays together" in a trial and error manner. I do it on my days off at home when my wife and son are out. If it smells good to me then I progress to letting others whose noses I trust. It's all about olfactory art and to me, about having fun. To each their own.

I sometimes layer Macassar vintage and 2004 version and like what i smell. Also i use to layer some woody fragrance with pure iso E Super. That's all.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Ambre 114 + Noir de Noir 2:1

Try it

Wasn't layering but I sampled Sugi while wearing Sel de Vetiver and the minimalistic nature and vetiver in both created an interesting effect.

I let most things stand on their own but I do give a little boost to Dirty English with a little Axe Music body spray with Lynx Instinct body wash, it makes the drydown even better and improves longevity (have gotten compliments on this more than once). I sometimes layer Old Spice Pure Sport, body wash, deodorant and body spray with Grey Flannel, (it's just a nice combo that I happen to like ) I got the idea for that combo on here a long time ago back when I was just lurking. I generously add Aqua Velva Musk to Jovan Musk for men (have gotten several compliments on that little low cost combo) and I add a bit of Sunshine Spa Patchouli Oil to Halston Z-14 have also gotten compliments on that combo even from strangers. I know these are all cheapies for most of you guys but they get better when combined or at least the compliments would allude to that.

Quite by accident I found that Roja Dove Diaghilev layered with Amouage Interlude Man is divine!
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy242 View Post
    Ambre 114 + Noir de Noir 2:1

Try it
    This sounds fantastic!!
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Quote Originally Posted by l'improviste View Post
    Recently found some interesting combo that I like, Homage attar with Guerlain's spiritueuse double vanille, also SDV with Duro.
    These combination sounds really good!
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

I tried Encre Noire with Norwegian Wood by Kanon -- turned Encre Noire from earthy tree logs fallen in a forest to slightly more positive vibe of the same thing. I might keep my Kanon around to try it again, though I didn't like it much.

Unless you use unscented soap or deodorant, if you think about it, most probably already do layer. Irish spring body wash, plus Right Guard Sports deodorant spray, plus a few sprays of Guerlain Vetiver smells one way, and probably smells differently when you mix or change any of the above.
    Last edited by Jimmy1; 19th March 2014 at 01:25 PM.

I definitely don't advocate for this venture but have done and will occasionally do TL layered immediately with "mighty Aventus"
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I layered Interlude Man with Pure Havane yesterday- not bad at all.