Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default New Fragrances: Jo Malone London Blooms Collection

From fragrantica.com:

Jo Malone announced a new collection of limited fragrances named London Blooms, coming out in March 2012. London Blooms collection was inspired by the art of botanical gardening and beautiful English lawns. The collection presents three fragrances signed by Christine Nagel: Peony & Moss, White Lilac & Rhubarb and Iris & Lady Moore. Their floral compositions are created with the aim to provoke feelings of happiness, romance and a good mood.

White Lilac & Rhubarb is a feminine and romantic fragrance composed of notes of rhubarb, white lilac, rose and heliotrope.

Peony & Moss is a scent of strong contrast of delicate flowers and wet and earthy moss. The composition includes notes of black currant, ivy, green accords, peony and moss.

Iris & Lady Moore offers classic elegance with its combination of fresh and spicy geranium, powdery iris and dry vetiver.

The bottles and packaging of the collection are decorated with floral illustration of a vintage vibe. The fragrances are available as colognes in bottles of 100 ml.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: New Fragrances: Jo Malone London Blooms Collection

Thanks for sharing, I like the look of those bottles. I think I'd be interested in sniffing the Peony and the Iris scents.

Iris & Lady Moore - what is Lady Moore supposed to smell like? I Googled and this was the first link to pop up:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...-moore-damages

Blog Entries

Sometimes our local Nordstrom store gets the limited editions and sometimes not. I hope they will, this time around-- I like the sound of these, especially the White Lilac and Rhubarb.

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

OMG, OMG, OMG! Christine Nagel, my star. Botanical prints? Ahhhh! Peony & Moss? Somebody hose me down.
    Plotting now to hop a train to Chicago in the spring.
    Thanks, as always, Joe.
    JOIN US FOR A BASENOTES MEET-UP IN CHICAGO MAY 25, 2019: See thread

Blog Entries

Thank you so much, Joe!
    In March? In time for my birthday?! Lilac? Peony? *faints*
    Love the flowery bottles.
    But OMG, why not 30 ml? Grrrrr.
    Ever-newer waters flow on those who step into the same rivers.

Guest 3

Those sound lovely! Peony & Moss appeals to me, too.

Quarry, you always make me lol.

I have to be honest, the rhubard does not appeal to me. Reminds me of cranberry. Depends how it's done, of course. Anyway, hopefully I'll get to sample these.

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Thank you so much, Joe!
    In March? In time for my birthday?! Lilac? Peony? *faints*
    Prepare to laugh at me, Lilybelle. I think I suffer from some sort of comic dyslexia. I honestly first read Warum's post just this way:

In March? In time for my birthday?! Lilac? Peony? *farts*

... and thought -- boy, she really is excited.

Blog Entries

LOL Quarry!!

Guest 3

Quote Originally Posted by quarry View Post
    prepare to laugh at me, lilybelle. I think i suffer from some sort of comic dyslexia. I honestly first read warum's post just this way:

in march? In time for my birthday?! Lilac? Peony? *farts*
    love the flowery bottles.
    But omg, why not 30 ml? Grrrrr.

... And thought -- boy, she really is excited.
    lol!! That's great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Prepare to laugh at me, Lilybelle. I think I suffer from some sort of comic dyslexia. I honestly first read Warum's post just this way:

In March? In time for my birthday?! Lilac? Peony? *farts*

... and thought -- boy, she really is excited.
    LOL. Quarry, you are a hoot. I don't mind farting like Lilac. Or Peony. Heck, even iris will do!

Joe, these sound lovely. Thanks for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Those sound lovely! Peony & Moss appeals to me, too.

Quarry, you always make me lol.

I have to be honest, the rhubard does not appeal to me. Reminds me of cranberry. Depends how it's done, of course. Anyway, hopefully I'll get to sample these.
    I am not too much of a fan of rhubarb either, you're not alone! And the actual taste of rhubarb I *really* don't like! No offense to anyone if they are rhubarb fans..but rhubarb pie has to be the worst pie, ever. That and mince meat pie..

Oh and farting rhubarb..that would be *really* bad!!!!!!!!! LOL.

These bottles are beeeeyooootiful, and the juices sound good, too! I'm not a big Malone fan, but I'll have to try these.

If not now, when?

I'm not bowled over by these notes/pyramids, but you gotta love those floral-decorated bottles, it's so British!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

I'm bumping this to remind us all to be on the lookout for them in stores.

Our Jo Malone SA at Nordstrom seemed to think they would be in sometime later this month.

Lol at Quarry! Like Divatologists signature

Personalized scenting -add your own indole

Blog Entries

Our local Nordstrom just got the London Blooms collection in!
    I'm going up for a sniff.

(They are pre-roder only on the Nordstrom website at this point.)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?keyword...=keywordsearch

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I'm going up for a sniff.
    Yay! A report forthcoming! Please, thank you.

If not now, when?

Saks has them also.

The iris one sounds definitely sample-worthy.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

So! I'm posting from the Apple store, having spent the past hour and a half sniffing at my arms and hands and reading my book between sniffs.

I bought White Lilac and Rhubarb-- it's a very realistic soliflore lilac. The house I grew up in had a number of mature lilac bushes growing along the back of the yard. In spring, the air was redolent of it. (Unfortunately it also made me sneeze!)

This fragrance takes me back there as no other lilac fragrance has so far, not even Highland Lilac of Rochester. These are not the cut lilacs in a vase of water that Highland Lilac evokes to me; the Malone puts me in the yard with a breeze wafting lilac flowers, and a hint of the grass and leaves around me. I do get a bit of rhubarb early on but it is not pronounced by any means, and it does not last. (Edit: Clarifying, the rhubarb is a bit sharp for the first 5-10 minutes, then the fragrance mellows.) It is mellower than Pacifica's French Lilac and truer than Demeter's Lilac cologne, but if you love either of those you may feel that you have enough lilac in the perfume closet. This is also much more of a soliflore than either Malle En Passant or Ineke After My Own Heart. This would also be a very nice, if pricey, room spray. Lilac lovers, go for it-- all others may be bored by all-lilac. (I know other notes are listed, but really, it's lilac, period.)

The Lilac also layered nicely with Red Roses but was really nasty layered with Peony.

Peony & Moss smells entirely different sprayed on paper as compared to skin. On paper it was like Bronnley Lime & Bergamot! I was really surprised. On skin, it develops a pear note! I didn't get blackcurrant. But the greatest impression I had was of the smell in an airport or a train station...a watery, transparent, neutral sort of smell suited to wafting into public places. It wears close to the skin. In some ways it reminded me of the water perfumes of CBIHP. I kept hoping it would become something more appealing-- the notes promised as much-- but it never did. Blind buy would be risky IMO.

Iris & Lady Moore - Starts off powdery and subtle; I dismissed it after 15 minutes, but as time went on it became better. Still, it reminded me too much of almond cookies with vetiver. Doesn't work for me but you may like it.
    Edit: I think it's probably the 2nd best of the three. As it dries down, the vetiver slips away and it settles into iris/almond.

Our Nordstrom just got them in today--when I arrived they had only 5 bottles of each (only 4 of Lilac) and would not be getting more. If you mean to try them in your local stores, do it soon. The manager, Matt (who has provided us in the past with samples for group testing) thought his store's supply might be gone by the end of the weekend.

Edit: The pretty labels are paper (not painted glass.)
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 19th February 2012 at 02:31 AM.

Blog Entries

30 Roses, many thanks! The lilac one sounds wonderful, and I will try my best to get to Portland Nordstrom's to check them out.

Blog Entries

I was in error about the label being paper-- I should have put my glasses on and looked it closer before concluding that! It is quite a bit nicer than that-- it's a clear decal, with irregular edges and a matte floral design made to appear painted on. Classy touch.

My husband smelled the White Lilac & Rhubarb just now and said "It's very natural!"

We just compared it with Highland Lilac; HL is sweeter than WL&R.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 18th February 2012 at 06:11 AM.

Guest 3

30 Roses, thank you for the reviews! That was so thoughtful of you to come back and post your impressions. They sound like a pass for me, even though the bottles are appealing. I love anything that reminds me of botanical prints or romantic floral patterns.

Blog Entries

Okay, this may be a one-off sort of problem but I just noticed that my bottle of White Lilac & Rhubarb's sprayer doesn't work right.

I just spritzed it a little last night to show my husband what the scent was like, and didn't notice that all it produces is little spritzes, with leakage around the collar of the sprayer mechanism. So you may wish to check that your bottle's sprayer works, right there at the counter after you buy it, before leaving the store. I usually do this when I buy perfume farther away from home but I suppose it's also a good idea to check when buying something where quantities are limited.

The SA set aside another bottle for me so off I go, back to the mall....

Blog Entries

Thanks so much for mentioning the sprayer issue. I'll check it right there and then!
    I'm also glad to hear that the bottle is really nice and not just paper.

Glad to hear the comparison to HL. I thought HL would be perfect if it were less sweet. Sounds like a go more and more! JM just has me. I'm such a sucker for their limited editions.

Blog Entries

It's lighter, too-- not just sweeter...you know the JM's are colognes and some find them too light. That may be a turnoff for some but I prefer a lighter lilac, not such an in-your-face one.

Guest 3

I think a light lilac sounds nice, too (not so cloying). I don't mind the lightness of Jo Malone frags. I have been enjoying lighter fragrances lately. Hormones probably.

If not now, when?

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Iris & Lady Moore - Starts off powdery and subtle; I dismissed it after 15 minutes, but as time went on it became better. Still, it reminded me too much of almond cookies with vetiver. Doesn't work for me but you may like it.
    Edit: I think it's probably the 2nd best of the three. As it dries down, the vetiver slips away and it settles into iris/almond.
    Vetiver almond cookies actually sounds sort of interesting to me, as a vetiver fan. I remember testing the CdG Sweet Series scent Wood Coffee and it has this sweet top notes with a very noticeable vetiver base note and I liked the combo. I will most definitely smell this when I see it. Thanks 30 Roses.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

OK, I've sampled the London Bloom Collection which I was so excited about!

I am with 30 Roses on the #1. The White Lilac and Rhubarb is the number one for me and the one I will pick up. Everything 30 Roses said about lilac holds true to me. It is very nice. I'll say it does smell more like white lilac rather than the dark purple lilac with the sweeter note to it. Whooo hoo, I found my HG lilac! That's the quest I started my perfumista journey, so now I can go home! (just kidding!)

But the other two I'd reverse. I think I liked the Iris and Lady Moore least. It is not bad. But the fragrance was pretty linear and it was almost 100% identical to the drydown of the new Baghari. So, of course, given a choice, I'll get Baghari. Linear is not bad itself, and I am very happy with the lilac to be linear, but I like Baghari's opening, so why not have that too?

Peony and Moss smelled like neither. I was trying to place it and I am still trying to place it. I cannot. I smelled some kind of fresh tart fruit (but not lemons or limes, maybe mandarin or quince), I saw this perfume in color, in fact this color I saw in my mind was the strongest impression of it. And then when my husband smelled it, he said, "It smells like rose. Like a tea rose." I asked, "The kind I can never smell?" (he smells several roses I cannot smell and vice versa, and I asked because it certainly did not smell like any roses I'd ever smelled!) He said, "Exactly." Well. Since I cannot smell these roses and he can, I cannot be a judge on his impression. It did not smell like a rose to me.

Do not be put off by a bitter note at first, it may not last (it did not last on me).

30 Roses, pear? I will have to resniff it to search for pear. I did not get it, but something has to be that mystery fruit...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Vetiver almond cookies actually sounds sort of interesting to me, as a vetiver fan. I remember testing the CdG Sweet Series scent Wood Coffee and it has this sweet top notes with a very noticeable vetiver base note and I liked the combo. I will most definitely smell this when I see it. Thanks 30 Roses.
    I got almond and powder without vetiver.