Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What does Frankincense smell like?

Risky to put anything on your skin at 100.0%, much better to use smelling strips. On skin you cannot follow the development over several hours (if not days) whilst with strips you can. I would dilute to at least 50.0% and dip onto strips.

Anyway, glad the samples arrived safely and that you like (some of) them. Hope they were what you wanted.

Titillating descriptions Paul. I wonder what the tenacity of these frankincense materials is like?

Basenotes Plus

I can still smell the Fumescens a day later on my arm.
    Can't smell the Pyrogenated Olibanum.

And I wonder, because the Fumescens to me smells more like old churches, I think I like it better...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Yet another thread resurrected.. I'm working with a base accord around frankincense resinoid, and looking
    for ways to enhance the incense effect through the dry out.. For some reason, at 5%, those resins don't last
    that long on a strip - maybe ~10 hours..
    I'm trying some ideas on this thread (norlimbanol, ionone beta and also ambroxam), and these smell cute.. But I wonder if anyone has any other ideas, as these enhance the woodiness.. I still plan on trying kohinool, labdanum and cypress, though they probably won't prolong the dry out time, and don't really like oxyocytaline (the combination with frankincense smells like teenagers to me..).
    Thanks

Patchouli and Myrrh, with a trace of Cade perhaps? If you want something lighter then perhaps a little Storax.
    Last edited by Pears; 18th March 2014 at 12:59 PM.

Hoo.. patchouli! Thanks for reminding me
    I have patchouli heart - maybe it could work. Not sure what the difference between it and the
    molecular distillation scent-wise. I'll try to get some in the future.
    I didn't mention - but I added some guaiac to emphasize that smoke aspect. Works really nice..
    You think cade will do a better job? Never worked with it in small dilution.

Also, I've looked at the GC they have at TGSC. It's not really clear what exactly in frankincense
    is a base note. The main components seem more like middle notes..

If Guaiac works for you, Nirex then there's no reason to swap it for something else. You might like to try a combination of Guaiac and Cade though. Cade is definitely the more smokey of the two. For testing purposes, I'd add a drop of Cade to a ml of ethanol and then add the dilution a drop at a time, until it's just faintly perceptible. You don't want to overdo it because it will get stronger during the dry down.

I don't think of Frankincense as a base note really. The resin components in it can act as fixatives but not many of the volatiles would be considered base notes. If it's burned as incense then that's a different matter, as some of the compounds that form are base notes with low odor detection thresholds. At that temperature, the volatilized resin components will also likely add to the depth of aroma. Similar to how Pine rosin has little smell, until you melt or burn it.
    Last edited by Pears; 18th March 2014 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Yet another thread resurrected.. I'm working with a base accord around frankincense resinoid, and looking
    for ways to enhance the incense effect through the dry out.. For some reason, at 5%, those resins don't last
    that long on a strip - maybe ~10 hours..
    I'm trying some ideas on this thread (norlimbanol, ionone beta and also ambroxam), and these smell cute.. But I wonder if anyone has any other ideas, as these enhance the woodiness.. I still plan on trying kohinool, labdanum and cypress, though they probably won't prolong the dry out time, and don't really like oxyocytaline (the combination with frankincense smells like teenagers to me..).
    Thanks
    I think my top choice here would be Ambermax if you want to avoid getting too woody - it works very nicely with Ambrofix/Ambroxan too. Dihydro Ionone Beta might be better than Ionone beta too, or Methyl Ionone if you want the violet connotation as itís longer lasting.
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Isn't dihydro ionone pretty volatile? I'll try some ambermax, when it gets here
    Thanks!

Has anyone ever made a Frankincense and Myrrh combo?

I tend to stay away from myrrh.. Couldn't figure out how to make it somewhat pleasant..
    I've gotten some amyl salicylate - I'm not sure, but it sometimes smells like it could enhance the frankincense.. Will have to check it later this week. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDopeyOne View Post
    The hard part is getting the smell of gold in there. Easy enough to mix the two and tell if it works the way you intended.

I'm smelling some ambermax now.. It has that green celery harshness that I also get from norlimbanol at the begining.. Is it a dilution issue? Ambercore is slightly more subdued, but it's also on the dry side..
    There were mentions of a Schiff's base with C12.. I remember there was some debate on whether lauric or MNA.. Couldn't find it, though..

Lots of excellent suggestions and information in this thread. Just to add my 1 3/4 cents, I might mention that since FireSurfer mentioned his desire to create an incense based on Frankincense (as opposed to, say, a perfume or cologne), using a good variety of Frankincense might just do the trick. (as resin, or more accurately, I believe, as resinoid, varieties for same described in various other posts in this thread). Considering that such has been burned as an incense for centuries, and as well is incorporated into many contemporary incenses (stick and otherwise), it might be something to consider the use of the same Frankincense version that has been burned as incense since pre-historic times (excuse me for being maybe a bit facetious here, please all be aware that I am not being sarcastic, and I say this knowing that it is a fine line that creates the distinction between one and the other). Oil of Frankincense is so lemony (depending on variety, batch and origin, etc., of course), with strong terpene aspects, and at first glance for many, may seem more like turpentine...it did to me when I for the first time was exposed to the EO and at that distant earlier date, with an entirely untrained nose at that time, I did not understand how all oils and aromatics of natural origin in general have many different nuisances/notes. I was most surprised to find how the oil's olfactoral aspects were so unike the Frankincense (resinoid) that I burnt as incense, that is, the same stuff that is burned in the church. I was thinking, back then, that the EO was supposed to smell "like" the plant portion that was most used for its aroma, not understanding then that each EO represents only certain aspects of the plant product from which it is derived (ie.the aspects pulled out of the plant and in varying ratios which were determined by the method in which the extract was made).
    I know I have far exceeded my 1 3/4 cents worth at this point, and very obviously, I am not providing any education whatsoever to those here with extensive fragrance experience, but please excuse me for taking the liberty of adding yet another 1.75 cent's worth (give or take .25 cent or so), and mention that White Lotus Aromatics offers a nice "Heart Note EO" of Frankincense, where the high end (ie. the lemony aspect and other top notes) is absent. Rather similar to Frankincense Absolute by Liberty, but with the top end yet still more so removed (in comparison to regular Frank. EO,or the smoke of burning resinoid). Not sure if it is safe to say that this oil quite represents Frankincense, as the lemony aspect which has been removed is well known to be one characteristic of the Frankincense odor profile, ummm, whatever that might actually be.

I hate to admit it, but most frankincense (I'm talking about burning incense) smells to me like furniture polish. I ordered examples from all over the world until I hit upon something magnificent, without the lemony/turpentine-like top notes. It smelled very balsamic, warm and suave. Unfortunately, I ordered some more and it had changed. It's still the best I've yet smelled, but it still has those top notes, albeit in attenuated form. Is this what you're describing that comes from White Lotus?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDopeyOne View Post
    Smells like church, I'm not very impressed by this combo, neither burning pure frankincense or the essential oil. Maybe my nose is spoilt..

Hi James, the HeartNote from WLA really is quite different than the scent of frankincense when burned (or vaporized). A tincture of the Hojary version, or, the Absolute from Liberty, or, the Resinoid Absolute ("Citralline") from Mermade Magickal Arts, in my opinion, are much closer. The Heartnote has its own particular application (good fixative, scent modifier), but again, is quite different than the versions I mention here. Also, the resinoid offered by PSH is a nice option, though, it is more in the pinene direction, not quite as close to the raw resin as the other versions just mentioned, yet closer than the Heartnote.
    Last edited by islearom; 9th March 2015 at 11:03 PM.

This is actually good news as I'm not going for that smoky churchy smell. I'm rather pursuing that wonderful balsamic quality (sans pinene etc.) that I found in my stuff from Singapore. I'll let you know the results of my research.

Please do let me know the results of your research, I will be most interested to hear of them.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by FireSurfer View Post
    Asking "What does Frankincense smell like?" might seem strange to ask from
    someone who has burned tons of frankincense. Formerly all I could say was
    "Frankincense smells like frankincense" which describes absolutely nothing to
    someone who has never experienced the aroma.

After pondering on the aroma I now say "Frankincense has a smell of pine and
    lemon combined with a dry woody aroma." Would others on this forum agree with
    me? What do you think frankincense smells like?

One reason I ask this question is this: I have an incense formula in which I
    want the frankincense to be the dominant scent. However, no matter how much
    frankincense I add to the formula the other scents will not allow frankincense to be the dominant fragrance (I cannot reduce or eliminate the other scents for certain reasons other than fragrance for which they are included in the formula).

I have tried adding frankincense CO2 oil and this helps, but it still is not
    strong enough. Also the oil seems to evaporate after some time passes.

I have thought of trying a franknincense absolute. Do you think that would work?

Does such a thing as "Concentrated frankincense" or "Concentrated frankincense
    oil" exist?

By asking what frankincense smells like I am looking for the strongest notes in
    frankincense with the hope that I could accentuate it with a stronger resin. For
    example : If frankincense smells like pine and lemon, then I could add pine and
    lemon. Both of these scents are much stronger than frankincense and could boost
    the frankincense notes in the formula.

In conclusion:

(1)What do you think frankincense smells like?

(2)How can I magnify the scent of frankincense in my formula?

Thanks
    FIRESTARTER,
    I'm pretty much addicted to the smell of frankincense. And, the very best is not from Africa as many think, but, from Oman. Green is the very best, then white, then brown. This is resin, not oil. But, what I do is crush it up with a morter and pestle, then put it in a large jar, fill it with high quality jojoba oil, and let it sit at medium heat for about 4 hours. Stir every now and then. Now, take this great smelling oil and pour it through cheesecloth to filter it. Then put in small dark jars. This is the finest and cheapest way to enjoy the finest frankincense in the world. I add essential lemon oil, orange oil, and maybe ylang ylang to some bottles, and the smell is just amazing. The amount of resin to crush up is about 2 oz for about 8 oz. of oil. That's the way I did anyway and it made some very heavy oil that I can use as is, but it would work better if I dilute it by half with more Jojoba oil. Once it's in the bottles, go ahead and add any top note you want, and you will be simply amazed at what you made. The savings is also fantastic. Normally a 1 oz. bottle of good Oman frankincense oil sells for $100.00 and up! I get my frankincense direct and the price is great. If you want to get into making your own, let me know and I'll give you the dealer. I pay just $90.00 a kilo for the white superior resin. It comes to less then $3.00 an oz! Hope this helps.

Try adding olibanum resinoid. It will be your base note with frankincense scent profile. Bois ambrene forte can help too.
    Happy perfuming!
    Last edited by jsparla; 27th March 2016 at 11:49 AM.
    On my formulation blog, you will find free perfume formulations and accords. We also provide bespoke perfume formulations.

Thank's I will give it a try. I also want to add real sandalwood and maybe patcholi. Because of the lemon and pine scent of the oil, I like adding a little more lemon to beef it's own scent even higher. Simply amazing oil, and direct from Oman!

We've been playing around with incense quite a lot lately. We had some nice successes with an olibanum labdanum dominant accord with some galbanum to emphasize the top and a little cypress. Ambermax would definately be my number 1 enhancer in the drydown too. Great call! I'm also fan of Bois d'Encense by Robertet. Excellent aromachemical blend to start with and easily tweakable.

I do find that a little vanilla in the base can have great effect. Lately I've been using an oleoresin which is a little less likely to shift into full Amber mode. Unless you actually want to get into the Eaux des Baux vibe, than just add loads of vanillin/ethylvanillin/coumarine.

The fragrance of frankincense is kind of similar to cedar wood, but lighter and more complex.

Frankincense smells like how incense should smell. It smells a little bit like those scented bags of pinecones around Christmas time, but more clear and not as spicy.

It has the slightest bit of muskiness to it, a bit dry like sandalwood, slightly aromatic like camphor, and there's almost something about it that smells like some sort of familiar floral smell ever so slightly like roses, or actually I think it is more like orange blossoms. The odor is kind of sharp but with exquisite after tones.

When I say "exquisite after tones" I mean maybe like the end notes in the fragrance of cloves (without the hot spiciness).