Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Exchanging fragrances received as gifts?

Just received a 3.4oz bottle of Fahrenheit. Now I normally would be ecstatic as this is an all-time great fragrance, but unfortunately I already have it and my bottle is still fairly full (I've had it since 2003 so I don't think I'll be finishing it anytime soon)

I'm wondering if anyone's had any experience returning or exchanging fragrances in dept stores, if any of them will do it if you don't have the receipt? Obviously it's still unopened in the original wrapper

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Exchanging fragrances received as gifts?

I've returned / exchanged things at macy's before without a receipt.

Sephora will aswell. I purchased the item from them but had discarded the receipt. Needed to exchange because of a dodgy sprayer.

I have never returned anything myself, but I know many people who have returned fragrances to stores like Nordstroms and Macys
    without a problem.

So you have a backup. What's wrong with that? For all you or I know Dior might reformulate the stuff again - they're on a streak lately - and you'll wish you'd kept your bottle. I don't like the idea of exchanging gifted fragrances anyway; even if you don't end up wearing it, it's a memento of a particular time, place, and person in your life. But to each his own. To answer your question, stores are flooded this time of year with gift exchanges, so you probably won't need a receipt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    So you have a backup. What's wrong with that? For all you or I know Dior might reformulate the stuff again - they're on a streak lately - and you'll wish you'd kept your bottle. I don't like the idea of exchanging gifted fragrances anyway; even if you don't end up wearing it, it's a memento of a particular time, place, and person in your life. But to each his own. To answer your question, stores are flooded this time of year with gift exchanges, so you probably won't need a receipt.
    There's nothing wrong with it, it's just that if I can exchange it or return it I'd much rather have a fragrance I don't already own that I can use it now or buy something else of immediate utility. As for saving it as a memento, Fahrenheit is now already forever linked to this person having received it as a gift, so regardless of what I do with this bottle in future times when I wear my own bottle of Fahrenheit I will think of this gift

Just received a 4.2oz bottle of Lacoste Essential from my sister for my birthday about a week ago and I already have a 4.2oz bottle with only 45% left. She was so excited to give it to me since she knows how much I love fragrances so I think I'd have a hard time trying to get rid of this one. Looks like my signature for this upcoming summer will reek of Lacoste Essential

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colognejunkie2000 View Post
    Just received a 4.2oz bottle of Lacoste Essential from my sister for my birthday about a week ago and I already have a 4.2oz bottle with only 45% left. She was so excited to give it to me since she knows how much I love fragrances so I think I'd have a hard time trying to get rid of this one. Looks like my signature for this upcoming summer will reek of Lacoste Essential
    Sounds like her gift was an unessential addition to your collection heh heh heh

I kid!

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as it is unopened, I don't think it should be a problem