Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 53 of 53
  1. #31

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    3,114

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    I don't get this watered down EDP.

  2. #32

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by shahor View Post
    Must go and try GPH, if it holds at least any resemblance to Memoir it must be great.
    It is similar in some regards, although I find their moods to be completely different. Memoir is more introspective and dark, almost brooding, while GPH is also slightly introspective, but in an almost casual or indifferent manner. GPH is a serene walk through autumnal woods just as the sun is setting. Memoir is that same walk, hours later plunged into the dark heart of the forest, with a storm brewing overhead.

  3. #33

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I don't get this watered down EDP.
    I don't get how you can call this watered down. It lasts well over 24 hours on me, and I know many others report similar monstrous longevity with this scent.

    Have you ever tried Hermes' Eau des Merveilles, and if so, what kind of longevity do you get from it? The same synthetic is featured prominently in both, so my guess is that if you've tried it you find EdM fleeting, too, and that it's an anosmia issue.

  4. #34

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    3,114

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I don't get how you can call this watered down. It lasts well over 24 hours on me, and I know many others report similar monstrous longevity with this scent.

    Have you ever tried Hermes' Eau des Merveilles, and if so, what kind of longevity do you get from it? The same synthetic is featured prominently in both, so my guess is that if you've tried it you find EdM fleeting, too, and that it's an anosmia issue.
    I don't even get 24 minutes, let alone 24 hours. Never tried Eau des Merveilles. I just call them as I see them. I'm always seeing fellow basenoters get great longevity from scents that don't last IMO. I don't have any anosmia issues, just issues with Amouage's recent lackluster EDP's. He'll, I get fantastic longevity from Homage, Tribute, and Epic Woman Extrait has awesome longevity on me. The quality of raw materials used by Amouage in their EDP's just isn't on par with their prices.

    If you get monstrous longevity, I'm happy for you. Because I don't, doesn't mean something is wrong with me.

  5. #35
    Super Member srellim1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    So strange, I also get 10+ hrs from memoir. There are many that are supposed to have great longevity which simply do not last on me.

  6. #36

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It is similar in some regards, although I find their moods to be completely different. Memoir is more introspective and dark, almost brooding, while GPH is also slightly introspective, but in an almost casual or indifferent manner. GPH is a serene walk through autumnal woods just as the sun is setting. Memoir is that same walk, hours later plunged into the dark heart of the forest, with a storm brewing overhead.
    I LOVE how you describe scents! *hats off*
    Though the picture I get from MM is entirely different. It's not dark at all. To me it smells like a small wooden church (think Eastern Europe) on a hot summer day. With white linen cloth on the altar and field flowers in small vases. Very quiet and peaceful.
    Memoir Woman on the other hand is an entirely different beast. Continuing with church related associations this would be a Gothic cathedral - dark, cold, uninviting, but stunningly beautiful.

  7. #37
    Dependent onethinline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It is similar in some regards, although I find their moods to be completely different. Memoir is more introspective and dark, almost brooding, while GPH is also slightly introspective, but in an almost casual or indifferent manner. GPH is a serene walk through autumnal woods just as the sun is setting. Memoir is that same walk, hours later plunged into the dark heart of the forest, with a storm brewing overhead.
    Very well put. I really like how that connects the two, as well. The flâneur keeps walking...

  8. #38
    Dependent onethinline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I don't even get 24 minutes, let alone 24 hours.
    My wearing yesterday easily went from around 7:30 AM, through the day and into the evening with little loss of presence, though the scent did evolve of course (much more of the dusty woods toward the end). I could still smell it a bit when I woke up this morning. It's rich stuff.

  9. #39
    Dependent onethinline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Duplicate.

  10. #40

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    My wearing yesterday easily went from around 7:30 AM, through the day and into the evening with little loss of presence, though the scent did evolve of course (much more of the dusty woods toward the end). I could still smell it a bit when I woke up this morning. It's rich stuff.
    Agreed! It is tenacious in a good way!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  11. #41

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    3,114

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    My wearing yesterday easily went from around 7:30 AM, through the day and into the evening with little loss of presence, though the scent did evolve of course (much more of the dusty woods toward the end). I could still smell it a bit when I woke up this morning. It's rich stuff.
    I'm glad Memoir Man works for you. I do get great longevity from some scents like "M", Absolue pour le soir, Richwood, Black Aoud, Oud Luban, & Xerjoff Homme. I just mentioned a few because some people think nothing lasts on me, which isn't true.

  12. #42

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    I had Memoir Man. It is really good. I liked the dark woody scent from Memoir Man.
    I have never tested XXV, but Memoir is the best Amouage line by far I have ever tested (I haven´t tested attar lines).
    Unfortunately, I got bored of it after four months, so that I sold it.
    But I do admit, that it smells luxurious with its complexity.

  13. #43

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by shahor View Post
    Must go and try GPH, if it holds at least any resemblance to Memoir it must be great.
    Trust me: there isn't much resemblance. I have a tiny bottle of gucci pour homme, and it isn't very similar, and isn't anywhere near as satisfying as Memoir!

  14. #44
    Dependent onethinline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Trust me: there isn't much resemblance. I have a tiny bottle of gucci pour homme, and it isn't very similar, and isn't anywhere near as satisfying as Memoir!
    Both mix a dusty cedar/guaiac wood with incense and a somewhat sweet, almost gourmand overtone. In both cases the woodsiness feels "creamy." I'm not saying they smell the same -- obviously they don't -- but for me at least they occupy the same general space.

  15. #45

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    I think I might just splurge and get myself a bottle of Gucci PH thanks to this thread. I love Memoir, it has become my #1 (or maybe it was since I first met it, but I was just unable to accept the idea and the dethroning of my previous favorite at the time), and it will be nice to have something suitably similar but different.

    TheBeck: do you get bad longevity with any of the scents that are known to have high amounts of iso e super:


    (Also, I remember reading in an interview somewhere that Fahrenheit was one of or maybe actually the first to overdose ies, and had it at like 25% of the composition).

    I'm wondering if it's the IES causing olfactory fatigue, because I do suspect that Memoir is about 25% ies.

  16. #46

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I think I might just splurge and get myself a bottle of Gucci PH thanks to this thread. I love Memoir, it has become my #1 (or maybe it was since I first met it, but I was just unable to accept the idea and the dethroning of my previous favorite at the time), and it will be nice to have something suitably similar but different.

    TheBeck: do you get bad longevity with any of the scents that are known to have high amounts of iso e super:


    (Also, I remember reading in an interview somewhere that Fahrenheit was one of or maybe actually the first to overdose ies, and had it at like 25% of the composition).

    I'm wondering if it's the IES causing olfactory fatigue, because I do suspect that Memoir is about 25% ies.
    Exactly what I was thinking, there are SO MANY frags with lots of IES these days.

    Memoir has a pretty large dose and it sticks out prominently in the drydown, which pretty makes short longevity with this frag an impossibility. But I could definitely see it seeming to fade away after an hour or two if you're anosmic to IES.

    Also, GpH 1 is gross, a total IES bomb combined with other mostly synthetic ingredients, including the same smoky incense note used in CDG 2Man. I sold mine pretty quick.

  17. #47

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    So, I went shopping today and wanted to test GPH. 'Not available anymore' - was the official answer in two shops that I visited. *snif* It must have been a good frag. They always discontinue the good ones.

  18. #48
    Dependent onethinline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by shahor View Post
    So, I went shopping today and wanted to test GPH. 'Not available anymore' - was the official answer in two shops that I visited. *snif* It must have been a good frag. They always discontinue the good ones.
    I just nabbed a bottle, but had to resort to getting it from eBay, because I'm seeing the same thing: it's out at Sephora (local store and online) and "backordered" on the Gucci web site. Looks like this one may indeed be deleted, as we'd suspected was going to happen. Quite sad; this is an excellent commercial fragrance.

  19. #49

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by shahor View Post
    So, I went shopping today and wanted to test GPH. 'Not available anymore' - was the official answer in two shops that I visited. *snif* It must have been a good frag. They always discontinue the good ones.
    CDG 2 Man is almost exactly the same thing, but slightly better IMO.

    I dislike both of them, but if you like iso-e super based frags you may love them.

  20. #50

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    CDG 2 Man is almost exactly the same thing, but slightly better IMO.

    I dislike both of them, but if you like iso-e super based frags you may love them.
    I find there to be a lot of differences between 2 Man and Gucci PH. Sure, they're both woody/incensey/smooth frags, but 2 Man's emphasis is on a frankincense accord accented with vetiver and a candle wax note, while Gucci is more smooth creamy woods accented w/ incense (barely) and spices.

    I wonder if the IES is blurring the differences for you. I know I've had that kind of thing happen, and still do, when certain chemical sensitivities of mine flare up. I can often pick out the same use of a particular synthetic in frags that nobody thinks are similar, such as for instance, the same amber aromachemical/accord is used in Saks Fifth Ave for Men by Bond, and Fahrenheit 32, although other than that the frags smell nothing alike. Another one is the use of a particular ambergris/labdanum synthetic used by PR Ultraviolet Man and Tauer's LddM, although in this case, I maintain that the frags do share some similarities.

  21. #51

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    3,114

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I think I might just splurge and get myself a bottle of Gucci PH thanks to this thread. I love Memoir, it has become my #1 (or maybe it was since I first met it, but I was just unable to accept the idea and the dethroning of my previous favorite at the time), and it will be nice to have something suitably similar but different.

    TheBeck: do you get bad longevity with any of the scents that are known to have high amounts of iso e super:


    (Also, I remember reading in an interview somewhere that Fahrenheit was one of or maybe actually the first to overdose ies, and had it at like 25% of the composition).

    I'm wondering if it's the IES causing olfactory fatigue, because I do suspect that Memoir is about 25% ies.
    This could be my problem, I'm not sure, but the 10 scents listed I do have problems with longevity on all 10. Thanks for drawing that to my attention. I'll just stay away IES.

  22. #52

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'll just stay away IES.
    Sadly, in the modern market (niche included.. double plus sad), that's a sisyphean task.

  23. #53

    Default Re: Amouage Memoir Man is starting to seduce me

    Woman's better; and that's coming from a bloke.

Similar Threads

  1. Amouage Memoir vs Epic Man
    By chipper in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 28th June 2015, 07:28 PM
  2. New Fragrances: Amouage Memoir Man and Memoir Woman
    By petruccijc in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 10th February 2012, 05:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000