Code of Conduct

Default Could you consider Shalimar unisex?

I have become unbelievably obsessed with fragrences lately. And I have fallen in love with 2 perfumes... Shalimar and Chanel No 19. As a guy who is in the closet and already insecure, I don't want to bring too much attention to myself. But I don't think I can bare not having Shalimar any longer! Could it be unisex? And which one? I believe it was the EDP at Macys I fell in love with but as long as the other variations are similar im okay with it. Thank you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Could you consider Shalimar unisex?

Vanilla oriental and green leather floral are perfectly unisex. (In addition, in this forum, you'll see we don't divide frags in masculine/feminine).

Make sure you don't get the Shalimar Parfum Initial, the newest flanker, but the classic Shalimar. The parfum concentration is (as for most Guerlains) richer, but at $360 for 30ml, quite expensive. The edp (likely what you smelled at Macy) is perfect too.

cacio

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, unisex. Apply with a light touch and you'll be tastily elegant
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Especially today's formulation of Shalimar is very unisex - much drier than the old one.

It is! During the past years, especially in reformulation years 2007-2008, it is totally unisex.
    I never liked it before, but now...I want it very very badly. Leather, vanilla and resins...it is really nice made!
    Last edited by socalwoman; 26th December 2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spam
    http://bleauog.blogspot.com/ - my blog

hmm..actually..I sometimes see Shalimar more on the masculine side..you know,it's not exactly a "pretty" scent, as the new flankers are (not that I don't like Shalimar, I really love it!)...it goes through these really rough and smokey phases..just do it!

Post Thanks / Like

In general, I consider any scent unisex, but Shalimar has indeed the potential to be aptly and easily worn by both genders

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    Especially today's formulation of Shalimar is very unisex - much drier than the old one.
    I have to agree.....the older version was too much for me.....I can see where some could make the older version work.....It was not for me.....The new version is unisex for sure!!!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Agree that the newer formulation is drier than the old-and even before this current formulation,I've always thought Shalimar wearable for a man. The new juice is even more masculine,as others have pointed out. Yes,wear it please! Any concentration will do but I find EDP works best for me as a daily wear scent. I get more citrusy powder than smoky vanilla from EDT but it can be nice when weather is very hot. Extrait is luxurious and unfolds very slowly on me,maybe a little too langourous for everyday.Feel like lying about on a fainting couch fanning myself when wearing it!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 27th December 2011 at 01:29 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Quote Originally Posted by allabouteve View Post
    hmm..actually..I sometimes see Shalimar more on the masculine side..you know,it's not exactly a "pretty" scent, as the new flankers are (not that I don't like Shalimar, I really love it!)...it goes through these really rough and smokey phases..just do it!
    what she said
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

It is unisex, but it is an iconic female fragrance. All the detectives in the tv smell shalimar in the air, and know that a woman was there

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely unisex. On my skin it is not feminine at all, I get a lot of leather, almost no vanilla, in a blind sniff test I'd never know it was a "woman's" fragrance.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

It may be marketed for women, but I feel it's very unisex. Wear it and enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    It is unisex, but it is an iconic female fragrance. All the detectives in the tv smell shalimar in the air, and know that a woman was there

So true!!

No, really, I find it extreeeeemely alluring and sexy (especially the drydown),but in a very niche-genderless way!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't consider really well made fragrances to be (nor should they be) gender specific, I think Guerlain fragrances can be worn by either sex, in the same way Britney Spears/Paris Hilton fragrances can't be

Post Thanks / Like

Yay, Pony. You've got good taste. Wear what you want. It's all about self-expression. Be true to yourself.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - as with all other fragrances also.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - as with all other fragrances also.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

It's cleary a lady's fragrance and should only be worn by men who want to smell like a lady. I enjoy it very much.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a man and I generally don't agree that female fragrances can be comfortably worn by men. I love Chanel #5 and Dune but a man who wears them smells like a woman. Even Diorella and Vetiver Pour Elle, which I love and which Luca Turin recommends for men, smell feminine when I've tried them. Shalimar, on the other hand, smells very unisex to me, especially the EDT. I don't think it's any less masculine than Habit Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Focks View Post
    I'm a man and I generally don't agree that female fragrances can be comfortably worn by men. I love Chanel #5 and Dune but a man who wears them smells like a woman. Even Diorella and Vetiver Pour Elle, which I love and which Luca Turin recommends for men, smell feminine when I've tried them. Shalimar, on the other hand, smells very unisex to me, especially the EDT. I don't think it's any less masculine than Habit Rouge.
    Welcome, Silver.

On this site, many of us believe that gender labels are subjective. This has been discussed over and over, and in one instance the thread was finally locked. Some men happily wear "women's" scents, and some women happily wear those "made" for men.

It's all in the perception.

The important thing is enjoying the scent and smelling good!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...-sensibilities
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I respect that opinion and I wouldn't try to convince anyone otherwise. I can only speak for myself and report my own experiences. I would love to be able to comfortably wear some of my favorite fragrances that are marketed to women (I mentioned 4 of them in my post above) but unfortunately I've found that the gender labels are generally accurate for my taste. Shalimar is the only exception so far. There are those who may agree with me and I think it's important for that view to be part of these discussions.

Post Thanks / Like

Shalimar borders on unisex, for sure. I'm a man and I wear the EDC sorta often (and I'm not even gay!).

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    It's all in the perception.
    That's really the point! Funnily, I love and wear Shalimar (extrait), but I have never considered it my most easy-going frag marketed to women to pull off in public.
    I also have to disagree with the original discussion in this thread. The vintage (zig zag boxed) Shalimar strikes me as the easiest to wear for me, whereas I find the current EdP (Jade Jagger box) very sweetish/vanilla-y for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    That's really the point! Funnily, I love and wear Shalimar (extrait), but I have never considered it my most easy-going frag marketed to women to pull off in public.
    I also have to disagree with the original discussion in this thread. The vintage (zig zag boxed) Shalimar strikes me as the easiest to wear for me, whereas I find the current EdP (Jade Jagger box) very sweetish/vanilla-y for my liking.
    I think the sweeter trend is to interest younger women.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I should clarify that I was referring to the batwing bottles upthread when I mentioned "current" Shalimar. That's where discussion on Shalimar ends for me. I don't want to talk about the re-reformulation in the Jagger bottle. I have nothing nice to say.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Shalimar is gorgeous on either man or woman . Husband has been sprayed with it before and it smells good on him.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Scent is genderless by definition. If it smells good what does it matter whether you have a pair or not? I have the edt and it smells fantastic on me, both to me......and my wife.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think the EDT is less sweet on me (female) fwiw. Just my opinion: I think it would depend on how it smelled on me, how I felt about it and how I felt when wearing it. I would get testers and give them a whirl in a situation where you know you might already feel confident and more secure, then proceed from there. If anyone questions it and it bothers you, blame the fabric softener
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Post Thanks / Like

I love it when my husband wears shalimar, (current edp). He isn't into scents but has worn it to more formal parties, when persuaded.
    Look for a Christmas set with the lotion, I bet it will smell divine on you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I agree.

The older the Shalimar the more masculine it is compared to the current which is more feminine than masculine.

But in the end, masculinity/femininity is subjective.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Also, the higher the concentration (from EDP onwards), the more I personally tend to perceive it as unisex.