Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Still love Antidote after all these years

I've written a lot about this magical, green elixir. Some wonderful posts on this thread above. Antidote, in my humble opinion, is one the best contemporary male fragrances made in the last 5-6 years (when it first was released) in the non-niche, $75 and under price range.

It has such an incredible potpourri of ingredients - wonderfully blended and such a warm and endearing vibe when wearing it.

The rumor has been circulating that it is discontinued for some time now...I am not certain, but I believe it may be the case. Why? No clue.

I love layering the After Shave Lotion (125ml) Spray that has wonderful emollients for your skin or even the excellent After Shave Balm (in the tube) with the EdT. It is a scent that I feel, works year-round...it's actually is one of the few fragrances that gets compliments from people who smell it different that what I, the wearer, smell. A mysterious potion with a very large scent pyramid that shows various notes more predominantly at different times during the wearing, with body heat and climate. Yet, people seem to always smell something different than I do - but love it!

Antidote - while it may not be the cure for the common cold - it definitely shows incredible depth, breadth and quality.

Cheers.

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I personally think it's a truly wonderful scent and glad I have it.
    word
    My astonishing Top 10 fragrances :

1. Hombre by Victorio & Lucchino
    2. Antidote Viktor&Rolf
    3. Pure Havane Thierry Mugler
    4. Ambre Baldessarini
    5. Pure Malt Thierry Mugler
    6. Ultrared Men Paco Rabanne
    7. Jacques Fath pour L`Homme
    8. Silver Scent Jacques Bogart
    9. Chastity Men Rasasi
    10. Blue Sugar Aquolina

I love the opening. It smells exactly like something I'd wear often...then it all goes wrong : (

There's a note that gives me a terrible migraine. I wish it didn't.

It would definitely be terrible if it had been axed. V&R still list it on their website.

Out of stock on most places. I should find out a replacement bottle!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

so much going on, it has no focus

so many notes , not one are prominents

I like the Antidote. I don't wear it very often, but when I do I enjoy it and wonder why I don't wear it more, then proceed to forget about it for indeterminate amounts of time.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    so much going on, it has no focus

so many notes , not one are prominents
    I hear that a lot, but I still don't see it as a problem. Why do some notes *have* to be prominent?

I concur with Riverwide -

There are a lot of notes, nuances, accords, subtleties, overtones and undertones. Climate, body temperature, how and where it is applied...all contribute to what one experiences with Antidote, like a lot of other fragrances.

People who have a hard time letting a fragrance offer something unique with each wearing and not always the same prominent notes are rather insecure. A trained nose can break down a wearing of Antidote and find prominent notes for that specific wearing...but, it may change the next time it is worn. I like this aspect of it and find myself enjoying the dynamic nature of the composition. An incredible blend and broad palate of notes - but not for everyone...if they are not able to let the scent present itself uniquely. I like this aspect and don't consider it a challenge but rather a by-product of the brilliance that Antidote has to offer.

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I hear that a lot, but I still don't see it as a problem. Why do some notes *have* to be prominent?
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

"after all these years"????????
    Currently wearing: Halston Z-14 by Halston

Never tried Antidote. Will check it out when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    "after all these years"????????
    I've had it since its release in '06, so I think it's safe to say "all these years"
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Dependent

Well, I happened upon a mini of Antidote at my local dinky perfume kiosk, and finally had a chance to do a full wearing. It is similar to Gucci Envy for Men as stated, with the addition of iris. The amber is turned up. These two accords in combination make it simply too thick, sweet, and powdery for me -- they overwhelm the nice aromatics and woods. Ah well.

Still, a well-made fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I've had it since its release in '06, so I think it's safe to say "all these years"
    I can see why you would like it so much. I've worn it in the heat and got a cloying sweetness out of it and the next day have smelled a really nice and well balanced incense. I know that many people talk about fragrances changing on the skin because of body chemistry and external environmental factors, but with Antidote it's not just a subtle change it's an obvious one.
    Currently wearing: Supremacy Silver by Afnan

I love the sweetness in this one and find it hard to imagine others would find it overbearing. It's nowhere near 1 Million or its ilk, and to my nose is less sweet than things like Dior Homme, Chergui, and many other favorites here.

Occasionally the iris really jumps out when I wear this scent and when it does, I feel like it's the best rendition of iris I've ever smelled. It's kind of like Dior Homme's iris, but slightly less plasticky. I've heard rumor that Olivier Polge and Carlos Benaim may have also worked on this scent (usually only Pierre Wargnye and Alienor Massenet are listed as the perfumers) and if that's true, I'd have to reconsider my dislike of O. Polge!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Hi silentrich -

Bingo. I concur that the changes are very obvious from wearing to wearing (and even within an extended wearing) - if out in the cold, and then you warm up...it shows incredibly different. Same with in an air-conditioned home and then out into the heat - except, I really have never felt it was ever cloying, overly sweet or unbalanced. It is not an easily-understood fragrance, but a composition of incredible quality and is both thought-provoking and receives many compliments! And, as I previously stated - very often others smell different notes than I do during a wearing. It is what each individual's nose seems to recognize and grab onto (but surrounded by a melange of brilliant subtleties and accords)...never had a bad wearing.

Cheers,

ericrico

PS - It looks like this is discontinued...for some strange reason. I believe it surpasses the depth and quality of many niche bottles out there that have a large following. Prices are only going to go up.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I can see why you would like it so much. I've worn it in the heat and got a cloying sweetness out of it and the next day have smelled a really nice and well balanced incense. I know that many people talk about fragrances changing on the skin because of body chemistry and external environmental factors, but with Antidote it's not just a subtle change it's an obvious one.

Dependent

By the way, to me this frag comes off as quite natural. I did get the (non-synthetic) plasticky effect you guys are talking about -- that is a typical impression from orange blossom, which I see now is listed as a note. Orange blossom absolute is some interesting stuff -- SoS knows what I'm talking about. I didn't get the jasmine as distinctly on my wearing.

It's certainly strange stuff. I love wearing it, but I have no idea why.

Interesting point on orange blossom's "presence" in Antidote, MonkeyBars.

To me, as well, this composition has a rather natural feel - a lot of blending, obviously with all the notes that are in this.

Will wear soon and chime-in. Love the After Shave Lotion Spray - anybody else here have that? Wonderful, rich and a perfect base for the EdT. Even the After Shave Balm (in the tube) is of excellent quality.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    By the way, to me this frag comes off as quite natural. I did get the (non-synthetic) plasticky effect you guys are talking about -- that is a typical impression from orange blossom, which I see now is listed as a note. Orange blossom absolute is some interesting stuff -- SoS knows what I'm talking about. I didn't get the jasmine as distinctly on my wearing.

I bought a 75ml bottle today, as I haven't had a bottle of this stuff in over 2 years. I'm in love with it all over again. A friend of mine who was up close to me earlier, was raving about "the amazing smell" and was demanding to know what the name of the fragrance was!

Love to see this Antidote love!

Question for those who own the aftershave balm: does it smell radically different than the scent? I bought some of the balm when it was on sale ofr like $12 or something, and it smells good but quite different from the scent. So much so that I don't wear it with the scent as it seems like they'd clash rather than compliment one another (although I've not yet tried them together).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

On the contrary, SculptureOfSoul -

I found it to be a very nice After Shave Balm, light in consistency (rather fluid - not too thick, which I like) and the aroma created a nice base for Antidote. I don't get a clash.

However, I do want to mention the After Shave Lotion Spray - which is wonderful and wears like Antidote in Eau de Cologne strength. My preferred wearing (after a fresh shave) is to apply nice amount of the After Shave Lotion Spray after a thorough rinsing of nice lathered soap and very cold water to soothe my skin. This really tones the skin. After it dries down, I like to apply a decent (dime-sized dollop) of the After Shave Balm for a moisturizing effect. Once it settles, I usually apply either the EdT or a few more shots of the After Shave Lotion and then layer it with the EdT.

Regardless - it wears incredibly well, altogether...I also was lucky enough to get the nice Shower Gel as well.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Love to see this Antidote love!

Question for those who own the aftershave balm: does it smell radically different than the scent? I bought some of the balm when it was on sale ofr like $12 or something, and it smells good but quite different from the scent. So much so that I don't wear it with the scent as it seems like they'd clash rather than compliment one another (although I've not yet tried them together).

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar

One of my very favorite scents. I'm glad I have a great majority of my bottle left since it seems to be getting scarce.
    I don't have a signature fragrance. My signature changes a little bit every day, why shouldn't my fragrance?
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

Thanks ericrico,

Perhaps my balm went off then. Once finances permit, I'm going to have to look into getting the shower gel and after shave spray, as lately I'm more interested in having a few scents that I LOVE and all of their accompanying products than a huge collection, most of which I never wear.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    On the contrary, SculptureOfSoul -

I found it to be a very nice After Shave Balm, light in consistency (rather fluid - not too thick, which I like) and the aroma created a nice base for Antidote. I don't get a clash.

However, I do want to mention the After Shave Lotion Spray - which is wonderful and wears like Antidote in Eau de Cologne strength. My preferred wearing (after a fresh shave) is to apply nice amount of the After Shave Lotion Spray after a thorough rinsing of nice lathered soap and very cold water to soothe my skin. This really tones the skin. After it dries down, I like to apply a decent (dime-sized dollop) of the After Shave Balm for a moisturizing effect. Once it settles, I usually apply either the EdT or a few more shots of the After Shave Lotion and then layer it with the EdT.

Regardless - it wears incredibly well, altogether...I also was lucky enough to get the nice Shower Gel as well.

Cheers,

ericrico
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I've been on the verge of buying myself a bottle for quite some time now.. Maybe it's about time.