Code of Conduct

Default Still love Antidote after all these years

Wore this again after who knows how long and damn, do I ever love it. Antidote by V&R is a great fragrance. I perceive it differently than I did years ago before I was had experience with natural oils/absolutes and the like. What once was a slightly plasticky feel is now perceived as the resinous quality of raw frankincense tears (try tasting some pure frankincense - it's entirely edible and has a unique taste, and by doing so you'll really get the resinous aspect I'm talking about). This element reaches way up into the top and augments the grapefruit and bergamot there. Excellent perfumery, there, especially as the effect fades in the heart to make room for the florals, but never disappears entirely as the incense facet is the spine of the fragrance.

The heart is a many splendored thing, there. First there is the lavender which is present right from the start. Then the wonderfully rendered orange blossom, and finally one of the best jasmine notes I've smelled in a men's scent. Some have commented on my love of both Reflection Man and Antidote (and Antidote was my first true love - the first scent that really bowled me over and got me to shell out a whopping - at the time at least lol, it was my first 'big' scent purchase - $80 for a big bottle). The common link between the two is the jasmine note (and to a lesser extent, the orange blossom). But, I honestly think the jasmine in Antidote is better than Reflection. It's absolutely fantastic and I do not doubt that there is some real jasmine sambac absolute in the scent. Interestingly, in the long notes list of Antidote the only note that is listed as an absolute (and the only note with any specific qualifier at all) is the jasmine, which reads "Jasmine sambac absolute."

Anyhow, the jasmine and incense over a light leather and woody vanillic base is absolutely superb. A lot more could be said about the base, actually - I think it's expertly crafted - but I'll cut the post short because otherwise I'll end up writing a small book. I don't find the scent very synthetic at all - some of the slightly scratchy notes in the base are prevalent in the listed notes such as guiacwood, white cedar, etc. And while it's not an avant-garde composition it truly is masterful at what it does and I think qualifies as a modern masterpiece, not only for its extreme versatility, but also for the countless ingenious technical touches that are present in the composition. Thankfully, none of those touches are ever ostentatious or showy. In fact, they may be too well integrated as so many people find this to be a relatively "common" scent, of which it is anything but!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Still love Antidote after all these years

I'll go smell it now. There's a Sephora next door.

for swap/sale:

They've got Antidote at Sephora there? Wow, your Sephoras are better than mine!

Note - this one needs skin. On paper the citrus and floral elements dominate and it feels thin, while skin adds the necessary warmth and rounding effect.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I bought the 125ml bottle can't wait!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    ... while it's not an avant-garde composition it truly is masterful at what it does ... so many people find this to be a relatively "common" scent, of which it is anything but!
    +1 ...

I personally think it's a truly wonderful scent and glad I have it.

Sampled this one a few weeks ago and its on my "to buy" list for sure. What a lovely and complex fragrance.

This was my Christmas Sotd.....A Fantastic masterpiece that lasted all day long.....A wonderful fragrance for sure!!!
    Gary

Blog Entries

I need to revisit this. I only sniffed it near the beginning of my serious fragrance study, and waffled. I did think it was highly original. Thanks for this thread!

Antidote has so much depth and it's like a journey wearing it each time. I swear I pick up different things in it each wear. To me, this comes off as a very sensual and sexy "bedroom" scent; a "pull me in closer for a better whiff" scent. Another one of those frags I don't hear much about but I feel like is worth it for everyone to check out a sample for a couple days use; and definitely on skin as mentioned. Another great thread and read, SoS!

Dam, i want to try this stuff, been hearing about it for too long. Wish it was accessbile to test at local store!

If I remember correctly, this was released about the same time as Terre d'Hermes as I picked them up at the same time.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Some say it is a tumultuous melange of too many notes piled haphazardly, one upon another.

Minty Citrus, Lavender, smokey musk and a whole lot more. I find it to be compelling from start to finish, which in my case takes about 10 hours!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

My ex boyfriend bought this for his previous boyfriend. I get so jealous when thinking about this fragrance. I don't like this fragrance only because of this history. I haven't really tried to revisit it.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    This was my Christmas Sotd.....A Fantastic masterpiece that lasted all day long.....A wonderful fragrance for sure!!!
    Gary
    I wore it on Christmas too, and have worn it nonstop since!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Does anyone know if this is discontinued? It seems to be out of stock at a lot of the bigger online retailers.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I snagged an amazing deal on eBay when I picked it up. Haven't needed to restock yet but I haven't heard about it being discontinued. V&R are releasing Spicebomb (I think that's what the name is) soon. Really looking forward to sampling that as I was addicted to Flowerbomb on my ex and hoping this is another one I'll fall for but for me

The 4.2 oz bottle is almost impossible to come by now, and many places are out of the 2.5oz bottle, too. The thought of this being discontinued scares me. I always heard good things about it and imagined it was selling well. Hope it's just a distribution problem.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Oh wow.. Just looked on eBay and there are not as many as when I purchased mine.. Going to try to find a large bottle soon so I'm not left hanging for this one in the future

This is one of not many fragrance that I actually think stinks.
    Had it,
    Sprayed it
    Sold it.

Cmax...

Ah I wish I could find the love. My 125ml bottle just sits there unloved. Somehow I just never find myself wanting to wear it. I just come back to it from time to time to see if I finally "get it". Maybe I never will.

Does anyone know if this is discontinued? It seems to be out of stock at a lot of the bigger online retailers.
    I was at a Dillards in a town not too far from here about a week before Christmas and they had their shelves stocked full of Antidote.

Here it is at least:
    http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

That's where i bought mine. It's a great scent, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by colognejunkie2000 View Post
    I was at a Dillards in a town not too far from here about a week before Christmas and they had their shelves stocked full of Antidote.
    Thanks, that is reassuring. Do you happen to know if they had the large 4.2 ounce (125ml) bottle? I'm just curious if that is being phased out or not as it seems most online discounters don't have it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Thanks, that is reassuring. Do you happen to know if they had the large 4.2 ounce (125ml) bottle? I'm just curious if that is being phased out or not as it seems most online discounters don't have it.
    Now that you mention it, I don't believe they had 4.2oz bottles. I also noticed that fragrancex used to have their 2.5 bottles going for $56 and now they are $75. Quite the price hike!

Surely there's better out there for $75?

Sculpture, this is a great thread. I confess to owning a bottle of Antidote and never really warming up to it- however, your nose is one that I respect the most and after reading this thread, I think I need to get out the Antidote and spend some time with it.

The thing that put me off it was when I bought my bottle (got a good deal on it) and wore it to work, i thought it smelled like burned plastic. And eerily, a coworker asked me if I smelled something burning... That galvanized my opinion.

There are a LOT of notes in this one. The overall effect for me ends up being like one of those little candy necklaces that are made from candy that taste a little bit like Smarties.

I'm testing it again now-- along with your description of the notes and I am getting the nice jasmine notes that you mention. I may have to take a few days and wear it straight to see if it "grabs" me. I always thought it was an interesting release with its marketing campaign and awesome bottle. I'll have to reevaluate this.

I loved it at first, but I'm not interested in it anymore, it's in my trade/sell pile. The bottle design for this one is great though!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Sculpture, this is a great thread. I confess to owning a bottle of Antidote and never really warming up to it- however, your nose is one that I respect the most and after reading this thread, I think I need to get out the Antidote and spend some time with it.

The thing that put me off it was when I bought my bottle (got a good deal on it) and wore it to work, i thought it smelled like burned plastic. And eerily, a coworker asked me if I smelled something burning... That galvanized my opinion.

There are a LOT of notes in this one. The overall effect for me ends up being like one of those little candy necklaces that are made from candy that taste a little bit like Smarties.

I'm testing it again now-- along with your description of the notes and I am getting the nice jasmine notes that you mention. I may have to take a few days and wear it straight to see if it "grabs" me. I always thought it was an interesting release with its marketing campaign and awesome bottle. I'll have to reevaluate this.
    Thanks Indie Guy. I always respect your opinion on scents too, and would love to hear your full evaluation of this scent after trying it some more. I've been wearing it basically non-stop for the last 5 or 6 days and I think that this scent - my first true fragrance love - may end up becoming my signature.

My description above left out key elements like the working of the spices in the heart (there's a pretty big nutmeg note in there), the textural changes throughout (I do get the plasticky vibe but to me its more incense resin and candle wax, not that dissimilar to the texture present in CDG's 2 Man, minus the vetiver), and so many other components. I swear I get a bit of black currant along with the jasmine. I remember years ago when I first sampled it I thought I detected a hint of "cat pee" in the scent. It wouldn't be until much later that I familiarized myself with black currant absolute and found that same 'cat pee' note within. It's odd because I hate the ammonia-heavy smell of real cat pee but absolutely love black currant absolute - and the similar note I find within Antidote - despite their hints of similarity.

I'm curious if you detect any black currant in this scent. Sometimes I seem to get it rather strongly, other times not much at all, but I swear there is some in here (which would be funny as it would actually be an unlisted note in a scent with one of the largest pyramids of all ).
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 30th December 2011 at 07:44 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I wore it on Christmas too, and have worn it nonstop since!
    This is the perfect Christmas Scent.....I enjoyed this the whole day.....Simply a fantastic fragrance!!!
    Gary

Basenotes Plus

I've written a lot about this magical, green elixir. Some wonderful posts on this thread above. Antidote, in my humble opinion, is one the best contemporary male fragrances made in the last 5-6 years (when it first was released) in the non-niche, $75 and under price range.

It has such an incredible potpourri of ingredients - wonderfully blended and such a warm and endearing vibe when wearing it.

The rumor has been circulating that it is discontinued for some time now...I am not certain, but I believe it may be the case. Why? No clue.

I love layering the After Shave Lotion (125ml) Spray that has wonderful emollients for your skin or even the excellent After Shave Balm (in the tube) with the EdT. It is a scent that I feel, works year-round...it's actually is one of the few fragrances that gets compliments from people who smell it different that what I, the wearer, smell. A mysterious potion with a very large scent pyramid that shows various notes more predominantly at different times during the wearing, with body heat and climate. Yet, people seem to always smell something different than I do - but love it!

Antidote - while it may not be the cure for the common cold - it definitely shows incredible depth, breadth and quality.

Cheers.

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I personally think it's a truly wonderful scent and glad I have it.
    word
    My astonishing Top 10 fragrances :

1. Hombre by Victorio & Lucchino
    2. Antidote Viktor&Rolf
    3. Pure Havane Thierry Mugler
    4. Ambre Baldessarini
    5. Pure Malt Thierry Mugler
    6. Ultrared Men Paco Rabanne
    7. Jacques Fath pour L`Homme
    8. Silver Scent Jacques Bogart
    9. Chastity Men Rasasi
    10. Blue Sugar Aquolina

I love the opening. It smells exactly like something I'd wear often...then it all goes wrong : (

There's a note that gives me a terrible migraine. I wish it didn't.

It would definitely be terrible if it had been axed. V&R still list it on their website.

Out of stock on most places. I should find out a replacement bottle!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

so much going on, it has no focus

so many notes , not one are prominents

I like the Antidote. I don't wear it very often, but when I do I enjoy it and wonder why I don't wear it more, then proceed to forget about it for indeterminate amounts of time.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    so much going on, it has no focus

so many notes , not one are prominents
    I hear that a lot, but I still don't see it as a problem. Why do some notes *have* to be prominent?

Basenotes Plus

I concur with Riverwide -

There are a lot of notes, nuances, accords, subtleties, overtones and undertones. Climate, body temperature, how and where it is applied...all contribute to what one experiences with Antidote, like a lot of other fragrances.

People who have a hard time letting a fragrance offer something unique with each wearing and not always the same prominent notes are rather insecure. A trained nose can break down a wearing of Antidote and find prominent notes for that specific wearing...but, it may change the next time it is worn. I like this aspect of it and find myself enjoying the dynamic nature of the composition. An incredible blend and broad palate of notes - but not for everyone...if they are not able to let the scent present itself uniquely. I like this aspect and don't consider it a challenge but rather a by-product of the brilliance that Antidote has to offer.

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I hear that a lot, but I still don't see it as a problem. Why do some notes *have* to be prominent?
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

"after all these years"????????

Never tried Antidote. Will check it out when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    "after all these years"????????
    I've had it since its release in '06, so I think it's safe to say "all these years"
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Dependent

Well, I happened upon a mini of Antidote at my local dinky perfume kiosk, and finally had a chance to do a full wearing. It is similar to Gucci Envy for Men as stated, with the addition of iris. The amber is turned up. These two accords in combination make it simply too thick, sweet, and powdery for me -- they overwhelm the nice aromatics and woods. Ah well.

Still, a well-made fragrance.

I've had it since its release in '06, so I think it's safe to say "all these years"
    I can see why you would like it so much. I've worn it in the heat and got a cloying sweetness out of it and the next day have smelled a really nice and well balanced incense. I know that many people talk about fragrances changing on the skin because of body chemistry and external environmental factors, but with Antidote it's not just a subtle change it's an obvious one.

I love the sweetness in this one and find it hard to imagine others would find it overbearing. It's nowhere near 1 Million or its ilk, and to my nose is less sweet than things like Dior Homme, Chergui, and many other favorites here.

Occasionally the iris really jumps out when I wear this scent and when it does, I feel like it's the best rendition of iris I've ever smelled. It's kind of like Dior Homme's iris, but slightly less plasticky. I've heard rumor that Olivier Polge and Carlos Benaim may have also worked on this scent (usually only Pierre Wargnye and Alienor Massenet are listed as the perfumers) and if that's true, I'd have to reconsider my dislike of O. Polge!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Plus

Hi silentrich -

Bingo. I concur that the changes are very obvious from wearing to wearing (and even within an extended wearing) - if out in the cold, and then you warm up...it shows incredibly different. Same with in an air-conditioned home and then out into the heat - except, I really have never felt it was ever cloying, overly sweet or unbalanced. It is not an easily-understood fragrance, but a composition of incredible quality and is both thought-provoking and receives many compliments! And, as I previously stated - very often others smell different notes than I do during a wearing. It is what each individual's nose seems to recognize and grab onto (but surrounded by a melange of brilliant subtleties and accords)...never had a bad wearing.

Cheers,

ericrico

PS - It looks like this is discontinued...for some strange reason. I believe it surpasses the depth and quality of many niche bottles out there that have a large following. Prices are only going to go up.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I can see why you would like it so much. I've worn it in the heat and got a cloying sweetness out of it and the next day have smelled a really nice and well balanced incense. I know that many people talk about fragrances changing on the skin because of body chemistry and external environmental factors, but with Antidote it's not just a subtle change it's an obvious one.

Dependent

By the way, to me this frag comes off as quite natural. I did get the (non-synthetic) plasticky effect you guys are talking about -- that is a typical impression from orange blossom, which I see now is listed as a note. Orange blossom absolute is some interesting stuff -- SoS knows what I'm talking about. I didn't get the jasmine as distinctly on my wearing.

It's certainly strange stuff. I love wearing it, but I have no idea why.

Basenotes Plus

Interesting point on orange blossom's "presence" in Antidote, MonkeyBars.

To me, as well, this composition has a rather natural feel - a lot of blending, obviously with all the notes that are in this.

Will wear soon and chime-in. Love the After Shave Lotion Spray - anybody else here have that? Wonderful, rich and a perfect base for the EdT. Even the After Shave Balm (in the tube) is of excellent quality.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    By the way, to me this frag comes off as quite natural. I did get the (non-synthetic) plasticky effect you guys are talking about -- that is a typical impression from orange blossom, which I see now is listed as a note. Orange blossom absolute is some interesting stuff -- SoS knows what I'm talking about. I didn't get the jasmine as distinctly on my wearing.

I bought a 75ml bottle today, as I haven't had a bottle of this stuff in over 2 years. I'm in love with it all over again. A friend of mine who was up close to me earlier, was raving about "the amazing smell" and was demanding to know what the name of the fragrance was!

Love to see this Antidote love!

Question for those who own the aftershave balm: does it smell radically different than the scent? I bought some of the balm when it was on sale ofr like $12 or something, and it smells good but quite different from the scent. So much so that I don't wear it with the scent as it seems like they'd clash rather than compliment one another (although I've not yet tried them together).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Plus

On the contrary, SculptureOfSoul -

I found it to be a very nice After Shave Balm, light in consistency (rather fluid - not too thick, which I like) and the aroma created a nice base for Antidote. I don't get a clash.

However, I do want to mention the After Shave Lotion Spray - which is wonderful and wears like Antidote in Eau de Cologne strength. My preferred wearing (after a fresh shave) is to apply nice amount of the After Shave Lotion Spray after a thorough rinsing of nice lathered soap and very cold water to soothe my skin. This really tones the skin. After it dries down, I like to apply a decent (dime-sized dollop) of the After Shave Balm for a moisturizing effect. Once it settles, I usually apply either the EdT or a few more shots of the After Shave Lotion and then layer it with the EdT.

Regardless - it wears incredibly well, altogether...I also was lucky enough to get the nice Shower Gel as well.

Cheers,

ericrico

Love to see this Antidote love!

Question for those who own the aftershave balm: does it smell radically different than the scent? I bought some of the balm when it was on sale ofr like $12 or something, and it smells good but quite different from the scent. So much so that I don't wear it with the scent as it seems like they'd clash rather than compliment one another (although I've not yet tried them together).

One of my very favorite scents. I'm glad I have a great majority of my bottle left since it seems to be getting scarce.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Thanks ericrico,

Perhaps my balm went off then. Once finances permit, I'm going to have to look into getting the shower gel and after shave spray, as lately I'm more interested in having a few scents that I LOVE and all of their accompanying products than a huge collection, most of which I never wear.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    On the contrary, SculptureOfSoul -

I found it to be a very nice After Shave Balm, light in consistency (rather fluid - not too thick, which I like) and the aroma created a nice base for Antidote. I don't get a clash.

However, I do want to mention the After Shave Lotion Spray - which is wonderful and wears like Antidote in Eau de Cologne strength. My preferred wearing (after a fresh shave) is to apply nice amount of the After Shave Lotion Spray after a thorough rinsing of nice lathered soap and very cold water to soothe my skin. This really tones the skin. After it dries down, I like to apply a decent (dime-sized dollop) of the After Shave Balm for a moisturizing effect. Once it settles, I usually apply either the EdT or a few more shots of the After Shave Lotion and then layer it with the EdT.

Regardless - it wears incredibly well, altogether...I also was lucky enough to get the nice Shower Gel as well.

Cheers,

ericrico
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I've been on the verge of buying myself a bottle for quite some time now.. Maybe it's about time.