Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on La Nuit...

I know women apparently love this, but women also like Twilight and going to the bathroom with their friends. When I first got into fragrances I thought this smelled classy but god knows what I was smoking then. This smells like something Marks and Spencer or Avon would release for £5.99 per 50ml.

Just to clarify - I don't hate this scent. But it's just cheap smelling and "meh".

Default Re: Thoughts on La Nuit...

I almost get you I never thought of La Nuit as classy smell at all! It's very spicy, sweet yet not powdery and that's about it. Women do tend to react strongly on it. For instance, I find Salvatore Ferragamo F Black much better and more "women catching" than La Nuit, not to mention it's off the radar scent, but in style reminds quite much of La Nuit.

You're not alone. It's a not half-bad, not half-good, mediocrity with marketing campaign behind it.

Now the women's La Nuit ( now discontinued ), that was something fierce.

IMO La Nuit reminds me of a "no balls" Opium, which is from the same house (YSL). It´s a good scent but not the great scent many people make it up to be.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Strangely, I do not get as many cheap notes from this one, at least not beyond an intolerable threshold

I'm a big fan of this for sure.....Smells fantastic, has very good longevity, and my Wife Loves when I wear this.....Gary

It's loud but strangely compelling but best suited for going out to nightclubs/social events. I would not wear it casually or formally so I guess it's not that versatile.

It is ok imo.
    I own le parfum and I do have issues with longevity on my skin after 1 hour it is completely gone.

I like this one also, although it's not my favorite in their line.

Basenotes Junkie

Might be My favorite powdery scent

It's borderline too sweet for me.

Dependent

Its definitely in my top 5 hahaha. I agree that it isnt as versatile for certain events. But when it comes to nightclubs and social events like what Jack Hunter mentioned, its one of the best around
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I really love the top and mid notes. So much so, that I almost bought it. However, it was a big disappointment after the 1.5 hour mark.

Blind bought this from a shady website and this stuff was absolutely awful. Needless to say I returned it and wrote this scent off. Then during xmas shopping I happen to spot a tester of this stuff at Carsons...was soooo much better. The opening isn't THAT great..comes off a little feminine to me but the heart and dry down were very well done imo. Liked it so much I came home, jumped on the marketplace forum and bought me a bottle. Anxiously waiting on it to arrive now!

The EdP version has a rich, smooth appeal. It's still a little too bright, sweet, and screechy for my taste, but it is a compliment-getter. Not really an evening scent, IMO. More for an afternoon at the shopping mall.

Dependent

This scent is average to me. Nothing great, nothing terrible. Personally, I like L'homme better.

L'Homme > La Nuit > L'Homme Libre

I find it to share that same redundant drydown every other newly released, highly marketed, middle of the road fragrance has nowadays. Its not bad though, just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbar1104 View Post
    L'Homme > L'Homme Gingambre > La Nuit > L'Homme Libre
    Fixed

I Don't like it . And i see where you coming from .

Although i don't think it's cheap smelling, but it pumps a lot of marketing behind it, that's all....
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Overhyped fragrance in my opinion.I've seen reviews saying that this has similarities with By Man.I totally dont get any similarities between them.

I like it. I like everything with noticeable Cardamom in it. I don't think it smells cheap as in vulgar, but I did actually smell a scent at Marks and Spencer's that was in the same vein, at least in the top notes. I didn't like that one on the whole, and it didn't last very long (and I forgot the name, who cares though right?). I think La Nuit De L'homme is a big-impression going out scent, and it's works as that. I also find it comforting, a good pick me up on a cold day, and a good sleep scent. So it's versatile.

Who are these generic "women" you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Who are these generic "women" you speak of?
    Clearly the SA's at the chemists pushing La Nuit.

Smell nice, but nothing extraordinary.

I think it's pretty nice - but screams "young guy" to me. Like something my nephew would wear.

I can't walk 10 feet without a woman complementing me while wearing La Nuit. Women adore this stuff. I guess it is the sweetness. It is not my favorite scent, but it is probably the biggest complement getter out there among women! Even over L'Homme.
    Last edited by Dark Caesar; 27th December 2011 at 03:59 PM.

Meh... I'm not a huge fan, it's mediocre. Probably good relative to other stuff in Macy's. I can see it's appeal...

I dislike this fragrance and never undrestood why everybody like's this, just don't get it. It is synthetic and cloying, and yes, it smells cheap. This is a very bad perfume from YSL

Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    I know women apparently love this, but women also like Twilight and going to the bathroom with their friends.

If you are talking about this women I will stay away as far as possible. I dont like the scent anyway. Smelled cheap and generic to me too.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

La Nuit
    (1985) is an excellent fragrance by Paco Rabanne.

La Nuit de l'Homme by YSL is a good example of everything that's wrong with perfumery.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

La Nuit

La Nuit de l'Homme by YSL is a good example of everything that's wrong with perfumery.
    He speaketh the truth.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I like the scent but a little too common for me. Kinda boring.

La Nuit by YSL = Run -0f - the - Mill

La Nuit

That's what I'm talking about!

Last year La Nuit de L'Homme was one of my most worn fall/winter evening scents. This year I think I used it once. Glad I didn't buy a 100ml bottle. I wanted to believe the hype last year but it is a very sweet generic smelling fragrance with no depth at all. I got some compliments when wearing it but no more or less than I did while wearing Pure Malt or Burberry London.

Basenotes Junkie

30 steps above armani code

La Nuit

Just out of curiosity, how so?

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how so?
    I second that
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I won't speak for Pluran, but I have experience with both, and:

La Nuit: this was a dramatically animalic fragrance, probably with Jicky parfum, Ungaro II, and My Sin parfum the most animalic I've run across in a mainstream scent ( all discontinued bar Jicky: no surprise ). It was a rich, creamy, smooth floral-leather that felt polished, fierce, and adrogynous. Anyone can wear this, but I feel it appeals more towards the seekers of the bold and unusual.

La Nuit de l'Homme: a soft, kind of bland woody scent. Inoffensive, yet, nothing really stands out about it at all.

The days of Paco Rabanne releasing something really daring and head-turning seem to be over.

Banned

La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent - One is initially exposed to the flowery orange of bergamot accompanied by the dusty cinnamon of cardamom. Attracted by faint lavender, this inviting couple shuffles to the waiting middle. The minty, herbal lavender with its inherent vanilla and the sharp conifer of the virginia cedar subsume the feeble opening, and concoct a powdery, smoky woodiness, with vaulting sweetness, as it flows to the expectant base. Here, at the simmering base, the green and earthy vetiver combines with the hefty vanilla and pine of coumarin, as well as a touch of anise from caraway, to form a saccharine drydown. Teetering on the feminine side, this humdrum composition is a fall/winter scent, and has average projection and good longevity.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    humdrum
    This word sums it up nicely.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bought it and l'm a fan. Sometimes I think whenever something gets a little too popular too quick, there is a backlash. "Synthetic", "boring", ect. Great cologne, especially for the price. Sure its a little sweet in the opening, but I love the drydown.

Basenotes Member

Don't have much experience w/ this one but it is one of the best drydowns i have ever smelt on a tester strip. I plan to own it soon.

just nice!! I wear it (with body kouros) after a match , to calm my anxiety. If not I become an untamed beast
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2