Code of Conduct

Default Torn between Dior Ambre Nuit and Leather Oud

I've eagerly anticipated the opening of our Dior men's boutique, suspecting it would carry the exclusive private collection Dior fragrances I'd heard about. Turns out, it does, and yesterday I walked in for the first time and had a good whiff of Bois D'Argent, Ambre Nuit, Leather Oud, and Eau Noir (stopping short at the Patchouli Imperial). I was a bit scared by Eau Noir's thick lavender, and Bois D'Argent was a bit tame and almondy to me, so I walked around with Ambre Nuit on one wrist and Leather Oud on the other, pretty certain that the latter would be my first choice.

But! Ambre Nuit really grew on me. There's a sweet rose at its heart which doesn't overpower, and it manages to dry down into a warm, rich, welcoming scent without any powder.

Leather Oud, on the other hand, should be an easy sell for me, because it's got the smoky, warm, sweet-funky character I've been trying to hone in on the last month or so (my previous main contender has been Montale's Dark Aoud). It's a dark, beguiling scent, and strangely was the preference of my friends who smelled both it and Ambre on me.

I'm torn as to which to grab first (doubtless I'll eventually get both). The main thing swaying me away from Leather Oud is that I'll likely find more occasions to wear Ambre Nuit. To be fair, though, I kept sniffing Leather Oud up close, which accentuates its animalic funkiness. Maybe it's not so odd a few feet away after all.

In any event, I'm thrilled to have the choice.

Default Re: Torn between Dior Ambre Nuit and Leather Oud

It seems that you like Leather Oud and your friends like Ambre Nuit. I would go with what you prefer yourself as you will be the one wearing it

Quote Originally Posted by stanmar View Post
    It seems that you like Leather Oud and your friends like Ambre Nuit. I would go with what you prefer yourself as you will be the one wearing it
    Actually, it was just the opposite: my friends preferred the stranger Leather Oud!

Actually, I'd be curious whether anyone has experience with how Leather Oud tends to project, and whether it's the sort of thing I could get away with in the daytime, or even, rambunctiously, in my (not too formal) office.

Own both and love both, so you can't miss with either IMO. You should have no problem with Leather Oud in an office setting.

Both of those are fantastic scents. I prefer Ambre Nuit, but that's because I love roses and like amber a lot. IME, Leather Oud doesn't project nearly as much as powerhouses like L'Air du Desert Marocain, Tobacco Vanille or A*Men. I've worn it to the office and will continue to do so.
    Also, I'd recommend giving Eau Noire another try. You do get a lot of lavender at the top, but as it dries down you get an immortelle note that's very sweet (like maple syrup) and that's also reminiscent of curry.

My vote for Leather Oud, which is much more striking. I too don't feel it as overpowering, in any case, if something appeared too strong, you could always tone down by spraying it on clothes, away from the face, etc.

I also think you should smell the other two "orientals" in the series, Patch Imperial and Mitzah. I actually prefer Mitzah to Ambre Nuit; in a way, I feel it is a good middle ground between the smooth amber of Ambre Nuit and the Patch.

(and I do own Eau Noire - but it's in a completely different genre, the fresh, to which it adds the interesting licorice-immortelle twist).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You should have no problem with Leather Oud in an office setting.
    Oh, I'm not sure about that! I love it but I get offhand comments about it's strength when wearing it around the house and I wouldn't risk it in an office, that's for sure.

Anyway - I say go for Leather Oud. It is quite remarkable and one of the most exciting smells of recent times.

Leather Oud is a beast and one of my favourites.

Well, I went with Leather Oud. Now to figure out the right times to wear it! Ambre Nuit will have to wait, but high up the list.

Banned

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Well, I went with Leather Oud. Now to figure out the right times to wear it! Ambre Nuit will have to wait, but high up the list.
    IMO you made the right choice
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I am a huge fan of Leather Oud...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Excellent choice!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Excellent choice!
    +1.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    Leather Oud is a beast
    Agreed. I tested a sample, had a shower the next morning, and you could still smell it on my arm afterwards.

Ambre Nuit is one of my top 5. It's the only amber that I've liked so far.

They're not really comparable as they belong to different genres but between the two Leather Oud is better in terms of creativity, blend and most importantly complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

I also think you should smell the other two "orientals" in the series, Patch Imperial and Mitzah. I actually prefer Mitzah to Ambre Nuit; in a way, I feel it is a good middle ground between the smooth amber of Ambre Nuit and the Patch.

cacio
    Thats what I was about to suggest too. Try Mitzah. Its amber but a bit more complex than Ambre Nuit.

for swap/sale: