Code of Conduct

Default Miss Dior Original

I was just wondering if anyone here wears and owns Miss Dior original.

If you do wear it, how do you wear it? Just spritz it on? How is the parfum? Do you get compliments?

I want to love this fragrance but I feel like it smells like soup. Maybe it's the galbanum.

Thoughts in general?

THANKS xx

PLEASE NOTE I am NOT talking about Dior Cherie

Default Re: Miss Dior Original

I dab. It is a classic scent, a must-know chypre with three essential components and it gets rounded and powdery on me. Never soupy. (I guess you meant it, not "soapy"?)

Speaking of which -- whoever wants to try it, please let me know, I will choose someone. (The mandatory condition -- I have to have your address by the time I have read this message).

I have a vintage eau de cologne, that I wear intermittently. Unrepentantly green, that softens to powder. Amazing longevity.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I have the EDC and the EDT and a mini of the Parfum .I spray or dab depending on the type of bottle.Miss Dior is one of my favorite chypre scents.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    I have a vintage eau de cologne, that I wear intermittently. Unrepentantly green, that softens to powder. Amazing longevity.
    I always felt that the eau de cologne strength in Miss Dior was a masterpiece. Not just a weaker strength, but an interpretation with real stand-alone character. Plus, it was a way to keep wearing Miss Dior in even the hottest weather, when admittedly the extrait and edp could be a bit much.

Can't remember how many bottles of the edc I went through, but it was at least a half dozen. They were always splashes, which makes you generous with yourself!

Had some old, vintage Miss Dior in a strange, metal atomizer (purse size) that turned stone-cold when you sprayed it. It was way, way more leathery than the current version. It was very bold, and you could only use a little bit. The new one is still weird and wonderful, but it's more floral with a hint of leather. The patchouli is still prominent and musty. The sweet vanillic base arrives sooner. All of them have the galbanum up top, but I think that note has been decreasing as formulations go by. And it's still dirty with civit.

Wear it, love it, frequently. I spritz it on liberally and flounce around in a cloud of it. It is potent, even in EdT, but will mellow beautifully as the day goes on. Any excuse to spritz on some more!

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

I tried the original Miss Dior after reading reviews on Basenotes. The minute I sprayed it, I was transformed back to the 70s and realised this is what my sister-in-law (now 60) used to wear when I was a small child. It's very evocative and sophisticated, and I'd wear it if my husband hadn't wrinkled his nose when I asked him what he thought! It does have a TINY bit of mustiness to it, but for some bizarre reason, this works. If it was a woman, it would be Kate Bush. If it was a drink, it would be vodka cranberry.

Blog Entries

You may like to see my blog entry on this one; http://www.basenotes.net/blogs/2645-...?tag=miss+dior

Basenotes Institution

I have only smelled vintage parfum, that a kind and generous Basenoter shared with me a while ago.

I dab it on and yes it smells divine - sort of like Vol de Nuit, if it were a chypre. I wish I had more of it, there's only a teensy amount left.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    You may like to see my blog entry on this one; http://www.basenotes.net/blogs/2645-...?tag=miss+dior
    HA HA HA excellent! I have a propensity to do this as well, personify my perfumes. Bit of fun, nothing more. I love the spectrum of different nuances that perfumes have. Just like people!

My mother wore it in her late 30-ies and I still remember the bottle placed on her drawer. Vintage version is heavenly, go for EdC or Edt. I have pure perfume that I dab only, it's pure elegance and sophistication. Contemporary fragrances are far away from that era.

absolutely agree that miss dior smells like VdN. but between these two, i still prefer miss dior. in small amounts, i think a guy can carry miss dior off...

Miss Dior (original) was my first "grown up" perfume, given to me on my 13th birthday by one of my older sisters. Prior to that I would use my other sisters scents; eau's from rochas, guerlain, givenchy and most importantly eau de Patou. Miss Dior came in a beautiful bottle and it took pride of place on my dressing table (This was at a time when all my friends were wearing avon moonwind).

It was a difficult scent for me to wear then as it is now, heavy, powdery, woody, bitter. And despite its name suggesting youth I found this "Miss" to be more suited to the older spinster - perhaps my sister did not want me as competition!. To others I may well have smelt nice, but I gave up trying to wear it as I absolutely hated the way I smelt.

I adored my sister and wanted to love Miss Dior too, but honestly it never stood a chance ...I was already head over heels with Patou.

Good luck

I have a vintage Espirit de Parfum (80's - early 90's??), this is the only version I have tried. I also find it difficult but am slowly growing to understand its complexity. There is plenty of leather in this, it's quite animalic too. I find the first half hour very challenging, the galbanum is upfront, verging on what I can only describe as a "B.O." note. I love best the lingering powdery drydown with hints of labdanum and sandalwood.

Vintage Parfum is THE definition of chypre.

I wore it in my teens, too, KiaT. It's funny to me now that this was considered an appropriate scent for young girls. I also had No. 19 and Chamade. These were given to me in an attempt to lure me away from musk oil and other scents my family couldn't tolerate. I returned to Miss Dior in my 20s and received only one compliment ever: from a much older man, a family friend, who demanded to know what fragrance it was and told me it was sexy. I now have an old bottle of edc with a broken sprayer. I don't know that I'd wear Miss Dior now but I like to sniff it to remember what fragrances used to smell like.

I am still confused about the name change with Miss Dior and Miss Dior Cherie. I sniffed a bottle recently labeled Miss Dior that smelled NOTHING like I recalled. I thought it must be Miss Dior Cherie that is supposedly now called Miss Dior, but there were also similar looking bottles labeled Miss Dior Cherie (which btw I really liked when it was first released) so I gave up in exasperation as there was no SA around to ask (Macy's) and I doubt they'd be of much assistance anyway (not a kind remark but it is often the case) . They're all over you when you just want to be left alone.

Anyway...what is interesting to me about Miss Dior, and addictive though a bit strange, is the sage note. All of this bitter herb plus the galbanum and the patchouli with a great big gardenia in the midst. There are many old fragrances like that but I think Miss Dior is singularly both strange and beautiful. And now I want to wear it again - but I want a FRESH old formulation. In my dreams.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 19th June 2012 at 01:17 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, Miss Dior reminds me somewhat of Vol de Nuit but Miss Dior is sharper and even for the EDT today , it's strong.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Oooooh vintage Miss Dior, *Swoon*

That said no scent is to everyone's taste. Imagine if we all wore the same!

No point 'wanting' to love something when it isn't to your taste. Find your love

Blog Entries

They have changed the name. (idiots!) Now the real Miss Dior is called Miss Dior Classic or some such thing. Think "Classic Coke" Remember how great that worked out?

I have a 1.7 oz edc in the houndstooth box and ribbed bottle. Not sure if this is vintage but it smells nice. It's very light to my nose from testing but I have never worn it as my fragrance of the day. I do not smell soup or soap.