Code of Conduct

Default Ogallala Bay Rum Cologne Review

Well, I finally got around to buying this stuff. I bought a bottle of the Original Ogallala Bay Rum Cologne and a bottle of the Double Strength "Special Reserve".

In both versions I pick up the obvious notes of clove and cinnamon. But this is a real cinnamon smell, not that synthetic stuff. I happen to like more intensity (plus I have dry skin), so I prefer the amped up Special Reserve, but the Original version is plenty potent. Just like the bottle says "not for sissies", haha. I applied it to my chest and neck and I think I'm stretching out my collar because of my frequent sniffing.

This is a classic bay rum cologne and the vast majority of the ingredients (contributing to the scent itself) are real natural essential oils. It also has a very low alcohol content, something around 5%. Both bay rums have good projection and longevity, as good as your average strength designer cologne. What a superb product if you're into bay rums, or are considering trying one. I could bathe in this stuff. I've been looking for something like this for a long time, a potent Bay Rum with longevity and natural ingredients.

All the positive comments on Basenotes convinced me to give this juice a try. But I also read some negative reviews of it online (other sites) from people who clearly did not follow the directions to "shake well before using". All the natural oils need to be stirred up so the fragrance can come alive.

The owner of the company is a nice guy and provides good customer service. It's obvious he is proud of his products and stands behind them. Something way too rare these days.

In addition, I also have some samples of his other products that I've yet to try on my skin, but smelled really nice from the bottle. Various aftershaves: Lime & Peppercorn, Sage & Cedar, Bay Rum & Sandalwood. He also carries Bay Rum soap, lotion, shampoo and other stuff.

To sum things up, (if you can't already tell) I highly recommend Ogallala Bay Rum products.
    Last edited by jclaxton78; 28th December 2011 at 07:59 AM.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Default Re: Ogallala Bay Rum Cologne Review

A fellow Bay Rum fan I see. I have Dominica, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, Master's, and Hawleywood's Bay Rum and they are all nice. Bay Rum is just such a manly, old school smell.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Institution

I look forward to smelling this.

The bottle I blind bought of Meehan Bonny Doon Bay Rhum was nice for the first few minutes but then something in it (the rum?) makes me a bit nauseous. Every time I wear it the same thing happens.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

[QUOTE=mikeperez23] "I look forward to smelling this".

You can find Ogallala on the general website or on Ebay (he has a store). For first time buyers there is a really good deal offered. For 6$ total you'll get a 2oz bottle of bay rum cologne, but the owner will definitely throw in extras that make the whole purchase a steal. Definitely go for the "special reserve/double strength", as opposed to the regular. It's more potent obviously but not overbearing. At checkout I suggest leaving him a note saying that's the one you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-bottle-Gen...item19cbfde58f
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Bay Rum is just such a manly, old school smell.
    Agreed.

I LOVE this stuff, especially the Lime and Pepper and the Sage and Cedar ones. Be sure to try those, Mike! This guy whipping this stuff up in his house in Nebraska is great! (I'm really surprised nobody has paid much attention to him, but it's probably because his stuff is inexpensive and he's completely unpretentious about what he's doing.)

I purchased the set of all his scents and I like them all. I also have a couple of his shave soaps.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the tips jclaxton78
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I LOVE this stuff, especially the Lime and Pepper and the Sage and Cedar ones. Be sure to try those, Mike! This guy whipping this stuff up in his house in Nebraska is great! (I'm really surprised nobody has paid much attention to him, but it's probably because his stuff is inexpensive and he's completely unpretentious about what he's doing.)

He moved the operation to a bigger location because the business is growing pretty steadily. Duluth Trading Co. now carries his products.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks for the tips jclaxton78
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    He moved the operation to a bigger location because the business is growing pretty steadily. Duluth Trading Co. now carries his products.
    West Coast Shaving does, too. I'm glad he's doing well!

I just thought I'd bump this thread because I've been wearing these again recently, and they really are excellent. As I've mentioned previously, the Lime and Peppercorns and Sage and Cedar ones are the best. I know not everyone appreciates bay rums and "old school" fragrances, but these are so great for this kind of thing that I wanted to share the love for those who have yet to try them - and seriously, you can try them for almost nothing, at least if you're in the US, so why not go for it? You can thank me later.

I've got a sample of the bay rum on the way. Unfortunately however, it seems impossible to get the stuff in the UK at present since the ebayer previously selling it exclusively went belly-up.