Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question New to Dior Homme: worth tracking down the original formulation?

After stiffing samples on paper a few times and not really liking it, I tried a sample of Dior Homme on my skin at Neiman Marcus today and it really grew on me. I was aware of the concern over reformulation, and saw that even though the tester had the silver collar/black straw, the boxes all seemed pretty new. I bought one regardless, as the SA assured me I could return it, even opened, if I didn't like it. Still, now I'm seeing that "vintage" versions with the original formulation are readily available on eBay. My question is, is it that much of a difference that it'd be worth returning the one I bought and buying from eBay? I'm still getting used to the iris/lipstick note, so maybe I'm okay with that not being as strong? Realistically, am I missing out on all that much with the one I bought?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to Dior Homme: worth tracking down the original formulation?

There are 3 types of DH formulations:

Silver ring - Silver tube : lets call it silver-silver
    Silver ring - Black tube : lets call it silver-black
    Black ring - Black tube : lets call it black-black

silver-silver is the original formulation of DH - produced until -2nd week of Sep-2010 code 0W02.
    silver-black is 1st reformulation of DH - produced since 3rd week of Sep-2010 code 0W03.
    black-black V1 is the same formulation as silver-black and produce since Nov-2010 coed 0Y03.
    black-black V2 is a major reformulation of DH and produced since summer 2011 ( I dont know the exact date - maybe 09-2011).

Look at the code at the bottom of the box and use the net to extract the manufacture date.
    Which one do you have ?
    I'll reply to you question after you provide the missing information.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    After stiffing samples on paper a few times and not really liking it, I tried a sample of Dior Homme on my skin at Neiman Marcus today and it really grew on me. I was aware of the concern over reformulation, and saw that even though the tester had the silver collar/black straw, the boxes all seemed pretty new. I bought one regardless, as the SA assured me I could return it, even opened, if I didn't like it. Still, now I'm seeing that "vintage" versions with the original formulation are readily available on eBay. My question is, is it that much of a difference that it'd be worth returning the one I bought and buying from eBay? I'm still getting used to the iris/lipstick note, so maybe I'm okay with that not being as strong? Realistically, am I missing out on all that much with the one I bought?
    Return it and buy Midnight in Paris EDP

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Do you like it? If so, enjoy wearing it. That's all you need to know about the fragrance you just purchased.
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ace11 View Post
    There are 3 types of DH formulations:
    Look at the code at the bottom of the box and use the net to extract the manufacture date.
    Which one do you have ?
    I'll reply to you question after you provide the missing information.
    Just checked my code (1S01) at http://checkcosmetic.net/. It comes back as May 2011. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
    Do you like it? If so, enjoy wearing it. That's all you need to know about the fragrance you just purchased.
    Agree.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

You can try reading:-

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/290...-Reformulation

From my personal point of view:-

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289...t=#post2373114

Quote Originally Posted by teemas View Post
    thanks ace11! I'm going to give my little contribution as a BNer for the first time. Finally got to try out a vintage DH as compared to the first reformulated version (silver-black). Sprayed both on my wrist and smelt them from time to time. Please forgive me as I am a little new to describing frags haha. So at some point of time it might sound weird to veterans here.

The most obvious difference that I noticed between them was the opening. The vintage juice seems quieter than the first reformulation. No idea whats with the opening for the reformulated but it seems alittle 'citrus' to me. As for the dry-down, both actually smell pretty similar to me. Only minor exception is that the vintage juice was 'creamier' than the new one. In terms of longevity and projection, I would rate both equal actually.

Totally agree with Gerard_Butler that the first reformulation isnt that far off from the vintage. Didnt try the black-black version yet but as of now, I wouldnt mind stocking 2-3 of the silver-black before the whole market turns into the black-black bottles
    Since I own both the vintage and reformulated juice, I would say although the vintage was a little more classy, the dry down is very similar. Both will be a keeper
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree.

I don't agree

He can return the product , get refund - and for the same money get a more quality , better, DH fragrance (vintage)

Post Thanks / Like

You might as well while it's still relatively cheap. Look at the current DHI prices!

Post Thanks / Like

So, given that mine looks to be from May 2011, does anyone know whether it's before the latest reformulation? I'd prefer to experience something close to what everyone's raved about, though I'm fine with subtle changes from the original launch version. (I could even be fine with the latest reformulation but I haven't heard from anyone whether it's really that different in practice, not just when carefully compared side by side.)

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I opened the box to have a look. It's a black straw, but I'm not clear on what folks mean about the ring or collar. The bit between the sprayer and the bottle (the "collar," I'd call it) is silver on my bottle. Is this the part that switched to black in more recent formulations? If that's the case, maybe I don't have the most recent after all.

I have a brand new bottle never opened up for sale if your interested 50ML vintage Silver stem vintage. Check out my sales thread

Post Thanks / Like

@onethinline

There is no way you have silver-black from May-2011
    check again the code

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

wow ... have my head spinning with all the discussion about which reformulation and what number and what color straw and collar ... wouldn't it be more simple to just ask, do you like it ...

Post Thanks / Like

@onethinline

check again the code
    The code is 1S01 and that comes back as May 2011. The larger ring between the spray head and the bottle is silver.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

@onethinline

check again the code
    I've got a feeling the whole Black-Black started sometime in July 2011 although I cant confirm that. Nonetheless, I think we all agreed that the collar and stem cant be the best gauge as to DH and DHI's reformulation. For DHI, many mentioned that their black collar had the same scent as the vintage. So I guess the safest way to look at it will be by the date it was produced?

@onethinline: regardless of the stem and collar, how do you find the juice itself? According to ace11's post, yours should still be the closest there is to the original so not to worry too much about it. If not having the vintage really affects you, just change it for a DHI or MiP. Both are good scents too
    Current Top 5:
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teemas View Post
    @onethinline: regardless of the stem and collar, how do you find the juice itself? According to ace11's post, yours should still be the closest there is to the original so not to worry too much about it. If not having the vintage really affects you, just change it for a DHI or MiP. Both are good scents too
    The fragrance itself I'm enjoying. I DO get the iris/lipstick note, though it's not overwhelming, and it's growing on me. There's also a smokey lavender and I'd say a bit of vanilla/cocoa. When first sprayed, there's definitely a burst of bergamot and lavender.

Sillage seems only moderate, but I also didn't spray an awful lot. Next I'll see how long it actually lasts.

I guess my biggest concern is avoiding the most-recent reformulation (the Demachy), assuming it's significantly different. I'd like to experience the same (or close to the same) fragrance that generated all the acclaim in the first place. :-)

(That said, I'm liking Demachy's work on the Dior Private Collection, so could his Dior Homme be such a bad thing?) :-)

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

The fragrance itself I'm enjoying. I DO get the iris/lipstick note, though it's not overwhelming, and it's growing on me. There's also a smokey lavender and I'd say a bit of vanilla/cocoa. When first sprayed, there's definitely a burst of bergamot and lavender.

Sillage seems only moderate, but I also didn't spray an awful lot. Next I'll see how long it actually lasts.

I guess my biggest concern is avoiding the most-recent reformulation (the Demachy), assuming it's significantly different. I'd like to experience the same (or close to the same) fragrance that generated all the acclaim in the first place. :-)

(That said, I'm liking Demachy's work on the Dior Private Collection, so could his Dior Homme be such a bad thing?) :-)
    Awesome! I think the only difference is that the opening for yours is a little stronger than the vintage. Other than that, the drydown is really similar. So if youre in love with the drydown, I would say stick to it! I guess about three sprays should be good enough. Give it a try and let us know hows the longevity like for yours.

Yea its true. No point having the second one which is far from the original. As far as I know, yours shouldnt be the newest. Lets wait for the others to confirm the fact.

Im still trying to find the Dior Private Collection here in Singapore! Heard lots about Dior Leather Oud but I cant even find a tester here!
    Current Top 5:
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir

Post Thanks / Like

Okay good news: I went back to Neiman Marcus and found, hidden away and a bit rattier looking, a box stamped 0Y04 -- November 2010. Should definitely be before the most significant reformulation. Thanks everyone for your help. This frag is really growing on me!

Post Thanks / Like

This stuff is good no matter the version. Period. Blind test without date being revealed would = the same awesome smell.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok. Let me add to this. I have a bottle with silver ring AND silver straw. However, my straw does not say DIOR on the bottom. Is that an original formulation? It really doesn't matter to me. I love the scent. Just curious more then anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting: the November 2010 bottle has the black collar and black straw, whereas the May 2011 had the silver collar, black straw. Testing the Nov. 2010 now. So far, it seems quite similar to the May 2011, if not the same. (If Dior Homme keeps growing on me like this, maybe I'll just keep both bottles!)

Post Thanks / Like

Don't stress over it. My interpretation is that both are great. One is just missed and perhaps due to being the first, is better to those familiar with it.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a (vintage) Dior Homme in one of those specialty fragrance shops at the mall. I've come across D&G By, Davidoff Relax, vintage Xeryus among many others and they either disregard the supply and demand of the fragrance, or just don't know of its rarity. The prices are always reasonable.
    Heck, I wouldn't doubt that Macy's, Sephora and other department stores are still plenty stocked with the silver tube Dior Homme.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, this is interesting. Since I have both the Nov. 2010 and May 2011 bottles right now, I'm doing a side-by-side comparison, one on each arm. Obviously I can't test projection this way, but up close, the May 2011 seems to be retaining more of the lavender top note, even an hour in, whereas the Nov. 2010 is a bit quieter and going more into a cocoa/amber. The May 2011 seems a bit fresher and stronger. Would this have to do with the difference in age, assuming they're both the first reformulation? Right now I'm actually preferring the May 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

i prefer the vintage dior homme because of it's iris note. in the reformulations, the iris note is noticeably less especially in the first hour or so.

so, imo, it is definitely worth getting the original as i personally could not stand the reformulation and its weak iris

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, this is interesting. Since I have both the Nov. 2010 and May 2011 bottles right now, I'm doing a side-by-side comparison, one on each arm. Obviously I can't test projection this way, but up close, the May 2011 seems to be retaining more of the lavender top note, even an hour in, whereas the Nov. 2010 is a bit quieter and going more into a cocoa/amber. The May 2011 seems a bit fresher and stronger. Would this have to do with the difference in age, assuming they're both the first reformulation? Right now I'm actually preferring the May 2011.
    Im not too sure if its the problem with age though haha. The problem here is that some actually prefer the vintage due to the more prominent iris note. In fact, I sometimes feel that the new formulation actually has better longevity than the vintage. Then again I could be wrong or probably the bottle I got was not stored in the best conditions.

From my point of view, stick to what you really like. Or in short, just wear it out and ask your friends (both male and female) to give you some comments. If everyone loves it, why bother so much about the vintage hype What really matters at the end of the day is that you feel confident wearing the scent. Personally I've not tried the vintage DHI too but who cares! I love the reformulated one nonetheless
    Current Top 5:
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir

Does seriel numbers come on the bittom of the juice. I have a box in front of me and it check out just wanna make sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    Does seriel numbers come on the bittom of the juice. I have a box in front of me and it check out just wanna make sure.
    Yes the code should be at the bottom of the bottle.